Sign in to follow this  
roberthammer

D.U.S.T – Unforgiving Realism FPS

This video is super annoying, how can go somebody record it so unprepared? "ey guys tell me the controlls !11eleven" "ey guys guys guys look" ... :j:

Atm it looks like M4 simulator: the game :D

We'll see what the future brings...

Yeah, so one comment on the video provided a link to the legit free download of the game, which made me feel extra shafted when I found out that it turned closed alpha just after the video because the devs couldn't handle the traffic.

I would ask if anyone has a pre-closed alpha account they would "share", but I don't know how ethical that would be.

Looks quite mental.

I know, apparently to shoot you have to press MMB and scroll downwards, to simulate pulling the trigger. That's just plain counter-intuitive.

Yeah, so one comment on the video provided a link to the legit free download of the game, which made me feel extra shafted when I found out that it turned closed alpha just after the video because the devs couldn't handle the traffic.

I would ask if anyone has a pre-closed alpha account they would "share", but I don't know how ethical that would be.

I know, apparently to shoot you have to press MMB and scroll downwards, to simulate pulling the trigger. That's just plain counter-intuitive.

And quite frankly I don´t see it beeing successfull. The trigger thing is just one example where this game is way over the top. IRL life you pull the trigger until you get to the point where it is really tense. You can´t simulate that with a mousewheel so why creating a ridiculously counter intuitive mechanic for that?

Some things this game? has, like the scope focus, are very nice and I would like to have them in Arma, the rest though.....not so much

United Gun Autism Simulator. Seems a little bit over the top with the overly complex control scheme.

I really don't see the appeal of this kind of thing, unless there's a market for weapons-you-are-unfamiliar-with simulators out there.

In my experience, handling a weapon is largely a case of muscle memory - you've cleared stoppages, reloaded and generally roughhoused around with your weapon enough that it is not something that requires more than an iota of brain power to operate.

The trigger is too much but this way you can reload normally , tactical faster way and also if the gun jams you can look in the chamber and clear it like irl

plus the optic tweaking - should be in every modern shooting game - not only the focus ,but the zeroing/windage and the illumination settings too

and arma should at least have a reticle illumination settings for all optics

Edited by RobertHammer

I really don't see the appeal of this kind of thing, unless there's a market for weapons-you-are-unfamiliar-with simulators out there.

In my experience, handling a weapon is largely a case of muscle memory - you've cleared stoppages, reloaded and generally roughhoused around with your weapon enough that it is not something that requires more than an iota of brain power to operate.

Surprise surprise, there is a market for everything!

Could prbly do AK & M1911 blindfolded by now, not as fast as in clickety clackety video game fashion for sure :D

x2Dj_DdtKjE

Receiver on the other hand, although it follows that awesome idea of more gun interaction, the way over the top procedures took everything gamey from it - not real fun.

plus the optic tweaking - should be in every modern shooting game - not only the focus

This isn't how focusing works with rifle scopes though - you focus your eyes on the target image and you use the dioptre adjustment on the eyepiece to bring the reticle into focus with the target image, then adjust the parallax dial so that the reticle doesn't suffer parallax shift against the target. The latter does also improve the target image focus somewhat, but it's not the same as proper objective lens adjustment, which is how you focus cameras etc. However, there you're manually adjusting focus because the film/CCD that you're projecting the image on to capture it doesn't have the ability to focus like the human eye.

Most combat optics (ACOG, Specter etc.) don't even have any kind of focal adjustment, and so long as your eyesight isn't totally borked you can point and aim them at targets over range of hundreds of meters without any mechanical adjustment to focus. It's only really things like long-range sniper scopes where the reticles are very fine and parallax becomes an issue, that you start to have these focal controls.

The way focus is presented in DUST is doing it wrong since the shooter is focusing on the reticle and not the target image. The scope model itself appears to based on a civilan one that has an adjustable dioptre to account for people who have less than perfect eyesight, but it looks like they've mistaken it for a true focus ring. So long as the target isn't closer than the scope's minimum focal distance, you don't need to adjust focus that much in reality - you eyes do most of the work.

Yup , i know but you get the idea of the optic tweaking - proper zeroing and the reticle illumination settings

Surprise surprise, there is a market for everything!

Could prbly do AK & M1911 blindfolded by now, not as fast as in clickety clackety video game fashion for sure :D

Hah, a good point - I quite like Gun Disassembly (I've spent a good 138 hours on it) - knowing the internal workings of certain weapons is useful.

Edited by CameronMcDonald

Looks interesting this, albeit we haven't seen much yet. I would like to see sight adjust, be able to go to mouse wheel. Other than that its going to be interesting watching progress.