Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

MulitMat on moving door?

Hi,

I'm making a large warehouse right now, and it will have a large sliding metal door on it with a simple animation.

The warehouse will use x4 1024*2048 textures and will be a Multimat- my question is should the textures for the doors be on one of those 4 or should the doors have their own single texture and material? What is more efficient?

Cheers guys

Are there any takers on this question please?

It's because I really want to make it as efficient as possible and I don't know if it'll have to load in all the associated textures with a Multimat on the doors if they're included or not?

Depends on what you think is easiest. When im doing high res detail ill split uvs up to get bigger, better texs. Only real downside will be your file size. But in decisions like that its really only what you prefer (or is easiest) to do

Each face can have its own rvmat (material) if you wanted. The rvmat will need that faces correct normal(nohq), specular(smdi), and ambient shadow(as) if you want to use an _as map (i usually simulate unless its fabric)

Defined rvmats can affect load performance, but i have yet to use one that did. Its a good rule of thumb to not use rvmats(only tex) on anything over your 3rd or 4th resolution view lod. This will save on performance as your object comes into view, plus at that range you cant see the small details from your rvmat tex maps(normals, spec,as,etc)

I hope ive understood you and was helpful :)

Hey, thanks man..!

So, it's ok if I use a single RVMultiMaterial on the main building itself (x4 1024*2048s), then use a single RVmaterial 1024*1024 on the animating doors?

Thanks for the extra knowledge about only using _CO.paa on the far away RESlods too- that is what you meant yes?

Yes as along as the seperate rvmats utilize their correct tex face UV(nohq,spec,etc). If that makes any sense haha

Lets take a simple gun. Simple barrel and stock. The whole gun is on the same uv (same tex, normal, spec, etc.)

I will apply a good "metal" rvmat (taking advantage of shinyness, and hard surface) on the barrel. Can also crank up specular values inside the rvmat to get a better silver shine to scratches, exposed lighter color metal. (Add the scratches or anything you want more silver reflecting into the green channel of your smdi. This way i can still have a nice black barrel with exposed silver scratches that look realistic

The stock would be a softer, less reflecting wood. So id apply a different rvmat to it. (Adding white into the blue channel of smdi would give me a nice glossy wood finish.)

Now if i add a scope with its own uv set, id use its maps in yhe scope rvmat. Now it coild have multiple rvmats as long as they use its uv set, say one for the scope tube, one for the tube glass, and one for the mount. Make sense?

And keep in mind, for every rvmat, it can have its own seperate nohq, smdi, as, etc. As long as the correct uv set is used

And yes the _co only you are correct :)

Im always around if you have questions or problems. Feel free to PM me anytime

Honestly tho. If you plan on making a lot of building I would stick to using multmaterial files.

You'll get much more detail and better performance out of them rather then loading in individual material files

Aye man, I do indeed plan on sticking to Multimats (They are really easy to understand and make too!) but I still don't 100% know if the best method is to include the door texture with the 1 Multimat, or have it as a SEPARATE Tex/Mat?

When I export the Factory_Building.pbo will that .pbo have BOTH animating doors in it too?

Or will they be separate objects I have to "snap" to the door area later when putting my map together?

When I export the Factory_Building.pbo will that .pbo have BOTH animating doors in it too?

Or will they be separate objects I have to "snap" to the door area later when putting my map together?

Have you set up the doors as separate objects? Then they would need to be placed separately on the map. Snap points could be utilized in this case for easy and accurate placement. Snap points work in the terrain builder although can be a bit hard to use for small pieces and ovelapping objects but not in the in-game editor I think.

Now someone correct me if Im wrong but what I've understood of the .pbo structure is that it packs up everything under the folder where you have the config.cpp. So if you have the .cpp in folder called factory_building\ and have building.p3d and left_door.p3d and right_door.p3d in there and have set up classes for them in the .cpp they would be packed in a single .pbo and would show up in game if placed on the map (or in the mission editor if classes have scope=2/public).

Cheers for your input mate, really appreciated.

I'm asking only to find out about saving "sections" count and texture space really. If it's possible for me to include the door textures with the building textures, and I can export them all from the same file (Possible, both doors on front of building entrance?) then this will be better than having to load in two separate doors with their textures too...

I suppose I'm asking if I can export all together as a single placeable model with working doors in their correct place as opposed to three models with three sets of textures... sorry if my thinking is muddled on this one.

I haven't set them up yet no, I'm waiting on a solid answer really so I can then use that method for this and future structures mate.

I would say all the parts work best when they're all pieces of the same p3d, saves you from the pain of trying to place them on their correct places and one building needs only one config class, animating it is easier etc etc, I don't really see any benefit from making them separately if you want to cut the section count. The doors can share the same texture as the building and that I understand would then bring the section count as low as it can go as the whole building then uses one set of textures. If it gives you enough detail then its the way to go.

Yea or make them in the same model initially then send the parts to proxy when your done the model