solzenicyn

Weapon Resting & Deployment Feedback

Hi guys,

A recent development branch update introduced, among the other things, a new Weapon Resting feature. Note, please do not confuse it with weapon deployment, which is something quite different.

Resting is an automatic mechanism that detects object geometries around the shooter's elbows and the weapon itself. When you are standing still - and if solid geometries are detected within the given radius - it grants you a reasonable reduction of weapon sway, inertia and recoil penalties. This way, you could finally properly utilize your surroundings not only for cover but also to find a sweet spot for precise shooting.

This feature changes one important premise of stance stability: it is no longer true that prone is the most stable position in every situation. For example, when you will be firing too high in prone your weapon and arms might cease to be rested on terrain below and thus your stance precision will actually become worse than in crouch.

The introduction of this feature is the first step towards more sophisticated weapon stabilization improvements that are about to come with Marksmen DLC. We are thankful for all your constructive feedback upon the subject matter.

Thank you very much, take a rest and enjoy!

KNOWN ISSUES

:exclamation: We are intentionally staging Weapon Deployment in an early and unfinished state. There are many known issues and potential for glitching. Our aim is to get your impressions and feedback early to allow for more iteration time. The Deployment Task Force is working very hard to get this feature to a splendid state :exclamation:

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

Can you give us a little more information on how we'll know if a weapon is rested, keybinds etc.?

Cheers

Can you give us a little more information on how we'll know if a weapon is rested, keybinds etc.?

Cheers

Weapon resting has nothing to do with weapon deployment. Your weapon will be rested automatically if the conditions fit, therefore there is no button. Weapon deployment will follow in a future update.

@Solzenicyn

I think we need some sort of indicator, which shows the player whether his weapoin is rested or not.

Cheers

It is completely automatic, so no keybinds are involved. You could perceive it either via reduced cursor size or reduced inertia and sway effects when turning around with weapon while rested.

But thanks for asking this, it might not be so self-evident as we formerly thought after all.

can ai also get benefit from this new feature? can ai know how to make use of surrounding cover to get weapon rest? will ai be more sharp shooting then?

I get that it's different to being 'deployed', but with no different animations/ stances there doesn't seem to be a physical engagement with the world to show your weapon is benefiting from being next to anything. An indicator would be useful to some extent I guess.

This is bloody brilliant already from what I could gather with a quick test, it finally gives the splendid stance system the functionality it really deserves.

Good jod devs!

It is completely automatic, so no keybinds are involved. You could perceive it either via reduced cursor size or reduced inertia and sway effects when turning around with weapon while rested.

But thanks for asking this, it might not be so self-evident as we formerly thought after all.

can i see some animation change when triger weapon rest? i mean animation like BF4, when you close to the wall your arm and weapon will be like pasting on the wall.

Weapon resting is interesting animal.Is so natural that you don't even notice it.However if you focus on

crosshair you can see how it takes 3 seconds to focus (to and extent of cross) when you are near object which

weapon could be rested on.

On the second note I think because of that, adaptive crosshair (when weapon intersects object,

crosshair snaps on object) is disabled or not working.

On topic of realizing if weapon *is rested or not:

I don't like cluttering UI, I agree.I would rather keep it as it is then have

tumble/keybind/sound/icon for it.

Now I think there is a lack of visualization when weapon is rested.

Animation would signify resting better then any icon/shaking/tumble in my view.

There are 2 ways to do that; left hand animation of resting (

)

maxresdefault.jpg

or gun propped (maybe snapped) on the object (top left or right on the object depending where weapon is)

Prototype of algorithem detecting if cover/object is lower then gun, on the side of the gun and

playing correct animation for left hand would work well

So to sum it up, the algorithem that detects object is great, but

the lack of knowing when gun is rested feels weird.

Yup, it should have a small icon like the Stance icon or maybe some sound? to indicate that weapon is rested

can ai also get benefit from this new feature? can ai know how to make use of surrounding cover to get weapon rest? will ai be more sharp shooting then?

Unfortunately, no. AI tries to take cover, but do not benefit from this at all. Nevertheless, we think that our AI can shoot quite precisely even without this.

Unfortunately, no. AI tries to take cover, but do not benefit from this at all. Nevertheless, we think that our AI can shoot quite precisely even without this.

true maybe even too precise than usual heh

Yup, it should have a small icon like the Stance icon or maybe some sound? to indicate that weapon is rested

See I don't think it should be like mods have it, (tumbles, icons, sounds) it should be through animations or not at all.

