Alexus

Mighty GAU-8/A Avenger

Would it be possible to integrate ACE's fragmentation system into the mod? I guess performance might suffer a bit but maybe it would be possible to not have the fragmentation on every round.

Not at the moment. I thought about that but I think Steam Workshop does not give me the possibility to distribute the folder in the current structure, together with the additional optional PBOs. I think I can only distribute the main module at steam workshop. I'm unsure if that's a good idea. How do you think about this? Better than nothing?

you do what you got / want to do. I'm 100% behind you!

If it's on SW then it is easier for me as it auto-updates when you renew it.

If it's not on SW, I'll still download it manually via the method you provided.

IT IS your content, your creation so you got to decide however you want to distribute it. ;)

and BIG THANKS for the amazing GAU A8 Avenger addon though!

you do what you got / want to do. I'm 100% behind you!

If it's on SW then it is easier for me as it auto-updates when you renew it.

If it's not on SW, I'll still download it manually via the method you provided.

IT IS your content, your creation so you got to decide however you want to distribute it. ;)

and BIG THANKS for the amazing GAU A8 Avenger addon though!

In case you did not read it, see the next quote :)

And here it is, splendid!

Mighty GAU-8/A Avenger at Steam Workshop

Would it be possible to integrate ACE's fragmentation system into the mod? I guess performance might suffer a bit but maybe it would be possible to not have the fragmentation on every round.

Probably not. However there's already a version of our mod which fits into ACE itself (and also a pull request). I guess if the pull is accepted it will work with ACEs system but I'm not expert on ACE stuff:

https://github.com/acemod/ACE3/pull/4497

• Like 1

There was a problem with the pbo not being packed correctly. Due to that players did not pass the signature check of servers with this mod, though they had the correct signature file.

This problem was now fixed, the mod just upgraded to version 3.2. The original post will be edited soon.

Until then, here are some direct download links:

Download via GitHub

Download via SteamWorkshop

Also, ive noticed in my SP scenarios the AI A10s (AT) (RHS) will never use their guns. They will literally expend every other munition until all they have left is their guns and even then wont shoot. After every other munition is expended they just make mock attack runs without ever firing. Can this be fixed plz? I set the planes to 100% ammunition in their attributes menu but they still wont fire as if they are out of ammo for their gun.

Hi everyone.
I discovered 2 problems with "GAU-8/A Avenger" mod in A-164 Plane.

I also included 2 missions that can be ran in mission editor for problem testing assistance.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B34OngdaQ68xMzYtMmdmdXFoN0E
(Mission Editor missions path is C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Arma 3\missions)

------------------
So the first problem is inability to select air and ground targets while GAU cannon is chosen as a weapon.
("Select" means to mark the target with square mark.)

In game settings (Optoins > Controls > Weapons) you can assign or change key to select targets.
It's called "Target select (in vehicle)".
By default it use "TAB" key. (Not sure because i changed it)

So without MOD, with generic cannon selected you can select targets and cycle between them without any problem.
But if while using "GAU-8/A Avenger" MOD it impossible to select and cycle targets.
(It still possible wile AA-Missiles selected but NOT with cannon selected)

You cant try to run mission "A-164 Target selection problem" to test this problem.
There are two unarmed helli's and two unarmed ground vehicles in front of your A-164)

------------------
The second problem is AI refuse using GAU cannon while "GAU-8/A Avenger" MOD installed.

Try to run the mission "A-164 GAU cannon usage problem" without MOD.
You will notice that two A-164's ordered with "Seek and Destroy" command try to attack enemy's not only with rockets and ground missiles but also with CANNON !!!
(Usually first A-164 is down but second one continue to attack with cannon on each run)

BUT if you try to run this mission WITH "GAU-8/A Avenger" MOD so you will be notice that AI NEVER use GAU cannon !!! It only use rockets and ground missiles.

* I tested this problems without any other MOD.
* I use the latest "GAU-8/A Avenger" MOD from 2016-12-13
* I tryed this mod with and without CBA (Community Base addons A3) mod.

Thank You.

On 3/26/2017 at 9:40 AM, boombastic said:

Hi everyone.
I discovered 2 problems with "GAU-8/A Avenger" mod in A-164 Plane.

