Sign in to follow this  
kocrachon

Enemies don't spot sniper?

Working on a mission right now and I am having an odd issue. I have a player who is a sniper in a gillie suit and a 50 cal sniper. He can rapidly shoot while standing on top of a hill, I assume 300 meters away, and the AI are not engaging him at all, they run around like they cant see him. Yet if I have a UAV 600 meters in the air, the AI spots it instantly and starts shooting at it.

Any idea what adjustments I may need ot make to get them to spot him easier?

Edited by Kocrachon

Sounds like the vanilla AI being rubbish.

I made an AI test where a group of enemy stand outside the big airbase on Stratis and I fire on them from one of the hills to the east. If you don't know the area, it's a fair distance gap and I wouldn't expect the AI to immediately see the player without being shot at first.

HOWEVER- the whole point of my test was to see what happens would you fire on them from long range with an MX (so not a loud lynx).... they just stand there mostly. If you shoot the ground right next to one, they do nothing. You have to nearly hit them in the foot for a shot into the ground to set them off. Furthermore, you can actually hit them sometimes (and see their flinch animation) and they STILL don't move off the spot!

When you do finally stir them into action, you will likely see the guy you hit and someone standing by his shoulder move- but NOT the other half of the squad who are a couple meters away. And what do they do when they are shot? Mill around and walk in circles mostly...

Even worse still, after all this AI stupidity and inaction, if they ever do spot you and fire back- prepare for aimbot! They go from being dumb as hell to being able to hit a pin-head at 600 meters.

So sorry for the ramble which wasn't exactly a direct answer to what you are asking- but it sums up my next answer: I think your problem is crappy AI, and thus there is nothing you can do about it... unless you decide to use an AI mod like BCombat. I did that same AI test with BCombat and the difference is dramatic. After shooting the ground a few meters away from the enemy unit- they hit the dirt! And not just the guy who was closest- the whole bunch of them. They then crawl and move around carefully to cover and sometimes spot me and return fire from cover or low positions.

I don't know if it will help your scenario or not- but I think it has a good chance it might.

who is a sniper in a gillie suit
the AI are not engaging him at all, they run around like they cant see him.

Isn't that the point of a sniper in a gillie suit, I'd say congrats for not being seen, sounds to me like bis finally made the gillie suits do what their supposed to.

I think your problem is crappy AI, and thus there is nothing you can do about it

Its by design. AI that cant see the player because of a working gillie suite.

Any idea what adjustments I may need ot make to get them to spot him easier?

You could either increase their spotting skill or reveal the sniper to them manually:

enemygroup/unit reveal [sniperdude,2]; // the accuracy value ranges from 0 to 4. The zero being totally oblivious.

Isn't that the point of a sniper in a gillie suit, I'd say congrats for not being seen, sounds to me like bis finally made the gillie suits do what their supposed to.

Its by design. AI that cant see the player because of a working gillie suite.

But the sniper will stand and the same issue persists, which seems a bit dumb. So I am hoping thats not the point.

He can rapidly shoot while standing on top of a hill

I think I misread your OP on this part so assuming the gillie suit works, hes standing and not prone. So for the sniper give him a waypoint with combat so he goes prone, or use a code to force him prone.

Other then that for the other AI to spot him suggest trying what Greenfist suggested as its a matter of spotting I would think.

I think I misread your OP on this part so assuming the gillie suit works, hes standing and not prone. So for the sniper give him a waypoint with combat so he goes prone, or use a code to force him prone.

Other then that for the other AI to spot him suggest trying what Greenfist suggested as its a matter of spotting I would think.

I think you are still miss reading..

A player/human is the sniper. My complain is that a Standing Person in a ghillie suit, shooting a .50 cal wildly is some how unnoticed by the AI. I know he is wearing a ghillie but that seems wildly unlike that the AI should be able to spot him. I want to force my players to be smarter, but if the AI is going to act so dumb, its hard.

@Kocrachon - can I ask you what's the criteria?

You mention you want the AI to spot the player sniper. Is it at a specified time or place? Or an event (like first shot fired by the player for example).

The more info you can give, the easier it is for someone to help (me included) :)

EDIT: (noted you want silliness to be punished by the AI)

EditII: If it is a case of alerting far away enemies, when a shot is fired for the first time, then add this to the player initline:

_id = player addEventHandler ["fired", {
{
	if (_x knowsAbout player < 4) exitWith {
		_x reveal [player,4];
	};
} forEach allGroups;
player removeEventHandler [
	"fired",
	player getVariable "revealed"
]
}];
player setVariable ["revealed",_id];

There's better ways of doing this but I'm just guessing here.

Edit III: Would also be good to know what side the enemy are as that snippet will reveal you to everyone (which you may not want).

Edited by Das Attorney

I still say the issue OP is having comes down to bad AI.

Solutions such as what Greenfist and Das Attorney said can help patch up these massive AI deficiencies. What they are basically saying is that the AI won't figure it out on it's own, but you can set triggers based on events (such as activating when a shot is fired- simulating that the AI heard the shot and located you) which can simulate the AI being responsive. If you want it to be a bit less responsive than your first shot giving away your exact location, maybe you can shoot to set it to an enemy being killed, which maybe could mean several shots were fired (unless you are just too lethal :) )

I still say you should try BCombat or another AI mod and see if that makes any improvement.

To repeat myself and make the same point again; i've tested BCombat VS Vanilla and found that you can go as far as actually hitting the AI long-range with a bullet and they still stay in place with the latter, but with the former they will react to shots hitting the ground some meters away from them.

@gunter

A sniper is not a camper guy !

he could have the best gillie suit of the world, he will never shoot twice from the same place.

However, imagine what would you do if you ear a bullet near your body ?

AIs don't move, it's a pity ...