james2464

Kunduz, Afghanistan [10km] v1.20

Thanks for the update James! Kunduz is a lovely map and hopefully you will be able to tweak the lighting to fit the scenery like pre 1.60. Just tried 1.20.2 and it looks nice day time, some grass and rocks are quite dark and stands out at dawn/dusk but I guess you already knows that :)

Thanks again!

/KC

Found a bug where if AI is in this bush, they are immune to bullets

Grid ref; 049040

i would assume to test just place AI in this bush(es) and test shooting at them  :)

I'm having issues with spawning from MCC and respawn in Zeus whereby items are floating in mid air or stuck in the ground.

KUNDUZ UPDATE

Hey guys, I have decided to donate the Kunduz source files to CUP. This will provide more variety of buildings, building destruction, small enhancements and bug fixes for other similar terrains as well.

Kunduz can now be freely modified and updated within CUP and into the future for Arma 4. ;)

Expect to see the next release of Kunduz in CUP TP:

• Like 25

KUNDUZ UPDATE

Hey guys, I have decided to donate the Kunduz source files to CUP. This will provide more variety of buildings, building destruction, small enhancements and bug fixes for other similar terrains as well.
Kunduz can now be freely modified and updated within CUP and into the future for Arma 4. ;)

Expect to see the next release of Kunduz in CUP TP:

Thank you Sir!

• Like 3

That's really amazing and pretty unprecedented. I hope this sets and example for other map makers in the future that the player base really adores these terrains a lot, and are excited knowing we'll be able to play them with support for years and years to come.

Thanks James.

• Like 1

After the arma update we are not able to open doors on Kunduz. 

After the arma update we are not able to open doors on Kunduz. 

Just another way for BIS to shit on their players and modders, unfortunately. I don't think we'll see this map back in Arma 3 and working unless BIS will take action and unfuck whatever the did to the door functions. The creator is M.I.A. 106 days, and nobody else have the terrain files to fix it, which is sad because this was a epic terrain :-( 

Relax. James donated this to CUP. I have no inside info but I'd wager we'll see it fully working in the next CUP Terrains update.

That may very well be, however I'd rather see this terrain remain a stand-alone terrain instead of making it a part of a fucking huge download, where you only use 25% of the terrains anyway because they're not really worth it, just saying. 

• Like 2

That may very well be, however I'd rather see this terrain remain a stand-alone terrain instead of making it a part of a fucking huge download, where you only use 25% of the terrains anyway because they're not really worth it, just saying. 

This has been addressed before, but CUP really isn't a "fucking huge download", because if we didn't have CUP every map an author released would have to have the assets packed with it, meaning that every download would be bigger, and you'd be downloading redundant assets, and if an author went missing or lost interest, the map would eventually stop working completely after patches. James2464 donating the map to CUP guarantees that it's not going to eventually die like the many orphaned Arma 3 community maps so far. And 11GB really isn't all that much, it's less then half the size of the average AAA game download.   

• Like 1

I don't see any sense in having this discussion.

If CUP didn't offer to adopt the terrain it would have been abandoned. That's why he gave it to them. Because he was done.

• Like 3

This has been addressed before, but CUP really isn't a "fucking huge download", because if we didn't have CUP every map an author released would have to have the assets packed with it, meaning that every download would be bigger, and you'd be downloading redundant assets, and if an author went missing or lost interest, the map would eventually stop working completely after patches. James2464 donating the map to CUP guarantees that it's not going to eventually die like the many orphaned Arma 3 community maps so far. And 11GB really isn't all that much, it's less then half the size of the average AAA game download.   

In fairness, 11GB is pretty huge to those with limited Bandwidth, and poor internet speeds ;)

I kind of see where the poster is coming from, CUP Terrains to me at 11GB is pretty huge, for me, anything over 5GB would be classed as huge, personally I love the Kunduz map, I'm pretty sure that's about 1.5GB as a standalone, where CUP could really come into it's own is selecting the terrains you want/don't want, the problem nowadays is that most customs maps are starting to become CUP dependent, it's a double edged sword, you have very little choice but to download it, if the map you like will be dependent on it.

There's a case for both sides here.

But if maps weren't CUP dependent, they'd need to package assets within the download, which means a larger filesize per map and a lot of redundant data if your running multiple maps (which many units do). Plus making Arma 3 quality, fully accessible buildings is a lot of work, and map makers aren't necessarily also 3D artists and there's not really many structure packs out there beyond CUP (JBAD is soon to be rolled into CUP apparently). I think the people grumbling about CUP need to recognize that, as it is, it's either CUP or nothing but generic Mediterranean islands.      

• Like 2

But if maps weren't CUP dependent, they'd need to package assets within the download, which means a larger filesize per map and a lot of redundant data if your running multiple maps (which many units do). Plus making Arma 3 quality, fully accessible buildings is a lot of work, and map makers aren't necessarily also 3D artists and there's not really many structure packs out there beyond CUP (JBAD is soon to be rolled into CUP apparently). I think the people grumbling about CUP need to recognize that, as it is, it's either CUP or nothing but generic Mediterranean islands.      

Oh I hear you 10 x 10, like I said, it's double edged sword, I have CUP terrains, out of the 14-15 maps or so, there's none I really frequent, there's a few I really like, but I stick to the likes of Clafghan and Kunduz, but you're right, as it stands, it's CUP or eventually a map that's no longer updated..

• Like 2

In fairness, 11GB is pretty huge to those with limited Bandwidth, and poor internet speeds ;)

That's about the size of the 1.66 patch... :) 

That's about the size of the 1.66 patch... :)

when you're on dev branch the updates can be 4-5GB in size due to them still being EBO's that soon saps your monthly allowance too ;)

KUNDUZ UPDATE

Hi everyone, I am releasing the source files. Feel free to do what you wish. :D

I encourage others to do the same.

Link: https://mega.nz/#!aZMSVYKb

Key: !ydhGqnVW2H4CtfWe3cJCZBdMnHrZr0MG4M9rNmZMDTk

J

23 minutes ago, eh chaser said:

Doesnt sound like cup integration anymore?!

What makes you think that? If the CUP's team also have the source files, then there's no reason other than they don't desire to add it to their collection.

Several posters complained about it being integrated into CUP's, well........now there's nothing to stop them from doing what they want at their pace and leisure now the source files have been released is there? :wink_o:

People are complaining about anything and everytime in terms of..."YOU (modders) HAVE TO F*CKING GIVE ME MY TOY NOWWW"

imo it is better to have the source files stored in one hand... otherwise it is possible to have multiple versions of the same map.

Regards

Chaser

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, eh chaser said:

People are complaining about anything and everytime in terms of..."YOU (modders) HAVE TO F*CKING GIVE ME MY TOY NOWWW"

imo it is better to have the source files stored in one hand... otherwise it is possible to have multiple versions of the same map.

Regards

Chaser

Pretty much spot on, the pressure on modders these days to deliver a product done out of their own time, and passion, and dedication is overlooked by so many these days.

The complainers simply don't realise or understand that feeling of burned out, I've been there and done that oh so many times since the first time I picked up PS and 3ds max over 15 or so years back. 

It's almost impossible to please all of the people all of the time.

I can feel where James is at with the Kunduz map, he deserves a break without the pressure of trying to make everyone happy.

• Like 1

Absolutely right...

As i told in other threads before..after one and a half years of hard work on Taunus and placing about 5.8 m objects with the team, everybody feels like stinky old boots after walking trough the desert..

And if one day (when it's done!) taunus will be released..nobody will think about the countless months (not hours or days) we spend on forming it

But i think..now back to topic :f:

• Like 2