Johny

Arma 3 Server monetization

We've invested hundreds of hours over months and months in our terrain, we don't do it for monetary gain, we do it for the challenge and love of the Arma series, once finished the terrain will be released for all to play and for free, I work full time and that pays my bills, terrain building is something i do for fun.

The money needed for software licences we paid out of our own pocket, around £100 give or take (Mikeros tools, L3DT pro, extra Dropbox space etc), no doubt other fees will be needed in the future but that's fine, we never expected or want to profit from it.

So modders do not need donations, it's an added bonus to recieve some and we're definitely not alone in working for free and fun, for the benefit of the community :)

Beautifully put, Richie :)

• Like 1

Really really bad monetization rules.
Our perks are not pay to win but whatever, bi doesn't want to hear anything.
They probably dont know how much work it takes to run a server.

After 1 year and a half of providing quality content to the french altis life community they asked us to remove our negligible
perks.

This makes us very sad to know that we are not on the same side :(

After 1 year and a half of providing quality content to the french altis life community they asked us to remove our negligible

perks.

can you link to that quality content of yours?

• Like 1

Clearly you were selling items or perks that gave an unfair advantage to them with cash.

Cosmetic perks are allowed once you get approved.

So what was it you were doing that you disagree with ?

ordinary "Life-Server" - what else to say?

These are notoriously expensive to run. Do you have any idea how much money it takes to rip off terabytes of other peoples work, rent a cheap server box in Iceland, then get angry prepubescent Texans to 'roleplay' as policemen? All the time, avoiding income tax. Shit like this is not cheap.

• Like 5

perks.

Glad bis are not on the same side.

I'm sure it makes bis sad that after they opted not to go the route of other shitty greedy games publicists. a handful of its gamers have. Bis gave the freedoms and tools to mod without charging more money "for all their extra work this creates ". specially dumb shit extra work like having to monitor servers like yours.

You have a handful of players taking other peoples work without permission and the soul purpose of that being to milk money from gamers. mirroring the very same tactics as the above mentioned shitty greedy games publicists.

The only problem here is a tale as old as time. And that's greed. Not bis monetary rules.

• Like 1

perks.

Hi. Conditions are the same for everybody, many servers had no problem complying before, it is just a matter of accepting you have to comply with the rules, communicate with us and something suitable for you and still within the rules will emerge, I am sure. Communities can get quite creative in this regard.

Announcement: Arma 3 Server Monetization has been prolonged until 31st January 2017. The conditions do not change, we continue as before. We simply extend the validity for one year. Those who applied or were approved do not need to apply again. As always, if in doubt, check the rules here http://www.bistudio.com/monetization as well as important FAQ here http://www.bistudio.com/monetization/faq

• Like 3

Question,  is BI still accepting new communities to the "authorized" list?  How long does it tend to take for approval and what criteria do you guys look at to evaluate when deciding if you will accept a community or not?

Question,  is BI still accepting new communities to the "authorized" list?  How long does it tend to take for approval and what criteria do you guys look at to evaluate when deciding if you will accept a community or not?

Hi. Yes, we are still accepting any community which complies with the rules. Presently, we are dealing with an increased number of requests, so the process time is now around 1 week. It also depends what state the application is in - if your monetization plan and the perks/rewards you offer are compliant with the rules, we can approve you right away. Most often however we need to talk to the communities and they need to remove some unauthorized perks (like increased paychecks, weapon discounts and other gameplay-affecting rewards) before we can approve them.

• Like 2

Hi. Yes, we are still accepting any community which complies with the rules. Presently, we are dealing with an increased number of requests, so the process time is now around 1 week. It also depends what state the application is in - if your monetization plan and the perks/rewards you offer are compliant with the rules, we can approve you right away. Most often however we need to talk to the communities and they need to remove some unauthorized perks (like increased paychecks, weapon discounts and other gameplay-affecting rewards) before we can approve them.

Well this is funny ... I reported many servers which either deal with the forbidden stuff in the background, or change the system right after approvement ... From the german community server's I would say nearly 40-50% of the server who still have got a high amount of servers, they offer things like that. Increaded paychecks, cheap weapons ... well everything listed which should not be allowed.

The system is good, I like that Idea, that is why we reacted on the request to join the list. But I have to say, that you do not have got the server's under control.

Koth server's - all good. Had no server who might be doing anything wrong, they marked their servers, as monteized and the prices are fair, due to the fact that they need to pay server rents ...

Other games modes, well on tactic servers, or any other gamemods, its often fine. Exile, Epoch etc too.

Well then there is Altis life, where Tonic itself had the idea of the donator shop. He quickly realized, that the Idea was not the best, as other people were making alot of money from his work. So he killed the support for it.

You can go down this list: - https://www.gametracker.com/search/arma3/DE/- and check every server again ... and you will see that some again break the rules, but are listed as allowed servers.

Not everybody does that, but there a many little servers, with just up to 80 slots and 30 people online, who need the money, to pay rents, but still - they break the rules. My server had to shutdown the system and is not getting enough money to pay the rents every month, which makes me sad.

So to put it into a nutshell, the system is good, and it is nice to hear, that many servers apply for the system. But maybe you have to check the servers homepages some time again, or go onto the server and have a look ... If you cant do things like that, maybe then react on reports people send the the legal department.

Oh and maybe explain the things that are allowed with a bit more details, many people do not know what is allowed and what not. There is alot of space with words like "cosmetic" - what I as server owner call cosmetic and you as legal department are 2 different things ... maybe make things more clear.

Maybe a bit more fine tuning on the system would be very effective. I do not know what the goal of the system should be, for you as BI but if people abuse it, I cann't be a good thing for you and other servers.

Regards Arkensor

• Like 1

I'm sorry to land here, but where should be reported all the servers with 'shops' to re-buy basic game content with real money?

