Greenfist

Yet Another Arma Benchmark

YAAB: Yet Another Arma Benchmark
eiPTob1.jpg

In short: About 2.5 minutes long scripted intro for measuring your average FPS. Emphasis on AI fighting performance, bullets, and explosions.

Features:

• A small town with 40 AI soldiers in combat
  • Lots of fire, smoke, explosions, and gunfire!
  • Around 300 static objects + a goat.
  • Relatively consistent results, despite the random nature of Arma AI. Expect about 2% variance.
  • Up to 20 results can be saved. Useful when comparing the performance between different game versions, system tweaks and mods, for example. Saves a list of your running mods.
  • Select multiple saved results to view their average score
  • A short "preloading" sequence in the beginning to let the game load some of the assets to RAM before measuring. So you shouldn't have to run it twice to get better results.

Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 0.5 (15-01-2015)
   - First WIP
Update v0.8 (24-01-2015)
   - Added the second stage of benchmarking.
   - A lot of small tweaks.
Update v0.85 (06-02-2015)
   - Minor fixes.  
   - Even more cinematic experience! (Expect 24 fps on an average PC)
   - Slightly higher fps, so previous results shouldn't be compared.
Update v0.985 (06-06-2015)
   - Totally reworked
   - Added graph chart to display the FPS (not per each frame, but 0.20 second averages. Not very useful but it looks nice.)
   - Saves the used mods in the results.
   - More save slots.
   - A tad longer duration.

Update v0.987 (06-02-2016)
   - Compatibility with game version 1.60+
   - One bug fix for saving results.
Update v0.99 (20-02-2017)
   - Minor fixes for UI and mission
   - You can now select multiple saved results with ctrl+mouse click to view their average score
   - Press P in the beginning to set the view distances to "standard" test settings (VD 1600m, OVD 1300m)
   - eliminated the big fps dop caused by the skipTime command.

Update v1.00 (17-01-2019)
- Minor fix to UI
- Added all current DLCs as vanilla content
- Prop objects slightly adjusted

Downloads:
Steam Workshop

Dropbox

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20,7 FPS @ULTRA 1920x1200 (vysnc off, no "tweaks")

AI is killing my CPU ;D

benched sys:

4770k @3.9ghz

gtx 970 sc @1380/7010mhz

8gb ddr3 @1600mhz

samsung 830 256gb

Greenfist, this looks nice - I was thinking of trying to make a mission like this to help evaluating AI mods.

One request - would you be kind enough to upload it to a non-Steam site? Armaholic, maybe? I have intermittent problems with Steam, also others report problems with Steam workshop.

Greenfist, this looks nice - I was thinking of trying to make a mission like this to help evaluating AI mods.

One request - would you be kind enough to upload it to a non-Steam site? Armaholic, maybe? I have intermittent problems with Steam, also others report problems with Steam workshop.

Thanks. :)

The plan is to keep this on Steam only until it's somewhat "finished", maybe the next week or so.

If you can play it, you can save it. Steam puts the mission file somewhere on your computer, can't remember where though.

Sorry , I'm interested in more benchmarks but I will wait until this mission is available on Armaholic.

Sorry , I'm interested in more benchmarks but I will wait until this mission is available on Armaholic.

I understand. It will be there or somewhere else as a direct download by the end of the week.

Mission updated.

A bunch of tweaks, big and small.

Added a second shorter scene to test AI performance at a distance.

Added a direct download.

Some visual glitches still remaining, but they don't affect the results.

I test this tool and I think is perfect to create stress and generate accurate benchmark.

I suggest that will be useful create a separate bench to test the hd spawning several units (vehicles, humans, etc) inside the bench.

Mission updated.

If anyone of you have run this, could you post your results along with your setup? I'd appreciate it a lot, because I've only heard of 3 results so far.

It would be interesting to see how different rigs perform (Which was the whole point of this. :) )

I suggest that will be useful create a separate bench to test the hd spawning several units (vehicles, humans, etc) inside the bench.

I don't think testing unit spawning would be a good idea, because when it's done right in actual missions (by caching etc), its impact on performance should be insignificant. As far as I know at least.

On the other hand, it could still be used to test your computer's performance... I'll think about it.

