Sign in to follow this  
afkellogg

Build stuff on manned mission

I think you are looking for the 3D printer, the 3D printer permit to print all objects you need !

Or maybe your question is about creating your own mission with your own base ? In this case i have never try the editor so i can't help you sorry.

I don't remember the keys, i wait for the patch that will finally bring correct key binding before playing again to TOM, but in short you grab it, you move it and once you put it on the ground, you can use the action key to bring the printing menu and i'm sure you will easily figure out the rest !

Hi AFKELLOGG,

To use the 3D printer you must first assemble it, ifit is not so yet. This is simply done by grabbing it (using the 'E' key by default), then pulling out your construction tool (default 'Q') and placing it where you wish, it will show a glowy representation of where to place it. Once it is placed it will unpack itself and then you can use it. It is pretty straightforward from there on.

Also a useful not, you can access your inventory with 'I' (default).

• Like 1

After playing a number of hours in game, building can be infinitely complex and incredibly simple at the same time, sometime when you place a part, other parts fly off into the distance. I also have tried many many times to figure out what the flying vehicle is for, and I have found no use at all for it, other than for flying around seeing terrain you cannot land or build on. Granted the ability to do make the entire surface of mars in a game like this would not be available, but it seems that the current map, most vehicles are nearly useless other than maybe the MML or science rover, and forklift. Which I have used with friends online to build roofs and get materials up to the second floor of buildings with the pallet cage.

After playing a number of hours in game, building can be infinitely complex and incredibly simple at the same time, sometime when you place a part, other parts fly off into the distance. I also have tried many many times to figure out what the flying vehicle is for, and I have found no use at all for it, other than for flying around seeing terrain you cannot land or build on. Granted the ability to do make the entire surface of mars in a game like this would not be available, but it seems that the current map, most vehicles are nearly useless other than maybe the MML or science rover, and forklift. Which I have used with friends online to build roofs and get materials up to the second floor of buildings with the pallet cage.

I think the flying vehicle will become useful later on. Once they introduce missions where we have to build and explore inside a nearby crater or something like recover a lost lander. From the looks of it, the flying vehicle will be handy to transport objects across different types of terrain.

Back to the topic of Building.

I have been able to build a simple base with one airlock with no problem on Mars. But When I tried a bigger one with 2 airlocks.... the pressure in side the base is around 1kpa, way too much than outside. Anyone has any ideas or have encountered the same issue?

I guess that, as a new user, I am not allowed to make new threads. This thread seems the most relevant:

I just discovered Take On Mars, and bought it for my wife and myself. We've started a multiplayer game in the "Mars Yard" scenario, so that we could figure things out without having to worry about O2 etc. We've built a base (the airlock was by far the hardest part), and now we're enhancing it. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any furniture. There are beds in the capsule, but I don't seem to be able to make beds, chairs, tables, desks, or other furniture. Are these sorts of things planned?

It would be really nice to have a wide variety of amenities - even if much of it is only cosmetic. For example, a prop toilet doesn't need to work, but it makes it feel like the place is meant for people to live in. That adds to the verisimilitude, which is really where these kinds of simulations shine.

Also, right now everything runs on magic. The 3D printer takes no power or other materials. The various mining and extraction devices don't require power. Is there a plan to require solar arrays or other energy sources? Will structures require iron and aluminum, which I can already extract? Perhaps the capsule would contain a small generator and some supplies to help you get started in a survival game.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining - especially on my first post! I really like the game, I just want to know where it's headed!

I think the flying vehicle will become useful later on. Once they introduce missions where we have to build and explore inside a nearby crater or something like recover a lost lander. From the looks of it, the flying vehicle will be handy to transport objects across different types of terrain.

Back to the topic of Building.

I have been able to build a simple base with one airlock with no problem on Mars. But When I tried a bigger one with 2 airlocks.... the pressure in side the base is around 1kpa, way too much than outside. Anyone has any ideas or have encountered the same issue?

There is a known issue atm where the airlock suitholders in a created airlock passage may generate incorrect atmospheric zones, leading to incorrect pressure in the passage. This is being fixed atm.

I guess that, as a new user, I am not allowed to make new threads. This thread seems the most relevant:

I just discovered Take On Mars, and bought it for my wife and myself. We've started a multiplayer game in the "Mars Yard" scenario, so that we could figure things out without having to worry about O2 etc. We've built a base (the airlock was by far the hardest part), and now we're enhancing it. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any furniture. There are beds in the capsule, but I don't seem to be able to make beds, chairs, tables, desks, or other furniture. Are these sorts of things planned?

