solzenicyn

Weapon Resting & Deployment Feedback

I don't see why this has to be an either-or thing. This seems like the sort of thing that is perfectly suited to tweaking to your personal preference through the options.

At first I was skeptical about the lack of feedback about when I'm getting WR and not. But after about 5 minutes of testing, I love it. It's very immersive. When I can walk up to a small Hesko barrier and my Intervention is at the same level and I get a great deal of stabilization without doing anything special, I assume that I'm using the Hesko to rest the barrel, and it's great.

One note: when I crouch by a concrete barrier (small) I get nice stabilization. But when I go to a low stone wall, either placed on part of the map, there is no similar stabilization. Is this intentional? Is it being worked on?

One note: when I crouch by a concrete barrier (small) I get nice stabilization. But when I go to a low stone wall, either placed on part of the map, there is no similar stabilization. Is this intentional? Is it being worked on?

Known issue.

At first I was skeptical about the lack of feedback about when I'm getting WR and not. But after about 5 minutes of testing, I love it. It's very immersive. When I can walk up to a small Hesko barrier and my Intervention is at the same level and I get a great deal of stabilization without doing anything special, I assume that I'm using the Hesko to rest the barrel, and it's great.

Known issue.

Yep http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22782

The points and suggestions on the video I firmly agree with. I'd like the weapon resting to be as realistic as it receptively can be. Also work needs to be done on an animation to signify weapon resting and movement.

Last but not least it wouldn't hurt to slightly decrease sensitivity while deployed on a surface, it would replicate that little resistance of dragging the weapon to aim.

Slightly decreased sensitivity could also help the player identify that weapon is rested.

But it would hurt some of us. Personally I hate inconsistent mouse movement.

I can see changing the mouse sensitivity would be very detrimental when doing dynamic entries and having to button hook.

I can see changing the mouse sensitivity would be very detrimental when doing dynamic entries and having to button hook.
Pretty much why any changing to mouse sensitivity is a non-starter for me.

After reading 20 pages of debate it seems clear and logical to me that since resting and deployment are inextricably linked these features should be integrated and launched as a combined feature. With regards to visual feedback on the weapon rest & deployment state, there are 2 considerations:

1) Weapons without bipods

In this instance either the weapon needs to visually be resting against a surface or an indicator showing the weapon rest state needs to be visible.

2) Weapons with a bipod

The bipod needs to animate and visually be positioned on the supporting surface and possibly an indicator needs to also show the weapon rest state.

Given that there are always going to be caveats to A & B - due to irregular surface normals. Eg: a gun with a bipod deployed may be on a severe slope and the bipod feet may be in the air; or a weapon without a bipod may look like its touching a surface without actually doing so.

Given that in both cases visual confirmation will at best be unreliable - we therefore need a subtle icon showing weapon rest/deployment state.

After reading 20 pages of debate it seems clear and logical to me that since resting and deployment are inextricably linked these features should be integrated and launched as a combined feature. With regards to visual feedback on the weapon rest & deployment state, there are 2 considerations:

1) Weapons without bipods

In this instance either the weapon needs to visually be resting against a surface or an indicator showing the weapon rest state needs to be visible.

2) Weapons with a bipod

The bipod needs to animate and visually be positioned on the supporting surface and possibly an indicator needs to also show the weapon rest state.

Given that there are always going to be caveats to A & B - due to irregular surface normals. Eg: a gun with a bipod deployed may be on a severe slope and the bipod feet may be in the air; or a weapon without a bipod may look like its touching a surface without actually doing so.

Given that in both cases visual confirmation will at best be unreliable - we therefore need a subtle icon showing weapon rest/deployment state.

It's fun to consider all that already exists in the TMR Modular Realism Mod (available since almost one year):

Weapon Resting & Bipods:

Weapons will rest against objects automatically, reducing muzzle climb. You can press Tab (Lock Targets) to deploy the bipod on weapons which have one mounted.

In this mod, deployement is managed with or without bipod, and subtle icon indicator is displayed when resting or deployed.

Only thing that was missing that BIS will deliver is the actual bipod deployement animation :)

I changed my opinion on feedback for weapon resting.

I'd say BI should leave it as-is and await further feedback when weapon deployment has hit. Currently, resting is all we have, and we are relying on it, which is why we want to know whether we are actually rested or not. However, when we have deployment, resting will only be something you do on-the-fly, when you don't have time to deploy it. And in that case, I'd say we do not need an indicator, because if you don't have time to deploy it, you won't have time to look for an indicator either.

Just my opinion on the topic.

Let's start on beginning on topic of feedback notification

In life you have visual cue (gun contact with surface), small audio cue, and tactile sense (weight off).

We have neither in game so we have to simulate that somehow.

I see the arguments of no need for feedback because "you can see difference in sway" and "difference in crosshair" and they are true.

The problem comes when someone new comes to game and doesn't know about this in a first place.

System is passive (no input required) so can be easily missed.

