solzenicyn

Weapon Resting & Deployment Feedback

Might be considered a heretic, but after watching the live feed I think resting isn't necessary as deployment without bipod is actually what you'd do in life. And that has the visual feedback as animation that's needed. All that's be required is for deployment without bipod to also work on vertical and other noon horizontal surfaces.

I like resting but think it's a solution that has no real life counterpart that deployment isn't closer to. Unless it's meant to be a quick sort of deployment on a surface but then that's deployment. It's three imaginary force field thing that gets people calling for an icon or feedback etc.

Anyway enough heresy. For a bit.

I tend to agree with you. After watching the stream my immediate thought was that, given resting, there was no reason to also allow 'deployment' without a bipod. I'm now thinking deployment (without a bipod) is probably the better implemented mechanic and they could just do away with resting altogether.

I tend to agree with you. After watching the stream my immediate thought was that, given resting, there was no reason to also allow 'deployment' without a bipod. I'm now thinking deployment (without a bipod) is probably the better implemented mechanic and they could just do away with resting altogether.

Yea I can agree with this.

I almost feel like any kind of weapon resting/deployment should be a conscious decision and require user input.

Anyone feel like these new weapon mechanics make it even more important for weapon collision to come back ?

Something like this.

Pretty much my opinion as well. If anything, what's currently called resting, needs to become much less beneficial.

I wouldn't say less beneficial, but more along the lines of there, without much more presentation. Therefore, when it happens, it's mostly due to proper positioning. But if one really wants guaranteed stability, they should deploy their weapons.

I wouldn't say less beneficial, but more along the lines of there, without much more presentation. Therefore, when it happens, it's mostly due to proper positioning. But if one really wants guaranteed stability, they should deploy their weapons.

Obviously resting stability should be less than actual bi pods. But that does not mean get rid of Resting. It's a nice feature.

having bi pods and the extra weight associated should affect shooting whilst standing and kneeling without your bipod deployed .

Making using a bi pod a tactical decision and not just the done thing everyone running around with bi pods.

Making using a bi pod a tactical decision and not just the done thing everyone running around with bi pods.

Get ready for players to be running around with SPMG + Nightstalker + Bipod. ;)

Obviously resting stability should be less than actual bi pods. But that does not mean get rid of Resting. It's a nice feature.

having bi pods and the extra weight associated should affect shooting whilst standing and kneeling without your bipod deployed .

Agreed.

Get ready for players to be running around with SPMG + Nightstalker + Bipod. ;)
Oh, I wouldn't say running... ;) But agreed with Sterlingarcherz101 and DarkSideSixOfficial, especially considering the previously described example of how 'elbows on the cover object' was enough to enable the 'rested' state.

The existing "Weapon info" and "Stance indication" parts of the UI could be used to provide feedback about weapon resting or deployment state. I have marked available areas in red in this picture.

bdykxNG.jpg

I vote that it be placed in box 2, which is under the Stance indication part of the UI. However, some servers have Stance indication disabled, and if that's caused by a lower difficulty setting (such as 3rd person enabled) then I change my vote such that it be placed in box 3.

Edited by Nordic_Harold

Can someone tell me if you're able to rest on vehicle roofs/bonnets or on some equipment like a dropped rucksack? Thx

The answer is probably yes. You can even deploy bipod on another soldier or an animal.

Let's start on beginning on topic of feedback notification

In life you have visual cue (gun contact with surface), small audio cue, and tactile sense (weight off).

We have neither in game so we have to simulate that somehow.

I see the arguments of no need for feedback because "you can see difference in sway" and "difference in crosshair" and they are true.

The problem comes when someone new comes to game and doesn't know about this in a first place.

System is passive (no input required) so can be easily missed.

Now most of people will propose icon notification.Mainly because they are used from addons.I digress to avoid

cluttering HUD and here is better solution:

Twitch stream time mark: 37:24

Along with option to disabling it in option for people who don't need it.(I'm looking at you Pettka)

That would be best way in my opinion.

I still think this is best idea.

I noticed that holding your breath has no effect when deployed. In addition I think the sway while deployed it too much, it feels like the guy is drunk.

I think weapons should have more recoil when deployed but with zero sway of course - atm they feel like on Tripod mounted static weapons

I think weapons should have more recoil when deployed but with zero sway of course - atm they feel like on Tripod mounted static weapons

Good point.

Can someone tell me if you're able to rest on vehicle roofs/bonnets or on some equipment like a dropped rucksack? Thx

Yup. You can take an SUV, set up a roadblock and use the front of it as a deployment point.

Would it be possible to automatically de-deploy (wut?) the weapon when pressing the reload key? Any thoughts?

Would it be possible to automatically de-deploy (wut?) the weapon when pressing the reload key? Any thoughts?

Ideally programmers manage to make reloading animations during being deployed.

+1

the existing bipods , es in GM6 Lynx, have some problems

how can i deploy the bipod?

any hotkey?

Press C

Press C

doesnt works.. i customized my controls can i change the bipod button?

still cant find it...

where it should be?

confgure > controls > ?

Ideally programmers manage to make reloading animations during being deployed.

Hmm, it seems atleast the M320 can be reloaded just fine while deployed.

edit: Ah, it's not about the weapon itself, it's seems to be a bug; when the magazine is empty, you can't reload your gun while deployed, but if there's even one ammo left, you can.

still cant find it...

where it should be?

confgure > controls > ?

Weapons -> Deploy Weapon

Edited by CaptainObvious