Sign in to follow this  
rekkless

What mods do I HAVE to install on the server

So I've just made the plunge so to speak and rented my first server. And boy is it different than just trying to host your own games off your PC.

Anyway I'm in the process of uploading the mods I need to the server so everything runs smoothly. Now my internet isn't that great and the interfact of the server host isn't great either only allowing me to upload files 1gig or less at a time (mods have to be uploaded in ZIP format)

anyway my squad uses about 45 mods ranging from realism mods like AGM, to All In Arma Terrain, as well as a bunch of vehicle packs, weapons and uniform packs.

Now i know I don't need to upload mods like JSRS or blastcore to the server. And I know I need to upload mods like Task Force Radio and AGM. But what about mods like weapons packs?

Do i need the server to see my SMA weapons? and my Tryk Multiplay uniforms? Does the server need to be running the HLC weapons packs in order for there to be no problems?

Or can I get away with just uploading Server based mods like RHS Escalation, AGM, Task Force, MCC, Alive and CBA?

anything that creates a classname, eg a weapon, vehicle, uniform or island that others will see or interact with needs to be on both the server and the client

If your not sure put it on the server

Anything that is classed as a client side mod, you just need to load the bikeys on the server

this would include

any sound mod

Blastcore

shack tac hud and assosciated addons

weaponresting

I would suspect that the armaholics page for that addon would define for you if it were a clientside addon or not

• Like 1

To (over)simplify it a bit,

- If the mod is something your squad NEEDS to download in order not to throw errors like missing classnames or invisible objects when joining the server, then most likely the server needs it too.

- If the mod is something you could have run on your own without affecting others, like interface or effects mods, then like Terox said just upload the bikeys into the server.

This assumes, of course, that you are going to force keys on your server. If you're running with a really small group on a closed server, you could get away without fussing over all the keys. If the server is public, don't even think about it. Make sure you upload AIATP Lite instead of the full thing, though, since you've got an upload size cap.

By the way, check with the server provider if they have an FTP address that you can use to upload things. Most providers (to my knowledge) would have one to facilitate transferring files.

Thank you guys for such quick and helpful responses. Uploading AiATP lite is a brilliant idea, As my server host only allows me to upload 1gig at a time I had to zip up the TP in about 7 different zip files but that idea will allow me to upload it in only 2 parts.

With the lite version do I need to rename anything? Or will it work just fine out of the box with the full pack my players will be using?

My server has a FTP address but I'm not sure how I can use that to upload file, when I log in it basically just opens something like windows explorer and I can't seem to do much with it.

Is there any other advice you would give someone who is totally new to dedicated servers? I followed Terox's guide, I've got the keys all set up, I've uploaded some mission PBO's off armaholic, I'll be buggered if I can figure out how to get the pbos off the steam workshop however.

My server is relatively small with only 12 slots available which is about twice as many as i need, I'm really going to be using it for heavy loaded Zeus mission and custom role play campaigns, I'm not going to be running invade in annex or patrol missions.

Is there a way I can log into admin automatically when i log into the server. I don't mind the old #login xyz thing but if there is a simpler way that would be awesome.

Also my crew will be running Play with six, but as everyone knows it is clunky as all hell. I personally love Arma3Sync but having to get people to individually download each mod then set it up through arma sync really takes too long.

Is there anyway I can set up Arma3 Sync to automatically download my servers mods, and keep them updated in one pack or is that pretty much exclusive to play with six?

Thank you so much for your help once again guys.

The group I run with use a program called Bittorrent Sync to handle our mods. One person has the master copy of all the files and everyone else mirrors him. Like with everything else, there are issues that need to be figured out, but I find it really convenient for uploading large numbers of files to 20+ people without having to do anything but change the contents of a folder.

AIATP Lite is basically the same thing but with lower quality textures. You shouldn't really run into issues with it.

As for uploading, if your server provider has an FTP address, don't bother with uploading 1gb zip files via their web interface. Download an FTP client like Filezilla, search for a tutorial and upload everything in one shot (and probably 2x the speed).

A lot of very nice people have compiled pretty much everything you could ever need to know about running servers into the biki. Just start from here and poke around if you haven't already. Link

EDIT: Oh, and I think you can find the missions you get off the Workshop by looking in My Documents > Arma 3 > Multiplayer. (I'm quoting this from memory so you might have to do a bit of searching to find exactly what I mean.)

