Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Is fine to place models on new map that have no RESLODS?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to find time to now just plough through modelling all the assets I'll need for NOVA ZONA- and so I've decided to take the minimalist approach and JUST model and texture say, a house- but, I will not at this point do the time sink LODs like 5-7 versions of resolution lodding for example.

Now, if I do this, then place all these (Unreslodded) structures onto a new terrain, when I DO eventually make the reslods, will I have to hand by hand replace all of the structures or can I simply update a "database" of my structures somewhere that'll update all of them across the terrain?

Sorry for the daft question, but if I'm ever to make NOVA ZONA a reality, I believe this is the most productive way for me to do it as I will see more visual progress faster this was and that helps me keep my motivation up as time is so f&*(^g scarce...

thanks lads,

Marc

There's no problem with doing it the way you describe, as long as the p3d file names and directories stay the same as they are when you place them on your map. The terrain file just calls to the p3ds and takes any content that's in there, so as the p3d gets updated the terrain automatically updates those objects as well. That said, the buildings won't actually be usable in game at all until you do the hard boring work of making all the different LODs that are needed for a functioning building(Geo/roadway/path/etc).

Thanks man, that answers my questions... :)

Aye, I'll be doing all the other LODS, but I just don't want to "waste" time right now on making 5-7 RESLODs per object whilst I churn out content...

Thanks again Animander

I understand you intend to make all of the necessary RESLODS eventually, as you mentioned in your original post, but the LODS I mentioned are not RESLODS, but rather other types of LODS that are also needed. The term RESLODS refers only to the LODS that you can see in game that have decreasing resolution as you get further away, but there are other types of LODS that are invisible that are needed too. Just want to make sure that you're aware of these other LODS you need, and hopefully just misusing the term RESLODS to refer to all LODS and not just the specific type.

Hi again,

yes, I'm aware of the difference between RESlods and other lods mate- thanks for taking the time to get back to me on this..! :)