Hi Folks,

Been privileged to see some of the inner workings of this mods development - it's turned into quite the team effort - Bravo Zulu - Cheese and Co - job well done... Very professional job on the wiki - RM - as well...

:thumb:

Regards,

Scott 

• Like 2

@mad_cheese really nice to see that C2 has more content incoming. :)

I'd like to ask one thing if you don't mind. Please bear in mind that I'm not aware of how much of workarounds and "hacks" you have been forced to use to achieve the features of C2 nor do I know about the internals of the mod. What C2 does really well is to give you tools for commanding your AI. However, I feel that one major factor is not what the AI does when commanded but rather what it does when not directly commanded: how well does your AI squadies behave when you are not holding their hand. Very basic example: imagine you and your 4 best friends are having a blast kicking <you favorite opposition side here>'s ass. You are on the enemy territory and you have to take a pause to check the map. As you inform this to your friends they don't just stand still and stare at a random direction. They probably seek some kind of cover and arrange a lookout directions without you actually needing to tell them to explicitly do that.

Do you think that some day C2 could make the squad's AI a more 'intelligent' or is is totally out of the scope (either because it's so hard/impossible to implement or you just don't see C2 going there)?

Put them in danger mode with a direction to watch ^^^ Theres really no way for The AI to know it is in enemy territory on its own unless the mission has that factored that in.

Yes, I'm aware of the limitations of the AI. :) My question was more or less, if it would be possible (and if so, has mad_cheese thought about it) to code some kind of more intelligent behavior for the AI. 

I'm afraid there is a lot of low level BIS stuff that we cannot access. The AI are really quite dumb in lots of situations - don't get me started on driving !

Hey MC, first of all let me just say I LOVE your mod. I literally can't play arma without it. And every update it just gets more badass! Very few bugs for me and bugs I do notice are small. Great work!

Two things though, first I'll be honest I only skimmed this thread looking for an answer (lots of pages to look through) but I'm having a small issue. When I open planning mode from the map (pressing C) it opens up the UI but only the very top is visable on the bottom of the map. I'm sure it's just a resolution issue, but would you have any idea of how to fix it? Thanks!

Second, I'm sure you've gotten this before but I'd just like to make a request for later in the future. The ability to have AI flash bang or frag a room before entering would be so unbelievably awesome, if it's possible. Or like a method to have them stack up on a door in a hallway and choose how to clear it (old school Rainbow Six style). Anyway, just a thought!

Thanks again for your work! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys,

16 hours ago, ripppe said:

I feel that one major factor is not what the AI does when commanded but rather what it does when not directly commanded

I totally see your point and I would not rule it out to have some kind of fsm going on for stationary units. The idea of 'behaviour trees' appeals to me but at the moment there is still too much to work on in the area of manual commands. 

5 hours ago, x_DarkSpecter_x said:

When I open planning mode from the map (pressing C) it opens up the UI but only the very top is visable on the bottom of the map. I'm sure it's just a resolution issue, but would you have any idea of how to fix it? Thanks!

Unfortunately all my dialogs and displays are written in GUI_GRID format. If you set your "Interface SIze" to "small" in the graphics settings it should work,

The ability to have AI flash bang or frag a room before entering would be so unbelievably awesome, if it's possible. Or like a method to have them stack up on a door in a hallway and choose how to clear it (old school Rainbow Six style). Anyway, just a thought!

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to do that, but the engine has it's limitations with AI in buildings. The AI technically runs on rails called 'path lods'. Those lead from the entrances through out a few config-defined building positions. This makes stacking up inside buidlings almost impossible. One day I'm sure BIS will overhaul this system, I have seen people messing with UNREAL and it looked pretty neat with it's navigation meshes etc. If AI could perform well in buildings and around cover, it would definitely open up possibilties in A3. BIS has done most things I was hoping for over the years, one day! Unfortunately I can not use the uber awesome room clearing animations either - they depend on a specific buidling setup and the animation centers are way off.

Anyways, at some point I will revise the House clearing function. I am sure with a bit of thought, some sort of information about the building setup can be gathered. If I can clearly define rooms and paths and make some sort of sense out of them, I should be able to cook up something cool. 

• Like 5

The way it's described on the Armaholic download page, it sounds like this is client side? So you can use this even if no one else on the server has it?

Also does it interfere with ACE3 Interaction menu?

Hell I should just try this out when I get a chance :-P   it looks very promising.

1 hour ago, sputnik monroe said:

The way it's described on the Armaholic download page, it sounds like this is client side? So you can use this even if no one else on the server has it?

Also does it interfere with ACE3 Interaction menu?

Hell I should just try this out when I get a chance :-P   it looks very promising.

Yes it is run on the client. 

AFAIK it doesn't interfere with ACE3. 

It is THE best AI controller in the armaverse! 

• Like 2

In my experience, C2 has so much to offer anyone operating with AI. Features are modular too, so take what you need and leave the rest.

Best advice IMHO is load it and see for yourself :)

KITD FOHS

• Like 2

Here's a little WIP update. The HUD UI, in latest DEV-build, becomes controllable by using a hotkey when units are selected (Current Default: SHIFT - will probably change).

HUD and PLANNING modes, are fully interactive in the Beta. HUD mode has new access to Travel / Destination Stances, Speed and GoCodes. It also has the option to override or add to existing pans. Together, HUD ad PLANNING mode, alongside the STANDBY function, give you the full flexibility I was hoping for.

Radial menu unit selection is also changing. LMB on a unit selector will select it for the A3 world and the Radial. RMB will select them for HUD mode. SHIFT + RMB will open up the context menu, which currently only carriest the option to change the teamColor but could include many other options, now that we get closer to looking at some kind of 'unit interaction'.

