Coding

CODI_ArtilleryComputer

Hi Coding, I don't know whether this is down to how I have the mod set up but we are finding that when we have 2 players in game, if one gets inside a mortar the other one which is outside also gets the slope data appear on their screen. We also had a flickering appear when we had a driver and gunner in a 155mm howitzer. This is game breaking for this mod and until it's fixed I can't persuade the powers to be to use it. :(

Hi Coding, I don't know whether this is down to how I have the mod set up but we are finding that when we have 2 players in game, if one gets inside a mortar the other one which is outside also gets the slope data appear on their screen. We also had a flickering appear when we had a driver and gunner in a 155mm howitzer. This is game breaking for this mod and until it's fixed I can't persuade the powers to be to use it. :(

Can you provide a video?

What is a "flickering"?

Maybe a script is executed globally (unwanted)?

Just uploading a video now, I'll send you a link soon, sorry for the background noise some of the other 3CB members chatting away.

Ok, you convinced me.

Will be implemented.

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Thanks for the bugreport. I know what the problem is but atm no idea how to fix it.

Seems to be the y coordinate is inverted...

This will cause more problems as thought.

Hey, look at http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24835&highlight=SMGR. This thing is a well-defined position on any map.

Is there anyway to make this arty computer by default on all artillery weapon ? We're using VTS so we can't access the editor and place the modules individually.

@Coding

Been playing around with this and i really like it, much better than the default point and click. I was wondering in a future update is there any chance you could adjust the GUI to suit people like myself who have the in game GUI set to normal. It's just that when on normal size half the text is missing and looks oversized. I have to shrink it down to small ingame and its really tiny on my 16:10 monitor. It's no biggie just a small request if possible. ;)

Is there anyway to make this arty computer by default on all artillery weapon?

Nope sorry. Which weapon/mod you want? Maybe I'll add it.

We're using VTS so we can't access the editor and place the modules individually.

Why the hell you cant place modules in the editor? But I am working on a userconfig.

I was wondering in a future update is there any chance you could adjust the GUI to suit people like myself who have the in game GUI set to normal. It's just that when on normal size half the text is missing and looks oversized. I have to shrink it down to small ingame and its really tiny on my 16:10 monitor. It's no biggie just a small request if possible. ;)

Yes, I will care for other screenresolutions and settings but I can not guarantee it will be good.

@all

atm I have exams in university. as soon as they are finished I will make a new version.

Edited by Coding

Why the hell you cant place modules in the editor? But I am working on a userconfig.

VTS is a real time mission editor, you can just place a module like in the editor and have access to all of its settings. I'm just looking for a way to make mortar's gunner using you computer by default, without touching anything, just spawning the mortar. Still not possible ?

VTS is a real time mission editor, you can just place a module like in the editor and have access to all of its settings. I'm just looking for a way to make mortar's gunner using you computer by default, without touching anything, just spawning the mortar. Still not possible ?

Sure. By default an Asst. Gunner (Mk6) B_support_AMort_F can use the arty computer. Btw you can place a module in the mission (non real time).

Yes, I will care for other screenresolutions and settings but I can not guarantee it will be good.

@all

atm I have exams in university. as soon as they are finished I will make a new version.

Thanks Coding that's really appreciated mate. And good luck with your exams. ;)

In my opinion a mortar is controlled by 2 men and therefore I decided by default the gunner should not be able to use it. For people with other opinions I created a module to adjust such settings. I will never ever make it default to have access to artillerycomputer as gunner. As mentioned I am working on a userconfig...

Edited by Coding

When you shoot from a steep you might miss your target by a few meters or by multiple kilometers. As long as the artillery sometimes shoots in the wrong direction I will not disable the normal artillercomputer.

Back in the alpha/beta days, the same problem plagued line-of-sight targeting as well. If you had the slightest slope you would miss. To counter this, BI applied an adjustment when you're not firing from the artycomp screen.

Which is to say, the shell doesn't fly in the exact direction the tube is pointing. (Unless you're on perfectly flat ground...)

This is redundant, and probably even conflicting, with your slope adjustment.

Try using 0,0 slope adjustment when the shells go off target.

Seems to be the y coordinate is inverted...

This will cause more problems as thought.

Workaround: Enter negative numbers for the Y axis. (It might accept this already.)

Fix: When this condition is detected by reading the values from config, treat all Y inputs as negative.

Fix2: Do nothing with your mod, force them to fix the maps. (Config overrides, using other maps...)

Another (related) problem:

There are some maps broken enough to put the 0000/9999 divide in the middle of the map.

Workaround: Manually offset all Y inputs by e.g. +5000.

Fix: Treat initial Digit >=6 as 10-D

Fix2: Do nothing with your mod, force them to fix the maps. (Config overrides, using other maps...)

