fritogotlayed

[SP\MP] Dynamic Universal War System - Rebirth

Official Steam Workshop Release

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=393315278

Release Candidate is here

https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R/releases/tag/v0.1.0-rc1

That's right. It's been about 3 weeks since this thread started and we finally have some traction to show! I must be honest, the majority of the improvements you see in this RC was done by the talented Bolbies and Phr0gz. These two saw the interest in the community for a renewed DUWS and hopped right in there to start things rolling. I can honestly say that I really appreciate their hard work and without them this RC would definitely not be released this early.

That said, the link above is to our release candidate. Things may not be bullet proof or very shiney right now, but that's ok. Arma scripting is a completely new thing for myself and another member so we're slowing down the team right now by asking tons of questions. I can honestly say that if you hit a new bug it was probably from me, lol. The DUWS-R Team really appreciates your support and we hope you have fun playing with the latest release candidate!

Original Post

To all those interested I have started a GitHub project named, you guessed it, Dynamic Universal War System - Rebirth. This is a fork of the original Dynamic Universal War System by Kibot. I am currently in the process of getting all the "plumbing" set up, such as continuous builds. Once we have a few releases made I will be adding the project to Steam Workshop. I encourage everyone that would like to fork the project on GitHub and make pull requests for all those features you've been wishing were in DUWS originally ;-). I'm a programmer by trade so doing the whole hype thing isn't exactly in my nature. I'd much rather wow people over with the finished work so stay tuned.

For those that would rather give suggestions without actually getting their hands dirty in the scripting I will be watching this thread for new ideas!

Edited by fritogotlayed
Posting official release link

Hey, I enjoy the DUWS mod, but I definitely see areas that need improvement. One is the HQ. There needs to be patrols and lighting around the hq, maybe checkpoints on roads around the HQ. I dont know how many times I took shots when I went back to my hq to resuply.

Maybee add mod support also? I think DUWS would be awesome with the RHS Escalation mod.

Any improvements will make an already great mod even better. I can't wait to see what work you do :D

Hey, I enjoy the DUWS mod, but I definitely see areas that need improvement. One is the HQ. There needs to be patrols and lighting around the hq, maybe checkpoints on roads around the HQ. I dont know how many times I took shots when I went back to my hq to resuply.

Maybee add mod support also? I think DUWS would be awesome with the RHS Escalation mod.

Any improvements will make an already great mod even better. I can't wait to see what work you do :D

Thanks for the faith! I can only hope to take a great mod to a higher level. I'll definitely see what I can do regarding the checkpoints and lighting around the HQ. I have noticed that once the Opfor patrols get pretty strong it can hamper getting back to base for a resupply :-).

For the additional mod support I'd have to research if that's possible to do dynamically. I'll definitely log the issues into our issue tracker on GitHub. At the very least having DUWS-R compatible with other mods will be a great feature.

Thanks for linking the DUWS w/ RHS Escalation mod!

New issues have been logged here at the links below :-)

Checkpoints, additional or respawning security at HQ

Lighting around the HQ is poor at night

Research the ability for DUWS-R to use units from other mods easily (almost plug-in like)

I'm excited about this. My group has recently started playing the RHS DUWS mod and we love it. I plan on keeping an eye on this.

on that note:

I feel that cleanup isn't as aggressive as it should be. My rig dies after a little more than an hour hosting/playing. Stable framerates went out the window when corpses started piling up in an AO(I think)

I think base camp needs a clearly defined Repair/Rearm zone (maybe different ones for aircraft and vehicles) or a clearly defined Repair/rearm mechanic. As it stands it's a little vague

Squadding up should be a bit easier. So my sniper duo can be officially in the same squad instead of having to play Marco Polo in an AO.

I've been hitting a bug in classic DUWS that causes my entire squad to usurp my command (once via a Friendly Fire response, I was arty. Once when I died). This stops me from being able to spawn more units or retake command. Either let me disband the entire squad to HC (I can live with that), let me usurp command again, or just stop me from getting overthrown.

Most of my other complaints are covered in your Github issues list. If something comes of this, I'll be one of the first in line.

