infiltrator_2k

How Long And How Much Work To Build Future New Engine?

Let's for a moment forget about Arma's current engine and any suggestion that its use can be extended. If it's not multicore it's toast simple as! It's done its job and sooner or later BIS (if they haven't already) will have to concede that their RV engine needs to be replaced for any future release of Arma. But how long will this typically take to build to get an early release up and running? Will BIS be able to incorporate code for the existing engine? or will it have to be coded from the ground up? Could parts of DayZ's Enfusion engine be used for a Future Arma 4? Maybe BIS are relying on the sales, revenue generated and development of DayZ to develop Arma 4?

The answer is too long and a lot. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dayz is still being developed/ported/whatever-it-is-they-are-doing-with-it so the innovation will probably happen there.

I strongly doubt there will be substantial changes in the expansion which is Q4-05 or maybe Q1-06. And I bet there will be more DLC for A3 beyond that.

Arma 4 is 2017/18 and knowing Bohemia, there are about 0 things planned or confirmed.

They need to make core refinements, it would make no sense to create a new engine from scratch. But It seems most of the personnel are artists not code guru's, i don't think they have the expertise.

Won't happen. They intend to improve the engine, not make an entirely new one.

Game runs fine for me. I don't play MMO gamemodes, badly designed missions, or on public servers with bad hardware.

Could parts of DayZ's Enfusion engine be used for a Future Arma 4?

"Bohemia Interactive is currently in the process of unifying its Real Virtuality and Enforce engines and tools

to one universal engine, which it plans to use for its future games."

http://www.bistudio.com/company/brochure

Game runs fine for me. I don't play MMO gamemodes, badly designed missions, or on public servers with bad hardware.

SandyBandy, Arma's engine isn't any good for new hardware, that's been proven by myself and many others.

But how long will this typically take to build to get an early release up and running?

the devs appeared me in dream, and said is ready tomorrow max monday in the afternoon

I don't think a new engine from the ground up is needed; I think the engine is just missing features that aren't added in yet. Dayz don't have a new engine they just added a ton of features to the existing one and renamed it. Or well that's what I think.:D

It's probably not easy. First you need to be a programming genious like John Carmack. He basically wrote the id Tech engines (Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Rage) by himself and they were used in many games. The engines are also flexible and adaptable but best suited for competitive MP 'arena' FPS games.

On the other hand, you have the RV engine by Bohemia Interactive. This engine was first showcased in 1997, then called 'Poseidon' engine. You can see how it looked like

. The engine was later renamed 'Real Virtuality' and deployed in the original Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. This game was hailed for it's authentic military combat, engrossing plot and storyline, openess and editing potential. While the engine had it's limitations, performance issues and glitches, it was also regularly updated and enhanced by Bohemia and exploited by the community. The engine evolved from OFP to VBS, OFP: Elite (OFP for consoles) to Armed Assault aka ARMA, ARMA 2 and finally ARMA 3. Each of these titles introduced new features and can be considered running on new engines, although the base code may be the same (if highly upgraded). It's to be expected that future ARMA titles will not fully abandon RV engine but enhance and improve it further. Edited by noob1
fixed link

SandyBandy, Arma's engine isn't any good for new hardware, that's been proven by myself and many others.

It hasn't been proven by anyone. It doesn't necessarily utilize all modern hardware to its full potential, but most games don't to some extent and it's not like downgrading your hardware will result in better performance.

That video is top-notch! Cheers to Dslyecxi for hitting the nail on the head once again!

@Topic: I think this engine thingy has been discussed in quite a few threads recently. I don't think there will be an entirely new engine "from scratch" (whatever that means anyway).

Who's to say if a new engine was built, we'd still have the "fix the game" mongs complaining after they run a MP mission with 60 people and 20+ mods and 200+ AI?

Who's to say if a new engine was built, we'd still have the "fix the game" mongs complaining after they run a MP mission with 60 people and 20+ mods and 200+ AI?

Don't forget the complaints about missing backwards compatibility with a brand new engine. :)

Yep! I'll be damned if some new engine will prevent me from using sample models to create a fleet of armored tractors!

Yep! I'll be damned if some new engine will prevent me from using sample models to create a fleet of armored tractors!

When are you going to release them?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist using the other mong comment we see a lot of around these forums) :D

The answer is too long and a lot. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dayz is still being developed/ported/whatever-it-is-they-are-doing-with-it so the innovation will probably happen there.

I strongly doubt there will be substantial changes in the expansion which is Q4-05 or maybe Q1-06. And I bet there will be more DLC for A3 beyond that.

