IndeedPete

Pete's Re-Textures (EUROFORCE, CSAT Snow Tigers)

I stay tuned as much as i can, but my keyboard is full of slime now ;)

Fantastic update, love all the customisations :)

Will there ever be a final version of the camo? You are surprising us with a changed one every month. :D

And by the way, do you have any further plans for the MPs? A MP-Patch for the uniforms similiar to the flag patches would be a nice addition. Also a few more different beretts for different troops (logistics, infantry, MPs, artillery, ...) would give the modification more depth.

So keep it up!

Final version? Meaning I can't change things anymore? Nah, f*** it! ;) This started out as a training project and it still is. I thought I'd get bored soon but BI's models are very detailed and worth every change. By the way, the camos actually didn't change, I only refined some details. The Hex camo is still the main one even though I've added the Crystal, Splinter, and Digitalised Flecktarn uniforms and (soft) headgear. Also, some parts on vests and MXs were plain off so I had to fix them anyway.

The problem with patches and flags and such is that the uniform texture is mirrored. So if I made an MP patch it would say "MP" on the right shoulder and "PM" on the left (or vice versa) and that would look weird. Different berets might be an option, though it usually requires to change the material as well. But I was thinking about parade / formal uniforms. The problem is I don't have a model for such thing. It might be possible to use the AAF officer fatigues but I'd have to clean them first. And it got rolled sleeves which is too informal for a formal uniform in my opinion.

The problem with patches and flags and such is that the uniform texture is mirrored. So if I made an MP patch it would say "MP" on the right shoulder and "PM" on the left (or vice versa) and that would look weird.

But the flag patches are only on one arm. :huh:  Why this is no option for a MP-patch? It do not has to be on both arms.

Do you mean the unit insignia? Because the flag patch I'm talking about is the small shield above it.

Do you mean the unit insignia? Because the flag patch I'm talking about is the small shield above it.

Ok, my fault. Seems I choosed the wrong word for the patch I am talking about. I talk about the european patches/insignias/flags you made for the EF-Units

Ah, in that case it should be possible to provide an MP patch. Should be fancier than a simple MP I'd guess.

• Like 2

Update! New unfiorms, more details, fixed weapon textres, UI icons, etc. Make sure to update the XEH (contained in main download) as well if you use it with ACE as new Wolfpack Recon units have been added. Enjoy, and make sure to report bugs if you encounter some. I'm mainly looking for gear not showing up in Zeus or the Arsenal due to re-done CfgPatches.

Version: 1.20

Changelog

1.20 - 08.01.2016

• FIXED: MXs had off-looking parts on their textures.
  • CHANGED: Revised vest and backpack material.
  • CHANGED: Added more detail to headgear and uniforms.
  • ADDED: UI icons for most non-DLC gear.
  • ADDED: Uniforms in Splinter, Crystal, and Digitalised Flecktarn.
  • ADDED: New Wolfpack Assault Recon units.

Download
Dropbox v1.20
Steam Workshop v1.20

Download CBA Extended Eventhandler Support Addon Stand Alone (needed for ACE3 comaptibility)
Dropbox v1.01
Steam Workshop v1.01

• Like 2

Funny, I just saw I started this thread on this day, one year ago. So I went browsing through my old screenshots and found what I believe was the first design, dated 2nd of December in 2014. Horrible!

2014-12-02_000012askt.jpg

And not to mention these ones. I call that Smurf Camoâ„¢. :D

2014-12-03_00003cps42.jpg

All in all, they've come a long way since this.

2014-12-04_000215hs6e.jpg

Despite this project being the one that probably made the most noticable steps forward, I'm still certain I can improve it further in the future. But for now, happy anniversary I guess?

2016-01-09_000011esky.jpg

• Like 3

Small report, I'm working a bit on the guns. The MXs got a refined filter adding more profile and a metal texture resulting in a more grungy look. Then I made a rather quick Navid work with colours morphed to EUROFORCE's Altis palette. And I took a shot at the Mk18 ABR and the Mk-I EMR DMRs. Anyway, they're just designs for now, pics below:

New, grungier sage MX.

