jakerod

The Atlas: Guide to ArmA 3 Terrain Making

Hi everyone,

What a very good initiative to write this Atlas guide! I'm French and i try to follow this, step by step. The fact is I don't want to reproduce a sample terrain but really create mine!

So! I roughly understand what the steps could be: create folders, DefaultMapFrame and so on. I guess, data like rvmat, paa are standard for Arma3. I'm right?

And then, probably also layers.cfg (with my own project path indeed) and the "old" maplegend.png.

What you could explain is how to create our own heitghmap.asc. I guess it's coming from L3DT or equivalent softs. Some tuto refers to XYZ format heigthmap...

Then, probably more complex, you don't say how to obtain a mask_ico.bmp and I have no idea with that! Beautiful colors but how?

What I did I exported/imported a bmp image of Google Earth as satellite image. But it was impossible to generate layers with "export satellite texture" box checked.

So many questions for today. I'm not at Bulldozer level.

Thanks for your help.

Pierre

Hey Thanks for all of this.

But i have a problem when i want to create the Object Layer i become an error message when i want to import the plants.txt all others layers works but this not.

The error message: Dialog - TXTImport - Wrong file format or source template not found. Operation will now quit.

Pls help me :/

This means something in the import file is wrong. The object name need to be the exact same as it is in TB. It is CaSe SenSiTiVe! Also, no path or .p3d extension. Check that all the plants you are trying to add is in your template library in TB. You can try to export some manually placed objects to view how it should look.

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Hi everyone,

What a very good initiative to write this Atlas guide! I'm French and i try to follow this, step by step. The fact is I don't want to reproduce a sample terrain but really create mine!

So! I roughly understand what the steps could be: create folders, DefaultMapFrame and so on. I guess, data like rvmat, paa are standard for Arma3. I'm right?

And then, probably also layers.cfg (with my own project path indeed) and the "old" maplegend.png.

What you could explain is how to create our own heitghmap.asc. I guess it's coming from L3DT or equivalent softs. Some tuto refers to XYZ format heigthmap...

Then, probably more complex, you don't say how to obtain a mask_ico.bmp and I have no idea with that! Beautiful colors but how?

What I did I exported/imported a bmp image of Google Earth as satellite image. But it was impossible to generate layers with "export satellite texture" box checked.

Thanks for your help.

Pierre

The heightmap in ASC format comes from L3DT yes or similar software. You can import a grayscale bitmap and make it the correct height and so on in L3DT.

The mask is manually painted to match where you want what type of ground texture. It could be sampled from real life topography maps or similar to make your life easier.

If you fail to generate layers check your settings for tile size etc.

Today my rpt file had a different contents:

=====================================================================

== P:\buldozer.exe

== P:\buldozer.exe -buldozer -name=Buldozer -window -exThreads=0 -disableSteam -noAsserts -cfg=p:\buldozer.cfg -showScriptErrors -connect=pipe\26081E,8EDB

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_DX11

Exe timestamp: 2015/01/19 18:37:25

Current time: 2015/02/13 13:42:40

Type: Public

Branch: Stable

Version: 1.38.128937

Allocator: Windows

13:42:40 ManagerConfig()

13:42:40 Initializing Steam Manager

13:42:40 ManagerConfig()

13:42:40 unable to load cached items meta info. save and update functionality will be broken

13:42:40 Steam Manager initialized.

