Sign in to follow this  
Sub-Human

What do you think of ArmA3's futuristic setting?

How do you feel about ArmA3's futuristic setting?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about ArmA3's futuristic setting?

• I'd rather have a modern or historic (Cold War) setting
    • I prefer it to the modern setting of previous games
    • I don't care about the setting as long as the game is a realistic simulation
    • I'd like to see a new and improved futuristic setting (no CSAT bug helmets)

I miss my Abrams, Apache, Bradley, Hind, T-72, BMP, etc... So Much!!!

Same here but I think we both know that we're (most likely) going to have to wait for ArmA 4 before we get that... assuming they don't keep going further into the future like they have been since OFP.

Same here but I think we both know that we're (most likely) going to have to wait for ArmA 4 before we get that... assuming they don't keep going further into the future like they have been since OFP.

They might go in the past too so we might see a cold war setting instead.

They might go in the past too so we might see a cold war setting instead.

Oh believe me that's what I'm hoping for but every game they have made as progressively got more and more modern with the exception of Resistance jumping back a few years.

CWC: 1985 > Armed Assault: 2006?* > ArmA II: 2009 > OA: 2012 > ArmA III: 2035.

So here's to hoping they break the pattern and jump back to '85 !!!

*Not sure as the website is down for Maintenance... since March 2013.

Oh believe me that's what I'm hoping for but every game they have made as progressively got more and more modern with the exception of Resistance jumping back a few years.

CWC: 1985 > Armed Assault: 2006?* > ArmA II: 2009 > OA: 2012 > ArmA III: 2035.

So here's to hoping they break the pattern and jump back to '85 !!!

*Not sure as the website is down for Maintenance... since March 2013.

85 would be an amazing year for the game.

Late cold war setting, lots of interesting weapons and vehicles could be used plus a fictional war could be made up.

I think modern era would be good, but with other factions than the usual US Army / Russian

Modern day and it can be fictitious factions. Don't want cold war era really. Simple modern day warfare would be nice ('nice' perhaps being the wrong word)..:D

I'll echo what some others said. It's not about whether the future stuff is realistic or not. It's about gameplay.

Futuristic warfare simply isn't as much fun as past eras because of technological advances. I much preferred the Cold War setting and would love a return to Vietnam era/80s era combat.

I'll echo what some others said. It's not about whether the future stuff is realistic or not. It's about gameplay.

Futuristic warfare simply isn't as much fun as past eras because of technological advances. I much preferred the Cold War setting and would love a return to Vietnam era/80s era combat.

Heck yes Vietnam would be amazing.

6 recoiless rifles on tanks

8stJUGJ.jpg

203 mm self propelled artillery cannons

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/203mm_Self-Propelled_Howitzer_M110A2.JPG (715 kB)

Napalm

http://i.imgur.com/yg4AfnQ.jpg (281 kB)

Massive helicopter insertions into hot zones

PeXgDbt.jpg

Powerful high endurance close air support planes with 4 , 20mm cannons + 8000lb worth of napalm, torpedos, gunpods etc.

http://i.imgur.com/LTvpNQs.jpg (144 kB)

Daisy Cutter bombs

http://i.imgur.com/I7Fo4Ox.jpg (2231 kB)

As stated before me the single biggest improvement with a cold war or vietnam setting is the gameplay implications.

No easy mode thermal optics, limited nvgs, limited fire control systems, iron sights and lack of optics.

Gameplay would be better for it.

When ArmA 3 was released i thought the futuristic setting was nice,,,, now i'm just as tired of it as i am of the 'deserty arrowhead' setting.

..and as i have said before, the vietnam era would be my dream setting.

When ArmA 3 was released i thought the futuristic setting was nice,,,, now i'm just as tired of it as i am of the 'deserty arrowhead' setting.

..and as i have said before, the vietnam era would be my dream setting.

Imagine if they Utilize that amazing VBS3 tech for huge maps + DX 12 performance enhancements and as a result the map is exponentially larger than atlis.

xmf0Ay3.gif

Imagine the map covers all of cambodia, south vietnam and laos.

The campaign can cover the tet offensive, gulf of tonkin incident , Battle of ap bac.

The expansion could then merge north vietnam and focus on the winter offensive.

The factions could be. Bluforce - US military, AVRN . Red Force - PLA , North Vietnamese army Green force = Vietcong

If we're going back in time I'd rather see Korea get some light shone on it. Not called the Forgotten War for nothing.

I've raised threads on this before. ARMA is perfect for Vietnam. Assuming we somehow didn't kill our PCs with the impact of jungle, you could essentially replicate the types of missions they did back then ie. patrolling, search & destroy, etc (similar to domination/insurgency/etc that we currently place online), but also stuff like LRRP missions, helicopter insertions, use of patrol boats, etc.

I've raised threads on this before. ARMA is perfect for Vietnam. Assuming we somehow didn't kill our PCs with the impact of jungle, you could essentially replicate the types of missions they did back then ie. patrolling, search & destroy, etc (similar to domination/insurgency/etc that we currently place online), but also stuff like LRRP missions, helicopter insertions, use of patrol boats, etc.

