Coding

CODI_ArtilleryComputer

CODI_ArtilleryComputer is a mod made to enhance a mission for artillerists.

ArmA 3 gives you two possibillities to use artillery:

- Artillerycomputer

- Manual

It might be realistic to use the Artillerycomputer but it is just boring in a 4h mission if you sit in the base and make a few mapclicks when needed.

The manual firing mode with the artillery can be use when you have line of sight. But if you do not have line of sight It is nearly impossible to hit a target within a few shots because you have no rangetables (except for the mortar thanks to LAxeman).

So you have to decide if you want to hit and bore to death or if you do not want to hit but have fun.

With CODI_ArtilleryComputer you have the option to use a different Artillerycomputer that hopefully makes you more fun.

How to use

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/38613241479355600/3ED9488981843B456AEC92EF5998F49FC00D244F/

(238 kB)

Open "CodingsArtilleryComputer" by using the mousewheelmenu.

- Drivers of Artillery and "Asst. Gunner (Mk6)" are able to use my Artillerycomputer.

Enter the position of your artillery.

- For the position 10m grids are available. For example if you are located in the middle of LZ Connor on Stratis you should use the coordinates 0298-0187 instead of 029-018 to describe your position more precisely.

Enter height of your artillery.

- Height values can be found on map.

Enter the slope.

- Normally the driver of an artillery is shown the slopevalues.

Select Artilleryweapon.

Select Ammo.

Select Mode.

Enter position of your target.

Enter height of your target.

Click on "Calculate".

If the target can not be hit an error is displayed. If so, you maybe should change your mode or check if coordinates are entered correctly.

Now you should have two solutions. You need to decide if you want to shoot in a high or a low angle.

Projecttiles shot in a low angle are faster at the targetlocation but have a higher probability to hit hills between artillery and target.

Tell your gunner the angle and direction and let him fire :D

- The gunner is displayed his current direction with a 0.01° precision and the current mode.

You can save, load and delete targetlocations.

Close the Artillerycomputer with the closebutton.

In the example image I calculated a shot from LZ Connor to the Hotel in Agia Marina.

Known Issues

when shooting from steep you dont hit anything

bug in arma physic: when shooting from steep the projectiles dont travel parallel to the barrel (I had an offset of ~15°)

only shoot from leveled terrain

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22340

invalid values might produce scripterrors

problems with ui sizes

mission will be dependent on the mod if the missionmaker has the mod activated while creating a mission

Planned features

- save/load/delete global

- add a spottingcomputer (for fireteamleads) to save targets for artillery

- add manual (pdf)

- add highest point of flight

- (advanced version)

In next version

Changelog

- initial release

- added Module to configure the Mod

- added option to set players position if he has a gps

- added option to give access to gunner/driver/commander for the artillery computer

- added a map

- change color of angle to red if the weapon can not shoot in such an angle

- fixed inverted y coordinates (like on Chernarus)(Maps using letters in coordinates will not be supported in near future)

- fixed offset x/y coordinates (like on Chernarus)

- fixed hints were displayed for every player

- fixed mortar had multiple times an action attached when reassembled

- removed burst modes from artillerycomputer

- added support to use observervalues

- fixed (hopefully) errormessage concerning serialization

- changed gui

- added userconfig, module forces settings, userconfig runs clientside and can be different for every client

- added small guide to add custom addons yourself

- tested a different ui with additional 8 targets (within x meters) but it was much too full

Dropbox download

ACwAAAAAAQABAAACADs%3D#pwsc-{SnNsWUJlYzJFSjdUSVk4TG93QTRvUHhCY0U5REh6Nlkza21xM  St4MWNDbXhLSzJVSm5UT0FjaTNGcEVjUWM3RC91MWJYVlluYXh  FcU1qM1RNZVRzdmFPWkhwekJjYjYzZmZ3ZmhTd2hHektYSWluU  0ExUlkyY2VydGNwSW9GN0M=}

Edited by Coding

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@Coding;

You are now able to manage your own promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and follow the quick and safe claim procedure to get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way by using any filesharing service and add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Thank you, I had a play with it today and it is really nice. Just wondering were you thinking of disabling the artillery computer as a part of the mod or are you going to leave it in place?

Edited by andy1

You can disable standard BIS' artillery computer with an editor command.

Thank you, I had a play with it today and it is really nice.

Thanks!

Just wondering were you thinking of disabling the artillery computer as a part of the mod or are you going to leave it in place?

You can disable artillerycomputer with enableEngineArtillery false; but I left it in the game because of the "known issues". When you shoot from a steep you might miss your target by a few meters or by multiple kilometers. As long as the artillery sometimes shoots in the wrong direction I will not disable the normal artillercomputer.

Edited by Coding

I'm pretty sure some artillery junkies out there have been waiting for this. Very very good job mate!!

Thanks for the responses, I understand Coding why you did it that is fine. Thanks anyway

Sorry for another question but I have had a look for the answer but couldn't see it but how does your offset boxes work exactly. Are they based on grid references or meters

Sorry for another question but I have had a look for the answer but couldn't see it but how does your offset boxes work exactly. Are they based on grid references or meters

No problem. Eighter way I wanted to do a video about it. Lets say the arillery is at 0000 0000 and the target at 0100 0100 and you aim with an offset of 100 50. It would be the same if you set the target to 0110 0105

The offset is meant to be used to correct/manipulate your shots on a target.

If you aim in the same angles when you shoot 5 rounds, you will hit exactly the same spot. But normally you dont want to hit a taget twice with artillery so you can quickly adjust your fire.