13:42:40

13:42:40 ==== Loaded addons ====

13:42:40 D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\bin.pbo - unknown

13:42:40 D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\core.pbo - 72362

13:42:40 D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\languagecore_f.pbo - 78060

13:42:40 =======================

13:42:40 ============================================================================================= List of mods ===============================================================================================

13:42:40 modsReadOnly = false

13:42:40 safeModsActivated = false

13:42:40 customMods = false

13:42:40 hash = 'FAB37C2D89CDF9B046E12991D397DBD376D5E0E1'

13:42:40 name | modDir | default | origin | hash | fullPath

13:42:40 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13:42:40 arma 3 | A3 | true | REGISTRY | a7d8115be5ee6708b69a339f0feb104ae75a610e | D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3

13:42:40 dlcbundle | dlcbundle | true | NOT FOUND | |

13:42:40 heli | heli | true | NOT FOUND | |

13:42:40 kart | kart | true | NOT FOUND | |

13:42:40 curator | curator | true | NOT FOUND | |

13:42:40 ==========================================================================================================================================================================================================

13:42:40 DX11 - Initializing DX11 engine.

13:42:40 DX11 - Detecting best GPU adapter.

13:42:42 DX11 - Detected best GPU adapter 0 : "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670", benchmark result = 67.2503, level coef = 1, total result = 67.2503

13:42:42 DX11 - Using DXGI adapter 0.

13:42:42 - adapter description : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

13:42:42 - adapter vendor ID : 4318

13:42:42 - adapter device ID : 4489

13:42:42 - adapter subsys ID : 675419234

13:42:42 - adapter revision : 161

13:42:42 - dedicated video memory : 2087387136

13:42:42 - dedicated system memory : 0

13:42:42 - shared system memory : 2147807232

13:42:42 InitSound ...

13:42:42 Error: CoInitilizeEx (XAudio2-1st trial) return 80010106

13:42:42 InitSound - complete

I only go after the tutorial.pdf on page 16 and this error happens.

Edit fixed it

Edited by Frostie12345

The error message: Dialog - TXTImport - Wrong file format or source template not found. Operation will now quit.

Imported the wrong file, now i imported the right file

I also fixed my buldozer flash screen problem, i reinstalled arma3tools and this time i didnt install arma3p or futura and now buldozer works again and i guess i have to move everything manually.

That should go correctly.

I generally export things from L3DT to Terrain Builder. I normally use the .asc format though because .xyz takes longer to load. Significantly longer.

This I normally make in Photoshop. You can also export your shapes as a mask though from TB. I used that and photoshop to make the one with The Atlas.

Thanks for your help.

Pierre

You need to make sure that things match up correctly too. It's possible your bmp is the wrong bit depth but off the top of my head I don't know the right one. Maybe try saving it as a few different ones and testing. What error do you get when you try this?

Thank you for these info. In fact, I begin to learn L3TD for the basic operations. I discover how to edit salt water area, tropical area ans so on. I regret the lack of explanation to convert all of this in terrain builder. Each time I want to use TB , even for basic heightfield map TB becomes so slow I can drink a liter of coffee. I must have some trouble with my config W8.1 on i5 3.2MHz & GeForce GTX 970. Not sure all is optimized for a so slow operation without any 3D rendering. If I shift on Buldozer it's worse and good chance to find the map (5km long!). So, keep positive, the improvement of the week is a better knowledge of L3DT and then the different files for a map.

Next week (if any help) will be for making TB a little bit quicker. At this moment, the windows 8.1 task manager is so busy, i'm waiting for 10 minutes to have a TB response (with no other opened soft but internet!)

Make sure you are using .asc files for your heightap. .xyz take a long time to load. The same goes for png in terms of imagery and surface mask.

Hey Jakerod it would be if u make a tutorial how to make a real sat map from a real part of our world an and a hightmap of this too. I searching a few days for this but dont find anything :(

Hey Jakerod it would be if u make a tutorial how to make a real sat map from a real part of our world an and a hightmap of this too. I searching a few days for this but dont find anything :(

This post will probably be able to help you: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188214-Question-about-Min-and-Max-values-of-height-map&p=2869561&viewfull=1#post2869561

If you don't have Global Mapper then you are out of luck when it comes to getting help from me. That program is the only one I use for things like that. I normally download it using a program called Terra Incognita and then use Global Mapper to cut it up the way that tutorial says to. You can also use QGIS but I don't know how to use that one.

