james2464

Kunduz, Afghanistan [10km] v1.20

They are on it ;)

AWESOME!!!! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks for the effort mate its real quality.

Awesome video!

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Next Update Details

Fix any floating rocks/vegetation

Fix any heightmap issues

Fix any compound issues

Add door opening and closing sounds

Add a nice afghan vehicle bridge

Tweak object placement finesse

Tweak & add more roads

In regards to the file size:

You're getting really good value per Mb because all the buildings and vegetation have been upgraded to Arma 3 standards by the JBAD mod which will eventually become part of CUP.

This means you have easy access to doors, unique destruction, glass windows, updated rvmats(lighting), physx lods etc. I am also able to fix any legacy bugs to comply with current/future A3 features. No other terrain is currently doing this.

To put it simply AiA TP is a great middle stone but I didn't want a predictable outcome in regards to object features and I didn't want any undesirable issues that couldn't be fixed because I don't have access to the source. I wanted to aim higher for a better quality but that comes at a cost, in the future I will change the dependency to CUP. I assumed 12 months ago CUP would take time and i'd try to make the terrain standalone.

If you can't play Kunduz because of the size then I am sorry.

Edited by James2464
  • Like 1

just ported a mission over to this map and have to say blows me out of the water nice work really

This map is amazing -i first tried it on release.is the whole area done now?at launch it was only 50% covered.Thanks again !

Fair play on the explanation on size. Looking forward to your hard work appearing in CUP Terrain!

James, wsa going to ask about reporting issues, but sounds like you're aware for the next update, nice!

BTW, i can understand others opinions about map sizes, but c'mon people, its freaking 2015. Bandwidth and harddrives are pennies no a days. What i love about the standalone is as other 3rd party files get update (or not), it will not affect your design and map. I say keep it this way. You never know what issues the other dependencies will/could create in the future and just like it happened with AiA where DEV left it, i would hate to see this map affected by things like that. i vote standalone! :)

BTW, i can understand others opinions about map sizes, but c'mon people, its freaking 2015. Bandwidth and harddrives are pennies no a days.

Not everyone in the word has fibre with no data caps...

Some people are stuck with tiny data caps with sh*tty corroding copper lines.

It's not just that but when your unit's mod pack size is already nearing 10gb, you have to do everything you can to stop it further expanding to the point new recruits are put off by such a huge download just to play with you.

Adding 10% of your modpack size for a single map is a hard pill to swallow for some.

I personally, 1000% support the decision from the author the map to be standalone.

Until there is CUP_terrains with a better system for using a2 assets, at a usable and improved quality, I think that this is defintley the best choice.

Cant try the new terrain update currently, but im looking forward to it, looks like great work

For now, standalone maps are really what arma needs.

Edited by MikeTim

It's not just that but when your unit's mod pack size is already nearing 10gb, you have to do everything you can to stop it further expanding to the point new recruits are put off by such a huge download just to play with you.

Adding 10% of your modpack size for a single map is a hard pill to swallow for some.

Then you need to make a decision as to whether or not it is worth it to you/your community to use it.

Catering to the lowest common denominator is a sure path to mediocrity.

I personally, 1000% support the decisions for the map to be standalone.

+1 I think the same.

I support 100% standalone terrains. :cool:

On a wider note, really nice terrain. IMHO probably could use a bit of polishing. For instance the big tower seems to have a bugged shadow and some objects have a really obvious pattern ( trucks, trees and fields ).

But it's a really enjoyable map and I'm convinced I'll sink dozens of hours in it.

A bit thank you to the creator :)

Then you need to make a decision as to whether or not it is worth it to you/your community to use it.

Catering to the lowest common denominator is a sure path to mediocrity.

There isn't really a decision for us to make, we simply can't add a 1.1GB map that's only 5x5km. So we won't even consider using it until there is a version that uses AiA or CUP. Which is a shame because it is an extremely nice map.

Edited by PhoenixSPM

Don't get it if some one is using the map or not who cares I don't map is nice and stand alone what is good

This map is nucking futs!! I really like what you've created here, I've been using Kunduz since you first released the unfinished version and I really love what you've added to your complete version now. I'm a huge fan of real world places, especially middle eastern themed maps. What you've created here is brilliant. Thanks for your hard work and countless hours you've poured into this, it was well worth it and paid off big time in my opinion. Well done!

There isn't really a decision for us to make, we simply can't add a 1.1GB map that's only 5x5km. So we won't even consider using it until there is a version that uses AiA or CUP. Which is a shame because it is an extremely nice map.

