jakerod

The Atlas: Guide to ArmA 3 Terrain Making

When I want to claim one. I have to enter a Company and funktion and stuff. What should I do? o.O

When I want to claim one. I have to enter a Company and funktion and stuff. What should I do? o.O

I just filled in gibberish, well not really gibberish but it's not an existing company (yet). I clicked the submit button and now it's 'working'. I hate stuff that takes a long time without showing any sign of progress -.-

Okay, I'll just take my ARMA 3 Group xD

And as Funktion I'll take "Mod Development"

Okay, I'll just take my ARMA 3 Group xD

And as Funktion I'll take "Mod Development"

Sounds good. I just used all fake info except, email, I just used a throw away one I keep for crap like this.

Does anyone know why PBO Project throws an error when trying to pack, the error seems to be with my library sources used in Terrain Builder.

It says my files are not found or faulty, I know the path is correct, I verified the files through Steam and none have an error, i'm lost now :(

Screen shot of error http://i.imgur.com/Mjdw2G4.png

I thought i was so close to making my first terrain :( I know something had to go wrong.

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help.

Does anyone know why PBO Project throws an error when trying to pack, the error seems to be with my library sources used in Terrain Builder.

It says my files are not found or faulty, I know the path is correct, I verified the files through Steam and none have an error, i'm lost now :(

Screen shot of error http://i.imgur.com/Mjdw2G4.png

I thought i was so close to making my first terrain :( I knew something had to go wrong.

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help.

Anyone ? :confused:

Looks like there's something wrong with the p3ds in your A3 folder (or at least one in particular).

The first thing I'd try (if you haven't already) is to reinstall your P: drive using Arma3p. This should grab you new p3ds and might fix this.

A less satisfactory workaround is to remove the offending objects - but if you've as many ficus trees in your map as I have in mine, that's not really an option. :)

You may find more about what's wrong in the binlogs btw.

Edited by Major_Desync

Thanks for the help Major_Desync, I ran Arma3p and it failed, long story short it was my ArmA Tools that was corrupt, I wrongly presumed it was the ArmA game install at fault.

Now moving on, until my next issue :moto: which shouldn't be too long but i'll get there.

Great work Jakerod this really helped me and brought my map nearer to realization by many many steps.

If I could suggest one small improvement would it be possible to add a chapter of how to properly set up the Arma2 / AiA buildings and objects for use with Terrain Builder? Again, many thanks!

Great work Jakerod this really helped me and brought my map nearer to realization by many many steps.

If I could suggest one small improvement would it be possible to add a chapter of how to properly set up the Arma2 / AiA buildings and objects for use with Terrain Builder? Again, many thanks!

+1 from me, I have the JBAD buildings, not worked out how to use them yet, although i've not got that far yet either.

+1 from me, I have the JBAD buildings, not worked out how to use them yet, although i've not got that far yet either.

So it will work the same for jbad or any other mod you are trying to use when placing objects from it.

Here's what you do:

Unpack the mod and drop it in your p drive root.

Then add whatever buildings you want from the folders to the terrain builder template and Place said objects on your terrain. Add in your island config in the requiredaddons section the name of the mod. Then pack your terrain.

That's all there is to it. Just let people know that you require "said mod" to be download in order to run your terrain properly.

So it will work the same for jbad or any other mod you are trying to use when placing objects from it.

Here's what you do:

Unpack the mod and drop it in your p drive root.

Then add whatever buildings you want from the folders to the terrain builder template and Place said objects on your terrain. Add in your island config in the requiredaddons section the name of the mod. Then pack your terrain.

That's all there is to it. Just let people know that you require "said mod" to be download in order to run your terrain properly.

Is it not possible to include the buildings with the map ? so players don't need a seperate addon, like custom buildings that some terrain makers use.

You said you use the jbad buildings. So that is mine and smokedogs pbo. You can't redistrubute them for two reasons. One it is someone else's work and two is because its already out there as a downloadable mod. Just require people to download it and they will.

If you make your own buildings then use you can include those in your terrain package for people to download. But not someone else's mod

No actually if you are going to require aia or a3mp you want to actually extract the pbos from arma 2 which would be the ca folder. Those are the two exceptions. Aia and a3mp are just config files edit to get a2 to work in a3

Could anyone explain how to pack vanilla A2 objects in an A3 map without requiring AiA or A3MP? I think Egil did this for Bornholm, with his separate objects pbo (which I suppose I should unpack and nose around in).

Is it a matter of pbo-ing up the p3ds, including that pbo in the addon folder and having that as a required addon, or are there configs or other files (rvmats etc) that need to be packed too? (I'm not even sure that question made sense.)

