NeoArmageddon

Map Builder - Ingame 3D-Editor for terrain creation

It has nothing to do this post in this thread but today release the 3d editor Eden beta and was testing. and I want to say that I will continue using this addon (MapBuilder) for a very long time since this beta eden has no essential options as having MB. keep in mind that this beta stage. Again, thank you very much for this great addon Neo. Greetings from Argentina

Thanks for your kind words nikoaton. I were sceptical about the eden editor and if it will make Map Builder obsolete but obviously BIS has other aims than X-Cam and Map Builder... Terrains vs Missionediting.

I will definitly continue with development and maybe I can even use BIS eden editor to MBs advantage. I hope they solved some enginelimitations with there editor I stumpled upon my development. I am not at home till friday inspecting eden have to wait ;)

And as always: please post all bugs, feedback, ideas and wishes about Map Builder here! Especially with eden out now I hope to get some nice new ideas and inspiration from you guys!

• Like 1

Looks like there was a problem with latest dev pbo. I juste jump in the train to get home and fix the problem!

Looks like there was a problem with latest dev pbo. I juste jump in the train to get home and fix the problem!

Unable to reproduce reports, that the Map Builder Module is not shown. Make sure you are running A3 Stable (A3 Dev seems be pretty broken since last week).

Release candidate for 0.9 (RC1) is available at http://wiki.map-builder.info/w/Downloads#Release_Candidates

Full changelog here: http://wiki.map-builder.info/w/Changelog_0.9

If no one reports a serious bug, I will prepare the full 0.9 release tomorrow and then start with the 1.0 branch (which will have some awesome new stuff)

• Like 1

SQM

SQM is not as exact (from the engine site) as I hoped. Could you try a sqf export also and check if the objects have the same displacement?

SQM is not as exact (from the engine site) as I hoped. Could you try a sqf export also and check if the objects have the same displacement?

ok. SQF is the same

ok. SQF is the same

The angle gets rounded by the engine. I will try to solve it, but not until 1.0 development versions (Soonâ„¢)

The angle gets rounded by the engine. I will try to solve it, but not until 1.0 development versions (Soonâ„¢)

No problem man. Take your time :lol:

Map Builder 0.9 released. 

You can find the download here: http://wiki.map-builder.info/w/Downloads

(0.9 is equal to the 0.9 RC1 download published two days ago).

You can find the full changelog between 0.8 and 0.9 here: http://wiki.map-builder.info/w/Changelog_0.9

I will now start working on the version 1.0 branch. I have some really fancy ideas for the next version and I also want to incorporate some engine features/changes the recent release of the EDEN Editor introduced into to ArmA3.

Also keep the feedback coming! And maybe someone wants to share some compositions and brushes with us.

• Like 1

Today editing, I found "bug" if you can call it that.

So you see in the Map Builder editor:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/617347983770787087/AC0A32A77CB279FDF72395146CD4CB3551D9B161/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/617347983770786296/071DF64EAFBA28759D983F3414A7DBC7EAE9B8A0/

And template done:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/617347983770785487/B00A885654D010E8B58D5D362168B95D3B02A783/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/617347983770784515/EEFDAA13CCDE243E0FE5B5829F7B5853316D5E95/

After comparing these, it looks like the biggest offender seems like the fence there is wanting to 'push' away the rod thing and the tire, and it seems like a number of the objects in the final version are sunk a bit as well.

I'm not completely sure, but I wondered if a SetPos GetPos in objects Init field may possibly remedy this, if it is a collision issue, I can't seem to dig up anything right now but I thought that was at least the old way of editor placement of objects that, without that init code, would get bumped away from eachother :This SetPos [GetPos This select 0,GetPos This select 1,GetPos This select 2]; or for height changes This SetPos [GetPos This select 0,GetPos This select 1,(GetPos This select 2) + 1]; Vector can go wacky too if it is not pre-set to at least 0 angle depending on the terrain. I've never had issues with direction, although I have seen examples of people using it as well to correct any oddities. So, in a case where no height change is needed from the SetPos and no Vector changes have been set to the object, this should be right I think:

This SetDir (GetDir This);

This SetPos [GetPos This select 0,GetPos This select 1,GetPos This select 2];

This  setVectorUp [0,0,1];

Neo is probably either aware of this or even doing all of this already in the code, I just wanted to mention for the sake of 'in case' it may have been missed.

After comparing these, it looks like the biggest offender seems like the fence there is wanting to 'push' away the rod thing and the tire, and it seems like a number of the objects in the final version are sunk a bit as well.

I'm not completely sure, but I wondered if a SetPos GetPos in objects Init field may possibly remedy this, if it is a collision issue, I can't seem to dig up anything right now but I thought that was at least the old way of editor placement of objects that, without that init code, would get bumped away from eachother :This SetPos [GetPos This select 0,GetPos This select 1,GetPos This select 2]; or for height changes This SetPos [GetPos This select 0,GetPos This select 1,(GetPos This select 2) + 1]; Vector can go wacky too if it is not pre-set to at least 0 angle depending on the terrain. I've never had issues with direction, although I have seen examples of people using it as well to correct any oddities. So, in a case where no height change is needed from the SetPos and no Vector changes have been set to the object, this should be right I think:

This SetDir (GetDir This);

This SetPos [GetPos This select 0,GetPos This select 1,GetPos This select 2];

This  setVectorUp [0,0,1];

Neo is probably either aware of this or even doing all of this already in the code, I just wanted to mention for the sake of 'in case' it may have been missed.

The code is actually doing this (with some additions and ATL). I suspect an engine side rounding bug, but have to investigate it further. 

But all discrepancies seem very small. Does this also happen with EDEN? Would be a good comparison to pin down the problem.

I will definitly look into some improvements for this for 1.0.

Gotcha, thanks. I figured your code was already doing it, the thought just kept nagging at me to post that just in case after comparing the screen shots there.

I'm personally still trying to finish up my own project, as I have not actually tried MB nor Eden yet. Hopefully someone can lend you a hand there.

Found this comment in the Eden forum area, thought it might be good to know of :

I've noticed some objects not staying in their set positions. For example, a unit went deeper and deeper into the ground every time I loaded a saved mission in the editor. Or a piece of concrete was moving higher and higher with every preview / reload.

Then markers placed in Eden don't have their set direction when previewing the mission. They are displayed with the correct dir in Eden though.

And Eden is sometimes changing classnames of already placed units when I re-open their attributes again to change something. It so far only happened with mod units (so that might be the problem). Interestingly, Eden always swapped the classname with the classname the unit was inherited from in the config.

Sounds like Eden may have issues with some objects not landing exactly where they are placed in the editor as well.

Also, indications from the Eden forums area is that work done in the non-final, non-Stable branch version of Eden may not even be directly compatible with the final stable branch version, at least potentially without some form of conversion needed, and it sounds like the editor is in a pretty rough state right now, with probably a lot of updates and changes needed in the future - which at least to me, really means that the MB is the way to go, and makes the MB a much more currently reliable 3d editor.

Thanks again!

- which at least to me, really means that the MB is the way to go, and makes the MB a much more currently reliable 3d editor.

Thanks again!

You are welcome!  :yay:

Many times said, but I'd like to repeat myself: I also love Map Builder and 'd love to see it improving with every future update.

When it comes to making missions for stable, MB or X-cam are the way to go.

I started with the new UI for 1.0 today! Testing more "tool-like" navigation/dropdowns: