Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

Do things seem a little dead?

As far as development goes?

When OFP was released, we got a major expansion a year later. When ARMA was released, we got a major expansion a year later. When ARMA 2 was released, we got a major expansion a year later.

Arma 3 was released a year and a half ago, and almost two years ago if you consider the beta release. Yet, we don't even have any confirmation yet about the expansion and any real inclination of what it would be.

All my time following ARMA, there's always been information on "the next big thing" confirmed to discuss, even if it's years away. Does anyone think it's weird we haven't gotten that yet after ARMA 3?

Edited by bonchie
clarify wording

Arma 3 was released a year and a half ago, and almost two years ago if you consider the beta release. Yet, we don't even have any confirmation yet of a major expansion or any real inclination of what it would be.

Read all the BI sitreps. The A3 expansion and the next DLC ( marksman ) were announced more than a year ago, the DLC should be released in Spring and the expansion Summer-Fall.

There's been plenty of confirmations that an expansion is coming though. The 2014/2015 roadmap last May confirmed an expansion was planned with release date estimated for the end of 2015... there's been mentions of it in the dev blogs (1, 2, etc) in the last few months about it.

They took a different strategy with Arma 3. If you've been following the sitreps, They've been planning a large expansion since at least their test DLC Karts. It's staged for late this year. Hopefully, they'll do another expansion after it, but one has been confirmed. However, aside from the environment designers' finishing up major models and early terrain progress, very little is known about the expansion.

Read all the BI sitreps. The A3 expansion and the next DLC ( marksman ) were announced more than a year ago, the DLC should be released in Spring and the expansion Summer-Fall.

And what would that be? That was the point.

I'm aware they said an expansion is coming. And a year later we have practically zero information to confirm what it is. That's different then what we've seen in the past, where information on settings or possible features have come years in advance.

Edited by bonchie

And what would that be? That was the point.

I'm aware they said an expansion is coming. And a year later we have practically zero information to confirm what it is. That's different then what we've seen in the past, where information on settings or possible features have come years in advance.

It's all about the hype these days. The hype, and the suspension. The only problem with those two things however, is major disaster if not executed correctly. Hopefully we can expect something either really really good from the expansion, a major amount of content and possible new features, or, little content, few features. We never know.

It's all about the hype these days. The hype, and the suspension. The only problem with those two things however, is major disaster if not executed correctly. Hopefully we can expect something either really really good from the expansion, a major amount of content and possible new features, or, little content, few features. We never know.

TBH, I think we might get a jokey hint about it around 1st April...

Dan;2857696']TBH' date=' I think we might get a jokey hint about it around 1st April...[/quote']

:D

But they are not confirming much yet. As you can see from the SITREP one of the things from Marksmen DLC is pushed back to expansion and is replaced by some expansion feature. Things change quickly. Though a small hint about the terrain wouldn't be that bad and we'll see if there's some ARG game going on again in the future. They probably make the DLC first and then we can expect more about the expansion.

Dan;2857696']TBH' date=' I think we might get a jokey hint about it around 1st April...[/quote']

I can't see that happening. It only worked for the Karts DLC because well, it was a small side project done on one dev's complete and total free time. The only reason it actually turned into a DLC was because it happened to kill two birds with one stone, first being a donation source for the Czech Red Cross, and second, as a test for the new DLC business model. if some people didn't want to but it, that's fine, it's just a go kart, and it's cost was mere pocket change. As for a game Expansion... I could see something a bit more serious. Perhaps a small teaser for a new campaign featuring the new Terrain, new Animations, good voice acting and a hint towards whats to happen from where we left off on the new map. Or, perhaps is something totally new. But otherwise, it's been calm, an quite here on the forums, not much to be said, and no one knows where the Expansion will take us in the world. All we know is it's supposed to bring a ton of new content, and possible features.

Remember in ArmA 2 Armoury you can play as a rabit being hunted? It's the first rabit simulator in the market! I bet on April 1st they'll release a goat... Wait... someone already did that

I don't think it is all about hype, at least not intentionally. BIS have said many times that they're withholding info about new features until they can confirm for certain that they'll be able to pull them off. They've broken promises like this in the past, and want to avoid that happening again.