More importantly for me, however, there's some specific functionality I'm missing.

Spotter: O-T is 200

Spotter: Adjust left 60 add 20 up 5

The spotter gives his OT (Observer-target) bearing. Turning this into X and Y offsets takes four sin/cos operations. I'd prefer not to use a calculator.

Once that's in, it should not be hard to support polar missions.

Spotter: I'm at 1234 5678 alt 250

Spotter: target 86.5 for 740 meters down 42

Basically, the latter can be performed as

fire mission at my position, no shells fired, o-t is 86.5, adjust add 740 meters down 42

I also have a preference for mils(6400 nato) over degrees(360) but that's something I can live without. Especially given how the current kit is all degrees-only.

Coding, this is awesome. It honestly brings me one step back to my memories of Arma II ACE mortars (so fun).

And MahUja said what I was going to. It would be great to include Polar plot calculation so that way the observer could talk the FDC onto target during adjust fire. For reference, I recommend this page as a starting source if you need one, http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/6-30/f630_5.htm.

Also, I thought RDS did include the elevation, so wouldn't it work?

Edited by Dr3adn0ught35

Note: if you stay in a (even small) slope your angle AND your direction changes if you want to shoot 50m less. So we have 2 new values per change. 4 Changes (50m more/less/left/right). and a high and low variant.

--> 2*4*2 = 16 new values

I think the GUI would be too full for such a thing.

Someone supports me with my opinion?

The Artillery is also meant to be used with at least 2 man:

1 adjusts gun and fires

1 calculates and communicates the angles

1 spotter who ordered artillery

1 guard who scans the horizon and protects the artillery while firing

In the future, yes.

Which mod you want?

RDS static weapons I will not support until they use a hud that displays shootingangles.

I dont quite understand why there would be 16 values. There would be no need to have both values for front/back or for left/right since they would be nearly identical values. So there would be only 2 values: 1 is left/right and the scond is front/back.

Also, to fix the issue caused by slopes, I suggest that you implement a script that levels the mortars if they are on small slopes, and warns if the slope is too large and does not permit to shoot. A too large slope would be a slope that would cause graphical problems with the mortars being leveled.

I am afraid to ask, but could you implement this for RHS GRAD launcher?

I dont quite understand why there would be 16 values. There would be no need to have both values for front/back or for left/right since they would be nearly identical values. So there would be only 2 values: 1 is left/right and the scond is front/back.

Assuming you shoot from a slope != 0°

if you change the shooting direction will also change the shootdistance and vice versa

I will think about and maybe redo the gui...

Also, to fix the issue caused by slopes, I suggest that you implement a script that levels the mortars if they are on small slopes, and warns if the slope is too large and does not permit to shoot. A too large slope would be a slope that would cause graphical problems with the mortars being leveled.

Sounds like a quick & dirty fix...

I will add it if it is possible with addAction, enableSimulation and setVectorUp.

I am afraid to ask, but could you implement this for RHS GRAD launcher?

Everytime feel free to ask!

I will add an optional pbo for custom weapons like rhs M119

27.2. is my last exam and then I will continue to produce code ;)

Hi, this is really good and is just what we need. I cant get the codiartillerycomputer action to show though when using it on the server. Could this be down to other mods we use like AGM? Works fine in the editor.

Any word on the new version?

Just discovered this mod and it looks great. Ive been a point and clicker and got bored of it but still wanted to use arti so was looking around for something like this.

Does that error BL1P mentioned cause the mod to fail?

Any word on the new version?

Just discovered this mod and it looks great. Ive been a point and clicker and got bored of it but still wanted to use arti so was looking around for something like this.

Does that error BL1P mentioned cause the mod to fail?

I am working on it actually.

I think there will be a release on ~monday

It should run stable in SP

Excellent news on the potential update, hope the exams went well, I really can't wait to see what you have for us.

Coding is it possible to add comptability to the artillery pieces from masi nato russian vehicles. There are some nice static howitzers I don't know if they use the same configs as the vanilla howitzers or an altered one though. Here is the link

Ok, for all addons that are wished:

I need classnames of the vehicles that should be supported.

Also I need the CfgPatches name of the specific addon. (can be found in editor >> configviewer >> CfgPatches >> search for something looking right)

I dont want to download all those mods.

RDS Static weapons will definitly NOT supported.

In the evening I will do a complete test of the current snapshot and hopefully realease it in the night or tomorrow.

BTW: I will add a small guide, what you need to edit to support a specific addonvehicle as long it is configured similar to default artilleryvehicles in arma.

Cool I will find the classmates and cfg patches. Unless your gonna release your guide and I can then make the changes myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk