solzenicyn

Weapon Resting & Deployment Feedback

how do I deploy the bipod? the icon on top shows I can while prone, but pressing Tab or Spacebar (intuitively) does nothing :confused:

how do I deploy the bipod? the icon on top shows I can while prone, but pressing Tab or Spacebar (intuitively) does nothing :confused:

Check your control settings? The default is C, I think.

Ever tried looking in the control settings? It's what most players intuitively do when they are wondering what button does what. Default is "C".

the thing is, the bipod deployed a couple of times for me on its own, it confused me a bit. I use C for going prone, apparently that's why.

as for control settings, I couldn't check them at the time, so I had to post here. thanks

the bipod deployed a couple of times for me on its own, it confused me a bit. I use C for going prone, apparently that's why.

Yeah, I'm not too happy with the default key-mapping either. But then again, it's far more annoying (and frequently, and also deadly) if you auto-magically just stand up all of a sudden, while crawling (i.e. prone) along one of those stone-walls (because of some collision-thingy, but still; couldn't my char. simply *not* move or something instead of standing up?).

Well, that's not really related to bipods, although searching for a good spot for deployment (e.g. along those dang walls) certainly improves your chances...

Shift + Space just like in ACE feels the most natural ;)

Why was it decided to allow deployment without bipods? Why would a weapon become more stabilized when a magical key is pressed? What is the RL equivalent of deploying without bipods? It doesn't make any sense, and it encourage the player to keep on resting his weapon and makes the automatic resting mechanism redundant.

Why was it decided to allow deployment without bipods? Why would a weapon become more stabilized when a magical key is pressed? What is the RL equivalent of deploying without bipods? It doesn't make any sense, and it encourage the player to keep on resting his weapon and makes the automatic resting mechanism redundant.

Resting is incorporating not only the weapon being physically rested, but your elbows too. So you can have weapon resting activated by only having your elbows touch a stable surface, and the pivot point is still on your body. So this would simulate you resting the weapon, or elbows, and sliding it across a surface when you aim. Deployment without a bipod simulates planting the weapon on a surface and using it as a pivot point. Unfortunately atm there's no difference in deployed positions between having a bipod and not, so when you don't have a bipod, your weapon is floating. So its not exactly redundant.

Resting is incorporating not only the weapon being physically rested, but your elbows too. So you can have weapon resting activated by only having your elbows touch a stable surface, and the pivot point is still on your body. So this would simulate you resting the weapon, or elbows, and sliding it across a surface when you aim. Deployment without a bipod simulates planting the weapon on a surface and using it as a pivot point. Unfortunately atm there's no difference in deployed positions between having a bipod and not, so when you don't have a bipod, your weapon is floating. So its not exactly redundant.

Good point. Guess you shouldn't really be able to deploy on the flat ground without a bipod but on structures like walls, rocks and windows,etc it should be no problem. Don't have game in front of me now but sort of can remember deploying on ground without bipod, which, when you think of it, how the heck does thatvwork.?

on structures like walls, rocks and windows,etc it should be no problem.
This is explicitly shown at 1:06 in the DLC launch trailer, the point of contact between the weapon forearm and the cover being the pivot point.

Interesting... I hadn't thought of it that way.

In stable:

When firing prone your aiming moves right even though I'm constantly moving my mouse left and so the deployment deadzone changes:

Confirmed. BIS urgently need to hotfix this.

Resting is incorporating not only the weapon being physically rested, but your elbows too. So you can have weapon resting activated by only having your elbows touch a stable surface, and the pivot point is still on your body. So this would simulate you resting the weapon, or elbows, and sliding it across a surface when you aim. Deployment without a bipod simulates planting the weapon on a surface and using it as a pivot point.

Good explanation, thanks a lot. I would just add that resting is available even on vertical surfaces like walls - if You move tactically along the wall, Your gun is going to be rested as You may support Your hands on the wall. So there are four states of weapon handling:

• Without nay resting and deployment - this is just standard situation
  • Rested against any surface (horizontal or even vertical) provides some degree of increased precision - rewards player for tactical movement
  • Deployed without bipod on a horizontal surface needs explicit action of player and provides even better stability at cost of limited movement - rewards player for tactical decision
  • Deployed with bipod for best stability, but it needs bipod on compatible weapon (or an inbuilt one), which changes weapon handling like inertia and adds to encumbrance - rewards player for strategic decision

I hope it now makes sense :icon_twisted:

Good ,but it doesn't explain why it uses the same animations as with bipod - meaning he is behaving like having a invisible bipod

in DLC stream , there was a difference but i don't see that in the game

Edited by RobertHammer

This is explicitly shown at 1:06 in the DLC launch trailer, the point of contact between the weapon forearm and the cover being the pivot point.

Thanks man, but my point was how on earth is it possible to deploy a rifle on flat ground. in real life you either have it in your hand or on something but never flat bang on the ground.

Edited by twisted

Current weapon deployment causes body either clip into stairs or weird poses while deploying on stairs. lol:p

4iTQT5d.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to cut the pic to a smaller size.

I'd like to see weapon deployment without bidpods disabled when prone.

It simply doesn't make any sense - correct me if I'm wrong!

I'd like to see weapon deployment without bidpods disabled when prone.

It simply doesn't make any sense - correct me if I'm wrong!

This is apparently intended, but I'm of the same opinion as you and would like this to be reconsidered. Their logic is that you are somehow bracing your weapon to become even more stable.

What is nonsensical about this is that you already have an inherent stability boost by the prone stance, and on top of that, 90% of the time you also have the weapon resting boost when you're prone, and then, somehow, without any support, you are able to enter into an even further state where the deploying also gives you benefits.

As it is currently, prone deployment without bipods doesn't look good (clench buttocks to become deployed) and doesn't play good (making other features irrelevant due to the fact you can do it wherever you please with no adverse effects) and doesn't feel good (you're pivoting around a non existant fulcrum).

What is nonsensical about this is that you already have an inherent stability boost by the prone stance, and on top of that, 90% of the time you also have the weapon resting boost when you're prone, and then, somehow, without any support, you are able to enter into an even further state where the deploying also gives you benefits.

BIS Logicâ„¢

As it is currently, prone deployment without bipods doesn't look good (clench buttocks to become deployed)

But think of the workout, 50 reps and you'll have a firm arse in no-time!

With no bipods you can brace weapon on magazine, why wouldn't it work?

If thats the case, why don't the default weapons exhibit this (i.e. them being braced on their respective magazines) instead of simply 'clenching their buttocks' and the weapons still clearly being held above the ground? If its a deliberate feature, surely that would have been the thought behind it and all weapons would do this.

If thats the case, why don't the default weapons exhibit this (i.e. them being braced on their respective magazines) instead of simply 'clenching their buttocks' and the weapons still clearly being held above the ground?

I see, that is valid point because bipods offer vertical height stability, the rifle alone deployed on magazine would be lower to the ground.

It wouldn't work when your weapon doesn't have a conveniently positioned magazine, when the magazine isn't long enough, when it doesn't have a magazine, when it is an internal magazine, when it's a bullpup rifle, etc.

Basic stability like "I'm prone and bracing myself against the ground" or "I'm holding my weapon in a really special way against the ground" is already accounted for in the default prone behavior and additionally benefits are also given by weapon resting.

I know what you mean, but using the magazine to brace your weapon is a no no in the real world. A good shooter braces his arm. Using the magazine is very unstable.

Anyway... That does not matter. The point you were making was that it should be possible to deploy without bipod, and I agree with that. How it's done IRL does not really matter. What matter's is that it can be done.