Edited by Greenfist

Some results for ya

Arma 3 1.38 - YAAB 0.85 - Vanilla

i7 2600 @3.4 GHz - GTX 750 Ti (driver 348.52) - 8 GB RAM 1333 MHz - HDD

Average FPS: 20.1 - 2726 frames

Notes: for some reason a desk spawned right in front of the CSAT soldier walking upstairs (he went right through it though).

Also, a request: can you tone down the fog a little? The blue daytime fog makes the game look much worse, although I understand it's done to increase performance a little.

Notes: for some reason a desk spawned right in front of the CSAT soldier walking upstairs (he went right through it though).

Also, a request: can you tone down the fog a little? The blue daytime fog makes the game look much worse, although I understand it's done to increase performance a little.

Buildings are populated with objects randomly. I'll change that in the staircase though.

Yeah, the fog combined with color corrections might be a bit too much, although the visual aspect is not the main point of the mission. :)

thanks greenfist for the new benchmark! It would be nice to stick this thread in arma3/general.

No problem, mate.

I see you're running some kind of monster PC there. I'd be grateful if you could post your result. :D

view distance: 3000m

object distance: 3000m

shadows: 200

all other settings @ ultra

mods: SpeedofSound-Pure, Laxemann´s reverb-mod, Blastcore Phoenix + Tracers, Badbenson´s midrangetexture-fix

dev.version

system in signature

first run: 29,2 fps

I like this benchmark, its more first person view based but a little bit ai-heavy so its very very cpu-limited.

Edited by JumpingHubert
on today´s dev branch + mods

To celebrate the 500th sub on Workshop :yay:, I've almost completely reworked the mission, thus rendering all your previous results incompatible with the new version. :icon_twisted:

But worry not, you can still download the old one. The link is in the first post.

Major changes are:

the second stage with distant units was removed. But more Michael Bay was added.

A graphic chart of FPS. 0.20 second averages, not every frame. So you probably can't detect small stutters from it.

Your running mods are now saved in the results.

Please note: this isn't actually a very scientific benchmark because of the AI. Its movement, shooting and other decisions are inherently random, so every run is always a bit different.

Also, if your system is particularly slow, the AI simulation may be "simplified". Meaning the game might skip some processing if it takes too long, thus resulting in different amount of work done by your system. So you might not see any better results if you overclock the CPU for example.

32,7 FPS @ULTRA/custom 2560x1440 (vysnc off, "all set to max")

Vive distance 7500 and opbject 3300

AI is killing my CPU ;D

benched sys:

4690k @4.9ghz

gtx 980 stock

16gb ddr3 @2666mhz

samsung 830 256gb

Edited by loopdk

Wow, a nice rig you have there! And thanks for posting your result.

Surprisingly low fps though. :confused: Maybe it's because of the high resolution or the ultra settings...?

The general view distance is limited to 1500m so that can't be it.

Mine was 27.9fps, medium-high settings, 1680x1050

i5-3450 @~3.6GHz

GTX 660

8GB 1800MHz

Intel 530 SSD

Edited by Greenfist

32,8 FPS @VERY HIGH to ULTRA/custom 1920x1080 (vysnc off)

benched sys:

2500k @4.5ghz

gtx 780 stock

8gb ddr3 @1600mhz

samsung 830 256gb

Just didt a test.. high givs me 30.1 fps....

arrh i just love arma :D

Just didt a test.. high givs me 30.1 fps....

arrh i just love arma :D

Specs?

32,7 FPS @ULTRA/custom 2560x1440 (vysnc off, "all set to max")

Vive distance 7500 and opbject 3300

AI is killing my CPU ;D

benched sys:

4690k @4.9ghz

gtx 980 stock

16gb ddr3 @2666mhz

samsung 830 256gb

Specs?

here you go

Edited by loopdk

Lol, so high gives you lower FPS than Ultra? Hahahah Arma FTW!

with out eny mods and the razer boost thing i get 38 with spec:

I5 4790k @5000

gtx980

16gb ddr3 2666

Ultra setting and vivedistance 7500 and object 3300

redone benchmark with current game version:

36,1 FPS @ULTRA 1920x1200 (vysnc off, no "tweaks")

benched sys:

4770k @3.9ghz

gtx 970 sc @1380/7010mhz

8gb ddr3 @1600mhz

samsung 830 256gb