The mighty GAU-8/A Avenger

vQxqMRk.jpg?1

1. Introduction
2. What does it do?
3. Things we changed
4. Changelog
5. Download

Introduction
Zabuza and I are proud to present you a mod we were working on in the last weeks: the mighty GAU-8/A Avenger for the A-164 “Wipeoutâ€. Since the release of the NATO close air support plane, we were missing the power of the real A-10, the role model of the A-164. With bringing the A-164 into the game, Bohemia introduced a gun which was neither able to destroy a simple APC nor really effective against infantry. So Zabuza and I, both passionate pilots, decided to see what we can do, and this mod is the result.

What does it do?
Basically the mod changes the 20 mm gun of the A-164 “Wipeout†to a more powerful version, the well-known GAU-8/A Avenger 30 mm gun of the A-10 aircraft. So in future you will be able to use the gun as it is supposed to: as a tank buster and for scaring the shit out of your enemy.

Things we changed
The following list presents all added/changed features:

• changed the calibre to 30mm
  • increased muzzle velocity to 1030 m/s
  • increased direct and indirect hit damage
  • increased bullet spread
  • added 2 burst modes: “Low†(1.5s, 2100rpm) and “High†(1.5s, 4200rpm)
  • magazine size of 1174 rounds
  • changed weapon sound (featuring the typical GAU-8 “fart of deathâ€)
  • new impact sound
  • smoke effect while shooting the gun
  • new impact effects (more smoke, flashing light of explosions)
  • removed tracers, only visible with NVG
  • the A-164 now carries 240 countermeasure flares

Changelog

3.1:

- fixed signature keys not working
3.0:
- upgraded to the new sound system introduced with EDEN, this also fixes all previous sound issues
- added support for ACE's A-10C
- added support for RHS's A-10A (AT)
- integrated the mod into ACE's HUD-Ballistics system
- updated support for RHS's A-10A
- fixed 'bin\... not an array' and 'author is not a value' errors

2.0:

- fixed a bug introduced with the EDEN Update causing the ammo not getting loaded

1.9:
- added lockability of laser targets

1.8:
- updated support for RHS's A-10A
1.7:
- added support for Fullerpj's A-10C Thunderbolt II
1.6:
- added support for EricJ's skins (RC9) for the A-164 Wipeout
1.5:
- added support for STI A-10A
1.4:
- added support for the A-10C Thunderbolt II from Peral
- added readme.txt (features, instructions, FAQ, ...)
1.3:
- added support for RHS A-10A
1.2:
- fixed bullet drop which was to high
- added support for the close air support module
1.1:
- fixed a bug causing ressources not to be found
1.0:
- initial release

Download
Download here (no other addons required)

Edited by Alexus
  • Like 4

Nice Job!! Thanks.

But when game start shows "Script AL_ZAB_might_gau8_avenger\functions\fn_effectFiredGau8.sqf not found".

And there has no GAU-8 sound in A-164 cockpit right now.

Edited by NidhoggAC

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Nice Job!! Thanks.

But when game start shows "Script AL_ZAB_might_gau8_avenger\functions\fn_effectFiredGau8.sqf not found".

And there has no GAU-8 sound in A-164 cockpit right now.

Thanks, found the mistake. We renamed the folders for releasing it, and made a mistake.

Will be fixed in a few minutes.

Edit: Updated to Version 1.1

Edited by Alexus

We feel sorry for this easy avoidable mistake.

Alexus is currently uploading the fixed version :)

Edit: aaand up^^

Edited by Zabuza

Thanks for the headsup about the update :cool:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

Are your sounds and effects compatible with JSRS and Blastcore respectively, that is if we use them, will your addon still change the sounds and effects?

Edit: Yes, it works, and I must say this is amazing. :)

Thanks for the release.

Edited by DGeorge85

I have the feeling that the bulletdrop is allot higher then before. Can someone confirm?

I have the feeling that the bulletdrop is allot higher then before. Can someone confirm?

Yes, we accidentally increased the air-friction. Alexus is currently uploading a new version with:

- Corrected air-friction

- Support for Zeus-CAS-FireSupport-Script

Thank you for your feedback.

Mod updated to version 1.2

See changelog for more details.

So is airfriction now back to the default Wipeout values? Not that the ballistics we have to work with here are all that accurate from the get go, but if the 20mm gun has somewhat acceptable values to use as a reference, then you should probably even lower it in relation to default, as I'm sure the much bigger, heavier 30mm round has a higher ballistic coefficient.

Can we get a little table that compares the default cannon values (friction, damage, velocity, etc.) to yours to see just how much more heat we are packing? ;)

well,wanna ask could this mod be used on the A-10C form another mod right now?Or only the A-164 “Wipeout�

So is airfriction now back to the default Wipeout values? Not that the ballistics we have to work with here are all that accurate from the get go, but if the 20mm gun has somewhat acceptable values to use as a reference, then you should probably even lower it in relation to default, as I'm sure the much bigger, heavier 30mm round has a higher ballistic coefficient.

