Sign in to follow this  
inlesco

Core features Arma 4 must have

Since arma4.com domain is owned by BIS, there's definitely zero possibility of another Arma installment not happening in the immediate future.

I'd like to know the primary core features that Arma 4 must have. In other words, Arma 4 wouldn't be Arma 4 without them in place already at launch. Be it: engine improvements, better modding tools, new rendering tech, rewritten AI core, new terrain tech (allowing underground structures), better animation workflow, etc.

Many improvements are possible in theory, but what are the ones that you wouldn't imagine the game without?

Surely, A3 will be supported for long, be it full-scale expansions or smaller DLCs with some spin-off content. Overall, what are your expectations on BIS when we're talking Arma 4? Will the devs be able to pull it off?

I imagine a similar approach to A4's full release as an Early Access title on Steam is very likely. It proved to work, so why not use it again. Got some decent arguments? Spill them out why we there shouldn't be another Alpha/Beta EA "testing phase"?

We want the game to be playable as soon as possible, right? So some will have to live with the imperfections an early-in-dev title has. More so, some call them "features".

Since arma4.com domain is owned by BIS, there's definitely zero possibility of another Arma installment not happening in the immediate future.

If I had released a game series I definitely would buy the domain for the next possible title, even if I would never make it. That saves a lot of hazzle if I ever were to make a follow-up. But it would never be a reliable indication for my future plans. And I guess the same is true for arma4.com.

Of course BIS bought it to prevent anyone else buying it and then charging a fortune for BIS to buy it from them IF they ever wanted it.

As for discussing ARMA 4 core features................

Whatever BI people want. Yes, because if you do, what you really want, not only, because you must, but with a bit of passion added to the hard work of professionalist, it will gain some extra quality and uniqueness. And exactly such core features I would wish to them and myself - of extra high quality and polished, what means enough time/money to achieve all their plans without haste nor any sacrifices or compromises. If in the process they manage to solve some of the major issues of A4 predecessors, the better. In fact that would be my priority on the my personal wishlist - removing all existing problems of the series (listed and discussed well enough across these forums) and then adding new goodies (with new problems of course :) ).

So, anyway, what's new goodies nice for me coule be, if no bother about reason? Improved driver AI (but fixed first of course) - for example If I run bunch of cars through the town I would like to see something strongly resembling, what we know from RL - truly believeable road traffic without surreal oddities. Truly human-like AI, with its flaws and specificity, seriously optimized in the same time (much bigger battles possible). MOre organized AI on the higher level, than groups - cooperation, common goals, communication... Immersive and realistic as hell weather/environmental effects and mechanics. More procedural approach to SP or at least less cliche campaign. Features to make terrain alive (civilian life ambience, insurgents activities, more animal life...) in performance-friendly way but not without some extra depth and width - life patterns, smart randomness... Better/more reliable control over things for scripters. Procedural terrains. Sound (technology and artistic-wise) as good, so no need for any mods anymore - so far such mods prove constantly, there is much room for improvement. Same for visuals, like particles. Probably more, I forgot...

Edited by Rydygier

If I had released a game series I definitely would buy the domain for the next possible title, even if I would never make it. That saves a lot of hazzle if I ever were to make a follow-up. But it would never be a reliable indication for my future plans. And I guess the same is true for arma4.com.

Yep, totally... http://www.arma5.com/

Yep, totally... http://www.arma5.com/

The ArmA 3 domain was actually owned by a different individual but right before the announcement of ArmA 3 they managed to purchase it from whomever it was.

Just because they own the ArmA 4 domain does not mean that it is even in the works. I think they purchased the ArmA 4 domain as a precausion because I believe there were issues when they attempted to acquire the ArmA 3 domain.

For me it's harder to come up with a "core features Arma 4 must have" list due to the devs' own recent record of "unannounced/unpromoted" upgrades within Arma 3, to the point that I have no clue how many of them wouldn't be superseded/made redundant (if one defines said "core" features in part by them not​ being in Arma 3) in the near future!

For me it's harder to come up with a "core features Arma 4 must have" list due to the devs' own recent record of "unannounced/unpromoted" upgrades within Arma 3, to the point that I have no clue how many of them wouldn't be superseded/made redundant (if one defines said "core" features in part by them not​ being in Arma 3) in the near future!

Yeah, this.

Yea I don't think we will see Arma 4 for a very long time, instead will see Arma 3 get upgraded with not only new gameplay features but core engine upgrades over the years.

I vote for Next Gen Graphics like War Thunder. That means unlimited view distance like in real life with zero FPS hit, and still capable of Ultra details in terrain, with 200 FPS.

(This is not a joke, War Thunder is actually IMHO, the best Next Gen in terms of graphics and FPS)

Allow me to infringe on your pseudo-free speech by limiting this topic's public exposure to the off-topic section.

Thank you.