Of course there is a decision - you just explained it yourself. You and your community can't afford to use it, so you won't. I don't understand why you value raw acreage over detail, or why you can't use it until it requires a mod 7-8 times larger with outdated assets, but those are your decisions as well.

or why you can't use it until it requires a mod 7-8 times larger with outdated assets, but those are your decisions as well.

Probably because they already use it and it'd cut down on file size dramatically making it a non-issue.

I don't understand why you value raw acreage over detail

Replayability. A larger map will generally have more replay value than a smaller map.

or why you can't use it until it requires a mod 7-8 times larger with outdated assets

We are an Australian based unit. That means our internet is more expensive, has lower data caps, and slower speeds.

Our admins decided that AiA was worth its enormous file size.

However, we can't justify adding a map that contains 1GB of duplicate assets with questionable replay value.

When James releases Kunduz with CUP assets (which he said he would do HERE) then, if we have switched to CUP, we may be able to add it (and I hope we do because I love this map).

dam I look ever where and I can't find the last tunnel,i know where the old one are and I found one of the new in ker shek

When James releases Kunduz with CUP assets (which he said he would do HERE) then, if we have switched to CUP, we may be able to add it (and I hope we do because I love this map).

It could be 6 to 12 months before CUP is ready.

dam I look ever where and I can't find the last tunnel,i know where the old one are and I found one of the new in ker shek

Keep looking hehe :) PM me if you give up.

FYI everyone there are also building based bunkers - something you can't get from AiA ;)

http://i.imgur.com/ot8OEQJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/lm69wkR.png

Goodluck finding these ones, not every house like this has the bunker.

Spent a bit of time kicking around - certainly enjoying the map! :D

Some feedback for you, mate.

- It would seem that some of the garbage piles (the ones with blue and black bags) are a bit off the ground. A good example is in the compound at GS 039 005 (X: 3953 Y: 577 - central Shek Ka) - you can see the paper rubbish casting a shadow on the ground.

- There's a very floaty garbage pile at GS 038 004, (X: 3884 Y: 448) also clipping through a compound wall.

- There's a ladder a bit detached from its building at GS 037 006 (X: 3783 Y: 654 - N of Shek Ka).

- AI can see through the wheat fields and engage you from the prone position (fields I played around in - GS 050 036). Let me know if an example mission is required.

- At the moment there are no positions to place AI within houses, for example, on roofs.

- A bit of an odd one - looks like you can see AO maps through this box.

AOPenetration.jpg

Regarding the issues with houses and objects - are these things you can solve or is it likely that this particular issue will be addressed by a future CUP asset update?

I'll keep wandering and you let know what I see. Cheers again for the hard work.

Spent a bit of time kicking around - certainly enjoying the map! :D

Some feedback for you, mate.

- It would seem that some of the garbage piles (the ones with blue and black bags) are a bit off the ground. A good example is in the compound at GS 039 005 (X: 3953 Y: 577 - central Shek Ka) - you can see the paper rubbish casting a shadow on the ground.

- There's a very floaty garbage pile at GS 038 004, (X: 3884 Y: 448) also clipping through a compound wall.

- There's a ladder a bit detached from its building at GS 037 006 (X: 3783 Y: 654 - N of Shek Ka).

- AI can see through the wheat fields and engage you from the prone position (fields I played around in - GS 050 036). Let me know if an example mission is required.

- At the moment there are no positions to place AI within houses, for example, on roofs.

- A bit of an odd one - looks like you can see AO maps through this box.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/CameronMcDonald/AOPenetration.jpg

Regarding the issues with houses and objects - are these things you can solve or is it likely that this particular issue will be addressed by a future CUP asset update?

I'll keep wandering and you let know what I see. Cheers again for the hard work.

Thanks for the feedback, those issues will be fixed in the next update :)

Yes I can solve the issues with houses and objects as I have the source files so please feel free to report anything.

Many thanks to the PR team for sharing this map, it's beautiful :cancan:

Or like me are limited to mobile BB (the majority of the world population, btw - look it up on itu.int). I for one am glad to see different terrains that are standalone for A3.

Rotten old copper to where I live is ~3km long aand runs through a wooded area. Voice quality is crap so generally we use mobile. Couldn't even get v90bis speeds in an ADSL2 trial :banghead:

Edited by Orcinus
Corrected domain forthe ITU

Now that i think of it I know of a spot in a compound next to a couple of stones next to a house that if you get in between the stones and the wall that trying

to jump or get out of there will kill you, ill post a screenshot of the location when i get ingame next.

But its the biggest compound on the map in the south on the hill next to the road, and across from the "church" temple what have you, theres a house with some big

ass stones behind it, thats the house im referring to, i got stuck behind them trying to avoid incoming fire and ended up getting killed because i tried to climb the stone or go around them.