Now most of people will propose icon notification.Mainly because they are used from addons.I digress to avoid

cluttering HUD and here is better solution:

Twitch stream time mark: 37:24

Along with option to disabling it in option for people who don't need it.(I'm looking at you Pettka)

That would be best way in my opinion.

Edited by enex

I changed my opinion on feedback for weapon resting.

I'd say BI should leave it as-is and await further feedback when weapon deployment has hit. Currently, resting is all we have, and we are relying on it, which is why we want to know whether we are actually rested or not. However, when we have deployment, resting will only be something you do on-the-fly, when you don't have time to deploy it. And in that case, I'd say we do not need an indicator, because if you don't have time to deploy it, you won't have time to look for an indicator either.

Just my opinion on the topic.

I agree as well. Keep it as it is till stable, and lets get full feedback on this. It's not like bipods when it's obvious as hell that your using a pivot, but, it's good enough, you know your resting when your partially behind something, and your aim and recoil are substantially stable. If it's not, than your obviously not resting, and in that case, adjusting accordingly is needed, unless as you stated, There isn't time to do so.

I aboslutely love the new mechanic. Nothing feels better than sitting down against a tree to get that extra accuarcy on your shot. Or picking firepositions carefully because you are wounded or exhausted.

I strongly oppose any visual cue or hud icon for resting. The game will feel way too "technical" if we are supposed to run around until we get feedback that a particular buff has been applied. Leave that for the deployment feature (remember even weapons without bipods can be deployed by activly "resting" them down on any surface). The resting feature we talk about here is more about making some positions naturaly more stable because of the enviorment, It's supossed to be subtle. I would suggest making it even more subtle by applying the buff in varing degrees based on how much objects cover your arms/weapon, instead of just a digital on/off like it is now. That would mask the transition even more.

If done right new players should not even need to be told about this feature. They would just experience some positions to be more stable than others in a "that makes sense" kinda way. Remember we are talking about passive resting based on enviorment here, active resting is of course something you should get feedback on and that will come with the deployment feature (as again, you can also deploy/rest weapons that do not have bipods)

Edited by GepardenK

I strongly oppose a visual cue or hud icon for resting. The game will feel way to "technical" if we are supposed to run around until we get feedback that a particular buff has been applied. Leave that for the deployment feature (remember even weapons without bipods can be deployed by activly "resting" them down on any surface). The resting feature we talk about here is more about making some positions naturaly more stable because of the enviorment. It's supossed to be subtle.

Thats fine but a slight audio cue would be nice. Something like 3 sounds for dirt, brick and wood maybe superimposed with a faint "lock in" sound would work.

Thats fine but a slight audio cue would be nice. Something like 3 sounds for dirt, brick and wood maybe superimposed with a faint "lock in" sound would work.

Yes. In real life the feedback is instant. In the game you sometimes wonder few seconds if your weapon is rested or not.

This for me would work great. You'd know its rested, and as a bonus also adds immersion.

It pretty much goes like that I'm rested when I didn't even think about it, rather than I'm not rested when I thought I was.

Might be considered a heretic, but after watching the live feed I think resting isn't necessary as deployment without bipod is actually what you'd do in life. And that has the visual feedback as animation that's needed. All that's be required is for deployment without bipod to also work on vertical and other noon horizontal surfaces.

I like resting but think it's a solution that has no real life counterpart that deployment isn't closer to. Unless it's meant to be a quick sort of deployment on a surface but then that's deployment. It's three imaginary force field thing that gets people calling for an icon or feedback etc.

Anyway enough heresy. For a bit.

Edited by twisted

Might be considered a heretic, but after watching the live feed I think resting isn't necessary as deployment without bipod is actually what you'd do in life. And that has the visual feedback as animation that's needed. All that's be required is for deployment without bipod to also work on vertical and other noon horizontal surfaces.

I like resting but think it's a solution that has no real life counterpart that deployment isn't closer to. Unless it's meant to be a quick sort of deployment on a surface but then that's deployment. It's three imaginary force field thing that gets people calling for an icon or feedback etc.

Anyway enough heresy. For a bit.

That's a heretic over there!

In certain situations, Resting represents your character bracing himself against an object rather than fully placing his weapon on it, for example when standing next to a wall. I suppose it is a little redundant when you're actually aiming over cover, but I'd say it's more like your character leaning slightly into the object, or resting his elbows on it rather than the barrel of the weapon.

In certain situations, Resting represents your character bracing himself against an object rather than fully placing his weapon on it, for example when standing next to a wall. I suppose it is a little redundant when you're actually aiming over cover, but I'd say it's more like your character leaning slightly into the object, or resting his elbows on it rather than the barrel of the weapon.

IIRC it was mentioned by a dev somewhere that this is actually what really happens in the engine too, i.e when prone on a ledge with the weapon hanging over the edge but elbows resting on a surface.

Still like to see an icon or make it so you can turn it on an of in settings or something still a game just my 2 cents