RozekPoland

OFP/ACWA - facts | myths | findings | experiments | prototypes | tutorials | protection

I wanted this script to be pure vanilla at first (no addons or anything like that but OFC that's impossible) but in mods you can bind CTRL + S with some animation you want to set then that means if we put that to some animation we made like ActivateJump then if we use AnimChanged eventhandler to detect ActivateJump then we can activate the script.

I also try to make my scripts very optimized even though some times if someone else reads they might not understand xD

And about hiding new actions are you talking about scripted actions like : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addAction_TKOH

Or the ones that is hard-coded inside the game like "Put weapon on back" and "Salute"?

1 more thing please add me on steam I want to talk more about climbing script and my user name is Alex_Mercer_1479

On 2/8/2018 at 8:13 AM, prototype1479 said:

I wanted this script to be pure vanilla at first (no addons or anything like that but OFC that's impossible) but in mods you can bind CTRL + S with some animation you want to set then that means if we put that to some animation we made like ActivateJump then if we use AnimChanged eventhandler to detect ActivateJump then we can activate the script.

I suppose you mean SHIFT+S (as CTRL is default fire key). Yes, that's one of new possibilities thanks to 1.99 EH AnimChanged. I prefer non-scripted solutions for vaulting/climbing-over-fences as players are aware of obstacles on their way and they can choose themselves what animation should play to get over it. Climbing on buildings is quite different kind of thing. It's not real-warfare-like situation you would see on the battlefield. It reminds me of Ninja Addon though. Can be very useful in some specific missions.

And about hiding new actions are you talking about scripted actions like : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addAction_TKOH

Or the ones that is hard-coded inside the game like "Put weapon on back" and "Salute"?

TKOH means Take On Helicopters - a separate RealVirtuality engine-based game by BI. Majority of the parameters mentioned in that entry is not available in OFP/CWA. It's not just about hiding new actions but rather showing them up when needed in appropriate moment, in a proper manner.

1 more thing please add me on steam I want to talk more about climbing script and my user name is Alex_Mercer_1479

Just send me an invite.

I've discovered it by accident. It seems the main gate of Mirov's hill complex was rescaled via island-editor. Below you can see the same object repaired with setdammage 0 reversed to its original size (of the model).

MaeY48d.pngIR6LjtI.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Reminds me of the BMPs and how the unit of measurement was mixed up.

On 2/9/2018 at 6:28 PM, JdB said:

Reminds me of the BMPs and how the unit of measurement was mixed up.

Could you tell us more about it? :smile_o:

In the early versions the size was off. Araon made it, but his reference data was in a unit of measurement that was close to but not quite centimeters but assumed it was in centimeters making it smaller than IRL. Even now it still looks off compared to addons of BMPs. Like it was scaled improperly.

Quite interesting discovery related to locality detection in multiplayer. It may have already been 'discovered'/mentioned but I would like to share it with you anyway. A basic multiplayer mission started on a dedicated server. Playing as a soldier. Next to me there is an empty tank. Entering a tank as a gunner or a commander doesn't make the tank local to you even if it's empty.

Just to remind some of you who are not aware of that - a vehicle is always local to its driver.
That's why if a driver is desynchronised or has bandwidth problems you can experience warping (especially annoying if you're inside that vehicle).

In my opinion, if there's no driver in the vehicle, it should be local to other functional crew members of the vehicle like a gunner or a commander. Instead, it's local to the server unless some player enters it as driver. What's more interesting is that if you were a tank driver and left it, the tank still would be local to you even though they may be some other players inside the tank like a gunner or a commander unless (again) somebody else enters/(or switch to) driver position.

• Like 1

Regarding the forest destruction - does it still have issues with vehicles? Or is it now somehow immune to them?

On 8.02.2018 at 8:13 AM, prototype1479 said:

you can bind CTRL + S with some animation you want to set then that means if we put that to some animation we made like ActivateJump then if we use AnimChanged eventhandler to detect ActivateJump then we can activate the script.

Now that sounds interesting!

On 8.02.2018 at 3:11 PM, RozekPoland said:

I prefer non-scripted solutions for vaulting/climbing-over-fences as players are aware of obstacles on their way and they can choose themselves what animation should play to get over it.

