Sign in to follow this  
mattldempsey

Arma 3 Mission Editing - Structuring Development

Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum. User Missions didn't seem to be a good place to post.

I am quite new to the editor, I have dabbled but never really made anything properly.

I have a few idea's but rather than being concerned about how the editor works I am more concerned about the work flow.

Like I say I have all these ideas for a MP mission but dont really know where to start. I dont really know what part of creating a mission you would consider the foundations.

Or does it not matter that much. Could I just start anywhere such as creating base building functions and go from there..

For creating mp missions I only use the mp editor and not the sp editor, since certain features (and load orders) are different between those two. My regular workflow is:

1. Place the playable units. They have to be placed in the order in which they're supposed to appear in the mp lobby. Always give your player units unique names (like leader_alpha, leader_bravo, AR_alpha etc.).

2. Save the mission with a schematic name (e.g.: YOURTAG_CO8_NAME).

3. Go to your mission folder and create the init.sqf, the initPlayerLocal.sqf and the description.ext with their respective content (at first your init.sqf and initPlayerLocal.sqf should remain empty).

4. Place items like ammo crates and vehicles in the editor. Preplaced objects like these, which may be referred to later by any scripts, should get unique names as well (like crate_resupply_1, crate_resupply_2, MRAP_1 etc.).

5. Place the AI units.

6. Make sure to add their waypoints somehow (either by using the editor or by using some sort of script like UPSMON).

7. Start editing the init.sqf and/or initPlayerLocal.sqf according to the scripts you want to use or the stuff you need to make happen.

8. Test your mission.

9. Redo the whole description.ext because you made a tiny little mistake in the 3rd line.

10. Test your mission again. ;)

That fits most of the missions. ;) I'd recommend using the borderless window-view for Arma, so you can switch between your Notepad (preferably ++), your game and your browser (with this site: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Special:Search).

For creating mp missions I only use the mp editor and not the sp editor, since certain features (and load orders) are different between those two. My regular workflow is:

1. Place the playable units. They have to be placed in the order in which they're supposed to appear in the mp lobby. Always give your player units unique names (like leader_alpha, leader_bravo, AR_alpha etc.).

2. Save the mission with a schematic name (e.g.: YOURTAG_CO8_NAME).

3. Go to your mission folder and create the init.sqf, the initPlayerLocal.sqf and the description.ext with their respective content (at first your init.sqf and initPlayerLocal.sqf should remain empty).

4. Place items like ammo crates and vehicles in the editor. Preplaced objects like these, which may be referred to later by any scripts, should get unique names as well (like crate_resupply_1, crate_resupply_2, MRAP_1 etc.).

5. Place the AI units.

6. Make sure to add their waypoints somehow (either by using the editor or by using some sort of script like UPSMON).

7. Start editing the init.sqf and/or initPlayerLocal.sqf according to the scripts you want to use or the stuff you need to make happen.

8. Test your mission.

9. Redo the whole description.ext because you made a tiny little mistake in the 3rd line.

10. Test your mission again. ;)

That fits most of the missions. ;) I'd recommend using the borderless window-view for Arma, so you can switch between your Notepad (preferably ++), your game and your browser (with this site: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Special:Search).

This may seem stupid but I only thought there was one editor. I didnt realise there is a seperate one for MP where can I find it? I usually save as MP mission in the editor.

Thanks for the info, especially that last link!

There is only one editor, but the MP editor is simply a different environment to test all your stuff in (a surrogate server basically). To find this editor you go to the server browser, start a new session, then in the mission selection screen at the bottom right (when you have a mission highlighted) there is play/restart/whatever and there should be an "edit" button that should take you to the MP editor.