Can we get a little table that compares the default cannon values (friction, damage, velocity, etc.) to yours to see just how much more heat we are packing? ;)

Here are some for your question relevant values (value = our mod / vanilla):

calibre = 30mm / 20mm

initSpeed = 1030 / 1120

dispersion = 0.006 / 0.002

hit = 300 / 80

indirectHit = 100 / 12

indirectHitRange = 3.5 / 2

airFriction = -0.00036 / -0.00036

explosive = 0.35 / 0.4

You can see the airfriction now is the same (before last fix ours was ~2.5x lower, meaning more negativ). If you have some more realistic values feel free to contact us :)

And of course the RPM is now correct (in both firemodes), vanilla is pretty weird here^^

well,wanna ask could this mod be used on the A-10C form another mod right now?Or only the A-164 “Wipeout�

Currently the only thing the mod does is replacing the vanilla Gau-8 weapon with ours. All vehicles/mods that also use the exact same weapon will have our Gau-8.

BUT unfortunately theres a problem, the vehicle must add the correct magazine additionally to the weapon and our magazine is a new one. Resulting in having the correct weapon with no ammo for all mods that use the vanilla Gau-8 weapon (like A-10A from RHS).

We can easily fix that by also adding the magazine to the vehicle like we did with the A-164 but that would result in additional .pbo's for every mod you would like to be compatible with.

So we desided to deliver the mod first only compatible with the A-164 but if there are some people that would like to have more compatibility we can easily realize, just spell a mod :)

Edited by Zabuza

You can see the airfriction now is the same (before last fix ours was ~2.5x lower, meaning more negativ). If you have some more realistic values feel free to contact us :)

And of course the RPM is now correct (in both firemodes), vanilla is pretty weird here^^

Well, I wouldn't know except that the 30mm rounds would almost certainly have a higher BC (read lower airfriction) than the 20mm, but then again maybe the default 20mm values are lower than they should be to best reflect real-world ballistic performance making it a poor choice of reference. The issue is that the core ballistics in game are not realistic so even after a bunch of research and testing, you can only do so much. No matter how much you try and dial in a projectile in game, it's trajectory is only going to cross the realistic trajectory once, and be off to some degree at all other distances.

My personal feeling is that if you want to use the 20mm defaults as a reference then airfriction should be lowered, how much? I haven't the slightest. I guess a simple starting point would be to see if any sources on the net publish the ballistic coefficients for each round, and then say- if the BC of the 30mm projectile is 5% higher, you would then lower the airfriction 5%. Even with this hack-job approach, I'm not familiar with the exact math involved with ArmA ballistics, so I'm not sure if it is accurate to translate between real BC and BIS airfriction proportionally or not. In any case, it dawned on me that we aren't exactly zoomed in 25x and placing one perfect deadly shot with this beast of a cannon, so any small changes would have hardly any impact in practice. We are likely talking about a difference of impact measured in inches at 1000m, and probably less than a couple feet at 2000m, not all that significant when there is a storm of 100 rounds flying in with a decent margin of pilot error.

One thing I know for sure, I LOVE this mod. I was in a server running coordinated CAS all night, and couldn't get enough of it. Now I just need to convince everyone to get the mod because it was reported to me that the impacts are showing up as giant smoke clouds for those who don't have it.

Thanks for the headsup about the update :cool:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Alrighty! I will test this thing tonight.

Did u guys managed to do the workaround for my hud mod?

New mod v1.2 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@Alexus;

You are now able to manage your own promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and follow the quick and safe claim procedure to get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way by using any filesharing service and add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

How well is this working with @CCIP? Has anyone tried it out or tried adding the gun into the CCIP script?

One thing I know for sure, I LOVE this mod. I was in a server running coordinated CAS all night, and couldn't get enough of it. Now I just need to convince everyone to get the mod because it was reported to me that the impacts are showing up as giant smoke clouds for those who don't have it.

Well the norm is that everyone on the server should have the same mods, otherwise unforeseen issues can occur such as crashes to desktop.

To give it the same Bullet drop is good because otherwhise the Hud is way of so thanks for that.

If this mod can work nice with your HUD mod.....Oh, that will be VERY GOOD!!

How well is this working with @CCIP? Has anyone tried it out or tried adding the gun into the CCIP script?

It can work with CCIP mod, looks like no problem.

Which HUD-mod do you mean? Our mod should not conflict with any HUD mod, it only adds new values to an existing weapon, new magazines, new ammo and new fire modes but if the HUD mod isn't hardcoded it should work finde :)

Which CCIP-script do you mean? I know the CCIP script that calculates the impact points and shows them as green marker on the map. It works fine with that mod because it is not hardcoded, this mod gets the physical values directly of the weapon (init speed, air friction etc.) and calculates the impact point correctly :)

With your new modularity it should work, but I haven't tested it yet.

I think you just have to leave the weapon pbo out, but maybe it also works with it.

Contact me, if you have further information about that :)