Sign in to follow this  
Aeriyn

FPS Boost - Steam In-Game Streaming

Hi guys!

The recent update killed my FPS and has been spamming the server's RPT with physx errors, but while playing the other night, a friend requested to watch my game through the new steam streaming function. What followed was a nearly 10+ FPS boost :yay: for me once the stream started. I've been playing with my laptop streaming the game ever since and it seems quite reliable.

If you do decide to test this out, please do let me know if you do get the same effect. I'm pretty sure something's causing my FPS to drop and streaming turns it off - but I'm not sure what it might be. Hope at least some of you get some improved performance from this!

Some details:

Old i5 760 @2.8

8gb RAM

Playing with steam overlay on with steam chat running as well. (Can't be helped)

Dedicated server running Zeus with about 18 people connected, about 30 - 40 AI running around and dozens of objects.

Have you tested offline? If online only them somehow the streaming is opening the pipe is someway and increasing throughput.

Have you tested offline? If online only them somehow the streaming is opening the pipe is someway and increasing throughput.

Negative. I've seen more yellow chains and red chains during steam streaming sessions, or that could have just been the server. I find the steam stream useful for showing team mates what I've been doing in Arma. It's neat. Now only if they made a recording function with no FPS loss.

Hi, we've quickly tested this and we didn't see any change in FPS.

I'd have to say this is some sort of fluke. If anything streaming would have an adverse affect, not a positive one.

...Now only if they made a recording function with no FPS loss.

Yeah, good luck with that, if its recording to your HDD, its going to affect FPS and its taking CPU processing away from the game's process and into the recording...

I'll try to get a video up to show what I'm experiencing. So far me and that same friend have experienced the same phenomenon on his computer while streaming dying light.

---EDIT---

It's a bit raw because I was in a rush but you should be able to see what I mean. Edited by Fatalcrash