Thanks so much mate for your help, you must have saved me 10 hours I think not to mention all the time zipping up and dealing with this BS web interface.

I've downloaded Filezilla it all seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks again.

The way that armasync works, (which is my preferred option for hosting mods) is

You run it on the server and create a repo, basically a folder with all the addons you want to run organised how you want it.

For example our repo, in a simplified format has the following mod folders, which all our 3rd party addons are placed in

Just because an addon comes in a mod folder doesnt mean you have to run it in that mod folder

For example, all our islands, AiA etc all go into our islands folder

@task_force_radio\

@ZAlive\

@ZCBA_A3\

@ZClient\

@ZCommon\

@ZIslands\

@ZTest\

userconfig\

Once you have created your structure on the server, then run the sync tool and create a repo pointing to your "Master Mod folder" setup

Initially your clients then link to the repo and download the full content.

If you update your Master Mod folder, then when they update, they only update the changes on their client.

1 click does it all from their point of view and they have exactly the version and content you want them to have.

This makes for great stability.

Our addon pack is something like 13Gb now and the only support we offer is

a) The sync tool

b) Desktop shortcuts

this reduces the user support dramatically

Guys can you please give me a hand with my command line. As my server is refusing to start with my mods running.

the default command line given to me by Wombat Servers is: -ip=103.231.88.100 -port=2422 -noPause -noSound -cpuCount=4 -maxMem=2048 -exThreads=7 "-cfg=A3DS\basic.cfg" "-config=A3DS\server.cfg" "-profiles=A3DS\Profiles" -world=empty -mod=

Which works perfectly fine but it only runs the vanillia stuff.

the command line I'm using for my mods is:

-ip=103.231.88.100 -port=2422 -noPause -noSound -cpuCount=4 -maxMem=2048 -exThreads=7 "-cfg=A3DS\basic.cfg" "-config=A3DS\server.cfg" "-profiles=A3DS\Profiles" -world=empty -mod=@agm;@ares;@asdg_jr;@bornholm;@bpx_uts15;@caf_ag;@camofaces;@CBA_A3;@dar_maxxpro;@fhq_accessories;@hlcmods_ak;@hlcmods_core;@hlcmods_fal;@hlcmods_g3;@hlcmods_jsrs;@hlcmods_m14;@hlcmods_m60e4;@hlc_ar15;@hlc_wp_mp5;@mcc_sandbox_a3;@mocap;@POMI_PMC;@rh_pistol_a3;@rksl_attachments;@sma;@spec4_gear;@STI_Launchers;@task_force_radio;@trixie_recon;@tryk;@uns_patches

Please not there are no space between the ; and @ of the mods. I originally had spaces between the mods but read that no tutorials had spaces. But it still doesn't seem to make a difference.

The last mod in the list (uns_patches) also doesn't have a ; but i have tried it with a ;

All the mods were uploaded last night via filezilla over the ftp server. I had AGM, Ares, CBA and MCC working fine yesterday. But today when I started putting more mods on the server won't load. It won't show up in the multiplayer search and it wont launch in my servers interface.

I've tried launching just one mod and the whole lot and it still won't work.

Is there something in the config file?

I uploaded the folders directly off my PC all folders include all the readmes and all additional files that came with them.

I've put all their keys in the keys folder.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or should I be contacting my server provider?

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

Here guys to make things simpler perhaps I made a video documenting what I'm doing and what is going wrong.

The Command Line I'm trying to launch is the same as the one posted above

http://youtu.be/_6xkPnCv4g0

There is a space between these mods according to your post.

@POMI_PMC; @rh_pistol_a

Use a logical process.

Start with the few mods you know that work

then either add 1 at a time and test or add a small batch at a time and tets and figure out from there which one is causing the issue

if that fails, prove all your HLC content for example and then throw them all into an @HLC folder to reduce the length of the command line (There may be a lit to the length)

throw all the HLC content into an @HLC folder

Do the same with all your islands, throw them into an @Islands folder

throw all your islands in an @Islands folder

keep agm, task force radio and cba in their own mod folders

especially Task force as when last tested it needs to be in that exactly named folder

you can throw the rest in some @Common mod folder

make sure every addon that requires it has its userconfig folder

that's what I thought about running just one or two mods, but even now when I try to run just a couple of mods it won't load.

I had already moved the space but cheers for the eagle eye.

when consolidating the HLC weapons do i need to move the .synqinfo files?

Edited by ShakyBones11

Try moving @CBA_A3 to the start of the modline. I believe the .synqinfo files aren't critical to the server, since you aren't running PWS on it. Follow Terox's instructions and add the mods back in one by one to the command line. You should pay attention to the mod dependencies when you do this, obviously.

Anyway, when in doubt, just look at the server's RPT.

Edited by Fatalcrash

syqinfo files are nothing to do with the game they are from a third party sync tool and not required

Boy guys, first of all thanks for all your advice and bloody hell I'm at my whits end getting this thing to work.

I've managed to get a commandline:

-ip=103.231.88.100 -port=2422 -noPause -noSound -cpuCount=4 -maxMem=2048 -exThreads=7 "-cfg=A3DS\basic.cfg" "-config=A3DS\server.cfg" "-profiles=A3DS\Profiles" -world=empty -mod=@bornholm;@tryk;@uns_patches;@CBA_A3;@mcc_sandbox_a3;@mocap;@caf_ag;@dar_maxxpro;@ares;@camofaces;

Working none of the other mods I can seem to get working.

Including AGM, HLC, SMA, and Taskforce Radio.

All in arma and RHS are still uploading to the server (yay Australian internet).

Honestly I think I can get by if the server isn't running the weapons, so long as the other members are running them everyone can see and hear the weapons.

But the biggest issue I'm having is not running AGM or TaskForce Radio as we all know they are big game changers.

And of course I am really concerned about what's going to happen once the Terrain Pack is uploaded (after a 17 hours upload) and RHS (again another 17 hour upload) if they don't work then I don't know where to go.

At the very least CAF_Agressors is working. And we will see about LeightsOpFor once RHS has finished.

Terox I did what you said also and put all the HLC weapons in one pack @HLC\Addons\XXX.pbo and they all failed to launch, frustrated I couldn't be bothered unpacking them back to their own folders once again.

TLDR:

I've drastically reduced the command line

Originally Uploaded Playwithsix sourced mods, those that didn't work were deleted and fresh Armaholic sourced mods were uploaded but still made no difference.

*Edit* Please note there are no spaces in the above command line for some reason the forums are adding in the space at the end of Cammofaces.

Edited by ShakyBones11

That's odd. I don't have enough info but you'll have to do a little troubleshooting. Let's use AGM as a base to work from, since it's one of the more important mods. First off, shorten your command line to just @CBA_A3 and @AGM. Reupload AGM to make sure there aren't any issues with the files. If you can, disable keys in your cfg file so we can eliminate that as a problem. It might be easier to solve this if you can get a hold of your server's RPT. You'll be able to find it in the same folder as all the @mod folders.

Oh, and just leave all the HLC weapons in the same pack. There's really not much reason not to.

EDIT

From your video, it looks like your server is just crashing at startup. If you can post the RPT somewhere for us to look at it would be a lot easier to pinpoint the problem.

Edited by Fatalcrash

So I threw in the towl with the whole lot and reinstalled the server.

Wiped everything I did and started a fresh. I'm only going to upload and try and run the mods I know the server needs. Like AGM, TaskForce, RHS, All In Arma Terrain, CBA, Leights Opfor and CAF Agressors.

I don't think not uploading the guns is going to be such a big deal. Since everyone will be using PWS to download the mod collection and be running the guns on their own pc. Please let me know if that is a problem.

I will be installing those mods one by one and launching the server one by one and I'll see if there are any issues this time around.

In regards to the RPT I'm sorry for my ignorance but what exactly am I looking for? a file .rpt or what exactly?

---------- Post added at 09:11 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

EDIT

No sooner had I done that, that I have realised that it has done nothing. The Server is still crashing when i try and launch TaskForce Radio or AGM,

It runs fine with CBA and MCC4

In regards to the RPT I'm sorry for my ignorance but what exactly am I looking for? a file .rpt or what exactly?

Make sure -nologs is not in your command line, then look for a arma3server_dateandtime.rpt file in the arma 3 directory of your server.

Hey guys how do I install TaskForce Radio on the server?

When I download the files from Playwitsix the Userconfig folder is inside the Task_Force_Radio folder. But when I download directly off the web site, the userconfig folder is separate from the Task_Force_Radio folder.

So do I put the userconfig folder inside the TFR folder or just in the general Arma 3 directory?