Sign in to follow this  
annerjb

Would you buy a DLC with more UAV content?

This makes no sense. Flying with AFM without proper gear that has analogue inputs is really not fun and even hindering in most cases. Why would you force this on everyone?

If it was in my hands I would start with removing 3rd person from the game entirely, but then you'd either lose 75% of the player-base or have someone hack the code to add it as a mod anyway. Simulators don't really make you much money, unless you sell to the US Army, so BI isn't really trying to make ARMA3 into one. ;)

I wouldn't remove it just to not alienate anyone but what I would do is implement a fog of war system to the rendering engine and reposition the camera so it does not hover 30 feet above the player.

Anything your player cannot physically see does not render, so vehicles and players behind walls wont render.

As for the AFM i thought mouse and keyboard worked fine but required some skill. Part of my reasoning for wanting AFM to be mandatory is due to the extreme precision that is unrealisticly available to mouse and keyboard heli flyers. hotas and joystick Helo flying seems better balanced especially with afm.

Also people would complain if they did remove third person view but after a while they would adapt.

I wouldn't remove it just to not alienate anyone but what I would do is implement a fog of war system to the rendering engine and reposition the camera so it does not hover 30 feet above the player.

Correction, it's actually one meter.

Correction, it's actually one meter.

Really it feels like it is substantially higher. Like a freaking periscope.

I have removed 3rd person from my community server, if you run your own server you can do it too.

Most of the people want it because "it's cool to see your own character" but in the end i always catch them spying behind corners. :D

I simply wish had more courage and allocated more resources (time+money+adaptation) for additional [any level] programmers, so even RV of A3 gets a separate renderer (like Dayz), new functionality in within less time.

I know it's a complicated task and very risky to hire new people in an increasing manner, but perhaps there's enough enthusiastic, capable and motivated C++ devs that don't rely too much on actual paygrades when looking for jobs ;)

I have removed 3rd person from my community server, if you run your own server you can do it too.

Most of the people want it because "it's cool to see your own character" but in the end i always catch them spying behind corners. :D

What is the average population of your server before/after?

I found in extensive tests that removing third person reduces the time a player spends on the server significantly. From avg 45 min (excluding the people who join and leave right away), down to just over 17 min. Could be correlation, but ...

A lot of enjoyment players get is playing with others, instead of alone. So if something you are implementing is causing some/many to exodus, then even the remaining players are adversely affected.

I prefer the soft approach, to provide in-game perks/benefits to players who are playing 1st person, but always leaving the option open to switch 3rd person. IE increased stamina, lower cost table for gear, more database access, etc. 3PV unlocked by default but if the player willingly chooses to lock to 1PV-only, then these perks are made available.

More complex but player retention much higher.

My server is private and i use it only when i play co-op with my mates.

However when my mates go in public servers they like to have 3rd person and all the gucci gear (modded weapons, uniforms, etc).

It's reasonable to assume that more punishing server rules (even restricting certain weapons to certain classes) drive away players, as one would expect.

I like the idea of UAVs. They are a good piece of equipment on the battlefield and can deliver the needed intel before an operation. However for a new DLC there must be something good that comes with it. I don't want just new UAVs. New mechanics MUST be introduced, but I'm not sure what could they bring. I will be looking forward to a new DLC no matter what it is :D

It also depends how you use a UAV.

If you are able to communicate properly, you can use a UAV in real-time to lead an infantry unit to flank and finish the enemy. It is awesome when you pull it off properly.

I've been playing in Wasteland, whatever your opinion is of that, and one of my favorite things to do is go get a dive suit, sit underwater, and fly my UAV as a spotter for a team. The ONLY trouble I have is that it flies so slow and sometimes having it do autonomous flight, it spazzes out sometimes.

It was heartbreaking, relaying all the info to teammates, and having them still get overwhelmed after they were found by a squad in a GMG Hunter. Watching it all overhead, hearing: "He got me, I'm down" several times while being able to do nothing about it. Even though it sucked, it's those kinds of moments that I think make for good gameplay with the UAVs.

