Moon_chilD

From Linux to Windows?

Hey guys,

right now we have this server. We run CentOS 6.6 on it have two server and two server as Headless clients.

After what happened yesterday and all the other problems we have (missions are not running due to HC and stuff like that) we concider changing the server to a Windows Server 2012 (Same Server Setup).

That would cost us 25€ plus a month. Now we want to know if we have to expect FPS/Performance drops with using Windows.

I actually want to use Windows: 1. I have more experience with windows as I have with Linux 2. Most of the gadgets (e.g. ALiVE Warroom) and even missions are build for windows.

So what do we have to expect?

Many Greetings

STAF|Moony

From my experience we've switched from ubuntu 12.04 with WINE (Linux version of A3 server wasn't complete and stable at that time), to Win 2012 Essentials and perfs are the same.

In same time windows is user friendly for administration. With the specs you have you can switch to Win with no hesitation.

The only bad part of windows is the security...I recommend you to take care a lot to filter with firewall and install anti virus to be more secure (Our server was locked because of DDOS attack and considered as a spammer because of no security at beginning). Otherwise once this part is done correctly the administration is a lot easier.

Hope it will help.

You will also find in the long run that Windows is much better supported by B.I than Linux.

We used to run Linux as the host O/S for the OFP/Arma 1 Game servers but eventually gave up due to the time delay between a Windows ArmA server.exe and a linux armaserver.exe release after a new Game engine Version was released.

This delay we found during our ArmA 1 days had a profound impact on our ability to grow a community during those first early weeks.

Plus there is better apps support for Windows, such as Firedeamon which I wouldn't be without.

I feel opposite of what most will say I belive Linux is the best , no you don't have anything special , and yeah you have to wait for updates longer than windows... but the outcome of performance , I am a beliver windows dosn't tuch Linux,

windows is kiddy friendly. that's realy what it comes down too.

I spent several hours trying to get some multiplayer maps running on Centos 7.  Now switching to Microsoft Server 2012 R2 Standard because of the loading issues with mission files.  I think BI should really remove the Linux documentation,or at least clearly mark it as Beta and partially functioning. It's frustrating as a systems admin to follow instructions and setup a server, to find out that it's not fully supported or partially working. A lot of wasted time. 

The issue with linux servers at the moment is how they read and manage server bikeys during mission start up. On a linux server the more keys you add the more issues you get. B.I have been given detailed info about this but afaik haven't yet implemented a fix for it and if you host a lot of bikeys this really is a problem

I ended up switching my server to 2012R2 essentials and it's running good.  I am still dissapointed in the Linux server it's unfortunate and wasted a lot of my time.

So I know have a good working 20 player PVP server.  Are there any PVP clans looking for a server?  I'm just looking for some good PVP matches with people.

cheers Wes

AT least on bright side when Bohemia had memory leaks in server exe linux never had that :D