Sign in to follow this  
ajsarge

Are you complaining about Arma 3? You need to watch this video.

A: Watch the video below.

B: Either stop complaining, or take your constructive comments to the feedback tracker where they can get more attention from the devs.

It seems like 1/2 of the threads on the general chat forums are complaints about how this or that sucks, and needs changing, replacing, or adding. Only rarely, there are threads where the person actually thinks the problem through and offers solutions that take everything into account.

To end my complaining about complaining, here's four things I love about Arma 3 and why.

Stances and "Combat run": They create a more fluid game where you don't have to worry if you can hide behind cover and return fire without your head poking out like a sore thumb. "Combat Run" allows for much quicker reactions in CQC, allowing attackers to have a better chance against stationary defenders. Anything reasonable I could do while playing paintball in real life, I can expect to be able to do in Arma 3.

First Aid Kits: Before, your only option to heal in Arma 2 was a medic. And they healed you up to full health every time. If your medic got killed, you were SOL if you got shot. With FAKs, any person can maintain their injuries to a certain point and continue to fight/play the game, where medics still have a use in getting you fully healed without expending a FAK. It allows for gameplay between the two fickle extremes of "Eff'd" and "Perfectly OK". Anything that creates gameplay is more than welcome to me.

Advanced Flight Model: Bohemia gave this to EVERYONE for FREE. They brought forward work from Take On Helicopters and improved it before release. It allows those who take to time to master it an increased ability with helicopters that feeds back into the infantry focus of the game. In turn, it creates a bigger focus on something that was only a small part before. It cuts a fine line between the complexity of DCS, where every switch matters and it takes weeks or months to be combat-ready with a heli, and other games where if you're not actively telling your heli to move, it holds altitude and position like a rock. BI made the AFM available to everyone who is willing to put in only a minimal amount of time to learn. And? The old flight model is still there if you're not ready for the AFM but still want to enjoy that segment of gameplay.

Free Stuff: What have you had to pay for in Arma 3? A: The game itself at the usual price of about $60 US (unless bought during frequent sales). B: Nothing else. If you look at Battlefield or CoD, you have to spend near $100 to $120 if you want to have all the things. Arma 3 lets you play with all the people, using all the things, on all the maps, without having to buy any of the DLC. If you do decide to spend a few extra bucks to support continued development of the game, they let you drive go-karts that were never going to be in the game until someone on the forums said "This is cool, I would buy this.", they let you be the pilot of the two new helicopters (which you can still ride in and be the gunner for even if you don't own the DLC!), and the upcoming Marksman DLC will let you use a handful of weapons that you can probably still pick up off of dead bodies in missions. All the upgrades (Bipods! Weapon resting! Everything they're not telling us!) are going to cost you a grand total of F.R.E.E.

BI, you make a solid product, you support the ongoing development of new content and features after release, and you provide the tools for your customers to improve or change the game themselves. Some of the best parts now were once community addons. You provide constant updates on the status of the game, where it's headed, and you're sharing all the old content for us to learn and bring up to snuff while you concentrate on the new and improved bits, allowing for even more amazing community content. BI, I thank you for being awesome. Keep doing what you do. I look forward to what you've planned and haven't told us about the upcoming expansion and further DLCs. I'd bet they're going to be just as awesome as what you've already done.

Thanks to Dslyecxi for making this and to you for posting it. It won't help much against the teeth gnashing, fist waving, chicken little the sky is falling doomsayers, but it made me feel better.

Yes, cool video, nicely edited. If it was encoded at 60 fps would be even better.

Too bad that does not represent the real gameplay, looks like some parts of A3 official intro and some action made with editor using half dozen of AI with purpose of recording.

Too bad that does not represent the real gameplay, looks like some parts of A3 official intro and some action made with editor using half dozen of AI with purpose of recording.

Watched any other A3 videos by Dslyexci? You know, any of the 82 or so where other people are playing?

Thanks for posting and thanks to Dslyecxi for making it, just a shame he had to. I think I'll just go and put this vid in my signature now.

Although I understood with my poor English like 50%, I'm probably agree with 100%. :)

One thing, that possibly affects the voice of community shape: don't know, how the others, maybe that's just my own hallucination, but I'm, when talking/repeating about problems or lacks of the game, that bothers me, or about my dreams and wishes, although trying to be constructive, truly in doubt, if I should at all.

Is what I'm saying about the game reaching anyone, for who it can have any value/is useful anyhow, or I'm just wasting my time and Forums space talking to no one, that could do anything about or consider that? Is that valuable input at all, or maybe I'm talking obvious and well known things that no need to be repeating? Or I'm only tiring the busy devs with my own, useless opinions of one, who doesn't know a shit about the matters, he speaks of, and makes no sense, opinions flooded by the ocean of other such opinions? If BI actually want me/people here to report on BI Forums own views on things, is indifferent about that or just irritated due to "continously ranting mob"?