It would be really nice to have a wide variety of amenities - even if much of it is only cosmetic. For example, a prop toilet doesn't need to work, but it makes it feel like the place is meant for people to live in. That adds to the verisimilitude, which is really where these kinds of simulations shine.

Also, right now everything runs on magic. The 3D printer takes no power or other materials. The various mining and extraction devices don't require power. Is there a plan to require solar arrays or other energy sources? Will structures require iron and aluminum, which I can already extract? Perhaps the capsule would contain a small generator and some supplies to help you get started in a survival game.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining - especially on my first post! I really like the game, I just want to know where it's headed!

Hi Scalding and welcome!

Furniture is indeed missing and is actually being worked on right now. So expect that within the coming weeks. A toilet will also be there and will in fact be functional - faeces will be used as an essential part to fertilizer.

The 3D Printer will also start using resources soon, we've left that out for now to allow proper experimentation with constructing buildings.

Power generation will also factor in soon, and will also be an essential element to a base and mining outposts.

Hope that answers your questions :)

Excellent! Thanks, that answers my questions... for now ;) I'm sure I'll have more later!

Excellent! Thanks, that answers my questions... for now ;) I'm sure I'll have more later!

Hehe, no worries :)

Really looking forward to proper power management. The current base building is nice, but lacks things to do besides simple pressurized compartments.

Hehe, no worries :)

Hey Dram,

First I want to say thank you for the time and effort your team has put into this game, it's amazing and addictive! I'm having trouble understanding some basic things though, and since I can't create a thread yet, I was hoping maybe you guys could post a thread on here explaining how some of the basics work, or just trouble-shooting stuff.

My current problem is that I don't know how to refill my suits O2 tanks. Thanks and keep at it, this is a space-lovers dream game!

Hey Dram,

First I want to say thank you for the time and effort your team has put into this game, it's amazing and addictive! I'm having trouble understanding some basic things though, and since I can't create a thread yet, I was hoping maybe you guys could post a thread on here explaining how some of the basics work, or just trouble-shooting stuff.

My current problem is that I don't know how to refill my suits O2 tanks. Thanks and keep at it, this is a space-lovers dream game!

Nevermind I found it! For anyone else looking for the answer to this: you have to put your suit back into a suit holder for the O2 tank to replenish :D this is the only way I've found so far. Happy exploring!

Nevermind I found it! For anyone else looking for the answer to this: you have to put your suit back into a suit holder for the O2 tank to replenish :D this is the only way I've found so far. Happy exploring!

Awesome, glad you found it :) And you are very welcome

Is there a possibility to have the 3D printer make multiple batches? As in, I tell it to make 4 corner pieces and as I remove a piece it starts the next one automatically. If the piece is not removed, it goes into standby until the "tray" is cleared?

Really looking forward to managing power and resources. I'm assuming there's plans for having an oxygen gen/system that will require the oxygen that we're refining to be stored and supplied to? Perhaps a way to hook up the refinery directly to a resource tank so all the oxygen is directed to the tank instead of needing someone to constantly monitor the bottles and transfer them back and forth? Or maybe just another piece of equipment that draws oxygen from the ground directly?

On Pressurization:

The current system is a little finicky (Alpha stage I know hehe) as it stands, it seems like a toss up whether my room pressurizes or not. The airlock passageways seem to work (excepting the suit rack problems, which I find is fixed if there is one window/armour passageway between the rack and the door). Beyond that though, I get some rooms pressurizing right but others don't. I've had a room with three separate exits, all airlock doors, with all doors giving different pressure readings (104, 480, and I think one in the 1000s). I had to re-attach some plates showing leaks but now there are no leaks showing anymore and yet the room won't pressurize. Also a problem with rooms that have vertical tubes with stairs. Both top and bottom are sealed with airlock doors on top and bottom, yet not pressurizing.

There's also an issue with the way to airlock doors work. I noticed that when they open, they create a "leak". This leak doesn't seem to take into account if the opposite side is pressurized or not. I have an airlock (pressurized) and an adjoining room (pressurized). When I open the airlock door to the adjoining (pressurized) room it de-pressurizes both rooms (don't know where the air is going) until I close it again. This makes for stressful moments when doing this without a suit on haha. I nearly blackout going from room to room in my base. I can't imagine the panic this would cause if someone was relaxing inside the room while I was coming in hahaha.

How far down the development list is room pressurization if I may ask? Ideally, the room transitions should be like in the mobile lab rover. That seems to pressurize the whole vehicle fine and opening/closing doors doesn't suffocate you.

Lastly...phew...what is the "cycle" button on the airlock doors meant for? It doesn't seem to do anything atm.

Thanks for your time, LOVING this game. :)

Hi Sloaner,

Is there a possibility to have the 3D printer make multiple batches? As in, I tell it to make 4 corner pieces and as I remove a piece it starts the next one automatically. If the piece is not removed, it goes into standby until the "tray" is cleared?

Not atm but something like that is definitely planned.

Really looking forward to managing power and resources. I'm assuming there's plans for having an oxygen gen/system that will require the oxygen that we're refining to be stored and supplied to? Perhaps a way to hook up the refinery directly to a resource tank so all the oxygen is directed to the tank instead of needing someone to constantly monitor the bottles and transfer them back and forth? Or maybe just another piece of equipment that draws oxygen from the ground directly?

Yep, you'll have to mine oxygen from the location. That can be in several ways, such as breaking CO2 into C + O2. You then will plug the O2 into the base via storage tanks. The life support module will then use that to pressurize the base.

On Pressurization:

The current system is a little finicky (Alpha stage I know hehe) as it stands, it seems like a toss up whether my room pressurizes or not. The airlock passageways seem to work (excepting the suit rack problems, which I find is fixed if there is one window/armour passageway between the rack and the door). Beyond that though, I get some rooms pressurizing right but others don't. I've had a room with three separate exits, all airlock doors, with all doors giving different pressure readings (104, 480, and I think one in the 1000s). I had to re-attach some plates showing leaks but now there are no leaks showing anymore and yet the room won't pressurize. Also a problem with rooms that have vertical tubes with stairs. Both top and bottom are sealed with airlock doors on top and bottom, yet not pressurizing.

Yeah the algorithm for generating atmospheric zones is a little flawed atm. I am in the process of overhauling it.

There's also an issue with the way to airlock doors work. I noticed that when they open, they create a "leak". This leak doesn't seem to take into account if the opposite side is pressurized or not. I have an airlock (pressurized) and an adjoining room (pressurized). When I open the airlock door to the adjoining (pressurized) room it de-pressurizes both rooms (don't know where the air is going) until I close it again. This makes for stressful moments when doing this without a suit on haha. I nearly blackout going from room to room in my base. I can't imagine the panic this would cause if someone was relaxing inside the room while I was coming in hahaha.

Yeah this is related to the issue above, where the door checks if there is an atmospheric zone on the other side, and if not it considers you venting to the environment. This won't happen when I finish fixing the algorithm :)

How far down the development list is room pressurization if I may ask? Ideally, the room transitions should be like in the mobile lab rover. That seems to pressurize the whole vehicle fine and opening/closing doors doesn't suffocate you.

Literally in progress right now :) ETA is within a week or two tops.

Lastly...phew...what is the "cycle" button on the airlock doors meant for? It doesn't seem to do anything atm.

The cycle button is meant to initiate pressurization/depressurization. Once the aforementioned overhaul is complete, you won't be able to open a door which has a dangerous pressure difference, so will need to depressurize/pressurize first.

Thanks for your time, LOVING this game. :)

No problem, and thank you for the feedback! Very happy you are enjoying the game :)

Furniture is indeed missing and is actually being worked on right now. So expect that within the coming weeks. A toilet will also be there and will in fact be functional - faeces will be used as an essential part to fertilizer.

The 3D Printer will also start using resources soon, we've left that out for now to allow proper experimentation with constructing buildings.

Power generation will also factor in soon, and will also be an essential element to a base and mining outposts.

Ha nice about the toilet.Also I'm glad you guys working on power generation and I have to say I'm happy you work on furniture,this always bothered me in Space Engineers with it's very lackluster interiors.I need my martian butt to feel comfy.:P

Btw,do you guys plan any sort of AI in the future,like AI astronauts to give them tasks and such?

How can I build a building in the editor? If I want a scenario with a previous (mystically disapear) manned mission what we need to find clues. And I want to build a building in the editor. Could I do that? Is it possible? How?

P.S.: Hurry Dram, the new Matt Deamon movie can boost your solds :) This game is perfect and extremly fit to this movie...