2016-01-19_0000179uu6.jpg

The new Navid, sage middle, green stock, grip, barrel cover, and magazine.

2016-01-19_00002vkuir.jpg

2016-01-19_00003m9ug4.jpg

And the MX in Altis digi camo. Note that I drastically increased the size of the pixels. It looks much better that way and blends in with vest and helmet.

2016-01-19_00004k9uno.jpg

And now the Mk-I in Altis digi with green magazine, barrel, and lower buttstock. I'm not fully happy with it yet, it needs some more love.

2016-01-19_00005ueu7b.jpg

And lastly, a random OPFOR soldier in Russian Flora pants, black top, custom gloves, and a vest in Russian Digital Flora. (Not intended for EF.) And, of course, the Mk18 in sage cover with green mag and RIS.

2016-01-19_00006hfuql.jpg

2016-01-19_000074zup5.jpg

• Like 2

IndeedPete thank you.

I love the way you work on the weapons and can't wait to see the final result.

Love the Sage MX and Mk-I. Keep up the great work :)

Hey Pete, let me just start off by saying: Awsome work, much appreciated! 

Love the fact that you're using swedish m90 splinter camo as a base for several of the uniforms. Got a small suggestion/idea if you're willing to hear me out, regarding the winter version of the uniforms.

In the current version (as in most winter-camo-mods) almost all parts of the uniform is recoloured to fit into a winter environment, often using a scale of black and whites to simulate this. However, green or brown is often a far more common color in winter landscapes. The problem that arises is that often we think of winter as a binary thing, it's either fully snowed or no snow at all, were it's often somewhere inbetween. In other words, there's still trees, rocks, and other things that aren't totally covered in snow. So a totally "white/black" apperance, including white guns, white gloves, white boots etc wouldn't really work that well, atleast not if it's in an area where there isn't that much snow. Here's some examples:

Swedish winter M90, here seen used by Arctic Rangers in the far north, where everything actually gets very white. Here's a full uniform picture (in a not-so-snowy climate). Most of the time however units are simply issued a snow-overall-kind-of thing, that you put over your regular uniform. This is of course very much a cost-related issue, but could perhaps give a certain difference between regular infantry and more "SF"-type units for your mod. 

As for vehicles, Here's a good example of a sort-of-snowy-climate, regarding vehicle camo, and here's another one. They simply painted the brightest green parts into white instead. There's also this image however, but i've seldom seen vehicles painted that much white in any other place. Could perhaps be a good example of what a "fully winterized" version of a vehicle could look like.

As you can see in these pictures (and that goes for other nordic nations aswell), there's seldom a full-white-coloured gear-set issued, and I don't think it's a 2035-related thing either, as it's seldom 100% winter in many parts of the world. It's more often than not "sort of winter with alot of gray, brown and green". And even in 100% snow-covered landscapes the full gear is very seldom all-white. Swedes are for example issued specific winter boots that aren't white-coloured. Equipment is however often covered in different means in order to winterify them, while maintaining flexibilty in regards to weather (the snow could melt away pretty quickly, given the right/wrong circumstances). It'd sure suck to be stuck with fully-white coloured gear when there's no snow. Alot worse than being in a fully snowy climate with green gear, i'd reckon. 

So, on to my suggestion after this wall of text. :)

1) Reduce the amount of white/black-coloured winter-specific gear and make "full winter gear" a mix of ordinary coloured gear combined with some specific winter-coloured sets, preferably introducing brown, gray and dark green. SF-type units might have more specialized fully-white coloured gear available to them however.

Edit: Totally missed the m05 inspired version you've already made. This amount of green perhaps would also work for the splinter camo?

2) Give vehicles "splotches" of white colours instead of having them being fully white. 

Again, these are simply suggestions/ideas and is not meant as criticism of your work. 

Thanks for reading through this heap of text, and keep up the good work! :)

Thanks, lads!

@engen: thanks for your detailed suggestions, your interest is much appreciated! Let me adress a few things.

