dashy84

[WIP] Terrain - Evergreen

Hello Community,

a few month ago i published some german video tutorials about the Terrain Builder to get more people are intresting in creating Terrains for ARMA3. So now its time for my own first project.

It´s called "Evergreen" and is a real terrain with self made hightfield and about 4km² big. Yes, it is small, but with much love. The Map is for little urban fights or PVP / SP Missions for people who loves details.

I use this first project for earning skills befor going forward with my bigger projects in 10x10km scale.

Later on, i will give the ability to download the complete project files for tutorial and check how it works for beginners.

UPDATE 24.03.2015

80%

screen.jpg

Ingame Screenshots:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dashy84/screenshots/?appid=0&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=grid

http://www.legion-arma3.de/evergreen/13.jpg (175 kB)

http://www.legion-arma3.de/evergreen/5.jpg (257 kB)

sry my bad English ^^

Edited by dashy84

Very good!! And dont knock yourself for making a small terrain. To often people rush in and try to make a huge terrain only to get frustrated and quit. So it's very refreshing to see someone actually start small. Keep it up!!

Looks good, keep up the good work!

I use this first project for earning skills befor going forward with my bigger projects in 10x10km scale.

We would have a lot more high quality terrains if everyone would start terrain making like you do!

Oh, and maybe you should check out the MapBuilder Alpha: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?187572-Map-Builder-Ingame-3D-Editor-for-terrain-creation

This looks absolutely terrific so far!

You're also absolutely correct to start with a small terrain... Like M1lkm8n says - a small starter terrain processes fast and is quick and easy to work with. There's not a huge area to fill so you can quickly progress through all the stages, from heightfield, mask & sat through roads & veg placement to object layouts. Before you know it, you've had a go and learned the basics of all the important skills - AND the end result is a nice little "infantry map" which is a nice "first release" in it's own right!

Well done all round so far!!!

If you need any help or get stuck with anything - make a thread in the Terrains Section, and you should also consider joining the Skype Terrainmakers channel sometime!

B

Bushlurker is absolutely correct. I always cringe when someone says to me "I am working on my first map, its 40x40km" =)

Good luck with your project and keep on!

I love it!

And offtopic, yes, you're English (at least in written form) is better than most people who only speak English, so no worries.;)

Your plans for sharing/tutorial is FANTASTIC!

It looks VERY nice, great attention to detail, and very natural looking placements!

Keep up the good work, and as all the experts have already told you, a finished small island is worth infinitely more than an unfinished enormous one.

Frankly, I think Arma 3 is in need of smaller, more optimized terrains to Allow for some high player/object count missions.

Congrats Dashy84- and good choice to start with a small terrain.

I shall be taking a leaf from your book and doing the same thing initially...

Nice looks good what place in the wild did you pick ? Would like to see a German map some day would be nice

Thanks for first feedback :) Yea if got first fustraded by generating layers for huge terrains over and over and to see in the end the quality isent aint so close i want so ill start exacly this to see fast results in every step.

The "original" island is called "Burgazadasr". Beacause cant finding detailed dem data i use creating my own for looking natural nice.

Thanks for all the invites to the skype group, im allredy in, you find me as "daSh" :)

Ah - I thought I recognised it - it's one of the Prince's Islands near Istanbul. Good choice for a starter island - I was considering using that myself as a starter before I settled on Gorgona. Good luck!

I just Updated the first post with new Ingame Screenshots including the second port city.

Update: 24.03.2015

Nice use of objects! Looks sharp!

A really beautiful map, with many details and good ideas. Well done.

Silola

Epic map :D love it! even if I am more a fan chernarus/utes/everon types of maps and not so much the "greek settings". But I love this map anyway ;). Will download at release.

What Island is this based on? Just wondering because you said it´s a real life map in your first post

In real its called "Burgazadasi" in the northern Marmara Sea.

In real its called "Burgazadasi" in the northern Marmara Sea.

Oh ok thanks. Will the Island be called Burgazadasi in the game then or will you continue to use Evergreen? Just asking because I got a little confused when I tried to find the Island (Before your answer).

i think it will be "Evergreen" because there is too much costum building placeing, in special radar, fort, hospital, that dont match up with real terrain. So no one can wonder why his own home issent in correct place :D

But maybe i will add the original name too, so any one can look and find the real terrain for this template.