Yes Jakerod, it's an asc file until you recommended it. I succeeded in generating layers with "export satellite textures" (i change some parameters in samplers. Then I succeeded in creating a wrp file. I followed the French tuto : http://www.clan-fsf.fr/wiki/index.php/Tester_l%27%C3%8Ele_dans_ARMA_3 to test the map in Arma3. I'm not sure you read French but roughly, I created all folders source & data and mod.cpp . Arma3 addon is created (pbo with add-on builder), located in addons folder, enabled in Arma3 but... no other map than Altis & Stratis and no error in rpt file, just the lines to say my addon is enabled. Did I missed something? Thank you

Yes Jakerod, it's an asc file until you recommended it. I succeeded in generating layers with "export satellite textures" (i change some parameters in samplers. Then I succeeded in creating a wrp file. I followed the French tuto : http://www.clan-fsf.fr/wiki/index.php/Tester_l%27%C3%8Ele_dans_ARMA_3 to test the map in Arma3. I'm not sure you read French but roughly, I created all folders source & data and mod.cpp . Arma3 addon is created (pbo with add-on builder), located in addons folder, enabled in Arma3 but... no other map than Altis & Stratis and no error in rpt file, just the lines to say my addon is enabled. Did I missed something? Thank you

You can use the config files from the Atlas Guide to make your config. All you have to do is change yourtag_yourpoject parameters in each one and it should work for you. Also, I wouldn't use add-on builder but pboProject by Mikero which I mention in the tutorial.

Hello Jalerod,

For sure, I've all this in config , taking care for all pathes. With addon builder, it's successful but nothing appear in editor when the map is enabled in Arma expansions.

With PboProject, First, it was impossible to binarize .wrp, then it's seem OK but I get an error msg check ouput for missing files ans i've nothing in my addon folder (just an empty sub-directory "addons" in fact). wrp seems to pass but there is no file pbo or else at all.

Binlog is too long to be copied here! Don't know how to show it to you

Hello Jalerod,

For sure, I've all this in config , taking care for all pathes. With addon builder, it's successful but nothing appear in editor when the map is enabled in Arma expansions.

With PboProject, First, it was impossible to binarize .wrp, then it's seem OK but I get an error msg check ouput for missing files ans i've nothing in my addon folder (just an empty sub-directory "addons" in fact). wrp seems to pass but there is no file pbo or else at all.

Binlog is too long to be copied here! Don't know how to show it to you

There's a website called Pastebin. You can paste it there and post the link here. Paste your config there as well and post the link.

Can you post the config file too?

Why is it looking here?

Cannot load material file c:\users\utilis~1\appdata\local\temp\data\layers\p_008-004_l03.rvmat

That isn't good.

Yes of course,

here: http://pastebin.com/Umy3hdRk

Another thing I've a similar error message (on a p000-000_l03.rvmat) as you pointed, when I launch buldozer in Terrain Builder. I tab/ok to close this msg.

I don't understand why the program is trying to pick some data up in a temporary file!

My map is 20480x20480 or more exactly here is what is accepted in TB for the defaultMalFrame_1 properties:

Griz size 2048x2048 cell size 10 terrain size 20480

sat source image 20480

resolution 1.0

sat tiles 2048 overlap 16 Texture layer 10x10

I attempt to build a large map 20480x20480 because Bora Bora is roughly 15km x 15 km. but at this time i've just covered a small part of sea shore as test prior to spend very long time to build image with tiles.

I have no road, no object and very poor layers, just to validate the process.

Thank you

worldName = "\MGI\MGI_BoraBora\source\MGI_BoraBora.wrp";

That isn't good. You want the wrp to be in your MGI_BoraBora folder so P:\MGI\MGI_BoraBora\MGI_BoraBora.wrp is where it should be and the config should say:

worldName = "\MGI\MGI_BoraBora\MGI_BoraBora.wrp";

Also I don't think you need that line about #include environment_stratis.hpp or something like that. Not sure what that does but I haven't seen it before. I don't know if both of those things will fix it but they might.