Thanks for another spam thread. This is what you started it off with

Arma 3 was released a year and a half ago, and almost two years ago if you consider the beta release. Yet, we don't even have any confirmation yet of a major expansion

Several posts later you go on to post this

I'm aware they said an expansion is coming.

They have been more aggressive at releasing patches/fixes on a daily basis than at any other time in the past. You're asking if things seem dead? It's quite the opposite, they're busier than ever. You're just not looking in the right areas!

Thanks for another spam thread. This is what you started it off with

Several posts later you go on to post this

And thanks for your very informative post.

I meant there's been nothing confirmed about it. I could of been more clear, but being a jerk isn't necessary either.

The level of information we have at this point is unusual compared to pass development cycles with ARMA. I'm sure there's a reason for that but there's nothing wrong with discussing it.

This as opposed to the umpteenth post complaining about network code or the AI.

Edited by bonchie

what do you think the new expansion campaign will be on?

I'm hoping its remastered islands from the old OFP (everon, nogova kolgujev, etc). Also hoping for new features , maybe a better animation system , more realistic and fluid recoil and so on.

I wish they would release Chernarus + as DLC, I'd quite happily pay £5-10 for it, quick cash boost for BIS and some happy players :)

As long as it's big i don't care. They've already confirmed it's not been done in any of the previous official BIS made maps, which is GOOD. If it's smaller than Chernarus, ill be disappointed. If it's just a little smaller or just as big as Alltis, i'll be happy. Altis was ok, for game design, not that that great. But something more mountainous, with more roads and strategic routes and waterways and such would be a real seller.

I must be the only person that would prefer a series of smaller maps rather than a big one. The bigger it is the slower it will run and Arma 3 already has severe performance problems. Most AOs don't need to be more than a few kilometres so maps designed around a few specific interesting locations are more useful as they run better verses a massive map with lots of areas but where when you only operate in a small part of the map you seem to pay in frames for all the rest you aren't using. I don't want them too small but really big maps aren't sensible considering how poorly Arma 3 runs with them.

This series was their (BI) backbone. Not sure its that way anymore. Times move on.

I must be the only person that would prefer a series of smaller maps rather than a big one. The bigger it is the slower it will run and Arma 3 already has severe performance problems. Most AOs don't need to be more than a few kilometres so maps designed around a few specific interesting locations are more useful as they run better verses a massive map with lots of areas but where when you only operate in a small part of the map you seem to pay in frames for all the rest you aren't using. I don't want them too small but really big maps aren't sensible considering how poorly Arma 3 runs with them.

+800000 the big maps are a bullshit

Yeah and couple smaller maps the detail can be better. Though in the other hand it's good that the base game delivers big map so there's something big in the base game and modders can then make some smaller detailed maps. It's bit two sided I'd like to see some small very detail maps but then on the other hand it's good that the team delivers big map in the base game.

+800000 the big maps are a bullshit

no..as a CTI player small maps are bullshit

You guys have everything backwards regarding map size.

This game engine is the reason for performance issues. Dont lower standards for the game because the devs are incompetent in realizing they are still driving around a model T with fuel injection and satellite radio.

It was written in its entirety before the concept of multiple core CPUs were around. Remember operation flashpoint? we are still playing on the exact same code with shortcuts and "additions" to make it work on newer computers.

What bohemia needs to do is stop their content creation in entirety, and start work on a new engine from the ground up with future technology in mind. An engine that allows maximum performance and flexibility regarding adding content.

There is no reason our modern rigs cannot be running a game like arma 3 at screaming FPS with hundreds of units. The problem is the skeletal framework on which the game is built is rotting from old age.

Bohemia will keep dragging out the dead corpse of this engine until people stop buying their games. And arma 3's success to active player ratio is proof that the next game will NOT do well unless they 1up themselves with PR like they did with arma3.

Start begging for a new engine. Not a 3rd party engine , not cryengine , not unreal. Bohemia needs to make a new engine from the ground up. No copy/pasting from VBS. Everything needs to go.

Remember operation flashpoint? we are still playing on the exact same code with shortcuts and "additions" to make it work on newer computers.

And how do you know that ? Wishful thinking ?