The (huge) drawback is that you can only have a finite number of possible key combinations, until it gets confusing or downright impossible to press at one time. Hell, even your extension of SHIFT+S to SHIFT+S+A/D was rather cumbersome. Using single combination, and a context-sensitive (or rather enviroment-sensitive) scripting is way easier to player. Not to mention that you can then add a big amount of jumping/climbing animation, tailored to specific objects. That's the second problem with most of OFP climbing animations - even though it looks like you should be able to cross that obstacle, you can't because there's minimal discrepancy between anim and the object. Using high jumps everywhere doesn't look too good either...

• Like 1

NEW FINDING!

What is https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/findIf

Doing at https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands_OFP_1.99

2 hours ago, prototype1479 said:

NEW FINDING!

What is https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/findIf

Doing at https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands_OFP_1.99

It's probably a mistake. There's no findIf command in OFP/CWA.  I've already fixed it in BIKI.

• Like 2

I found out that some Arma2-3 values may work in good old OFP, even when biki says that they are cince Arma!

It's important to back up any claim with some evidence. Exactly which "values" ( Commands?) are you talking about? :smile_o:

I am not a prof in English. What do you mean? An evidence? Hmm...

For one year i have some knowledge and i wanted to do some certain work with it. Otherwise every one will do some tests and that's it. I want a product, not just a knowledge. Not to put emprovements in your own addonpack, but do some great job to present new capabilities. Some people here knows what i am talking about, so if i'll screw up with it then they may share this information in time. 

Is it affordable to keep it in secret, or it's better to share and maybe get some feedback?

1 hour ago, Macser said:

"values" ( Commands?)

It's a config values. I was surprised that the engine can handle this by itself, without any additional scripts or patches: 1.99-1.96 compatible and maybe even earlier versions. But i want to present a product, not a source. I experimented and find the way so i feel that i earn this. In the other hand is the fact that i gain most of the info and nice addons with the help of the community so i must to share.  I will but not in the simply way. I want a feedback, a help. I wanted to share some demos and examples but i use some models that aren't mine so can't public demo. @Macser you are skilled in game modding so if you'll help i'll share with you and others, i'll be glad to, but first i want to get the job done. 

Now i'll share some minor thing that all of you may know: the ingame mine reacts to a weight. No scripts, but changing the mine model's weight can force it to react on a smaller weight, so we have antipersonnel mine. Note that it was there allways. The main thing i work on is a something that was there too, but we didn't know, yeah.

• Like 1

I thought you might've meant commands. And that if you had found some that were useful in OFP,  you might list them. But I see you were talking about config values. Although I have a lot to do myself, if you have something specific in mind, I might be able to help out.  Contact me by PM if you like. No point in bringing the thread too far off topic. :smile_o:

It's up to you whether or not you want to share information.But I'm sure anybody still playing or modding the game would be interested in any new or little known aspects of it. I assume that's the main reason Rozek started this thread.

• Like 4

How to build a proper Forest ViewGeometry (01)

What ViewGeo is according to BIKI:

The visible geometry of the model.

As an example: If you have an object with this LOD properly configured, you will not be able to spot other units through the model. AI will not be able to spot other units through the model.

AND

This LOD is used for AI view occlusion – what can the AI soldier see. It is also used for occlusion detection for scene drawing optimisation.

[...]
AI cannot see through this geometry. If you don´t model this LOD, AI will use collision geometry.

sourcehttps://community.bistudio.com/wiki/LOD#ViewGeometry; https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Oxygen_2_-_Manual#VIEW_Geometry

If you have ever wondered what problem is behind the All-Seeing AI in forests - here's something that may shed some light on this issue. In OFP/CWA forest has a separate class (forest - obviously) which features a different way of ViewGeometry calculation comparing to other classes (like house).

A typical ViewGeo of a typical model of a typical house:

iYwewsr.png?2

The ViewGeo above consists of components which aim is to block visibility in places you wouldn't normally be able to see through. Physically players can only see LODs which means that ViewGeo is mostly important for AI.

A typical ViewGeo of a typical model of a typical forest:

FnqyIZm.png?1

If the ViewGeo of the forest was built the way the house ViewGeo was there should be a number of components representing trees however there are none. Instead, you can see a huge triangle which size approximately covers the whole forest.

There's no official documentation explaining how it works. What we do know is that it's unreliable. However, there's something we can do about it.

