NeoArmageddon

Map Builder - Ingame 3D-Editor for terrain creation

Sorry but i still have the same probleme with the new version. Objects are still "misplaced".

Thanks for your feedback. You are absolutly right, I "accidentally" removed the function to store exact position values. After some tests I thought I could go without it but I haven't tested with the mapframe offset of 200000 for TB. I fixed the problem and made all other exports ultra-exact again too.

Regarding the height adjustment: The feedback for CTRL-MB was very bad so I decided to go back to the old system, which many people find more intuitive. Customization of keys is not possible at the moment, that needs some more work. You can also control pitch and roll with the objects inspector, for a more precise control.

I compiled all changes in a new release candidate:

http://map-builder.info/downloads/MapBuilder_0.7.3_RC.7z

I also moved all optional AddOns to their own Modfolders. This should help people getting the right PBOs started. For AiA add @MapBuilderAiA and for JBAD @MapBuilderJBAD.

I will compile a changelog soon.

Feedback for the RC would be highly appreciated!

Hi.

This is much better ! ;)

With v0.73RC :

Sidewalks are align but not all of them follow the terrain elevation ([CTRL+T] + some height adjustment) once exported.

Also objects with a modified pitch do not export correctly = if i change the pitch via the object inspector and set it to 90; it does export in TB with a pitch of 90 (as expected) but the result in terrain builder isn't right (see screens below)

Somehow the rotation point do not seems to be the same in TB and A3 (however im not in expert, could be something totaly different)

Screens : MapBuilder : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-fr0rkPVKmKS2Z2RU1qUVktaGc/view?usp=sharing

TerrainBuilder : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-fr0rkPVKmKd0VUX1FWZERPVUk/view?usp=sharing

Project File : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-fr0rkPVKmKSlBCakNKUmc1TGc/view?usp=sharing

Export File : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-fr0rkPVKmKSlBCakNKUmc1TGc/view?usp=sharing

Hope this will help.

Thank you.

Somehow the rotation point do not seems to be the same in TB and A3 (however im not in expert, could be something totaly different)

Jep, I saw that too. I don't know if there is a good way around it. Rotating objects is a problem in buldozer too, so I suspect BIS is inconsistent here.

Could you check the pitch, bank and yaw of your imported objects directly in terrainbuilder and compare them with exported values?

Excuse me, do you know if it's possible to put roads on the altis map ? And also do you think i can put buildings etc of arma 2 on an arma 3 map (altis) ?

Terrain builder : Pitch : 90; Roll : 179.972; Yaw : 71.891;

MapBuilder/ExportFile : Pitch : 90; Roll : 0; Yaw : 251.891;

In terrain builder to have the correct (not totally accurate, kinda hard to perfectly align anything with buldozer) orientation, pitch must be something like 340.495; Roll : 91.602; Yaw 88.675

Uff... finally... here is 0.8... I think my eyes are bleeding:

http://www.map-builder.info/downloads/MapBuilder_0.8.7z

Most notable in this update:

All CTD should be fixed know (BIS is to blame for their dialog objects!).

Restructured the objects/Addons/packages. It should be more clear now which Addon to use for vanilla/AiA/JBAD etc.

All objects in "A3 Vanilla" can be used without adding AddOn dependencies to your exports!

A favorite object list!

A List with all used objects!

A lot of Multiplayer improvements. Thanks to ItsDonJon for testing.

Freelook is now on middle mouse button.

Heightadjustment is back on left + right mouse button.

Zoom with mousewheel.

Exports are exact again.

New project file fromat.

General improvements and bugfixes.

I also started writing a documentation. It is not complete yet:

http://map-builder.info/manual/mb_manual_0.8.pdf

Changelog 0.8

Added some brusher functions (not ready yet).

Removed unused XML functions.

Fixed object selection when list has null objects.

Some adjustments in viewport/selection/objects in preparation for brusher.

Added null check and scaling.

Added (yet unused) info popup.

Moved used window a little bit.

Added favorites.

Implemented new project filetype for advanced saving capabilities.

Added favorites to project file.

Added fallback for old project files.

Changed 3D preview to real objects instead of dialog objects and added RTT window.

Increased versionnumber.

Fixed a bug in counting objects for mission.sqm-export (resulting in faulty exports).