I think maybe a Firescout would be a decent addition. It's a little bigger and faster. Can potentially carry weapons, maybe a couple points for a soldier or two to latch onto. It's cool with all of these UAV/UGVs because you essentially BECOME the vehicle.

It also depends how you use a UAV.

If you are able to communicate properly, you can use a UAV in real-time to lead an infantry unit to flank and finish the enemy. It is awesome when you pull it off properly.

I Agree

I've been playing in Wasteland, whatever your opinion is of that, and one of my favorite things to do is go get a dive suit, sit underwater, and fly my UAV as a spotter for a team.

Waterproof UAV Terminal, that's really cool, now we can say that Arma 3 is futuristic.

For the sake of futurism, I will buy a UAV DLC if it will have completely autonomous UAVs, capable to communicate between themselves and having the ability to learn and adapt when facing unexpected or new situations.

I would love to see a UAV DLC. I have wanted to (but don't have the modeling skills) make a version of the stomper that is equipped with an 80mm mortar rather than a GL and 50 cal. There are a lot of things I wish to see improved with UAVs though. Particularly air UAVs. In my opinion, the following needs to change.

-Altitude settings for waypoints should include 1000m and 1500m settings. 500m is too low, and 2000m is too high, there needs to be a few settings in between.

-The turrets on UAVs (and helicopters) need a huge increase in stability. Somehow BIS needs to soft-lock the camera onto the target that is aimed at the moment the mouse stops moving and unlock it when the mouse moves. The delay makes this soft-locking feature worthless.

-The UAV camera should maintain a "hard lock" (by pressing ctrl T) when exiting uav turret control, so that using the AV camera feature is more viable. At the moment, this feature only really works when the player uses the darter, as the darter can remain perfectly stationary.

-The "follow" waypoint should be adjusted to have some amount of tolerance. Telling the UAV to follow at a distance of Xm is great if you want to keep the UAV from running you over, but it would be nice if we could make it so that the UAV will drive up to within say, 15m of the follow target and then remain stationary until it is, say, 50m from the follow target, at which point it will drive up to 15m again. That way it isn't moving constantly to maintain exactly X meters from the follow target. Sometimes we just want the UAV to stay relatively close if we get too far away, but we don't want it moving all the time.

-The UAV "drivers" and "pilots" need to stop flying straight at enemies to attack them. UAV "pilots" should be completely unaware of enemies on the ground, and only deploy flares automatically. It is stupid when UAVs dive bomb enemy vehicles. Only the AI in the turret should be permitted to fire missiles and lock on to enemies autonomously, the pilot should continue to fly on its merry way while the turret AI locks on and fires missiles as if the pilot AI is completely oblivious. In fact, I think it is completely rediculous how low and in your face jets get when doing gun runs, and I don't like how helicopters don't stand off at 2-5km away while gunning infantry (as they do in real life in asymmetrical warfare, conventional warfare necessitates low and fast attack runs) and instead fly within 20m of them on strafing runs making them targets for small arms fire. But that is another point.

While a UAV DLC would be cool (I love designing missions for myself that allow the player to control the turret of a UAV to eliminate targets from high above before proceeding into an area on foot, using a loiter waypoint and using the turret and laser to guide in SCALPEL missiles feels much more real than a UAV acting like a fighter jet and swooping in close for a kill.)

What I really want to see is some much needed immersion.

-Without a watch or GPS equipped, the time should not appear on the map.

-There should be a "radar circle" available to the player at all times showing his group members on it, but it should only show the azimuth that he is facing if he has a compass equipped or is in a vehicle. Map markers should only be shared with group members, except that the group leader should be able to share map markers with all players on the same "side."

-The artillery interface (not the artillery computer) should include an indicator showing the current amount of charge used (short, medium, long, ect.)

-The artillery computer should NOT SHOW MAP MARKERS OR UNITS and should simply give a blank map (even this is very "Easy-mode" but enableEngineArtillery false; can force players to use the elev and azt to hit targets with realism.

