Sign in to follow this  
drill

d_finger: "Point a finger at" addon

Finger-pointing is already quite precise on my opinion (maybe even a bit too precise). I'm afraid increasing its precision any further would make it overpowered, "unrealistic".

You may try to make the circle smaller by yourself if you like. It could be regulated in file "fn__OEF_renderer.sqf", parameter BASE_SIZE. Or, alternatively, by editing the circle texture file "fp_icon.paa".

i will try. imo since irl you can point at smaller objects (relatively) such as the windows it should be smaller.

How will it work if i am changing the SQF file- wont i have to repack it?

You'll have to repack .pbo file after editing the .sqf file.

I forgot to mention that you would also possibly need to change the values of parameters "FP_RANDOMIZATION_X" and "FP_RANDOMIZATION_Y" in file "settings.hpp" to lower values (zero, for example) for increasing actual precision. These two parameters control the error with which the circle position is transmitted to other players. Setting them to 0 would mean that the exact position of the indicator would be transfared.

Cannot change keybind after CBA update. Will you release new version with that keybinding fixed? Also would love to get smaller "pointing circle" cause this one is too big in my opinion.

Thanks

I'll try to update the addon to support the newer versions of CBA and reconsider the pointing circle appearance as soon as possible.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Have made a little update to the addon to address some issues and requests. The link for d_finger v5:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lc7ml793ms1ts2p/d_finger_v5.zip?dl=0

Update changes:

- indicator circle image is reworked: increased resolution and fixed some graphical flaws

- finger-pointing range increased to 4 meters

- a bit decreased size of the indicator circle

interesting addon but i wonder what is the point of the indicator when you have crosshairs/or at least the center of the screen.

can i turn the indicator off ?

thx

hey Drill, nice addon! I would suggest a feature: it would be nice if the rings size is linked to the distance you stand away from each other. If you get closer, the size gets smaller / more accurate.

Cheers Cruzifer

interesting addon but i wonder what is the point of the indicator when you have crosshairs/or at least the center of the screen.

can i turn the indicator off ?

thx

d_finger provides visual and easy to use way for infantry to point out a direction to each other.

The indicator shows for the other players (AFAIK) and forms 95% of the purpose of the addon (otherwise it would just be a gesture addon).

Drill, does this script have a Line of Sight check between the players that are within 4 meters of each others? So that a player on the other side of a stonewall wont see the circle if he is within the four meter range.

To simplify:

Does the addon check if the players around you are actually able to see your hands or even you?

Edited by Bumgie

No, it doesn't right now. I think adding such feature might do it too difficult (and add even more micromanagement) to use the addon in some environments: near/inside bushes, trees etc.

No, it doesn't right now. I think adding such feature might do it too difficult (and add even more micromanagement) to use the addon in some environments: near/inside bushes, trees etc.

I understand your fears but such a check is neccessary to prevent exploits of this feature.

I would edit it in myself but your style of coding is very confusing to me and I am unable to even find the portion where you gather a list of all the units within the x radious who should receive the finger point.

If you are able to point me in the correct place I would be very thankfull.

EDIT:

Ok, I found the place where you do it, but why have you decided to check the distance to each playable unit instead of using nearentities command. Was it performance or something else?

Edited by Bumgie

As per your license I am feeding you back the changes I have made to the system.

I added Los check and allowed the addon to be used in boats and cars.

I hope no Bugs remain from me.

EDIT:

Found some bugs. Fixing them soon.

EDIT2:

This is the working fixed version.

http://pastebin.com/iHz6jbgY

http://pastebin.com/1ujhfJSt

I found that with the LOS check the 4 meter range is quite small, so it might be good idea to increase to 8 meters, but that is up to you.

Edited by Bumgie