Why these frustrating doubts? Why I do not know all this? Because of the Silence. I would know all this and could adjust my activity basing on that knowledge, if someone from BI would actually was responding. It's most rare thing sadly. Not to every single opinion giver of course. But why not, let's say, to add an additional section to the cyclical BI's sitreps as cummulative response to the single most bothering the community, not answered yet topic at given moment? And gather all these answers in easily accessible FAQ. As a refference linking to that could effectively neutralize consequent ranting threads. And if not, then at least would be nice to know once for all what's general BI stance towards all hum, community is generating toward them. We would know then at least what actually they think about community wishes/rants/opinions in general - have they any use of it or it's just annoying noise titled "oh, well, just let those children in the mist to talk, if they necessarily must"?

Should I eg repeat third time my points regarding old-as-a-time-itself AI issues, because hard to be heard in such mass of everything, or first time was enough, it was noted and considered. Or should I just finally shut up and let them to work in peace on whatever they want? Or whatever, it's pointless anyway?

Should I even report any bugs on feedback tracker knowing, how enormous list of (in)valid issues to review awaits there already?

Also should I keep repeating, how great and unique Arma is to me, to let them know, or again no one is reading/cares about that? Or perhaps once is enough, and more is a not welcomed spam? "Thank you" threads are closed usually...

It's just... When I talk to someone, I would like to get any kind of response or be anyhow informed, it was noticed, or at least get an most vague hint, I should stop bothering him. Currently it feels just like talking to someone persistently silent about what I'm saying for completely unknown reason, so I don't know, how to proceed with that. It's discouraging in few ways. Is that how a dialogue between two persons should look like? Is that, what BI wish as for a dialogue between community and BI?

I don't know, maybe it has to be that way. There was exeptions, I can remember some, so maybe I just exaggerating here. Or missing something. Nevertheless that's how I personally feel about this matter.

If it was encoded at 60 fps would be even better.

Missed your point on this, so your saying the vid was lagging for you? Maybe your internet is slow, I have 12mbps and vid ran perfect and I had the 2160p option on.

Basically, and the point of the video if you listened to what he had to say was talking about the different aspects of the game that we did get, we do have and in

comparison to BF4 for prices as he had made an example. Why it matters anyways if there was anything to represent, he showed a bunch of things.

He was also talking about the performance impact when he showed the 125 man group he had there with all modded weapons he said he got FPS in the teens whereas

with BIS weapons already in the game he got 45+ fps over the teens, which tbh i never understood the polygon aspect of what he described can effect performance too,

i really had no idea of what would effect performance in a game in terms of mods, other then maybe problem with configs and considering Im a compiler of mods thats something

that would be important to me for releasing a compiled version as I have done in the past, last thing I'd want is everyone complaining that with the mod they get 20fps.

So obviously performance issues vary from one person's machine to another based on if one uses modded game, or not, and considering

the number of other factors in a mission be it alot of AI, cleanup, etc,.

Its funny how so many people complain about this game yet there really is no other game out there I know of that does what we can do in Arma, and im not comparing

and tbh I dont really care, i've played this game since the beginning because it has what i want, tons of content from BIS and community

and mainly 2 thing overall: an editor and FREEDOM!

A: Watch the video below.

B: Either stop complaining, or take your constructive comments to the feedback tracker where they can get more attention from the devs.

If I could manage to write such text in english - I would. But now I don't have to =). So I'll just say that I 'm putting my name to every word of it. Especially this:

"BI, you make a solid product, you support the ongoing development of new content and features after release, and you provide the tools for your customers to improve or change the game themselves. Some of the best parts now were once community addons. You provide constant updates on the status of the game, where it's headed, and you're sharing all the old content for us to learn and bring up to snuff while you concentrate on the new and improved bits, allowing for even more amazing community content. BI, I thank you for being awesome. Keep doing what you do. I look forward to what you've planned and haven't told us about the upcoming expansion and further DLCs. I'd bet they're going to be just as awesome as what you've already done."

Oh, its been reinstated. This video montage of sycophantic, patronising, misleading nonsense.

I would imagine its less than 0.5% that complain of the total ‘whole’ player community of Arma 3 (that isn’t just this community:rolleyes:), that would be everyone playing the game and there must be over a million players perhaps, maybe more.

The video, if its not aimed at his own group, is just misleading and patronising. If it is aimed at his own group, then why is it here, because it would be a group issue..

The vast majority play and enjoy the game, with the occasional rant, moan or complaint from the really small minority. This minority can sometimes raise issues regards the game (not always, but sometimes), that are pertinent.

Oh, its been reinstated. This video montage of sycophantic, patronising, misleading nonsense.

I would imagine its less than 0.5% that complain of the total ‘whole’ player community of Arma 3 (that isn’t just this community:rolleyes:), that would be everyone playing the game and there must be over a million players perhaps, maybe more.

The video, if its not aimed at his own group, is just misleading and patronising. If it is aimed at his own group, then why is it here, because it would be a group issue..

