solzenicyn

Weapon Resting & Deployment Feedback

that's a very strange argument. the average area bipods are located in isn't that big at all. the only thing that would be needed is a vague downwards wave kind of motion. anything is better than the current robotic animation. i mean a specific gesture would be best but knowing BI i don't see that happening. although it shouldn't be to hard to achieve from a technical standpoint actually. it's just like the reload gestures for weapons. it'S extra work though. but i think it's worrth it. and considering the number of bipods it's not even THAT much work.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Some of the game's reload animations are a "vague wave" so having something similar as a bipod animation would probably work. However, its absence wont cause me to lose any sleep, I'd much rather the broken legs that are caused by deploying on a mid-level surface and pitching the rifle's angle up and down be fixed before they start adding things.

Such flexibility :D

IMO the bipod deployment sound its loud. No way, bipods don't make that sound lowering the legs. Missing hold breath with the deployment. Also why with the deployment the turning angle its more reduce to the left than to the right?

Just question, it wouldn't be nice to auto-animate bipod when it is in prone position since AI dont know to deploy?

Just question, it wouldn't be nice to auto-animate bipod when it is in prone position since AI dont know to deploy?

But then you're screwed if you're crawling....it would either re-deploy when you stop (difficult to detect I'd imagine), or you'd crawl around with a deployed bipod.

It would be nice if the AI were able to deploy if they were engaging an enemy and were prone, but to make it automatic when prone is the wrong way to go about it...

But then you're screwed if you're crawling....it would either re-deploy when you stop (difficult to detect I'd imagine), or you'd crawl around with a deployed bipod.

It would be nice if the AI were able to deploy if they were engaging an enemy and were prone, but to make it automatic when prone is the wrong way to go about it...

Yes, would be nice to see AI deploying their weapons which will increase their stability of handling weapons. If so, teach AI to adjust their stance just like a player can do.

Perhaps at the very least, if an AI has a bipod and is prone, their accuracy and stability should increase gradually over a few seconds, but only while they remain stationary. The delay would be to simulate the actual deployment, and so that they wouldn't become super-accurate immediately after going prone. If they move, their accuracy returns to normal levels.

Although I recall a dev saying that they consider the AI to be accurate enough as it is, so I don't think it will happen. The animation of the bipod for AI would be nice for purely cosmetic purposes though.

No constructive feedback here, ignore and move on :D

I'm having trouble using the bipods with the sniper rifles. Because the ground is almost never perfectly flat, my gun always ends up tilted. Because of this, my shots are way off. How can I solve this? Just don't use bipods and snipe like before? How do real snipers get their weapons perfectly horizontal?

No constructive feedback here, ignore and move on :D

I'm having trouble using the bipods with the sniper rifles. Because the ground is almost never perfectly flat, my gun always ends up tilted. Because of this, my shots are way off. How can I solve this? Just don't use bipods and snipe like before? How do real snipers get their weapons perfectly horizontal?

Many bipods are adjustable. You can change leg length, one leg can be brought forward. All of which help with uneven terrain. Then you have the ability to actually see how flat the land is and nudge your rifle over or dig a little trench or many other ways of adjusting either yourself or your rifle/bipod.

To me it seems bis has focused on getting the basics right for launch but there's a lot of refinement needed to make them more intuitive but you'll always need an eye for the better places to deploy which involves a measure of experience/insight which is nice. But the game is much better with bipods and deployment already.

I meant animate bipod only, not deploy. Player or AI have higher accuracy when is in prone but bipod is always folded.. looks strange to me. Player can deploy for higher accuracy anytime.

Also animation of hand could be changed when bipod is deployed. Left hand on buttstock.

I meant animate bipod only, not deploy. Player or AI have higher accuracy when is in prone but bipod is always folded.. looks strange to me. Player can deploy for higher accuracy anytime.

Also animation of hand could be changed when bipod is deployed. Left hand on buttstock.

That would be nice like RO2 does ,but i dunno if this will work properly in arma

This would be great, however, implemented generically it looks like it would interfere with the larger scopes. I imagine time and resources would be limited to move the hand for each individual scope.