My thought is to sprinkle in a few industrial objects from A2 that weren't reused in vanilla A3 - for example, oil wells and such - without having the entirety of AiA or similar as a requirement (unless it's by far the path of least resistance).

Could anyone explain how to pack vanilla A2 objects in an A3 map without requiring AiA or A3MP? I think Egil did this for Bornholm, with his separate objects pbo (which I suppose I should unpack and nose around in).

Is it a matter of pbo-ing up the p3ds, including that pbo in the addon folder and having that as a required addon, or are there configs or other files (rvmats etc) that need to be packed too? (I'm not even sure that question made sense.)

My thought is to sprinkle in a few industrial objects from A2 that weren't reused in vanilla A3 - for example, oil wells and such - without having the entirety of AiA or similar as a requirement (unless it's by far the path of least resistance).

Guys can we take future questions regarding this to a new thread as to not clutter jakerods terrain making tutorial thread.

But to answer your question if you want to use a2 objects in a3 you can either upgrade them yourself (which at this point is just reinventing the wheel since most of them are done by various people) or use a mod like cup which had upgraded many a2 assets to a3 standards. If you want to fly solo and do them yourself be prepared it's a lot of work.

Hey Jakerod,

First of all great guide, it made me start terrain building, only problem is that i have the same problem as the others.

Everything works fine, loading mask, sat, heigtmap. only when i come to the part of the guide that says connect to buldozer nothing happens.

I click the button and i see a screen flash and then nothing, no error, no window and the button is still pressed (i can disconnect from buldozer).

I dont know what to do, i have tried reinstalling and many other forum fix posts for buldozer nothing helps.

here is my rpt file from running buldozer. hopefully someone can help me.

=====================================================================

== P:\buldozer.exe

== P:\buldozer.exe -buldozer -window -exThreads=0 -mod= -noAsserts -nologs -profiles=P:\Buldozer -cfg=P:\Buldozer\Buldozer.cfg -name=Buldozer -connect=pipe\2A0912,8EDB

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_DX11

Exe timestamp: 2015/01/19 18:37:25

Current time: 2015/02/12 00:24:28

Type: Public

Branch: Stable

Version: 1.38.128937

Allocator: Windows

0:24:28 ManagerConfig()

Hey Jakerod,

First of all great guide, it made me start terrain building, only problem is that i have the same problem as the others.

Everything works fine, loading mask, sat, heigtmap. only when i come to the part of the guide that says connect to buldozer nothing happens.

I click the button and i see a screen flash and then nothing, no error, no window and the button is still pressed (i can disconnect from buldozer).

I dont know what to do, i have tried reinstalling and many other forum fix posts for buldozer nothing helps.

here is my rpt file from running buldozer. hopefully someone can help me.

== P:\buldozer.exe

== P:\buldozer.exe -buldozer -window -exThreads=0 -mod= -noAsserts -nologs -profiles=P:\Buldozer -cfg=P:\Buldozer\Buldozer.cfg -name=Buldozer -connect=pipe\2A0912,8EDB

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_DX11

Exe timestamp: 2015/01/19 18:37:25

Current time: 2015/02/12 00:24:28

Type: Public

Branch: Stable

Version: 1.38.128937

Allocator: Windows

0:24:28 ManagerConfig()

My best guess is you need to try running ArmA3P again. Buldozer is really crazy sometimes. For a while I was only able to connect 1/6 times I tried. If you still can't get it working post here again and I will see if I can find someone else who can help.

I do get an error when i launch buldozer.exe:

addon 'A3_Modules_F_Bootcamp' requires addon 'A3_UI_F_Curator'

maybe thats the problem, only no idea how to fix that

I think im just gonna put my terrain on hold and wait for a update to either the tools or mikero and hopefully then it fixes it and i will continue.

Anyway i have saved your amazing guide to a drive so i dont lose it and will let you know if the problem resolves some how.

I was having the "Buldozer may not work:Missing file(s): bin\config.bin" problem too when starting Terrain Builder.

I solved it by launching the "P: Drive (DevP)" tool from the Misc section of the "Arma 3 Tools" after having already launched ArmA3P.

It seems like ArmA3P is missing something when copying the Buldozer files required for it to work properly, but its just my guess as Mikero is like god on earth and never makes mistakes.

Lol that actually removed all the buldozer files from my p drive

I manually moved the arma3.exe and physx3 files to my p drive, but alas still same flash buldozer screen problem and no error message

But thanks for the suggestion hadnt tried that one before.

Edited by Ghost77788

Hey i probably becoming an error when i want to click on Generate Layers, i have the warning symbol there too. The Error message is Layers generation - Unable to Load the File P:\ndrn\ndrn_niederrhein\source\layers.cfg i cant fix this problem :/

edit: fixed by myself :P wrote wrong class in the layers.cfg :D

Edited by Frostie12345