Thanks for your detailed report! As the Jet DLC will be released soon, and I'm pretty sure it will break the mod anyways, I'll investigate the issue once it's there :)

• Like 2

Since the last Arma3 update, the ammo of the GAU-8 is empty and unable to reload. Could you please fix it. Thank you!

19 hours ago, neodyn said:

Since the last Arma3 update, the ammo of the GAU-8 is empty and unable to reload. Could you please fix it. Thank you!

Give me some weeks. I'll then investigate the current state of ArmA after the first Jet DLC Patches and the state of the mod in order to find out what exactly is do fix.

I also heard some rumors that ArmA does the Mighty-Gau-8 stuff in vanilla now so it may also be possible that the mod became partly obsolete. However I have no time to test this stuff my self at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zabuza said:

Give me some weeks.....

Sorry man, this is impossible, we wanna play !!! :D

***Please dont forget two problems i posted before.

Thank You !

Hey guys. First of all I'd like to thank you for all your feedback. Especially the prepared mission files which showcased some bugs were very usefull!

I have two things to announce. Sadly Alexus left the ArmA scene and thus also our modding team. I'm currently trying to find a solution on updating the initial post of this thread.

Next thing is that I've fixed all of your reported issues today. The current version is 4.0 now. Please note that this version will not be compatible with older ArmA versions (< 1.7 aka Jet DLC) anymore. This does not mean that you need to purchase the Jet DLC, you only need the free platform update. Also all of our official support-pbos have been updated to the new ArmA version. If you maintain an unofficial support-pbo you might also need to update it.

Here is the changelog:

• upgraded to ArmA version 1.70 which adds compatibility for the Jets DLC
  • fixed some bugs related to the ZEUS module and the fire support module
  • fixed a bug in the muzzle effect script that prevented AI from firing
  • fixed a bug introduced with the Jets DLC that made locking targets other than laser targets impossible
  • added support for CUP's A-10C Thunderbolt II
  • added support for CUP's A-10C Thunderbolt II (AT)

The original post will be edited soon. Until then, here are some direct download links:

Download via GitHub

• Like 3

Outstanding work Zabuza!  Thank you for the continued support.  Your mod is invaluable to the CAS pilots out there :icon_cool:

• Like 1

On 6/8/2017 at 1:04 AM, Zabuza said:

Hey guys. First of all I'd like to thank you for all your feedback. Especially the prepared mission files which showcased some bugs were very usefull!

I have two things to announce. Sadly Alexus left the ArmA scene and thus also our modding team. I'm currently trying to find a solution on updating the initial post of this thread.

Next thing is that I've fixed all of your reported issues today. The current version is 4.0 now. Please note that this version will not be compatible with older ArmA versions (< 1.7 aka Jet DLC) anymore. This does not mean that you need to purchase the Jet DLC, you only need the free platform update. Also all of our official support-pbos have been updated to the new ArmA version. If you maintain an unofficial support-pbo you might also need to update it.

Here is the changelog:

• upgraded to ArmA version 1.70 which adds compatibility for the Jets DLC
  • fixed some bugs related to the ZEUS module and the fire support module
  • fixed a bug in the muzzle effect script that prevented AI from firing
  • fixed a bug introduced with the Jets DLC that made locking targets other than laser targets impossible
  • added support for CUP's A-10C Thunderbolt II
  • added support for CUP's A-10C Thunderbolt II (AT)

The original post will be edited soon. Until then, here are some direct download links:

Download via GitHub

Thank you very much man for update and fixes !!!

... i'm afraid to be annoying ...but there is two new problems... :down:

1-st 
After you fixed that AI was not using cannon at all, now AI use ONLY cannon :( ...
I mean it almost use only cannon and it looks especially weird while A164 attack heavy armored ground vehicles mostly with cannot, that much less effective against them, instead of using onboard guided missiles and bombs.
Vanilla A164 AI is much more balanced in this aspect. It use firstly missiles against heavy armored vehicles and cannon as additional weapon only.

To test this problem you can use my mission  "A-164 GAU cannon usage problem" from previous post.

Just try to run it with and without MOD.