Arma 4 is 2017/18 and knowing Bohemia, there are about 0 things planned or confirmed.

Did'nt Muruk an his brother just the 2 of em develope "Posieden" which did'nt it eventually become OFP? An the backbone of ArmA1,2,3? So maybe they just need rsources an time. I agree it's time for new engine but dunno if wanna wait til 2020-2025 for it to happen. Seemed like the dev time between OFP an ArmA1 was 4-5-6 yrs, with shorter dev time between ArmA1 an ArmA2 an even shorter time between that an OA, an a lengthier time betwee OA an ArmA3 due to other circumstances. I thought BI said somewhere awhile back ArmA3 was the last in the ArmA series but that might not be accurate.

I built a new machine a few months back and had a significant performance boost over my old 2010 rig, which already ran A3 with nice-enough graphics and acceptable framerates in most cases. Now I can turn everything to Ultra and enjoy a greater object view distance. PEBKAC.

It hasn't been proven by anyone. It doesn't necessarily utilize all modern hardware to its full potential, but most games don't to some extent and it's not like downgrading your hardware will result in better performance.

Arma will never utilize hardware like a regular average videogame because it's not such a closed system where they could easily optimize code due to an absolute max limit of assets on a small map with AI scripted specifically for that scene.

Sure, some things could theoretically be improved - however, there are noone on the market doing the same stuff as Arma but better, so I really can't find justification to blame Bohemia not being magical geniuses and forerunners in such a niche engine technology.

I built a new machine a few months back and had a significant performance boost over my old 2010 rig, which already ran A3 with nice-enough graphics and acceptable framerates in most cases. Now I can turn everything to Ultra and enjoy a greater object view distance. PEBKAC.

Arma will never utilize hardware like a regular average videogame because it's not such a closed system where they could easily optimize code due to an absolute max limit of assets on a small map with AI scripted specifically for that scene.

Sure, some things could theoretically be improved - however, there are noone on the market doing the same stuff as Arma but better, so I really can't find justification to blame Bohemia not being magical geniuses and forerunners in such a niche engine technology.

You speak the absolute truth. BIS isn't reinventing the wheel (consider the scale of Arma and its components) like 99.9% other studios. They're actually construction something we've never seen before and, knowing the challenges in software development, it's a huge and risky undertaking.

Of course, 90% of the vocal community will never understand this.

Remember COD: Ghost with a min req of 6GB RAM and the "usage" of it increased artificially? Well, there's your "solution" for pretty magic numbers.

There are indeed "mongs" who complain about performance issue when they're on laggy servers with lots of mods etc... But as I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm hosting a mod free efficient renown reputable mission on a dedicated server. When a friend of mine is getting 50FPS on an inferior system and I'm getting 20FPS on my 'own' dedicated server it speaks volumes.

Since the 1.38 update I've noticed 2-3 FPS increase. Although I've also noticed degraded eye-candy when the video settings remain the same.

Have you ever considered that something's wrong with your machine? I don't mean hardware-wise, I mean software. Other third party programs running in the background, old OS ect.

Have you ever considered that something's wrong with your machine? I don't mean hardware-wise, I mean software. Other third party programs running in the background, old OS ect.

I certainly wouldn't dismiss that as there's always a possibility - albeit remote. But there seems to be a general consensus that Arma isn't optimised for newer hardware. I've read it from numerous sources that people with hi-spec builds are getting on average 20FPS. It's just ironic that I was getting better performance on my older rig. I'm naturally disappointed and I regret that after many years of great gameplay on the Arma series I'm now looking to play games to take advantage of the gaming rig, otherwise it's a waste.

Despite all of its faults, Arma still has a lot of potential. It's in a class of its own when it comes to infantry. But as I've said in other posts Arma also needs to take on a definitive genre. Given the hard work put into the infantry with regards to realism, I personally believe it should apply across the board so to give Arma the genre of 'combat simulator' oppose to an ambiguous genre of 'tactical shooter'.

I am admittedly very opinionated as are many who post their views of this forum. But it sparks debate and everyone gets to have their say and opinions heard. The only trouble is many would like to make the game developed to adhere to their personal liking.

I've bought myself some new hardware last September and can't really confirm the issues on my system. My own tests tell me it's largely dependent on mission design: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183647-Good-Hardware-Monitoring-Gadgets&p=2782966&viewfull=1#post2782966

However, this data is from Arma 3 1.28, lots of stuff has changed since then.

If they just add rivers and lakes, it would satisfy me for a long time.