solzenicyn

Weapon Resting & Deployment Feedback

Greenfist: I laughed out loud at that screen-shot of the sniper resting on the goat. That is some funny stuff :)

twisted: That's what "weapon deployment" is for. It's probably going to be released on dev-branch next week. Stay tuned!

Hope that there are no plans to allow resting on people/animals

-animal would freak out & kick you in the face/run away

-person would go deaf (having gun go off next to their face)

As funny as it would be, it would be totally stupid. simulation fever and all that.

I don't think these should be restricted. Resting a rifle on anothers shoulder (for spotting!) is an actual thing and the same could be done with animals.

You should not fire your gun in any of these scenarios but giving hearing damage to another player would be problematic.

Animals would be easier, they should just simply flee when you fire (but as of now the whole animals module is quite broken so BIS would need to fix that first).

Is the resting really enabled for every object with some kind of collision (?) geometry? Because I swear I just rested my weapon on a thin little bush? A one that wouldn't support anything IRL.

Can anyone confirm this?

Is this intended final behaviour or will objects have some config value/class to determine the suitability?

I think the weapon should ideally actually rest on the surface supporting it and have according centre of rotation.

twisted: That's what "weapon deployment" is for.

Correct.

Where Resting is 'passive', Deployment is an 'active' state; i.e., you need to make an additional choice to be in it. We describe the approach as pivot-based aiming, and we went into a bit more technical detail in a previous (NL Edition) SITREP - in the 'Operations' section.

It's probably going to be released on dev-branch next week. Stay tuned!

Incorrect. :cool:

The feature is still being prodded at by programmers so - aside from the general intention to stage it on Dev-Branch before Marksmen DLC - we don't have any concrete dates.

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

Sorry, that was just a guesstimate from me. Thanks for clearing things up :)

Correct.

Where Resting is 'passive', Deployment is an 'active' state; i.e., you need to make an additional choice to be in it. We describe the approach as pivot-based aiming, and we went into a bit more technical detail in a previous (NL Edition) SITREP - in the 'Operations' section.

Best,

RiE

thanks, so deployment and bipods are two sides of the same thing?

that's good news as i thought bipods WAS deployment.

this DLC has the potential to do sooo many things right and you guys seem on track to deliver.

Some sort of visual indicator is needed for weapon resting, otherwise new players will have no clue of its existence unless being told by other players.

Having a tutorial scenario/ official video showing the benefits of weapon resting/deployment would also help.

Some sort of visual indicator is needed for weapon resting, otherwise new players will have no clue of its existence unless being told by other players.

Having a tutorial scenario/ official video showing the benefits of weapon resting/deployment would also help.

Yes there totally should be an indicator, not only for new players but also in situations where the algorithm may not work all the time (e.g. modded structures), so you know if resting is active or not.

I do agree. A very simple non intrusive indicator (in the crosshair as suggested for example) would be enough.

From what little I've tried, I like so far. It is a definite improvement. I also agree with many others that some sort of visual or audio clue would help to know when the resting effect is activated.

Yes there totally should be an indicator, not only for new players but also in situations where the algorithm may not work all the time (e.g. modded structures), so you know if resting is active or not.

Run, Forest, Run. Fatigue will tell you when you rested the weapon. No need for UI indicator. They are a combo, its a pity not exist object collision with the player weapon. Nevertheless its a great implementation for fatigue.

Very much love the new recoil and resting, now to just reduce that darned figure of 8 sway malarkey

Another reason why a resting indicator is needed is in more complex situations involving stance, height of object on which to rest weapon, elevation angle of aim, and ground slope aspect/angle with respect to aim direction. Without an indicator, it is difficult to know if your weapon is stabilized in situations including:

• resting on a low object and have to adjust your stance
  • aiming at a high elevation angle that prohibits your weapon from resting on an object
  • etc.

IRL you would always know if your weapon is resting or not. Without an indicator, increased weapon sway (often subtle) and firing a few shots are the only way you would know if your weapon is stabilized. Firing a few shots gives away your position.