There is a lot of white and grey, that's true. And in real life, as you stated correctly, soliders are probably wearing rather green uniforms and carry white ponchos or similar with them. However, this is not feasible in Arma 3 as maps have no seasons and by that snow can't melt away. Plus you've got engine limitations on top of that. Of course, one could model a poncho and configure it as vest. That way, units could put it on when needed. But what about their original palte carriers then?

The second reason is simply design. Or call it artistic freedom if you want. (Though I wouldn't go that far and call my amateur work art. :D) I wanted to make the different themes stand out at bit, hence the white boot and glove accents. Believe me, using the same green on the same boots everytime gets boring.^^ Plus, since I have a dedicated woodland scheme already, my aim was to create a real snow camo, with dominating white and grey tones. Plus there is the M05 Digitalised Flecktarn version with dominating green tones

Then there's the thing with real life camos. Of course, I've looked up a few, but let's face it, snow camos are pretty boring. For example, MARPAT winter:

scout_sniper_snow_martzsk3.jpg

Pretty meh, no highlights, no accents. (Though it looks like an overall put on top of the real uniform.) Then there's Multicam winter, also pretty flat:

timthumb.jpg

And finally, the super effective but really crappy looking German Schneetarn. Looks like someone shit their pants:

me_winter.jpg

Again, these are all overalls, probably due to cost reasons. However, Arma doesn't have the possibility to create full-body, attacheable jumpsuits. Let's get to vehicle camos. This HMMWV here uses a lot of white (or maybe it's just amplified by the snow), grey, and some green / black parts:

Snow_Camo.jpg

It's true that most vehicle camos are probably just spraypainted by the crew when snow falls and they have to mask their otherwise green tank. I mean, even the US convoys passing eastern Germany to get to Poland or the Baltic states were still in desert colours if I remember the newspaper images correctly. Probably due to cost reasons. (There was actually a US convoy getting lost east of Berlin, quite funny story. :D) Anyway, back to the topic. A few words on colours in general. What you perceived as black is in fact a very dark green (source file below). But in general, black is widely spread in camos as it closely resembles natural shadows and by that helps masking the soldier.

splinter-snowinfltlmv.png

And lastly, you propbably have to see my work from my perspective. These addons were originally meant to support my upcoming campaign project, hence I needed a lot of variety and some extremes. I still have a load of unreleased and unshown camos here. Let's see, these two INDEP schemes are far more greenish:

2016-01-19_00008trs5f.jpg

2016-01-19_00009o0s5x.jpg

And one I think I haven't really shown yet. A BLUFOR alternative based on Multicam, only with less saturation, fitting the dirty-snowy-grey landscapes of mixed islands like Helvantis quite well:

2016-01-19_00010tvs1w.jpg

2016-01-19_00011gosrw.jpg

And finally, an attempt to incorporate a greyish ATACS version:

2016-01-15_00010ptu9a.jpg

You see, there's at leas some variety coming, also more green tones. As for your suggestions, I might refine my stuff when the time comes. There's always something to do and everything is subject of change. :)

• Like 1

Since the new editor seems to allow loading different texture variations for vehicles on the fly, I would love to see your vehicles with different country insignias and flags combined with the Euroforce insignias. :) ( like it is possible with your infantry units and groups)

I think these texture variations are already in the Virtual Garage. I find it very tedious to configure and therefore ignore it as long as possible. Unit insignias might work on vehicles as well, but I'd have to do them all again in metal / spray look.

• Like 1

@engen: thanks for your detailed suggestions, your interest is much appreciated! Let me adress a few things.

There is a lot of white and grey, that's true. And in real life, as you stated correctly, soliders are probably wearing rather green uniforms and carry white ponchos or similar with them. However, this is not feasible in Arma 3 as maps have no seasons and by that snow can't melt away. Plus you've got engine limitations on top of that. Of course, one could model a poncho and configure it as vest. That way, units could put it on when needed. But what about their original palte carriers then?