I'm excited about this. My group has recently started playing the RHS DUWS mod and we love it. I plan on keeping an eye on this.

on that note:

I feel that cleanup isn't as aggressive as it should be. My rig dies after a little more than an hour hosting/playing. Stable framerates went out the window when corpses started piling up in an AO(I think)

I think base camp needs a clearly defined Repair/Rearm zone (maybe different ones for aircraft and vehicles) or a clearly defined Repair/rearm mechanic. As it stands it's a little vague

Squadding up should be a bit easier. So my sniper duo can be officially in the same squad instead of having to play Marco Polo in an AO.

I've been hitting a bug in classic DUWS that causes my entire squad to usurp my command (once via a Friendly Fire response, I was arty. Once when I died). This stops me from being able to spawn more units or retake command. Either let me disband the entire squad to HC (I can live with that), let me usurp command again, or just stop me from getting overthrown.

Most of my other complaints are covered in your Github issues list. If something comes of this, I'll be one of the first in line.

Are all of the issues you've experienced here from playing the original DUWS or from the RHS DUWS fork? I'm going to log these in GitHub and would like to make sure I capture accurate information to help track down some of these issues.

I logged the squad command issue here: https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R/issues/32

Are all of the issues you've experienced here from playing the original DUWS or from the RHS DUWS fork? I'm going to log these in GitHub and would like to make sure I capture accurate information to help track down some of these issues.

I need to validate with both and separate the issues.

I just have difficulty imagining that my issues are tied solely with the RHS mod, or if it's the Remade version that the RHS mod is based on (additional supports, etc.), or if it's from vanilla DUWS

Hi Fritogotlayed

DUWS is what my group use exclusively in ARMA, so to hear that someone else is taking up the mantle is great news.

So without going any further: best of luck on your endeavour.

If I can make some suggestions, here are some features I think would be nice

• Custom Place Enemy Zones
  • Add ability to refortify MAIN base
  • Allow selection of sides/factions e.g BLUFOR vs Militia OR OPFOR vs RHS Escalation units
  • Longshot - maybe have a zone type of FORTRESS, where a town or village is heavily defended
    (I would imagine these would have to be hand-made, hand placing units in buildings etc)

DUWS as a concept is a fantastic framework and should really come built into the game i.e. a quick, accessible, replayable mission.

I'm glad to see someone else working on it

Best of luck

Slynchy

I need to validate with both and separate the issues.

I just have difficulty imagining that my issues are tied solely with the RHS mod, or if it's the Remade version that the RHS mod is based on (additional supports, etc.), or if it's from vanilla DUWS

I'm not trying to place the blame on RHS at all :-).

For the garbage collection I'm more wondering if RHS could have more objects in the world at any given time or anything. While I'm running on a somewhat "beefy" system I have some friends that I play with on occasion that are on more anemic machines. I haven't heard any complains from them on general sluggishness. I have created an issue to allow for the player to tweak the garbage collection settings though. I believe it is possible to do but I am not as familiar with the code as some of the other members on the team.

For re-arm/repair I believe there are two ways this can be done. One is the Field Repair skill that can be done anywhere. I believe this only repairs whatever you are in. There is also a purchasable menu item that lets a player re-arm while in the HQ zone. At least I think it is the entire HQ zone. These are done through the radio currently. When you're in the HQ zone there is a little notification that pops up about half way across the top of the screen. Are you saying this is insufficient or have I just missed the boat on understanding?

As for squad-up bit I am a little confused on this one as well. This may be the fact that I don't play with larger groups, usually max 4 people. When playing like this we usually all join the same squad then use the armory to customize our loadouts. I realize this isn't very pure from a mil-sim standpoint but it is what has worked for us. Is what you're asking for her a six person squad? Ex: TL, AT, Med, Rfl, Snipe, Spotter?

I appreciate your patience in trying to help me understand and pinpoint your pain with the mission. I'd rather truly understand what your issue is and fix that rather than create a bunch of band-aids to throw at the issues and see which sticks. :-)

Garbage Collection - https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R/issues/37

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Hi Fritogotlayed

DUWS is what my group use exclusively in ARMA, so to hear that someone else is taking up the mantle is great news.

So without going any further: best of luck on your endeavour.