Fixed a switched if case in check for project backwarts compability.

Removed uncommon addon reference.

Removed recursive backup duplication.

Added middle mouse button work around.

Freelook is now in middle mouse button.

Added zoom to mousewheel.

Removed unused/broken icons.

Removed some redundant stuff from A3 upgrade.

Added new A3 upgrades that makes all scope=1 A3 objects accessible.

Added new mapbuilder_library and mapbuilder_displayname to all CfgVehicleClasses.

Preview arrow should now disappear in most cases.

Preventing MB from starting on dedicated server (breaks server).

Readded function for exact position and changed position data source to obj variables.

Made all exports exact again.

Added boolean sync parameters to selfupdating functions to prevent feedbackloops in multiplayer (Thanks to ItsDonJon for helping with testing).

Renamed mapbuilder_filter to mapbuilder_library and added fallback.

Added mapbuilder_displayname (configvalue) to have different names for 2D editor and MapBuilder e.g. "MB A3 Rocks" in Editor and "A3 -> Rocks" in MapBuilder.

Added mapbuilder_objEval (configvalue). This expression is parsed for every object before getting written to a library. This prevents for example A2 Rocks to be listet in A3 -> Rocks (they have the same vehicleclass as AiA overwrites them).

When inspecting (only) the inspected objects is selected.

Improved selection and deselection with faster array commands.

Removed some debug output.

Added more playable characters and made them CIV.

Added first iteration of documentation.

Added missing DIK defines.

Library is now sorted.

Library is open from the start.

Readded seperate pitch and bank control.

Added check for missing scale in presets.

Added scale to preset.

Increased version to 0.8.

Restructured addons.

Made selection of objects underwater possible. Moving objects when the cam is underwater is not possible yet.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Excuse me, do you know if it's possible to put roads on the altis map ? And also do you think i can put buildings etc of arma 2 on an arma 3 map (altis) ?

Sure you can place A2 buildings on Altis, when you use AllInArmA Terrain pack and @MapBuilderAiA

Roads are not possible (yet).

Terrain builder : Pitch : 90; Roll : 179.972; Yaw : 71.891;

MapBuilder/ExportFile : Pitch : 90; Roll : 0; Yaw : 251.891;

Thank you very much. I will see if I can create a workaround somehow. Objects with small pitch/bank seem to work fine.

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

I could also need some upvotes for this tickets:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23427

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23426

Thanks for informing us about the new release :cool:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thank's for UPDATE !!!

Great work :D

But i have a probleme with my project :s

I have take my project in the old MapBuilder (7.2) folder and i have copy/paste into the new version folder (8.0).

Picture :

In 7.2 :

http://i.imgur.com/6skD6J2.jpg (588 kB)

and

http://i.imgur.com/7Fssrzn.jpg (601 kB)

After update 8.0 :

http://i.imgur.com/77rpkid.jpg (486 kB)

http://i.imgur.com/YtealPE.jpg (613 kB)

Are you a solution about this please ? :s

Thanck you

I removed some duplicated items from the configs. Looks like you used the non A3 one. You can use the @MapBuilder addon folder from version and all objects should work with the 0.8 mission.

When you start a new project switch back to the new @MapBuilder folder.

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

In terrain builder to have the correct (not totally accurate, kinda hard to perfectly align anything with buldozer) orientation, pitch must be something like 340.495; Roll : 91.602; Yaw 88.675

Found the problem. Exported pitch and bank values are in object space, but TB wants them in global space. That should be easy to solve with some math.

P.S. Who want to write a function to convert pitch and bank from object to global space? ^^

Edited by NeoArmageddon

I believe that it may have more to do with the rotation/set direction of the objects. See DR_Eyeball's second post in the wiki:modelToWorld

The reason I think this is that the following screenshots show the same scene (from different angles) containing two airport lamps and some wall sections (Note: I have used Vanilla objects). The 5 uppermost items (1 airport light and 4 wall sections) have not had there direction changed, though I have changed the pitch of the light and two of the wall sections. The lower three items (1 airport light and 2 wall sections) have had their pitch changed as well as their direction. On import Terrain Builder does not alter the uppermost items but changes the direction and/or pitch of the lower ones completely.