I have a forgetful brain and I could imagine if I want to adjust the target I remove it and could not remember... :D

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Im unable to find the ArtilleryComputer under Modules -> Misc

Am i the only one with that problem?

Im unable to find the ArtilleryComputer under Modules -> Misc

Am i the only one with that problem?

No, atm there is only one person who can see the module: me.

The video was done with the current snapshot.

As soon as I implemented also a nightmap, I will relese it to public.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

I released version 0.2

Downloadlink is updated

Edited by Coding

Thanks for sending us the update :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

This is brilliant. This is what the complexity the Vanilla Artillery computer should have had.

Liking your work so far, thanks for doing it!

It would be great if the dialog showed how much the gun needs to be moved for 50 meter movement at target. This way it would be easy to spread out the rounds to cover some area without calculatin new values for the gun.

Two values:

One to show how much the angle of the barrel needs to be changed to move impacts 50 meters farther or closer.

And another to show how much the direction needs to be changed to move impacts 50 meters left or right.

Also what are the Burst (close), and the other burst settings ? I thought that they were AI only, and should be removed from the options.

Could you share to us how this can be implemented for community made artillery weapons also?

Edited by Bumgie

It would be great if the dialog showed how much the gun needs to be moved for 50 meter movement at target. This way it would be easy to spread out the rounds to cover some area without calculatin new values for the gun.

Note: if you stay in a (even small) slope your angle AND your direction changes if you want to shoot 50m less. So we have 2 new values per change. 4 Changes (50m more/less/left/right). and a high and low variant.

--> 2*4*2 = 16 new values

I think the GUI would be too full for such a thing.

Someone supports me with my opinion?

The Artillery is also meant to be used with at least 2 man:

1 adjusts gun and fires

1 calculates and communicates the angles

1 spotter who ordered artillery

1 guard who scans the horizon and protects the artillery while firing

Also what are the Burst (close), and the other burst settings ? I thought that they were AI only, and should be removed from the options.

I think you are right. I will delete it in the future. I just read out the config and did not filter it.

Could you share to us how this can be implemented for community made artillery weapons also?

In the future, yes.

Which mod you want?

RDS static weapons I will not support until they use a hud that displays shootingangles.

Edited by Coding

Hm, is that mod also for mortars with just a single unit as crew?

Great mod, Arma was missing such a feature before. Hopefully BI fix this nasty arty bug!

This is mighty awesome! If I may, I'd like to request something, can you add a value for the Maximum Ordinate (highest altitude) of the projectile path? This would come in handy for joint fire exercises.

Gave this a short twirl yesterday and it seems great, finally a good use for mortars. I still have to get used to the UI, but I see potential.

Hm, is that mod also for mortars with just a single unit as crew?

Sure. Anyone can get in as gunner. And an Asst. Gunner Mk6 can access the arty computer by default.

If I may, I'd like to request something, can you add a value for the Maximum Ordinate (highest altitude) of the projectile path? This would come in handy for joint fire exercises.

I think that will be no problem. The question for me is why you need such a value?

Sure. Anyone can get in as gunner. And an Asst. Gunner Mk6 can access the arty computer by default.

I think that will be no problem. The question for me is why you need such a value?

When calling in for Air support not only only they have to steer clear fo the gun target line (diection of indirect fires) but also stay above it if they happen to cross over. I beleive the vanilla arty computer has this value.

Hi Coding,

First of all, thank you for this brilliant system. As a member of a GU with a dedicated artillery/mortar section, this is the exact sort of thing we have been looking for as a replacement for the vanilla artillery computer.

Everything works well apart from one bug. If the map (such as Stratis) starts with grid squares labelled 000 etc across and up both x and y axis, the system works brilliantly. However, some maps, such as Chernarus, do not (the Chernarus y axis starts 153 and ends at 999). Using Chernarus as an example, if I set up a mortar exactly at the Altar trig point located at 0814 0628, when I use your computer with the GPS enabled (to give me my position automatically) it comes up as 0814 0913 even though my GPS on the normal map shows the correct position. Therefore, any target locations you give it will mean the computer will calculate to somewhere else entirely.

I hope this is something that is fixable as this is an excellent mod when working on the vanilla maps!

When calling in for Air support not only only they have to steer clear fo the gun target line (diection of indirect fires) but also stay above it if they happen to cross over. I beleive the vanilla arty computer has this value.

Ok, you convinced me.

Will be implemented.

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Hi Coding,

First of all, thank you for this brilliant system. As a member of a GU with a dedicated artillery/mortar section, this is the exact sort of thing we have been looking for as a replacement for the vanilla artillery computer.

Everything works well apart from one bug. If the map (such as Stratis) starts with grid squares labelled 000 etc across and up both x and y axis, the system works brilliantly. However, some maps, such as Chernarus, do not (the Chernarus y axis starts 153 and ends at 999). Using Chernarus as an example, if I set up a mortar exactly at the Altar trig point located at 0814 0628, when I use your computer with the GPS enabled (to give me my position automatically) it comes up as 0814 0913 even though my GPS on the normal map shows the correct position. Therefore, any target locations you give it will mean the computer will calculate to somewhere else entirely.

I hope this is something that is fixable as this is an excellent mod when working on the vanilla maps!

Thanks for the bugreport. I know what the problem is but atm no idea how to fix it.

Seems to be the y coordinate is inverted...

This will cause more problems as thought.

Edited by Coding