Anyway, not the first time when BIS predict real life events (ArmA2 was very similar to Georgian conflict).

Hey,

I've just started playing TOM and I'm loving it but I spotted some problems.

The most important one is the building of certain vehicles. I am able to

build the Buggy or the Transporter a.s.o. with the 3D printer but not the

aircraft or the large rover (you know this giant thing with it's own bed, airlock ...).

First I thought I have to construct the rover by myself by putting all the parts together.

But I can't find those parts. Then I thought the rover may be droped later (by an orbital drop

or so).

As you can see I don't know what to do. The rover is not very important for my gameplay but I would like

to have one.

Thx for yor help ^^

Love TOM !

PS: sry for eventualy existing faults. english is not my native language :P

You can go into Editor, load your scenario, edit in the big rover, and save it with a different name (e.g. Gale Crater with big rover), then in Scenarios, look for the end of the list, there should be a new scenario beginning with "CUSTOM:", that will be the one you edited.

Hello all,

I too have a question regarding building. I have to jump in on this thread as it seems I can't start my own... ?

I have been trying the "Lunar Proving Ground" mission and the scenario starts with 2 large resource tanks full of carbon and water. However to be able to access the resources with barrels it seems you first have to use the building (drill) tool to install the resource tank.

However the tank is too heavy to lift and manipulate and therefor seems impossible to install.

Even the crane with magnet can't lift it.

As there is no water or carbon to be extracted from the moon rock and soil, this is the only resource of water and carbon available... so this problem is rather limiting.

How does one go about installing heavy resource tanks, or other heavy objects??

Many thanks for help !

Puzzled by the same 'problem' I in the end used a mod that makes the tanks zero weight. (don't have Steam open at the moment, but it should be easy to find) :mellow:

Mind you I had some problems getting it to activate and then again to get rid of it after placing the tanks, since one obviously doesn't want placable items that are zero weight when this bug gets fixed. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Sorry in advance for necroing this thread. I'm having issues in one of the scenarios, Kaiser Colony no. 001, in the premade hab. There seems to be a leak near one of the airlock doors that leads to another section of the premade base. I tried looking for any leaks or missing structure, none found; then I tried to dissemble and re-assemble the room to fix the error near the depressurized section. No luck fixing the depressurized zone. I know that there was / is a known issue regarding the algorithm that determines pressurized zones. Any news regarding this known error for Kaiser Colony no. 001 or is it related to the algorithm error.

Side note, I have also noticed this same error, though in a different capacity. I was building a separate base with partially sectioned off rooms for dormitories and a head (bathroom). The sectioned off area is just an alcove with a very narrow entry with a curve for 'privacy' for the beds and computer workstation. Once the structure was completed walking through the module I came across four different depressurized areas with no leaks when bringing up the construction tool. I'm inclined to think that the algorithm is still bugged which is causing the above error.

Sorry in advance for necroing this thread. I'm having issues in one of the scenarios, Kaiser Colony no. 001, in the premade hab. There seems to be a leak near one of the airlock doors that leads to another section of the premade base. I tried looking for any leaks or missing structure, none found; then I tried to dissemble and re-assemble the room to fix the error near the depressurized section. No luck fixing the depressurized zone. I know that there was / is a known issue regarding the algorithm that determines pressurized zones. Any news regarding this known error for Kaiser Colony no. 001 or is it related to the algorithm error.

Side note, I have also noticed this same error, though in a different capacity. I was building a separate base with partially sectioned off rooms for dormitories and a head (bathroom). The sectioned off area is just an alcove with a very narrow entry with a curve for 'privacy' for the beds and computer workstation. Once the structure was completed walking through the module I came across four different depressurized areas with no leaks when bringing up the construction tool. I'm inclined to think that the algorithm is still bugged which is causing the above error.

I noted something like that... but i fixed it just checking the door orientation. In my case, a simple room with a simple door, then in that door the place for store/recharge the suit and finaly the main airlock door. Pretty simple, right? but it didnt work! hahaha, the area between doors (where the suit rechage place) was totally unpresurized... Well, I fixed it just adding a new section to the recharge suit, just for enlarge it and then, making sure the door orientation open to inside, not outside of the habitat. Let me put you a simple pic...

ozWXvxZ.jpg

Usually, all presurized devices, need this configuration for allow the interior pressure seal the door/hatch.