Let's hope DX 12 is all its marketed to be.

Imagine if they Utilize that amazing VBS3 tech for huge maps + DX 12 performance enhancements and as a result the map is exponentially larger than atlis.

http://i.imgur.com/xmf0Ay3.gif

Imagine the map covers all of cambodia, south vietnam and laos.

The campaign can cover the tet offensive, gulf of tonkin incident , Battle of ap bac.

The expansion could then merge north vietnam and focus on the winter offensive.

The factions could be. Bluforce - US military, AVRN . Red Force - PLA , North Vietnamese army Green force = Vietcong

That isn't impossible but if they make a map that big 95% of it isn't going to be populated with anything.

Additionally, I do believe that BI is against doing real wars. Which is why a Cold War gone hot scenario is perfect. There are a ton of possibilities and given the fact that it would dramatically change the world you could expand it to pretty much anywhere in the world. Obviously, this isn't an A3 Expansion type of deal but an ArmA 4 one.

That isn't impossible but if they make a map that big 95% of it isn't going to be populated with anything.

Additionally, I do believe that BI is against doing real wars. Which is why a Cold War gone hot scenario is perfect. There are a ton of possibilities and given the fact that it would dramatically change the world you could expand it to pretty much anywhere in the world. Obviously, this isn't an A3 Expansion type of deal but an ArmA 4 one.

The cold war above all settings offers the most freedom due to the vast variety of Military vehicles, military weapons and experimental munitions. Not to mention it was a long conflict spanning decades if they devs want to they could take Arma 4 in a totally new and interesting direction.

As for truly large map sizes yea I would imagine most of it would be empty but at the same time it would allow for fast air to actually provide realistic support and for indirect fire and artillery to actually play an important role.

I would imagine some of those amazing developments at VBS3 could inspire similar gains in Arma 4.

The cold war above all settings offers the most freedom due to the vast variety of Military vehicles, military weapons and experimental munitions. Not to mention it was a long conflict spanning decades if they devs want to they could take Arma 4 in a totally new and interesting direction.

As for truly large map sizes yea I would imagine most of it would be empty but at the same time it would allow for fast air to actually provide realistic support and for indirect fire and artillery to actually play an important role.

My coworkers made that map! I don't think that VBS tech would do much. You're still left with having a huge space to fill with stuff.

I definitely would prefer things in game to look a bit more rough, dirty, aged and worn, and no more advanced in technological appearance than at the most modern day. I'd also prefer at least optional setting themes that are non desert based.

On the other hand, Arma 3 *finally* has some nice character animations and models, Imo a big step forward from Arma 1 and 2. As far as themes go, fortunately thanks to the volume of high quality user made addons out there, the option to switch over to woodland style (European) is definitely there, and there are some fantastic unit addons that are very well done.

The vehicles, it would certainly be nice to see some bad guy stuff that I'm used to seeing in the Arma series (and in Ofp), the common somewhat grungy looking various versions of the Russian "T" tanks, with some outdated ones, older enemy wheeled vehicles, etc - stuff that fits well with any sort of rogue army that is less than rich in funds.

Overall though, the various improvements to Arma 3 game itself are really great Imo, and some of these things that seem fixed to a degree were things that I did not like so much about Arma 1 and 2.

I do like the main factions(even if the Israeli equipment is a bit strange), and AAF is definitly my favourite faction with their European style equipment. However like some have pointed out I had hoped that the guerilla faction would look a bit more rugged up, instead they use high tech weapons that's not even used or realistically have been used nearby Altis. Instead I would enjoy the faction more if they actually used a mix of old western and eastern equipment that could have been used by Altisian forces earlier(like old rusty Humwees, M16s, AK74 and so on.

How do we know if perhaps the Israelis were supplying the TRG's to the FIA in support of their cause during the Altis Civil War?

As for vehicles, don't forget that at the point the campaign starts the FIA have been the target of an effective joint CSAT and AAF counter insurgency operation.

Bit of a spoiler regarding the TRGs.

Bearing in mind FIA are almost certainly being supplied by CTRG, it doesn't seem unreasonable for them to supply Isreali equipment, especially as it would partially divert the blame away from the NATO countries on discovery of the TRGs. A bit of rugged stuff would help the image though. (Look at the ammo box on the armed offroad, has CRTG written on it, I assume no coincidence.

Bit of a spoiler regarding the TRGs.

Bearing in mind FIA are almost certainly being supplied by CTRG, it doesn't seem unreasonable for them to supply Isreali equipment, especially as it would partially divert the blame away from the NATO countries on discovery of the TRGs. A bit of rugged stuff would help the image though. (Look at the ammo box on the armed offroad, has CRTG written on it, I assume no coincidence.

Afaik, CRTG means "Cartridge"

Afaik, CRTG means "Cartridge"

Ohh....Bollocks, guess I was wrong about that one then. :D