It's nice that you're placing the left hand elsewhere when prone, since some guns were too long for the character skeleton to reach. But in terms of how you move when aiming left and right, I liked the old animation much more.

Interesting.

Good work on animating hand after deployment of bipods because it makes bipod feet look like your

hand did something to deploy them.

Good thing about hand is while you are aiming up it look like you are supporting yourself with a hand.

In my opinion it could be even better: hand should deploy bipods and then rest at the weapon

Each weapon should have different position however.MGs should have arm rested on the butt of the rifle for example.

i like it as well ...

that being said .. shooting uphill is not the easiest when deploying prone ... might need to add the option of extending bipods down the road

shooting using bipods is much imporved with new new vertical range of movemnet. Posoiton choice is still importnat (which is good ) but its a lot more forgiving.

I agree that the hand next to the rifle is an imporvement but it really should be tucked in like that picture robert hammer shared. that's probably the most common one. the one that looks a bit like arms are crossed.

if you go third person when deploying when prone there's a noticable slide that your unit does, like he is on ice. it moves you a bit away from the position you chose. doesnt look good. must be a glitch.

also cannot deploy still on low walls and many rocks despite them being so numerous.

great work BIS team, leaps and bounds.

Edited by twisted

I've written a small server-side addon/script to add bipods for players in older missions which use a gear assignment script (removing attachments without considering bipods).

I won't have time to test it extensively in MP before the eight of April, but if people here are running MP in dev and want to try it, I'd appreciate it. The easiest way would be to simply run this code (without the //comments) from debug console (server exec) after a mission has started.

The code only checks for the unit class or F3 assign gear type, not the weapon itself. I could add the latter too but if it's really necessary.

There seems to be a bug in dev version: there's no any inertia effect to the weapon when player is in prone position.

There seems to be a bug in dev version: there's no any inertia effect to the weapon when player is in prone position.

There is also no aiming speed penality, you can aim with insane speed.

Interesting.

Good work on animating hand after deployment of bipods because it makes bipod feet look like your

hand did something to deploy them.

Good thing about hand is while you are aiming up it look like you are supporting yourself with a hand.

In my opinion it could be even better: hand should deploy bipods and then rest at the weapon

Each weapon should have different position however.MGs should have arm rested on the butt of the rifle for example.

It's nice that you're placing the left hand elsewhere when prone, since some guns were too long for the character skeleton to reach. But in terms of how you move when aiming left and right, I liked the old animation much more.

The old hand animation of deployment returned on today's update, but I love the new one yesterday. Now the left hand is force to extend in order to reach the grip.:(

There is also no aiming speed penality, you can aim with insane speed.

i actually find it hard to implement inertia while prone. I just used my Airsoft as a prop, assumed prone and started aiming at different angles. You can plant your gun fairly quickly to a still position while prone. however, for larger weapons, i would assume it's more difficult, but you wouldn't exactly lift it and turn it. More of just pivoting the weapon, while keeping it snug. How would they go about inertia for prone position though?

well when you are prone you yourself are supported by the ground , its easier to control the weapon when your bones are resting against the ground so you need less muscle input , but i might be wrong on that as i have little experience with prone shooting

well when you are prone you yourself are supported by the ground , its easier to control the weapon when your bones are resting against the ground so you need less muscle input , but i might be wrong on that as i have little experience with prone shooting

It depends on how you brace the weapon, and base on the ground under you. So it can be environmental, but more so on how the person braces the weapon.

as mentioned earlier here in this thread, trackIR and scoping, when the bipod is deployed, is unusable. It works just fine in all other stances and situations. But when you deploy the bipod, zoom in with one of the high magnification scopes, then trackir is still enabled, allows you to freely look around through the scope and throws the sight alignment off, making it impossible to hit where you want. It happens with alle weapons and scopes that magnify like a snipers one. Would be awsome if this got fixed before the marksman dlc comes out. Looking forward to using all the new toys...but this trackir scope issue is a real bummer.