I've done these 2 corrections. Nothing more appends . Do you have any idea for my error msg in terrain builder > buldozer opening? Windows seems to come from... Arma2. I don't have Arma2, just a little folder with a buldozer.cfg and a Pierre.ArmA2OAProfile ?? error refers to a missing/non found rvmat file in temp folder.

buldozer cfg : http://pastebin.com/aJDpFTGy

Pierre.ArmA2OAProfile : http://pastebin.com/cnBnP1n1

Thanks

I've done these 2 corrections. Nothing more appends . Do you have any idea for my error msg in terrain builder > buldozer opening? Windows seems to come from... Arma2. I don't have Arma2, just a little folder with a buldozer.cfg and a Pierre.ArmA2OAProfile ?? error refers to a missing/non found rvmat file in temp folder.

buldozer cfg : http://pastebin.com/aJDpFTGy

Pierre.ArmA2OAProfile : http://pastebin.com/cnBnP1n1

Thanks

Have you tried running ArmA3P?

I discover Arma3P. Made all steps for Mikero tools. launched Arma3P cmd (nov.2014) as a talisman. Then, everything went well until "installing Buldozer and it's dll files" access denied. failed"

And then, if I try to launch buldozer via T.B. it fails of course (see below). Before, Buldozer (from Arma3 tools) worked poorly but was able to open a project even if rvmat problem. Now, I don't have any more working buldozer. Perhaps, i should try to upload a new version but where? (and how install it? ). I would like to keep a coherent Arma3 tools because i'm working for addons. If you have an idea of what to do with P:\buldozer.exe and other files in P:\ directory...

"New Buldozer" .rpt:

== P:\Buldozer.exe

== P:\Buldozer.exe -buldozer -name=Buldozer -window -exThreads=0 -disableSteam -noAsserts -cfg=p:\buldozer.cfg -showScriptErrors -connect=pipe\3705C0,8EDB

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_DX11

Exe timestamp: 2014/11/04 14:08:33

Current time: 2015/02/19 08:34:24

Type: Public

Branch: Stable

Version: 1.34.128075

Allocator: Windows

8:34:24 ManagerConfig()

8:34:24 ragdollHitDmgLimit (0.000000) is lower than minimum (0.010000) and it was set to min.

8:34:24 Initializing Steam Manager

8:34:24 ManagerConfig()

8:34:24 Steam Manager initialized.

8:34:24

8:34:24 ==== Loaded addons ====

8:34:24 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\bin.pbo - unknown

8:34:24 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\core.pbo - 72362

8:34:24 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\languagecore_f.pbo - 78060

8:34:24 =======================

8:34:24 DX11 - Initializing DX11 engine.

8:34:24 DX11 - Using DXGI adapter 0 (detected in config).

8:34:24 DX11 - Using DXGI adapter 0.

8:34:24 - adapter description : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

8:34:24 - adapter vendor ID : 4318

8:34:24 - adapter device ID : 5058

8:34:24 - adapter subsys ID : 828380258

8:34:24 - adapter revision : 161

8:34:24 - dedicated video memory : 3221225472

8:34:24 - dedicated system memory : 0

8:34:24 - shared system memory : 1073676288

8:34:24 InitSound ...

8:34:24 Error: CoInitilizeEx (XAudio2-1st trial) return 80010106

8:34:24 InitSound - complete

8:34:24 Error: 80004005 in D3DXCompileShader while compiling the PSSpecularAlpha shader

8:34:24 error X3501: 'PSSpecularAlpha': entrypoint not found

ErrorMessage: Error compiling shader PSSpecularAlpha

Then, everything went well until "installing Buldozer and it's dll files" access denied. failed"

Restart Steam then retry, if that fails restart your PC, it takes a few attempts but works everntully.