Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Pushing different objects up against each other etc...

Hi,

As I want to be able to have a set of objects to build various say, factory layouts around my map, I will be building sections of piping, sections of factory high walls and different factory buildings.

Now, some of these will obviously be enterable (buildings), so what's the situation when it comes to pushing say a piping object up against one of the factory walls? Or say, pushing two different buildings right up against one another?

As long as I don't block a doorway, is this ok? I mean for players maybe catching on the edges of GEOlods or something?

Can I put little snap points into the model to make this totally accurate too?

Also, I'll be modelling some of those lovely STALKERish pipelines that go all over the map, so I have decided to model them in two parts- the base and the actual pipe. This way I can place the base down, then put the piping onto it and rotate it to any direction- is this fine to do, sort of "floating" the piping on top of the base? I mean, will it fall off or something if you see what I mean?

Guys, if there's any potential problems with any of this stuff, I'd love to hear about it...

Marc

PS- also, thinking about it, BI routinely push rocks through each other to form huge rock face areas etc, and there's no flickering of visual mesh- so is this also an accepted way to do things, for say a set of piping being pushed through the side of a factory wall?

Edited by meshcarver

buildings are not physx objects, they cant fall down or anything like that

For the overlapping building's you should be using a roadway LOD which is slightly above the geometry, extends past the geometry and visual lods slightly, and if there is an issue with catching, taper the edges down so when they meet it forms a small V shape