Why?First I don't like cluttering UI, next in house solution should be more advanced and intuitive then scripts that modders came up.

I thought about a sound, too. But it needs to be noticeable, but on the other hand should not start to annoy after a while.

Edited by R3vo

See I don't think it should be like mods have it, (tumbles, icons, sounds) it should be through animations or not at all.

Why?First I don't like cluttering UI, next in house solution should be more advanced and intuitive then scripts that modders came up.

In a perfect world sure but what you've proposed would require a gazillion new animations to interact convincingly with every piece of geometry that might allow you to rest. Not gonna happen. I'd prefer a sound+small-screen-movement over a U.I. element but I'm sure they'd provide the option to remove any icon.

Well with some creativity weapon resting indicator won't take any more space what the current UI takes and could be implemented inside of it like in the stance indicator somehow. For example little "R" in the corner of the stance indicator and that's it.

And then, people would complain that sometimes the animation clip through walls and stuff. I think it's more than enough to go a with sound/icon. We will get new animations anyway to weapon deployment.

On the second note I think because of that, adaptive crosshair (when weapon intersects object,

crosshair snaps on object) is disabled or not working.

Works ok for me, you sure you haven't disabled it?

Anyway, I'm loving the feature. As said, it does feel weird guessing when it's happening, without shooting/rotating fast and will take getting used to.

I was going to suggest blending the color of the crosshair, but crosshair method might not be applicable to everyone as not everyone uses it and it's not present in the sights view. Mods do it with icons and sounds, but UI icons for it might be too much, and sounds might be over the top as this is an automatic method which might results in sound spam. Animations might be the answer, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that without them being too intrusive while being relevant to all situations.

Animations might be the answer, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that without them being too intrusive while being relevant to all situations.

I guess they could play a generic gesture which momentarily removes and returns your off-hand to/from the weapon.

Without having tested it, I don't like the idea of a passive resting. I would prefer to have resting + deployment on one key, with a little camera-shake for visual feedback when you are resting the weapon (just like AGM or VTS do), and the same when the weapon unrests when you turn too far away. Automatic resting is too much like all these auto-cover third person shooters..

If we go back to a beginning of arma 3, do you remember stance indicator?In first iterations

it wasn't in a game, however problem was that we can't feel or see our body stance

with ease as we are able in real life, so it was added, and I'm glad it was.

Now with weapon stabilization when we have visual cue right in front of our screens,

(weapon&hands) animations are out of question.I think this is goal worth pursuing.

You know it doesn't have to stick with object/cover, It may go through objects, but so

do hands of commander in Kuma (tank) but it isn't stopping us having weapons in turn out position.

To go back to matter it really would be enough to have

hands position/gesture that would signify that our weapon is rested.

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Works ok for me, you sure you haven't disabled it?

I will double check it.

RE:I have it enabled and It works as it should, It was just issue with adaptive crosshair on it's own

probably and specific object (It didn't work on palm tree)

Edited by enex

Animation would be nice but remember in arma it would be too much work maybe too much buggy with those walls and objects

that's why the weapon resting could be toggle able and some notification that weapon is rested - icon , sound or even a text would help

in style of Iron Front >

- this example shows bipods but weapon resting could work the same way Edited by RobertHammer

Without having tested it, I don't like the idea of a passive resting. I would prefer to have resting + deployment on one key, with a little camera-shake for visual feedback when you are resting the weapon (just like AGM or VTS do), and the same when the weapon unrests when you turn too far away. Automatic resting is too much like all these auto-cover third person shooters..

You're doing it wrong.

1. Download Dev branch version

2. Editor

3. Heavy testing

4. feedback

In addition, so far I remember, AGM has the auto resting feature as well..

Very good that no hotkey is needed because really who wants just another hotkey in their Arma? :D With small testing it feels pretty good and you don't rest on too high stances. It just works how it should which is amazing. I've found couple objects that don't give weapon resting like you would expect and hopefully those can be fixed. Reporting those later.

Really liking the changes Main issue is knowing its rested.

Some sort of indicator added to stance would help alot and maybe a few varied sounds (dirt , steel , wall) Loud enough to hear when its quieter but quiet enough to not hear is a battle.

maybe a animation of the weapon or elbows (some sort of shuffle to make sure a firm stance is gained.)