2-nd
looks like it is BUG... now A164 doesn't have canon fire flash and tracers, it only have ground hit visual effects.

Once again to test this problem you can use my mission  "A-164 GAU cannon usage problem" from previous post. Just change time from day to night and you will notice the problem.

You also can compare with vanilla firing effects without MOD.

Thank You !

31 minutes ago, boombastic said:

1-st 

I mean it almost use only cannon and it looks especially weird while A164 attack heavy armored ground vehicles mostly with cannot, that much less effective against them, instead of using onboard guided missiles and bombs.
Vanilla A164 AI is much more balanced in this aspect. It use firstly missiles against heavy armored vehicles and cannon as additional weapon only.

Yeah I've made adjustments here. I will revert them back to the default vanilla behavior.

31 minutes ago, boombastic said:

2-nd

looks like it is BUG... now A164 doesn't have canon fire flash and tracers, it only have ground hit visual effects.

The A-10 does not carry any tracer rounds IRL, it is a feature that we removed them. Also it does not produce any visible muzzle flash, it just produces white smoke when shooting. So also a feature of the mod. In ArmA the smoke looks pretty black at night but I can see it with the mod. However the impacts should produce flashing light effects with the mod.

I hope this covers your question. If I misunderstood something, please correct me :)

At this point I'd also like to mention that I'm currently working on a new major release.

I have dropped the burst modes, they have simply gone out of style. Instead we will now have a full-auto mode using the HIGH RPM setting. In my opinion this is a major improvement, not only that you can switch weapons faster in ArmA now (less weapon modes to click through) but you can also better adjust your fire to the situation.

The AI was also adjusted to the full-auto mode and it will prefer short bursts.

I have also adjusted the firing sound and the impact sound. However the impact sound is a pretty tough nut (in-game my cool sounds do not sound the way the should) but I'm working on it.

Last I will also provide a more performance-friendly version of the mod alongside the regular version. This version will have the same amount of particle effects than the vanilla version has. It is intended for players that face performance issues with the current version.

• Like 4

Thanks for reply and for future improvements

On 6/11/2017 at 8:43 PM, Zabuza said:

Yeah I've made adjustments here. I will revert them back to the default vanilla behavior.

That exactly the problem - now it does not work as vanilla AI !

just try it in my mission  "A-164 GAU cannon usage problem" you will notice that with your mod AI tend to use only cannon instead of missiles.

On 6/11/2017 at 8:43 PM, Zabuza said:

Also it does not produce any visible muzzle flash

I understand, didn't know that you try to be as realistic as possible.

For my taste it looks more "cinematic" with flash effect. But as you with, it's so matter.

Another thing that i noticed - the smoke from ground hit effect disappear to fast, looks like it need to stay much longer before disappear.

(I understand that you changed it to preserve performance but still it looks little bit weird)

Thanks.

On 13.6.2017 at 6:17 AM, boombastic said:

Thanks for reply and for future improvements

I have to thank you. The feedback helps a lot!

That exactly the problem - now it does not work as vanilla AI !

just try it in my mission  "A-164 GAU cannon usage problem" you will notice that with your mod AI tend to use only cannon instead of missiles.

Yes exactly. I had increased the probabilities for the AI to use the cannon but your mission nicely showcases that this adjustment was over the top. The default vanilla behavior is, as you said, already balanced so I reverted my changes and the next version will contain the balanced probablities again.

I understand, didn't know that you try to be as realistic as possible.

For my taste it looks more "cinematic" with flash effect. But as you with, it's so matter.

Indeed it has a small muzzle flash. You can see it in ArmA when standing close, the effect is not visible at range (this is a vanilla effect, I did not add this).

Another thing that i noticed - the smoke from ground hit effect disappear to fast, looks like it need to stay much longer before disappear.

(I understand that you changed it to preserve performance but still it looks little bit weird)

Yeah that is totally performance related. Some people already reported they have issues with the current effect. Increasing the durability would probably be a step in the wrong direction. However the next version will contain an optional module that decreases the particle effects to vanilla level which is far more performance friendly (but looks less dramatic).

The next version will probably be released at the end of the week so stay tuned! :)