Sign in to follow this  
delta99

Multiple Clients with Dedicated server for testing missions

I have always been able to connect multiple clients to a single dedicated server or even hosted session for testing multiplayer missions that I'm developing. I haven't done this in months however and now I can't seem to be able to connect multiple clients anymore on the same LAN.

I get an error "you were kicked off the game" when the 2nd client connects. NOTE, both clients can connect by themselves as long as the 2nd one doesn't connect. So both can connect without errors on their own.

Has this functionality now been blocked for some reason?

Is there a new way of doing this I'm not aware of?

Same copy of the game? (Same steam account)

You can only connect multiple clients that are different accounts and has been like this since BETA maybe even as far back as ALPHA.

If not maybe some kind of port conflict?

Not sure if it's even possible/allowed.

Have you checked the dedicated server config file:

kickDuplicate       = 1; //Should be 0 in your case.
BattlEye = 1;  // Maybe battleeye has a check now? try disabling it aswell.

Multiple clients using the same steam account?

Do they all have different profiles?

yes it's possible, i use this all the time to test my missions

add this to your server .cfg file

kickduplicate = 0;
loopback = true;

Same copy of the game? (Same steam account)

You can only connect multiple clients that are different accounts and has been like this since BETA maybe even as far back as ALPHA.

If not maybe some kind of port conflict?

please stop spreading disinfo

kickduplicate = 0;
loopback = true;

From my testing (admittedly almost a year ago), 'loopback' does not work on main branch. At the time I also heard it was only available for BIS in-house 'cheatsEnabled' machines. If this is all incorrect, let me know.

From my testing (admittedly almost a year ago), 'loopback' does not work on main branch. At the time I also heard it was only available for BIS in-house 'cheatsEnabled' machines. If this is all incorrect, let me know.

According to the wiki it still does on DEV branch. Not sure if it also works on stable though.

Naizarak is correct. This IS possible and I've done it well past release. This is always how I test my missions. These are the same Steam accounts.

Perhaps the kick duplicate is the issue and I will take a look into that. Maybe this is something new in the last couple of months or so.

I did figure out one thing though. If I host a mission on LAN (NOT Internet) then I can connect no problem from a second client (same steam account). Now I just need to figure this out for a dedicated server (and again maybe its just the kick duplicate). OR, does anyone know how to launch a dedicated server on LAN only? Perhaps it is the steam or IP reporting that is causing the issue.

On stable I can't even connect when loopback = true;

With kickdups 0 I can only connect 1 client.

So only thing I could imagine working dedi is dev branch with loopback. Can't switch right now so can't tell.

I haven't tested with todays update but it was working fine yesterday, with my local dedi config file being:

steamPort = 8766;
hostName = "BearBison Testing";
password = "";
passwordAdmin = "test";
logFile = "logfile_console.log";
loopback = true;

motd[] = {};
motdInterval = 3;

maxPlayers = 6;
kickduplicate = 0;
verifySignatures = 0;
requiredSecureId = 0;

voteMissionPlayers = 3;
voteThreshold = 0.33;

disableVoN = 0;
vonCodecQuality = 10;
persistent = 1;
timeStampFormat = "full";
BattlEye = 0;

doubleIdDetected = "";
onUserConnected = "";
onUserDisconnected = "";
onHackedData = "";
onDifferentData = "";
onUnsignedData = "";
regularCheck = "";

class Missions
{
   class Mission_1
   {
       template = "32_BasicTraining_v25.Altis";
       difficulty = "veteran";
   };
};

kickduplicate = 0;
loopback = true;

Meh i was going off of this thread from memory, had not read it in a while

note: no deadline ETA (estimated time of arrival(but we try ASAP (as soon as possible))

* each instance of Client / Dedicated Client (both modes) needs unique STEAM account with the Arma 3 game ownership

Had not realized they had added a LAN DEV only loop back mode. So not exactly disInfo

Naizarak is correct. This IS possible and I've done it well past release. This is always how I test my missions. These are the same Steam accounts.

Perhaps the kick duplicate is the issue and I will take a look into that. Maybe this is something new in the last couple of months or so.

I did figure out one thing though. If I host a mission on LAN (NOT Internet) then I can connect no problem from a second client (same steam account). Now I just need to figure this out for a dedicated server (and again maybe its just the kick duplicate). OR, does anyone know how to launch a dedicated server on LAN only? Perhaps it is the steam or IP reporting that is causing the issue.

yeah i use it to test MP missions on lan(since it's all done from 1 computer anyways). not sure if this would work for a remote server. as far as i know there's no separate "LAN" mode. a publicly joinable game is just a lan server with open ports. to search for lan games, use the "remote" button and enter the host computer's local IP (192.168.xxxx) and the port(2302 by default). if im not mistaken local clients should be routed via lan automatically even if you join via the public games browser