If I can make some suggestions, here are some features I think would be nice

• Custom Place Enemy Zones
  • Add ability to refortify MAIN base
  • Allow selection of sides/factions e.g BLUFOR vs Militia OR OPFOR vs RHS Escalation units
  • Longshot - maybe have a zone type of FORTRESS, where a town or village is heavily defended
    (I would imagine these would have to be hand-made, hand placing units in buildings etc)

DUWS as a concept is a fantastic framework and should really come built into the game i.e. a quick, accessible, replayable mission.

I'm glad to see someone else working on it

Best of luck

Slynchy

Hey Slynchy,

Thanks for the kind words on the excitement about DUWS-R! I'll make sure I pass this post along to the team. It's always great to see the support of the community around our donation of time to making something fun for everyone. The DUWS project is a great concept that offers a huge amount of replay-ability. My hat goes off to Kibot for starting the whole movement. That said, Bohemia gets recognition for making a fantastic MilSim and opening up a great API that allows the community to fill some of the voids we see. Without Kibot and Bohemia this would of never been possible. The DUWS-R Team is truly riding on the shoulders of giants.

I'm going to be lazy here and re-use your list putting my comments in bold. >.>

• Custom Place Enemy Zones -- If you haven't already seen this you should... This is already complete and in our development builds. It is set to be officially released in our v0.1.0 build released at the end of February.
  • Add ability to refortify MAIN base -- This may be related to this issue.
  • Allow selection of sides/factions e.g BLUFOR vs Militia OR OPFOR vs RHS Escalation units -- This issue is definitely something that needs to happen before we can really address your item here. The intent was to move in this direction though.
  • Longshot - maybe have a zone type of FORTRESS, where a town or village is heavily defended -- Definitely an interesting idea here. I think there may be an issue around this where a large around of "open" area would be needed to do this effectively. With all the low-walls, rocks, roads, brush, etc. it may be problematic to place this effectively in code. I'll definitely bring it up with the rest of the team and their their input.

Edited by fritogotlayed
Fixed links

This issue is easily reproduced btw.

- Add units to your squad

- instigate a Friendly Fire Response by injuring teammates

- Respawn

- Add units to your squad

Expected (desired) results:

units are added to your squad as usual and are under your command.

Optional: Units from your previous squad are under your command (

Actual results:

units are not added to the squad and you continue to be a subordinate to the next unit in your old chain of command

Not sure if this is isolated to DUWS:Modified but i've had issues with purchased vehicles spawning with tires/treads partially in the ground making them unusable.

This might be isolated to certain terrain but last night had an APC and a hummer stuck in the ground that I had to blow up

Not really reliably reproduceable as it seems to be just random luck.

I might take a look at your dev build tonight if I end up playing.

edit: quick feature request. If possible, allow us to have individual resource pools (equal split). This keeps players from overspending and ruining the budget for the rest of the game. Also a bit more room for customizing starting CP would be nice. Sometimes we just wanna spawn 50 infantry and go nuts with the supports.

Edited by unforgiven91

Not sure if this is isolated to DUWS:Modified but i've had issues with purchased vehicles spawning with tires/treads partially in the ground making them unusable.

This might be isolated to certain terrain but last night had an APC and a hummer stuck in the ground that I had to blow up

edit: quick feature request. If possible, allow us to have individual resource pools (equal split). This keeps players from overspending and ruining the budget for the rest of the game. Also a bit more room for customizing starting CP would be nice. Sometimes we just wanna spawn 50 infantry and go nuts with the supports.

Believe this to be an issue with 1.38 update. Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Believe this to be an issue with 1.38 update. Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Either way it's a huuuggeee bummer and kills a lot of my strategies. A sellback option might be a quicker solution for this.

"I'm gonna spawn some artillery. The fire support would be nice... aaaand it's stuck in the ground. Any of you guys feel like restarting the mission? Yeah? Ok, let's do that."

Separate CP has been logged : https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R/issues/41

Adding more options for additional CP is easy enough to do. I feel it's a bit of a "hacky" solution to another problem of running out of CP from a player with poor resource management though. I created this issue a while back that may help to address both items you listed in your edit.

In the long run I'm hoping to add a larger suite of settings to the campaign in general so that each host can customize the play to the groups liking. :-)

---------- Post added at 02:29 ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 ----------

Shoot the vehicle once. That should free the tires. OLD BIS bug.