The second reason is simply design. Or call it artistic freedom if you want. (Though I wouldn't go that far and call my amateur work art. :D) I wanted to make the different themes stand out at bit, hence the white boot and glove accents. Believe me, using the same green on the same boots everytime gets boring.^^ Plus, since I have a dedicated woodland scheme already, my aim was to create a real snow camo, with dominating white and grey tones. Plus there is the M05 Digitalised Flecktarn version with dominating green tones

Then there's the thing with real life camos. Of course, I've looked up a few, but let's face it, snow camos are pretty boring. For example, MARPAT winter:

Pretty meh, no highlights, no accents. (Though it looks like an overall put on top of the real uniform.) Then there's Multicam winter, also pretty flat:

And finally, the super effective but really crappy looking German Schneetarn. Looks like someone shit their pants:

Again, these are all overalls, probably due to cost reasons. However, Arma doesn't have the possibility to create full-body, attacheable jumpsuits. Let's get to vehicle camos. This HMMWV here uses a lot of white (or maybe it's just amplified by the snow), grey, and some green / black parts:

It's true that most vehicle camos are probably just spraypainted by the crew when snow falls and they have to mask their otherwise green tank. I mean, even the US convoys passing eastern Germany to get to Poland or the Baltic states were still in desert colours if I remember the newspaper images correctly. Probably due to cost reasons. (There was actually a US convoy getting lost east of Berlin, quite funny story. :D) Anyway, back to the topic. A few words on colours in general. What you perceived as black is in fact a very dark green (source file below). But in general, black is widely spread in camos as it closely resembles natural shadows and by that helps masking the soldier.

And lastly, you propbably have to see my work from my perspective. These addons were originally meant to support my upcoming campaign project, hence I needed a lot of variety and some extremes. I still have a load of unreleased and unshown camos here. Let's see, these two INDEP schemes are far more greenish:

And one I think I haven't really shown yet. A BLUFOR alternative based on Multicam, only with less saturation, fitting the dirty-snowy-grey landscapes of mixed islands like Helvantis quite well:

And finally, an attempt to incorporate a greyish ATACS version:

You see, there's at leas some variety coming, also more green tones. As for your suggestions, I might refine my stuff when the time comes. There's always something to do and everything is subject of change. :)

Hey,

I fully understand your thoughts and reasoning on the subject! Thanks for hearing me out regarding the ideas though, and for the very thorough reply. :)

Cheers

Recent works: as said the MXs look more grungy now and received a complete overhaul regarding their details. There shouldn't be any off parts any more.

2016-01-27_00016mpjaa.jpg

Then I've finished the customised MMGs and DMRs, tailored to existing colour schemes:

2016-01-27_000145qjse.jpg

2016-01-27_000158wkcz.jpg

These are not completely final and I still have to do a bit of work on the UI icons for all that stuff. Plus an overhaul of the backpacks is planned to finally give them matching bags. I hope to get things releasable by the end of the week but no promises.

Other than that, I was busy doing strongly customised content for STAF Clan (which will not be part of EUROFORCE). If you're looking for a clan which actually uses the EUROFORCE for missions, I'm sure Moon_chilD would love to talk you into your membership. Anyway, I've made some Norwegian M-Something uniforms in desert and woodland for a Norwegian member, and two Mk-1 DMRs for a Danish member:

2016-01-27_00009mej0o.jpg

2016-01-27_00010rmk73.jpg

2016-01-27_00011ifkhz.jpg

And of course, I had some fun re-texturing the MMG with some classic patterns: Tiger Stripe, Multicam Black, Chocolate Chip, and ATACS.

2016-01-27_00001jekcb.jpg

2016-01-27_00012rakaw.jpg

2016-01-27_00003ffj2o.jpg

2016-01-27_00013x6jdq.jpg

2016-01-27_00005nwkzm.jpg

• Like 3

The SPMGs, DMR and MX look very good.

I'm happy to see you fixed the off parts on the MX so quickly.

Its very good to hear that a bagpack overhaul is planed. Looking forward to it.

Will they have single colors or will they have the same patterns?

(I think since you are with us you are even more productive...but could just be since we always ask you "Could you do this and that...?" xD)

Backpacks will be most likely in camo patterns. I just don't know which ones, I haven't made any designs yet. More productive? After the last DevBranch update, Eden didn't work anymore so I had time to do something else. :D

• Like 1