-Cannon artillery (mortars, sochors, ect) should not have cluster shells. Instead, they should have GPS guided shells which function just like standard HE shells but have perfect accuracy.

-All Sandstorm MRLS rockets should be GPS guided and have near-perfect accuracy.

-The Sandstorm MRLS should have more magazine types available to it, and different variants with different combinations of warhead rockets should be available in the editor (Sandstorm MRLS (MP) for example, which would have 6 rounds of HE, 2 rounds AT mine rockets, 2 rounds AP mine rockets, and 2 rounds DPCIM rockets).

-All HE rounds in artillery (rockets or shells) should have the option to switch to air-burst, decreasing their effect against heavy armor but widening their blast radius for greater effect against light armor and infantry.

-35mm Anti-Air rounds should have a radio proximity fuze and detonate when near an aircraft to cause damage, not just when impacting them.

-The static 40mm GL should be changed to a 25mm GL, and it should have the ability to "air burst" at specific ranges (the player aims at a point, selects "set HEAB range" and then this range is displayed on the HUD, when the player fires, the round will detonate at that range).

-A Infantry should see and move to engage enemies from longer ranges, and begin shooting once they are within range and continue shooting if the enemy moves far away while fleeing in an attempt to suppress them.

-AI should also react to nearby bullet impacts and explosions, changing to "aware" or "combat" depending on how close the impact was and then beginning to search for the source of the shot, and then moving to engage once the source is located.

-AI should make better use of cover. If a few seconds go by without bullets passing nearby while an AI is in "combat" mode, an enemy should crouch and run to cover, not continue lying down. AI should actually suppress an area when ordered to, and AI squad leaders should order subordinate autorifleman and rifleman to suppress areas more often. AI should also use smoke grenades if they are lying down and the nearest cover is far away.

-AI should also throw grenades towards the last known location of an enemy if the enemy is within hand grenade throwing range and the enemy is not presently visible to the AI

-The "hold" and "sentry" waypoints should also encourage groups of infantry to disperse over a wider area upon reaching the waypoint and take cover in buildings in elevated positions. "search and destroy" should also cause squad leaders to order infantry to "clear" buildings, causing them to enter the building and check around and then exit.

-AI controlled Jets should engage groups of infantry with their cannons and HE rockets.

None of this is really DLC related though. For DLC, a faction of irregulars would be cool, and some older (modern, not futuristic) russian vehicles and weapons for them would be nice. Would be great if this faction was included on every "side" so you could have greenfor irregulars vs redfor CSAT for example.

I would love to see a UAV DLC. I have wanted to (but don't have the modeling skills) make a version of the stomper that is equipped with an 80mm mortar rather than a GL and 50 cal. There are a lot of things I wish to see improved with UAVs though. Particularly air UAVs. In my opinion, the following needs to change.

-Altitude settings for waypoints should include 1000m and 1500m settings. 500m is too low, and 2000m is too high, there needs to be a few settings in between.

-The turrets on UAVs (and helicopters) need a huge increase in stability. Somehow BIS needs to soft-lock the camera onto the target that is aimed at the moment the mouse stops moving and unlock it when the mouse moves. The delay makes this soft-locking feature worthless.

-The UAV camera should maintain a "hard lock" (by pressing ctrl T) when exiting uav turret control, so that using the AV camera feature is more viable. At the moment, this feature only really works when the player uses the darter, as the darter can remain perfectly stationary.

-The "follow" waypoint should be adjusted to have some amount of tolerance. Telling the UAV to follow at a distance of Xm is great if you want to keep the UAV from running you over, but it would be nice if we could make it so that the UAV will drive up to within say, 15m of the follow target and then remain stationary until it is, say, 50m from the follow target, at which point it will drive up to 15m again. That way it isn't moving constantly to maintain exactly X meters from the follow target. Sometimes we just want the UAV to stay relatively close if we get too far away, but we don't want it moving all the time.

