solzenicyn

Recoil Overhaul Feedback

Hi guys,

A recent development branch update introduced, among the other things, new recoil mechanics. It should significantly improve the unique feeling of every particular weapon when firing. We put a great emphasis on the specific aspects of each weapon in particular to bring you the most authentic shooting experience we could get from mouse and keyboard.

As always, every civilized and constructive feedback is indeed very important to us and so we would like to encourage you to discuss your opinions, feelings, expectation and experience with the feature itself and real weapon behavior as well for comparison. We will carefully monitor and process all your feedback to make sure that the feature is properly tuned and optimized for the release of Marksmen DLC.

Thanks in advance, and see you at the shooting range.

Edited by RoyaltyinExile
  • Like 1

Moving post to a correct thread.

Edited by enex

How i rest my weapon?

It's automatic when you're near an appropriate surface, as long as you're on devbranch that is.

Body moves way too much when shooting the Zubre six gun

Would be nice to see some kick back/recoil from UGL's. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing this.

Wow. I see what you guys did. This is going to reward tactical players dramatically, it's smart, and it's fluent. Compared to how it is on stable, this feels nice being able to rest my rifle on certain things.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

If I get it correctly this thread is about number of small adjustments:

adjustable limits for lateral sway, plus a different way of handling animations, shooter's body should respond more fluently to the series of consecutive kick-backs

(e.g., not always switch back to the default position instantly when the next kick-back occurs).

I like how after a shot, your gun stays where the kick moved you. This feels good. It's most noticeable with long rifles like the GM6 Lynx and LRR. I tried resting on an AI that was crouched, i guess that's not going to be a thing. Hehe, didn't work.

Much more natural feeling. I like that small twitching so there's some feeling of the recoil other than gun just rises and body moves bit.

And inertia is in a level I like. Machineguns are heavy but rifles don't have too much. Very good. This and weapon resting really makes the gun game again more enjoyable and not artificially too hard.

Splendid improvement over the old system, excellent work. The only thing I feel needs to be tweaked is the amount of headbob/camera shake when firing fully auto.

When firing a gun like the MX SW 6.5 fully auto through a mag, I actually feel a little sick/uneasy/dizzy and it kinda messes with my vision.

The shake is great in all other aspects, and I could just deal with it - consequences of firing full auto. But I do feel it maybe needs reduction in some places, or perhaps reduced shake and increased recoil as a trade-off.

I've never fired a gun IRL before, so I'm curious how realistic this camera shake is when dealing with actual recoil, anyone?

Splendid improvement over the old system, excellent work. The only thing I feel needs to be tweaked is the amount of headbob/camera shake when firing fully auto.

When firing a gun like the MX SW 6.5 fully auto through a mag, I actually feel a little sick/uneasy/dizzy and it kinda messes with my vision.

The shake is great in all other aspects, and I could just deal with it - consequences of firing full auto. But I do feel it maybe needs reduction in some places, or perhaps reduced shake and increased recoil as a trade-off.

I've never fired a gun IRL before, so I'm curious how realistic this camera shake is when dealing with actual recoil, anyone?

I see it as a visualization of vibration from holding the trigger down.

I like the new recoil. Reminds me a bit of ACE for Arma2, just not as punishing as Ace was.

I noticed a difference in recoil between short and long barrel in same weapon family. Nice.

I also like how you immediately feel the difference in recoil when taking rest on a surface.

Sub machine guns are better now. They were way to easy on full auto before.

Not sure I agree with the constant muzzle rise during full auto though. Not that it is a deal breaker. I can tolerate it.

I like the recoil uite a bit. Its easier and more natural to put out bursts of auto fire without shooting up into the sky, yet hard enough to force you to pace yourself when making long shots.

Not sure I agree with the constant muzzle rise during full auto though.

Why not?

Is it just me or does recoil seem quite light, specifically thinking of the Mk200 here, standing, non-rested I can fire a full 200 round magazine under control basically, and can go from target to target in the virtual arsenal. For a fairly powerful MG it seems pretty easy.

Why not?

Because it feels like an artificial penalty to me, not something that is actually based on reality. I'm fine with the initial rise during the first 3 or 4 shots, but then the rise should decline in my opinion. Ever tried it in real life? I can't say it's something I do everyday, but the way I experience it is that you can empty your magazine, and it does not take much of an effort to keep the muzzle level with the target, although you won't hit much. Most modern military weapons have their stock on the same axis as the barrel so the impulse kicks pretty much straight back into your shoulder, without creating an upwards momentum. Older style weapons with more of an angle on the stock will have some rise though. The angle creates torque which will try to rotate the muzzle up.

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

Is it just me or does recoil seem quite light, specifically thinking of the Mk200 here, standing, non-rested I can fire a full 200 round magazine under control basically, and can go from target to target in the virtual arsenal. For a fairly powerful MG it seems pretty easy.

You also have to remember that those MG's are really heavy. They are several times the weight of an assault rifle. The impulse from firing the projectile is about the same though, because they fire the same cartridges (at least in the case of MX vs MK200), but all that extra weight will take up that impulse, so the shooter feels much less of it. Does that make sense?

Edited by Brisse

Because it feels like an artificial penalty to me, not something that is actually based on reality.

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

You also have to remember that those MG's are really heavy. They are several times the weight of an assault rifle. The impulse from firing the projectile is about the same though, because they fire the same cartridges (at least in the case of MX vs MK200), but all that extra weight will take up that impulse, so the shooter feels much less of it. Does that make sense?

Good point, didn't think about it, makes perfect sense though.

I'm fine with the initial rise during the first 3 or 4 shots, but then the rise should decline in my opinion. Ever tried it in real life? I can't say it's something I do everyday, but the way I experience it is that you can empty your magazine, and it does not take much of an effort to keep the muzzle level with the target, although you won't hit much.

Good point. I second this. It should taper off after a few rounds.

overall this seems pretty good and fluid. Id like a break down of what has changed because its so easy to try and extrapolate the changes. I dont mind the rifle staying sort of where recoil took it ( i use my mouse and just sort of keep pulling it back on target and its easy to compensate for and not very difficult. better than just hlding the mouse button and not having to think about what the weapons doing), i like the weapon resting (although a little feedback on this having occured will be nice as wel cant 'feel' the weapons resting on the wall), i like what the resting on the wall does. so this is a great start and im genruinely relly looking forward to see what else you guys bring.

the lmgs are pretty easy to compensate for when standing though and i hope to see some greater reason to actually use weapon resting/ bipod on these.

Edited by twisted

Good point. I second this. It should taper off after a few rounds.

Question though. Isn't that due to you countering the recoil, so after the first few shots, you've already worked out how much effort in muscle memory it takes to counter the recoil. So technically, if you hold the trigger down without moving the mouse, you watch it climb. Then, when you hold the trigger and counter, it rises a bit, but since you've started countering movement, it becomes easy, because you've factored how much to move your mouse, in order to counter the recoil. This in essence, makes tapering off recoil pointless, as it becomes a skill set, or, something to master in game in order to fire effectively, which i think is what BIS is aiming for. Never the less though, you never want to fire full auto unless you need to do so.