An idea is to have a temporary indicator only for dev branch so that we can more easily know when the object searching algorithm detects an object/feature that is suitable for resting.

Edited by OMAC

My feedback:

One of the current activators of resting is by standing next to a wall, not looking over it but facing along it. As in

I fear this type of resting is too unclear for the common player, why would a weapon rest here? This type of resting seems also very likely to trigger simply by moving around a compound, (unlike specifically moving behind a piece of cover)

When the player does not expect their weapon to be rested, they will expect a heavy recoil kick up so move their mouse down while firing to counter. But now because of the resting the recoil is less, throwing their recoil countering off. If the weapon recoil is not predictable it will just be frustrating trying to master the skill of firing.

Welp, looks like the Bootcamp is going to need another episode BIS! Maybe another mini story line of another soldiers perspective, and even another small hint to the Expansion. =D

Though, i think most new players will hide next to something while being shot at, and actively using the rest feature without them even knowing it's working.

What about changing colour of the weapon name (top right)?

No further UI clutter just change to green or blue when rested

Are weapon names part of the UI color? because you can customize UI color so it's a no go if the names also get the custom color.

Here's a ticket about the two walls that don't give weapon resting http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22782

One of the current activators of resting is by standing next to a wall, not looking over it but facing along it. As in *LINK*

It's not all that unreasonable. Resting the left arm on that wall would decrease sway IRL too.

I do agree with the indicator to show that the weapon is rested.

In addition, such an indicator could help solve another issue: Whether you are actually aiming at the wall or not.

The dynamic crosshair is helping with this right now, but with crosshairs disabled there is no real way of knowing whether the barrel is pointing out into the world or, if it's actually pointing at the corner of the window frame.

An indicator that shows you whether your weapon is rested or not could be used to solve this by making sure that the check for weapon resting includes the check whether you weapon barrel has a clear view or not. So even without a crosshair, players would see if they are positioned correctly or not.

Maybe it would also be enough to just have the dynamic crosshair still show even when crosshairs are normally disabled as long as the raycast detects and obstacle immediately. This is a bit of a separate issue from the resting indicator, but if we can find a way to combine them into one hud element, even better.

Yup, it should have a small icon like the Stance icon or maybe some sound? to indicate that weapon is rested

Yes i would this prefer too, small icon for weapon resting and bipods.

Yes i would this prefer too, small icon for weapon resting and bipods.

Let's wait and see before we talk about bipods. Weapon deployment will be different from resting. I suspect the bipods will be animated, and that when you have deployed, it will rotate around the bipod instead of the soldier and there will be limits to how far you can move your point of aim. If it's going to work the way I think it is, then it should be very obvious when you are deployed. Remember, deployment is different from resting, and it has not been implemented yet.

Not very intuitive. Also using colour introduces an entirely new set of considerations to be made.

I agree with all those who said that we need some kind of indicator, visual or audio, to know wether our weapon is rested or not. (We play without crosshair of course). I wouldn' t go with a ui indicator, and ideally i would go with either a very quick generic arms anim, that shouldn' t ever, in any way impede the players movement, or a small sound, but with a sound it might be hard to find the right balance between a sound that is loud and clear enough to be clearly heard in a firefight, and subtle enough not very quicky become an anoyance, considering the number of times that it will probably be heard per game. Maybe both?

But generally, from the little i' ve tested, i love the changes.

Great job BIS.

How about indicating the resting with some kind of animation, like a slight change in how the character holds his weapon? Maybe accompany that with some subtle sound effect?

How about indicating the resting with some kind of animation, like a slight change in how the character holds his weapon?

Jay has already said that animations go beyond the scope of what they're prepared to do

Yes, animations are a bit out of scope, in part due to the flexibility / scope of detection. We've also tried some audio feedback, but the first iteration was so unsatisfying, we decided not to go with it this dev-branch release. There may yet be hope for it.