Spoiler

The default keybinds for FW and BW peel will have to make room for this, just giving you the heads up. I will probably change them to something like:

FW PEEL: CTRL + W
BW PEEL: CTRL + S

You can join us on Discord to get access to newest Beta and discuss your ideas.

HWFATxz.jpg

https://discord.gg/cuW9fJC

If you want to keep track of how C2 is growing, you can peep our PATREON, it's pretty much a blog.

• Like 8

@mad_cheese

Keep up the good work buddy!

Just one thing, I'm using your "Bounding Box" function in this mod I created (it's more of a patch) and I was wondering if you're OK with it (I could write my own but I was too lazy!)

1 hour ago, Leopard20 said:

@mad_cheese

Keep up the good work buddy!

Just one thing, I'm using your "Bounding Box" function in this mod I created (it's more of a patch) and I was wondering if you're OK with it (I could write my own but I was too lazy!)

thx!

that's fine really, if you feel a threshold is reached shoot me a line of credit and that's it!

The function you are speaking of is itself based on KillzoneKid's work just so you know.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mad_cheese said:

HUD mode has new access to Travel / Destination Stances, Speed and GoCodes.

How did you know what i wanted for Christmas?

• Like 2

@mad_cheese I just wanted to give huge thanks to your efforts to add default go-code settings. It has made the process of detailed mission planning so much quicker.. it is now so quick in fact, that re-plans (when things go wrong, and they often do go wrong) can even be done on the fly, while under fire. 

There are so many new elements to this mod, too many to mention (even looking back a couple of weeks - so many beta releases!!) but I wanted to pick on this one in particular, as it made a massive improvement to my game play (and I'm sure anyone who uses goCodes would agree). (And if you're not using goCodes yet, I would strongly suggest you look into that :) )

Nice one!

• Like 2

Hey MC, thanks for your reply earlier, I set my interface to small it it fixed the problem. One other issue I wanted to bring up that I haven't seen in the thread is that when I use the command reticule for certain things (such as take cover) my AI will do the task, but then it will randomly start selecting my units (individual, some, all, then individual and so on) and many times they will not stop saying either "ready" or "negative" for the next like 5 minutes. All this makes it near impossible to get anything done while it's happening as the vanilla AI command menu will keep popping up. Any idea what could be causing it?

Also, are there any known mod conflicts for C2 such as bCombat or VCOM?  

Thank you!

1 hour ago, x_DarkSpecter_x said:

when I use the command reticule for certain things (such as take cover) my AI will do the task, but then it will randomly start selecting my units (individual, some, all, then individual and so on) and many times they will not stop saying either "ready" or "negative" for the next like 5 minutes. All this makes it near impossible to get anything done while it's happening as the vanilla AI command menu will keep popping up. Any idea what could be causing it?

Also, are there any known mod conflicts for C2 such as bCombat or VCOM?  

Thank you!

I don't know of any issues myself.

What you experience, the only thing I can imagine is that something slows down the overall performance causing my interfaces to get a bit laggy. I personally only had thtis kind of experience with hopelessly overloaded missions. The units saying 'negative' points to something not working, 'ready' is what they say when they arrive somewhereCan not be 'prevented', only switched off entirely.

• Like 1

That actually sounds about right, I make my own missions and they are a little content heavy so that's probably it. I'll try simplifying them a bit. Thanks!

Hey MadCheese

Not sure if anyone else is encountering this but Im having the following issues

1. When in at least a couple of vehicles ( havent tried all )from RHS: AFRF in Jokers Insurgency missions I cannot issue orders that the AI follow.

2. Also with Joker Insurgency missions when the AI go down when u heal them they have difficulty following orders from C2 but not normal Arma Controls. 

3. When playing Assault on Zargabad sometimes men in vehicles wont follow orders.

I may be doing something wrong as still very much learning C2. By the way I do love this mod. The features and controls of AI when I can get em all to work are 2nd to none

Hey @Rockapes

I can not say this with certainty as I have not tried the missions you refer to. General rule of thumb: If something happen only within a certain mission, then the mission is using scripts that prevent C2 from working properly. Unfortunately that's the way it is, mission makers and modders both use the same pot of commands and if the mission does something unexpected, the addon will have problems.

For example, I sometimes play Dynamic Recon Ops and Dynamic Combat Ops.

DRO is perfectly fine, but DCO has some weird stuff going on that creates a bunch of problems that I only experience in that mission. WLA was another mission I tested that had scripting mess with C2, even deleting all keybinds. I can not help this problem. I am not referring to the authors of the missions we mentioned, but I need to say that 90% of workshop missions are very poorly written, especially SP. That's not a diss, it's more about the format - most people would not invest the hundreds of hours into a mission that you play once (You mostly start a mission and 'count allunits' returns 140+., 5km south from the action, there's a herd of sheep. 3km west there's a whole platoon of AI occupying the base that was seen in the intro script. That kinda stuff). So what I'm saying is: Sometimes I can fix these problems, others times not. If a script tells your unit to do something or puts the units in states that prevent scriptcommands from being effective, there's nothing I can do  :s

Hey @mad_cheese

Thanks for the response. I figured it might be something weird like that. Im no scriptor myself but I was just like thinking "how does being in the car or tank me stop me giving orders or rather ai responding to them lol". I hope you keep working on this project because it is a fantastic bit of gear and makes my life so much easier planning with AI. I hope BIS sort out the map positioning of buildings cause thats bout the only floor. U position men where you think walls or buildings are based on map but turns out their 4 mtrs away lol...Im still learning hud mode eventually I will use that more. Thanks again