Ha! Thanks for the work around!

unforgiven91: Thanks for the steps to reproduce. Not sure why I didn't try that. I updated the GitHub issue with a link to your post.

https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R/issues/32

To work around this issue:

Save

Choose new player slot

Resume mission

Additionally to work around the player shaking or vehicles stuck in ground bug

Use the developmental build of ARMA 3.

Steam Library

Right click ARMA 3

Properties

Beta Tab

Choose Dev Build from the drop down

Close

(ignore the the beta code field)

Hey Fritogotlayed,

I checked out the Github and saw that the dedicated server support was already a ticket. My clan would love to be running the developmental builds of DUWS-R and to be able to give feedback as the project progresses, but due to the inevitable lag that the host begins to suffer from after a few hours of gaming, we are never able to get past 2-4 hours of a DUWS session. If we could set it up on our dedicated server, we could begin playing the builds and testing them as they release.

Any idea on an ETA for dedicated server support?

Thanks for reviving one of the best missions in ARMA 3 - my clan and I look forward to playing!

I have managed to add in several bits.

Support for

-Super Hornet

-SU - 35 Flanker

-F35B

-Wanzer (because i like mechs, this is just for me)

and

Zeus support

WIP F-16C

Thanks to some helpful mod authors. Thanks boys!-

Hey Fritogotlayed,

I checked out the Github and saw that the dedicated server support was already a ticket. My clan would love to be running the developmental builds of DUWS-R and to be able to give feedback as the project progresses, but due to the inevitable lag that the host begins to suffer from after a few hours of gaming, we are never able to get past 2-4 hours of a DUWS session. If we could set it up on our dedicated server, we could begin playing the builds and testing them as they release.

Any idea on an ETA for dedicated server support?

Thanks for reviving one of the best missions in ARMA 3 - my clan and I look forward to playing!

Hey fildred13,

Currently the dedicated support is on the agenda for the 0.2.0.X release. The 0.1.0.X release is in the final stages of wrapping up and I hope to have that fully released March 1st. From there I hope to be on a one month cadence. That would put 0.2.0.X being fully released April 1st. All of that said I believe Phr0gz has most of the work done for the dedicated server support but I haven't had a chance to actually work with him on getting it pull requested. Phr0gz and I have a roughly 7 hour time difference so when he's home in the evening I am still at work and we have both been fairly busy on the weekends. I'm still pretty weak at Arma scripting in general so I'm pretty slow with it. If I can't get with Phr0gz to get his changes pull requested I plan on looking at his commits to see if I can get the feature rebuilt in a more timely manner. As for the performance issue, I'm hoping to get some traction on that in the 0.2.0.X sprint at well.

I forgot to mention that I hope to have the dev build issue solved here shortly. I have a fix pull requested waiting on anyone to comment as a review. Once https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R/pull/44 changes to "Merged" or "Closed" the dev builds should be good once again :-).

Edited by fritogotlayed
Added bit about dev builds

Hey all,

I just wanted to mention that I haven't gone dark. I am currently out at a conference this week and I forgot to mention that. There's not going to be much traction on the DUWS-R mod this week as far as pull request merged or anything go. I'm hoping to hop back on that next week once things calm back down.

Thanks,

Frito

I haven't logged in these forms literally since Sep 19 2012, that was my last visit, but I wanted to log in to say PLEASE keep working on this, this is keeping me and my IRL friends co-op sessions alive, and seeing someone took up the mantle makes me SUPER happy! I see the latest dev build was about 9 days ago, so work is clearly still going, I'll be downloading your 0.1.0 version now to try out, is there a full change log of new things added, sorry if I missed it somewhere, but I did see reinforcing the HQ I believe was marked as in 0.1.0 and that alone is enough to make me download and play!

Sorry for the jumble of text, haha, typing quickly, but please continue, and maybe show me where I could find a consistent change log, or even post one here to keep the thread updated!

Edited by Ghosteez

Frito,

Loving the mission so far, I play it regularly with my co-op buddies.

Two things that I hear requests for a lot are:

- an option to turn off fatigue (this was in an older version of DUWS)

- increase the starting CP points (currently 60, possibly 200?)

Thanks!