Map Builder

Terrain Builder

This is the export from Map Builder:

"lampairport_off_f";206008.290039;5890.140137;0;45;0;1;0
"lampairport_off_f";205996.450195;5885.75;270;45;0;1;0
"city_4m_f";206008.240234;5876.0200195;0;90;0;1;2
"city_4m_f";205997.275879;5882.239746;270;45;0;1;0
"city2_4m_f";206009.126465;5882.257813;0.303948;0;0;1;0
"city2_4m_f";206009.132324;5880.237793;0;90;0;1;1.61499
"city2_4m_f";206009.0952148;5878.366699;0.303948;0;0;1;0
"city2_4m_f";205998.180176;5877.640137;270;45;0;1;0

I know it is not a solution but hope this helps?

I know it is not a solution but hope this helps?

Everything helps!

But you can also set a specific pitch/bank in TB and then rotate the object and you will see, that the pitch an bank in TB is applied after rotation and not prior. That is the main cause of this. In the pictures you postet, the one lamp is rotated differently (by about 90°) and you see in TB upon import that it is also turned by 90° but before pitch and bank is applied.

@Neo

If you are using setVectorDirAndUp you should always be in global space unless the object you are manipulating is attached to another one.

Could you explain more what you have found?

@Neo

If you are using setVectorDirAndUp you should always be in global space unless the object you are manipulating is attached to another one.

Could you explain more what you have found?

You are absolutly right, but for the export I have to convert the vectorDirAndUp to local space. Now I have to add a function that is not converting it to local space but keeps it in global space. Should be not that hard, but I will visit my parents today, so I am currently packing my computer. I should manage to fix this problem by tomorrow.

what if you use vectorDirVisual and vectorUpVisual for the export, should be in world space and render time scope. (if you are not already using them)

E: why were you converting it to local space?

in the context of islands only global (world) space would make sense to me

Edited by Lappihuan

E: why were you converting it to local space?

in the context of islands only global (world) space would make sense to me

I am storing it as pitch/bank and yaw in euler angles in the scripts. Those angles are converted to a vector when the object is updated. This has to do with how you change pitch and bank of the objects. They are manipulated in object, not in global space because it is more intuitive.

The most functions are in the mb_objectFunctions.sqf if you want to have a look yourself.

I am storing it as pitch/bank and yaw in euler angles in the scripts. Those angles are converted to a vector when the object is updated. This has to do with how you change pitch and bank of the objects. They are manipulated in object, not in global space because it is more intuitive.

The most functions are in the mb_objectFunctions.sqf if you want to have a look yourself.

Hi Neo,

I have the same problem with the X-Cam, and that's the reason to release the X-Cam 1.0

without this functionality.

I've tried many things, but without to find a solution. So, u r not alone ;-)

Greetings

Silola

I've tried many things, but without to find a solution. So, u r not alone ;-)

Glad to hear that I am not the only one that suffers from BI inconsistence...

But I already have an idea how to solve the problem. I just can't test it right now :(

I have a problem with:

when I am exporting "rocks, trees, busches etc." its is in SQF code but it never wont to transfer to our server. No object of this kind cant be transported to life server? Or what we must do?

Sorry bad english

Edited by ANubisx84

I have a problem with:

when I am exporting "rocks, trees, busches etc." its is in SQF code but it never wont to transfer to our server. No object of this kind cant be transported to life server? Or what we must do?

Sorry bad english

Have you read the manual? When you use non "Vanilla" objects, you need the @MapBuilderXXX addons where you want to use sqf and sqm exports.

Have you read the manual? When you use non "Vanilla" objects, you need the @MapBuilderXXX addons where you want to use sqf and sqm exports.

Thanks for answer. But I dont understand what exactly I need to do. Can you add me in skype?

(we are running epoch server)

Edited by ANubisx84

Okay, so I got it working with ease, however, am I able to create grass and or work from the VR to my own map ? I know I can't shape the terrain, but is it possible to turn the vr into a world ?

I able to create grass and or work from the VR to my own map ? I know I can't shape the terrain, but is it possible to turn the vr into a world ?

Grass: No, because that is a texture painting task.

Terrain: It is explained in the readme, frontpage and manual.

Ya I caught that after. Decided to start terrain making actually. Going through the painful process of learning it now XD

Got all the tools and such working. Got your stuff working too. Nice work by the way!