-The UAV "drivers" and "pilots" need to stop flying straight at enemies to attack them. UAV "pilots" should be completely unaware of enemies on the ground, and only deploy flares automatically. It is stupid when UAVs dive bomb enemy vehicles. Only the AI in the turret should be permitted to fire missiles and lock on to enemies autonomously, the pilot should continue to fly on its merry way while the turret AI locks on and fires missiles as if the pilot AI is completely oblivious. In fact, I think it is completely rediculous how low and in your face jets get when doing gun runs, and I don't like how helicopters don't stand off at 2-5km away while gunning infantry (as they do in real life in asymmetrical warfare, conventional warfare necessitates low and fast attack runs) and instead fly within 20m of them on strafing runs making them targets for small arms fire. But that is another point.

While a UAV DLC would be cool (I love designing missions for myself that allow the player to control the turret of a UAV to eliminate targets from high above before proceeding into an area on foot, using a loiter waypoint and using the turret and laser to guide in SCALPEL missiles feels much more real than a UAV acting like a fighter jet and swooping in close for a kill.)

What I really want to see is some much needed immersion.

-Without a watch or GPS equipped, the time should not appear on the map.

-There should be a "radar circle" available to the player at all times showing his group members on it, but it should only show the azimuth that he is facing if he has a compass equipped or is in a vehicle. Map markers should only be shared with group members, except that the group leader should be able to share map markers with all players on the same "side."

-The artillery interface (not the artillery computer) should include an indicator showing the current amount of charge used (short, medium, long, ect.)

-The artillery computer should NOT SHOW MAP MARKERS OR UNITS and should simply give a blank map (even this is very "Easy-mode" but enableEngineArtillery false; can force players to use the elev and azt to hit targets with realism.

-Cannon artillery (mortars, sochors, ect) should not have cluster shells. Instead, they should have GPS guided shells which function just like standard HE shells but have perfect accuracy.

-All Sandstorm MRLS rockets should be GPS guided and have near-perfect accuracy.

-The Sandstorm MRLS should have more magazine types available to it, and different variants with different combinations of warhead rockets should be available in the editor (Sandstorm MRLS (MP) for example, which would have 6 rounds of HE, 2 rounds AT mine rockets, 2 rounds AP mine rockets, and 2 rounds DPCIM rockets).

-All HE rounds in artillery (rockets or shells) should have the option to switch to air-burst, decreasing their effect against heavy armor but widening their blast radius for greater effect against light armor and infantry.

-35mm Anti-Air rounds should have a radio proximity fuze and detonate when near an aircraft to cause damage, not just when impacting them.

-The static 40mm GL should be changed to a 25mm GL, and it should have the ability to "air burst" at specific ranges (the player aims at a point, selects "set HEAB range" and then this range is displayed on the HUD, when the player fires, the round will detonate at that range).

-A Infantry should see and move to engage enemies from longer ranges, and begin shooting once they are within range and continue shooting if the enemy moves far away while fleeing in an attempt to suppress them.

-AI should also react to nearby bullet impacts and explosions, changing to "aware" or "combat" depending on how close the impact was and then beginning to search for the source of the shot, and then moving to engage once the source is located.

-AI should make better use of cover. If a few seconds go by without bullets passing nearby while an AI is in "combat" mode, an enemy should crouch and run to cover, not continue lying down. AI should actually suppress an area when ordered to, and AI squad leaders should order subordinate autorifleman and rifleman to suppress areas more often. AI should also use smoke grenades if they are lying down and the nearest cover is far away.

-AI should also throw grenades towards the last known location of an enemy if the enemy is within hand grenade throwing range and the enemy is not presently visible to the AI

-The "hold" and "sentry" waypoints should also encourage groups of infantry to disperse over a wider area upon reaching the waypoint and take cover in buildings in elevated positions. "search and destroy" should also cause squad leaders to order infantry to "clear" buildings, causing them to enter the building and check around and then exit.