The vast majority play and enjoy the game, with the occasional rant, moan or complaint from the really small minority. This minority can sometimes raise issues regards the game (not always, but sometimes), that are pertinent.

Did I miss something because it's that vocal minority he appeared to speak of right from the beginning. And while they're a minority, they make a big deal out of it. Just take a look when Bohemia publishes something about A3's progress over at Steam/social media and there are lots of people automatically copy-pasting their same "fix the game" "blaa blaa performance" lines everytime. Here on the forums you can see the repeating phenomenon of a person getting annoyed about the game's state and then starting several threads over the course of a few days, always the same headers about bad performance like this, need a new engine like that, and eventually leading to the "arma is dying" and "is this how Bohemia treat their customer?" threads, until they collapse and make the most aggressive rant post in the manner of "I'll never play Arma again!".

Some parts of the video I think are from the 33 things about Arma 3. I could be wrong, but the video has nothing to do with what is being said. Arma does have issues, sure, but to the extent people say it's broken, there are one of 3 problems someone would say that. FPS, Want this over that, or doing it wrong. FPS entails someone expects 60 FPS no matter what, meaning either their computer is not good enough, or, they joined a server with bad mission design. Two, it's the people complaining about content, whilst some things in terms of content need fixing, they instead insist they should add everything from Tunguska's to M-4's. The third reason is again, mission design. I remember joining an Arma 3 Wasteland server and I get shot by a guy who is already 3 clicks away driving a vehicle. I join something like say, EUTW, or Ws.Arma servers, and I get no issues with connection, or FPS. This is probably the issue, is that people play a game, an play it in the wrong places. The other part to blame is some people may not even have a PC powerful enough. For instance, some have great CPU and bad GPU, while others have bad CPU and Great GPU. This means that some need to upgrade their equipment to get better CPU in order to get better performance. Whilst BIS update, and continue to update the game, the best one can do is make sure everything on their end is ok.

I believe that he mentions who the video is aimed at fairly early on, and mentions the people who comment on his videos in particular. Since these are Youtube comments we're talking about here, do you really have any problem believing that they are often incredibly hostile?

Even if it is only aimed at a vocal minority of players, what is it that makes it misleading and patronising?

This is a video primarily intended for YouTube monetization. (I am not against)

Like I have said, It is a good video and nicely edited but does not reflect the real gameplay and may lead to some frustrations and disappointments.

This is a video primarily intended for YouTube monetization. (I am not against)

Like I have said, It is a good video and nicely edited but does not reflect the real gameplay and may lead to some frustrations and disappointments.

Since when you can't do anything of what's been shown in the video?

Its just amazing how people can watch the same (fairly straight forward and simple message/video) and come back with many different meanings.

Perhaps they should bring back comprehension tests at school, it certainly seems to be a skill which people possess in varying levels of accomplishment.

Since when you can't do anything of what's been shown in the video?

In editor? I can do the same recording at 60fps which provide a less laggy output.

In a server with 64 players against 96 AI having an acceptable performance? I cant, you cant and no one can.

In a server with 64 players against 96 AI having an acceptable performance? I cant, you cant and no one can.

I'm not sure any game can.

I'm not sure any game can.

Then, whats the point of Altis? Whats the point of allowing 100 players?

To be played with 20 players vs 20 AI?

This isn't shown in the video, so it's unfair to say that the video doesn't represent gameplay when that's your example of "gameplay".

Wait. So if they made Altis smaller you wouldn't have a problem...?

Saw this video the other day and it pretty much sums up how I feel. Even though the game has its issues, I really can't figure out how people can hate so much on it and its devs when they offer so much freedom, features and support. And more and more keeps coming. I cannot think of a single game that compares to arma 3's scope, aside from arma 2, which lacks many new and awesome features.

But I guess I am just a fanboi.

This isn't shown in the video, so it's unfair to say that the video doesn't represent gameplay when that's your example of "gameplay".

Is not my example of gameplay. It is the Arma example of gameplay and that is not reproduced in video, that's what I am saying.

Imagine some one looking at this video, because he like he is going to buy the game, then (having some luck) he will find a server running a military gameplay and what he gets is nothing when compared with video.

You know whats next? One more user in this forum complaining about performance.

Kinda agree in that the land mass is unecessarily big but then again, that only reflects my way of playing while others clamor for huge, boundless terrains for better full scale warfare. Thats the thing about Arma games, they allow you to push the volume to 11 in many categories but should have a disclaimer "Unknown consequences!" in bright neon red.

introduce a proper server browser, server lobby, squad management and loadout

management PLUS a proper official conventional PVP gamemode!

Wait. So if they made Altis smaller you wouldn't have a problem...?

You can always tone down the view distance so that shouldn't matter that much. Just look at the beginning of the 2nd episode from the campaign - the performance tanks although there isn't much going on, but you can save some by lowering view distance, especially object distance and detail.

Edited by calin_banc