I'm sorry to land here, but where should be reported all the servers with 'shops' to re-buy basic game content with real money?

I send emails to infringements@bistudio.com -> legal department

That should be the right adress

Regards Arkensor

Now for modders to continue modding they need donations and the bulk of their donations come from gaming communities.

Pozzer18

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me that people will pay me to do the modding I've been doing for the pure love of it?

• Like 1

You can use the Contact us button at http://www.bistudio.com/monetization, or the email Arkensor mentioned.

• Like 1

Well this is funny ... I reported many servers which either deal with the forbidden stuff in the background, or change the system right after approvement ... From the german community server's I would say nearly 40-50% of the server who still have got a high amount of servers, they offer things like that. Increaded paychecks, cheap weapons ... well everything listed which should not be allowed.

The system is good, I like that Idea, that is why we reacted on the request to join the list. But I have to say, that you do not have got the server's under control.

Koth server's - all good. Had no server who might be doing anything wrong, they marked their servers, as monteized and the prices are fair, due to the fact that they need to pay server rents ...

Other games modes, well on tactic servers, or any other gamemods, its often fine. Exile, Epoch etc too.

Well then there is Altis life, where Tonic itself had the idea of the donator shop. He quickly realized, that the Idea was not the best, as other people were making alot of money from his work. So he killed the support for it.

You can go down this list: - https://www.gametracker.com/search/arma3/DE/- and check every server again ... and you will see that some again break the rules, but are listed as allowed servers.

Not everybody does that, but there a many little servers, with just up to 80 slots and 30 people online, who need the money, to pay rents, but still - they break the rules. My server had to shutdown the system and is not getting enough money to pay the rents every month, which makes me sad.

So to put it into a nutshell, the system is good, and it is nice to hear, that many servers apply for the system. But maybe you have to check the servers homepages some time again, or go onto the server and have a look ... If you cant do things like that, maybe then react on reports people send the the legal department.

Oh and maybe explain the things that are allowed with a bit more details, many people do not know what is allowed and what not. There is alot of space with words like "cosmetic" - what I as server owner call cosmetic and you as legal department are 2 different things ... maybe make things more clear.

Maybe a bit more fine tuning on the system would be very effective. I do not know what the goal of the system should be, for you as BI but if people abuse it, I cann't be a good thing for you and other servers.

Regards Arkensor

Rest assured we are dealing with infringements on a daily basis, going through each community one by one and eventually getting back and checking the approved ones. We also rely on community reporting us servers which do not follow the rules. We believe our rules and FAQ explain the basics of server monetization quite clearly, and all the communities are free to apply for the server monetization approval. During the process, we address questions and needs of every applicant individually, so any issue which is still not clear is made clear during the process itself. And - of course - we react to all reports sent to us (unless you type in a wrong/misspelled email address in the form and we cannot reach you back - this sometimes happens).

The goal of the system is to create a healthier environment for the communities, players and content creators alike, and of course to make clear that Arma 3 may be monetized only under certain terms which aim at using authorized or own content only. We want to make sure communities are using a fair monetization system while using our game, and at the same time to make sure this monetization is not being abused - thus no pay-to-win (gameplay-affecting) perks/rewards are allowed (weapons, discounts, vehicles, etc.).

• Like 4

May I suggest you guys link the FAQ in the OP?

It answers a lot of questions modders may be asking themselves, wich aren't covered by the monetization rules.

• Like 1

May I suggest you guys link the FAQ in the OP?

It answers a lot of questions modders may be asking themselves, wich aren't covered by the monetization rules.

Good idea, done.

• Like 2

Game play affecting donator shop are not allowed, so are donator shops without approval or registrations. If you get something in return, it is a sale not a donation.

What is considered affecting the gameplay. For example, admins gives all donators a good camouflage. Gives cool black cowboy hat. While other players connot obtain those two items by any means playing on this server. So the item becomes unique to donator and thus... It's a restriction of access to content, right?

What if you can obtain only bright versions of this cmouflage ingame? So donators have

1) free spawned camouflage in their inventory + a cowboy hat

2) they are less visible with good camo pattern, it's not cosmetics. Using desert camo in the woods is a mistake and a huge disadvantage.

non donator are bound to

1) Search for those items

2) And if found, the item is more revealing and brighter in design.

So donators have the items that affects gameplay and gives them advantage or not?

Another big question!

If you plan to approve a foreign language community server, do you involve an experienced translator to investigate their resources for any violations?

Thanks in advance.

Hello zvukoper.

I will try to shed even more light on this. I strongly urge everybody to read our server monetization rules and FAQ first. A lot of questions is answered right there. We believe everybody can see the difference between buying prohibited gameplay-affecting rewards like weapons, equipment discounts, in-game currency, other types of boosts, etc., and permitted rewards such as skins, special textures, logos, reserved servers slots, server whitelisting, forum and teamspeak features and others. Of course, communities always get very creative and we always treat every request with a personal approach to fine-tune specific ideas of communities. We generally do not allow pay-to-win perks and features, whereas cosmetic and some convenience rewards are fine. Every community that wishes to monetize has to contact us via the form on the monetization page. We will discuss all the details with them.

The camouflage you talk about, if it was a reward that is significantly better than other clothing and allows a donator to hide better than a non-donator, it is considered gameplay-affecting and we cannot allow this. But if this camo was at the same level as any other, but only extra for donators, it would be ok (presuming that the camo for non-donators and donators hides players the same). A cool cowboy hat only for donators is fine. Cosmetic perks (textures, skins, items not affecting gameplay) can be available exclusively to donators. For example, we generally do not allow ghillies exclusively for donators, only if non-donators have access to at least a basic ghillie without paying anything.

I hope you can understand more clearly now.