-AI controlled Jets should engage groups of infantry with their cannons and HE rockets.

None of this is really DLC related though. For DLC, a faction of irregulars would be cool, and some older (modern, not futuristic) russian vehicles and weapons for them would be nice. Would be great if this faction was included on every "side" so you could have greenfor irregulars vs redfor CSAT for example.

Great ideas.

You briefly touched on csws with the mentioning of artillery and advanced firing modes

THAT is what I would pay DLC for

Give us a CREW SERVED WEAPONS DLC

- All of the crew served weapons from Arma 2 brought back with Arma 3 standards and new features

- Everything from light mortars like the m224a1 and the spg9 able to be man portable and break down into pieces with a better system than we have now.

- In engine towing allowing for towable guns , mortars and Recoiless rifles

- Wide variety of Technicals with CSW mounted on top

- T&E elevation system in place for all tripod and pintle mounted weapons in the game allowing for the ability for ultra long range fire and control just like real life T&E that is available in most CSWs. Arrow keys move the traverse and elevation of the CSW.

- All new Artillery computer that requires more player input , Location + height of weapon, Location + height of target = Firing solution, number of charges. Player then manually aims the gun using mils and elevation, after firing gun like real life shakes violently and is in a new position, player must readjust aim manually. round is affected by wind.

- Medium velocity 40mm munitions for the underslung gls + ability to set airburst range using a separate menu.

Recent flair ups in the world such as Ukraine , Syria, Iraq, Nigeria etc have shown that Crew served weapons and "outdated" weapons will continue to player probably the most important role in warfare. Even in armies with modernized armies csw still prove to be invaluable and extremely effective but most of all extremely portable and versatile.

That is the DLC I would love to pay for a Vast selection of Crew served weapons + more complex game mechanics as a result of them being treated like real life.

On the topic of Artillery, that reminds me that the in-game interfaces are one thing I would really like to see fixed in a DLC or some sort.

For both the Artillery and UAVs, the computers/terminals are pretty boring, presenting very plain information, in a sort of click-to-win fashion. I'd much prefer to see more realistic and interesting/useful terminal upgrades for both UAVs and the Artillery.

On the topic of Artillery, that reminds me that the in-game interfaces are one thing I would really like to see fixed in a DLC or some sort.

For both the Artillery and UAVs, the computers/terminals are pretty boring, presenting very plain information, in a sort of click-to-win fashion. I'd much prefer to see more realistic and interesting/useful terminal upgrades for both UAVs and the Artillery.

What are your thoughts on steel beasts method of controlling turrets.

Where unlike Arma where its 1:1 with mouse movement instead the turret acts like a turret by going to the corresponding aiming point by leading a cursor to the desired location, the further away the higher the chance to over aim and have to correct.

notice how having the crosshair slightly to the left continues to move the turret left until the player repositions the cursor in the center.

I think this is one way to add depth and balance vehicles and it simulates actual turret manipulation.

Another thing to point out is when he is using night vision or thermal optics the screen frame rate lowers to whatever real life refresh rate that mode has in the vehicle this tiny touch imo is great.

As long as the drones are not really usable in multiplayer matches (self explodung, losing connection, not able to connect) iam not willing to pay for an extra dlc.

As long as the drones are not really usable in multiplayer matches (self explodung, losing connection, not able to connect) iam not willing to pay for an extra dlc.

Cant say as the group I play with has ever had issues with the UAVs apart from the occasional twitchiness, though this was pegged to the mission maker having set them to fly at the wrong altitude and the drone not liking it. Then again, this comes down to the types of missions you're playing and how well they're made.

Cant say as the group I play with has ever had issues with the UAVs apart from the occasional twitchiness, though this was pegged to the mission maker having set them to fly at the wrong altitude and the drone not liking it. Then again, this comes down to the types of missions you're playing and how well they're made.

I just put the drones on the ground. After entering them as driver and starting the motor it makes boom... without any reason. If i let the ai start the engine all is fine. Totally strange.