*sigh*

Here we go again, more promises and disappointment for you all!

No I'm kidding, I aim to finish it this time around.

So I've completely re worked the L85A2, rebuilt the LP model and cleaned up the HP model for better baking results. The textures need more work, but are passable for now. Currently it supports the 6.whatever the calibre is suppressor, couple of scopes etc, the basic stuffs.

The sounds, well the sounds are pretty decent, I had to purchase some from Pond5 and I'm glad I did, worth the investment because this rifle has never sounded this good, in my opinion (but there will always be some people out there that are displeased)

Oh, and there's a pink version....

Here's some a crappy images.

screenshot003_zps77da9d5b.png

2_zpsf7ccca1a.jpg

1_zps57e6da08.jpg

screenshot001_zps7ac98c2d.png

screenshot000_zpsebf089b7.png

c967091761_zps248ffdd5.jpg

Latest update

Many of the issues that have been put forward to me have been resolved, but as always, I may have missed something, please let me know.

I've added new animations for the reloads etc, fixed up the scope sight, added distance lods so it should be way more optimized now, fixed the texture seams at distance, various other bits and pieces that escape my memory right now.

So here's where you will find all you need, the downloads, but not only the PBO, but as usual, all of the source material, including the model files for others to build around, or sell illegally or whatever.

The PBO: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfgw8s9xb1f0uwd/kio_l85a2.pbo?dl=0

Alternatively, you can download it on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375082698

The Source material: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pd2pnqbvkq8p85m/kio_l85a2.rar?dl=0

Here's the BIKey for those interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjoprjnrbgi55y0/kio_l85a2.pbo.kio.bisign?dl=0

So here's where I get cheeky, I put a lot of time and effort into my work, and have actually invested money into this piece this time around, I think a donation or two wouldn't be entirely out of place, in fact would be greatly appreciated. It keeps me motivated and goes towards living costs.

donate_zpsf2790211.png

This is not a requirement and all of my work is free for you to use, but if you're feeling generous, hey, just do it, nobody is getting hurt!

Edited by Kiory

Nice job,only hope you didn spend to much on the sound (;) ) but lovely job! btw you could have asked here for a good sound file without the money lol,but thx for the effort!

At first I saw the title and was like "nah mate, your having me on" But then I saw this, saw the picture and was amazed! WOW! Thank you so much!

Absolutely loving it mate! Might just make it into our Mod Pack before our next campaign along with the UGL :) On behalf of British people everywhere I thank you.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I can always rely on you Fox, thanks a lot man!

You sir, are a god.

Releasing source = small donation from me ;)

I hope so, but it's not in the current line up, but never say never, Reaper.

Can I make one cheeky request? Your .max models can only be opened in 3DS Max and no other modelling programs (like Blender). Can you export these files in a universal file format such as .obj, .fbx, or .dae? These can be read by almost all modelling programs :)

I can do that, give me a minute.

:Edit: Alright, updated the first post with FBX and OBJ formats. Didn't bother with DAE as it's basically an obsolete format, FBX is better.

I'd recommend using OBJ if possible, it has retained the normals modifier I use for baking, which will be required for the normal maps working correctly.

Edited by Kiory

Just a small thing, both variants are called "Rifle" under the virtual arsenal. We always appreciate good source files :)

Nice work on those L85A2s.

Tip:

You could get rid of the pink L85 model by selecting your entire model in oxygen and going into face properties (E by default)

filter for the 2 different type of texture you want to allow re-texturing and give them different selections. (do this for every visual LOD)

basically by looking into your sources it's a selection of every face with front_co.paa and a seperate selection for every face with main_co.paa

then make sure you put those 2 selections under sections array for the model in the model.cfg and edit your config.cpp with

hiddenSelections[] = {"selection1","selection2"};

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"path\to\selection1\texture.paa","path\to\selection2\texture"};

Basically allowing you to modify the textures of your weapon by config alone instead of having to duplicate models.

I know how to use hidden selections, the pink version uses slightly different specularity etc, so requires a secondary model and rvmat, appreciate the thoughts though.

Just a small thing, both variants are called "Rifle" under the virtual arsenal. We always appreciate good source files :)

That's probably why I spent half an hour looking for it and didn't find it :P

Twice I've had a major crash when using this rifle (computer completely locks up, have to restart PC). RPT ends with this:

Fresnel k must be >0, given n=1.4,k=0

Possibly a texture issue?

Interesting, never encountered this before.

Fresnel relates to the specularity and how it behaves on the material, I'll check it out, thanks man.

I know how to use hidden selections, the pink version uses slightly different specularity etc, so requires a secondary model and rvmat

You can use the hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] array to apply a different .rvmat without the need for a separate model. It works the same as the hiddenSelectionsTextures[] array.

Generally that config parameter isn't that useful to us addonmakers since overrides damage/wound materials on units and vehicles (hence why there are very few examples of people using it). However, weapons and things like helmets and body armour have no damage states, so it's not really an issue there. Instead, with weapons you have that whole thing where the model reverts to the default textures/materials when placed on the ground :/

But anyway; nice revision of the model. I like the way you handled the ironsight/carry-handle & universal picatinny rail swap-over on this iteration.

If I had one suggestion for when you do further work on the addon down the line, it would be to fold the dust-cover (the green bit just behind the ejection port) down into the open position. Like this:

800px-L85A2_with_L123A1_UGL.jpg

As soon as you pull the cocking handle back to make ready an SA80 or fire it, the rearward movement of the bolt-carrier pushes the cover out of the little retaining notch, and a spring pops the dust cover into the open position automatically. So having it closed is only really the case when the rifle isn't in use.

It's probably possible to use the 'revolving' animation source to make it pop open after the first round from the magazine is fired, but I'm not sure whether it would also cause a lot of flapping open and closed on the model whenever the magazine empties, or you reload. So maybe it'd be simpler to just leave it open all the time.

Hmm, I had no idea the hidden selections for materials even existed, thanks for this information Death, much appreciated. As for the dust cover, I knew someone had to mention it, I'll sort it.

Hey Kiory, great to see you back to working over he L85a2! I would ask you (or any willing coding... da12thMonkey? wink wink) for ASDG JR compactibility, cus right now the SUSAT doesn´t list on VAS or Virtual Arsenal, and probably wouldn´t attach to the rifles...

Keep up the great work, want to use the L85a2 on your "The Thing" artic mission lol

Cheers!