Sign in to follow this  
HAseONE

Door opening and closing

Hi

i am wondering, why the interaction with doors in Arma 3 is still so frustrating.

Why dont the Arma team just use the mechanics from DayZ SA? In the beginning of the SA the opening and closing of doors were very similar to Arma 3, but the SA team did change the mechanic how the interaction with the doors work.

Now i only have too stand in front of the door and look at the door to open it. In Arma 3 sometimes i have to search a few seconds to find the right spot on the door to open it.

Please improve the door interaction

True door and interaction detection in DayZ is way better. Though there's also the action menu problem still but the detection would improve things a bit.

everyone take a step back and take an honest look at this. doors are a problem in this game. still. after years. frikkin doors. it blows my mind. sorry for the negative vibes. it just genuinely blows my mind ;)

Didn't BI basically straight-up just 1:1 reuse whatever the door-related "mechanics" were from OA? "still. after years" is gonna happen when they apparently didn't work on them at all...

Re: DayZ -- I'm not sure if this is a case of what I'm describing, but Dwarden has said in the past that some of DayZ's differences are because they made (or got to make) more radical under-the-hood changes that are still allowed because DayZ is technically still early access (i.e. trying to turn weapons/gear from A3's strings to DayZ's "objects" apparently would require a complete inventory rewrite).

Totally agree, i died to much times because didn't found the door trigger! :mad:

And this would a dream in the vanilla arma 3.

Edited by Toysoldier

Yep incremental would be nice though we need a hand reaching out animation as long as door is moving and some loss of aim cause the Carrie action's just too spooky. Doors that fling YOU open are even scarier!

Yes, doors definitely need a rework, or at least better detection when you're looking at it. It's lovely when you're in a hallway and you end up opening the door behind you instead of the one in front of you that you're looking directly at.

It's funny to me how simple it is to script this functionality in but it isn't a vanilla mechanic. Dedicated, context sensitive interaction buttons > context sensitive action menus.

For the sake of gaming, all doors should be pushed inwards as not to have the door actually push the player outta it's way. Should there be a draw with two opposing players trying to open same door at same time from opposing sides, button mashing mini-game should ensue with loser getting ragdoll'ed bad.

• Like 1

Totally agree, i died to much times because didn't found the door trigger! :mad:

And this would a dream in the vanilla arma 3.

AGM has this built in, it is CTRL + Space + mouse wheel.

Takes a few fingers to make it work, but its nice when running in a realism unit, the point man can actually partially open the door and bang or frag it if needed. (I know door kickers dont typically bang/frag, but with Arma if you tried to do it true to IRL, the grenade would most likely hit some invisible wall, or someones head and land in the group.)

Also, with AGM you can simply hit Windows key while staring at a door and it pops open.

To be fair, when they designed Arma3 I expect opening and closing doors was not high on their priority list. Arma 3 was designed to be a military sim, so the focus is on the outside. Hence why most houses are empty, and why the AI struggles with interiors. The popularity of doors has only really come about due to mods :P

To be fair, when they designed Arma3 I expect opening and closing doors was not high on their priority list. Arma 3 was designed to be a military sim, so the focus is on the outside. Hence why most houses are empty, and why the AI struggles with interiors. The popularity of doors has only really come about due to mods :P

i hope this is sarcasm. otherwise it'd be pretty sad. there are doors since arma 1 and they have the same problems since then. the action menu was never good. it always sucked. it's broken. it always was. nothing to do with mods. the fact that more and more mods fix obvious amateurish bullshit like that is merely a sign of people finally getting fed up with this studio never fixing obvious dilettantish flaws like this. again i really really hope this was sarcasm...

• Like 1

In Raven Shield 2.0 you can gradually open the doors by using the mouse wheel. Adds a new tactical element. Perhaps Arma 9 will have this!

A player was running away from a patrol of AI I'd set to attack his position. (Zeus)

He got wounded and tried to run into a nearby building.

He struggled with the door for a moment and then accidentally pressed the 'Treat Yourself' action and went into that animation infront of a closed door.

He got shot and I cringed

More ergonomic door mechanics would be a plus.

I think if we would see where the action available it would solve all the issues. Like the ACE-s menu.

i hope this is sarcasm. otherwise it'd be pretty sad. there are doors since arma 1 and they have the same problems since then. the action menu was never good. it always sucked. it's broken. it always was. nothing to do with mods. the fact that more and more mods fix obvious amateurish bullshit like that is merely a sign of people finally getting fed up with this studio never fixing obvious dilettantish flaws like this. again i really really hope this was sarcasm...

Its the sadest part about Bohemia, the fixes already exist, yet they still wont use them.