1. Copy Geometry components to ViewGeo

1.1. Make sure you keep componentXX selections in order and avoid mixing already existing component01 selection with the one from Geometry

2. Customise height of the lower vertices of the huge triangle so they're located at the branches of the trees and not anywhere close to the ground

iiiVLRZ.png?1

3. Good job, well done! Now you've properly working ViewGeo in that forest. AI won't spot you through the trees anymore!

IN UPCOMING EPISODE(s):

1. What customisation do the forest models require to get on well with the new ViewGeo?

2. Why it's not a good idea to change forest class to house?

3. What's wrong with the Nogovan forests!?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RozekPoland said:

1.1. Make sure you keep componentXX selections in order and avoid mixing already existing component01 selection with the one from Geometry

There is an automatic option for finding and setting components.

Customise height of the lower vertices of the huge triangle so they're located at the branches of the trees and not anywhere close to the ground

How about AI's spotting abilities and air assets then? It's better to add some polys and do several occlusion objects, so AI will spot aircrafts and vice versa.

It's a good idea to do some custom forest objects. I want you to put here all the models that are in need of a tweak so anyone can take and rework it. It's easy to do but hard to find all needed models.

There's no official documentation explaining how it works. What we do know is that it's unreliable.

Even more unreliable, but the first thing i think is that this triangle may be divided to squares by the engine. It's just my tolds. The best way is to do the proper geometry. I can do it, just give it to me.

On 3/13/2018 at 11:58 PM, hitman1987 said:

How about AI's spotting abilities and air assets then? It's better to add some polys and do several occlusion objects, so AI will spot aircrafts and vice versa.

The huge triangle is also there to keep AIs from spotting air units while being in forest which is a vanilla feature. Keeping that feature is fundamental for backward-compatibility.

• Like 1

I was shared a dirt addon, wanted to do some swamps with the models but can't do the models itself)) In the beginning there was an idea to put a trigger and make the script to slow down and submerge the vehicle (lying: submersion comes in mind just now), but i hate the scripts and SoldierEPilot propose the cfgsurfaces as a solution. He is a proficient with the scripts and some others aspects of modding. Am i in the right thread for a such prototypes?

The feature is the flat object with edited cfgsurfaces parameter and proper model (just flat, textured with needed LODs), still a prototype yet. It's from my stash, i'll bring more.

On 3/14/2018 at 1:03 AM, hitman1987 said:

I was shared a dirt addon, wanted to do some swamps with the models but can't do the models itself)) In the beginning there was an idea to put a trigger and make the script to slow down and submerge the vehicle (lying: submersion comes in mind just now), but i hate the scripts and SoldierEPilot propose the cfgsurfaces as a solution. He is a proficient with the scripts and some others aspects of modding. Am i in the right thread for a such prototypes?

The feature is the flat object with edited cfgsurfaces parameter and proper model (just flat, textured with needed LODs), still a prototype yet. It's from my stash, i'll bring more.

Nice idea :smile_o: It works for me. I'm wondering if it would be possible to slow down infantry units as well. Scripts-free solutions are golden :wink_o:

20 minutes ago, RozekPoland said:

Script-free solutions are golden ;)

They are the only way for me! I swear to not code when i was sixteen. I can't even get those scripting commands.

Spoiler

I don't have to: V8S1 core's .exe is in bin/

sorry

Bye

The main weapon can fire ammunitions from slot "32" and the pistol can fire "256", that's 100% true and tested.
Theory: the way to make the disposat LAWs is to make them grenades-like(throw is the skill to use ATs) and ammo in a proper slot. Not forget to do the "spent case"-thing effect. Shoot and drop forward a spent LAW, just like this...

Rename the topic to "how to fool an engine" ;))

Nice idea

Need to go further with the swamp (not just dirt, space object with animated water, stones, plants) model. Shell impacts can be a little bulky to pass too... I want to see an addon, not a one in someone's mod but a separate one.

I wanted to know how to make a sprite to make a 3d clouds. Tere are the default clouds models, they may be changed. Cloud shadows can be added (not those squares - a huge underlaying gradiental spots "on_surface" and sprite cones to affect not just the ground, but the objects too), affects the battlefield and air combats, occludes the sun and maybe affects the rain (script connected to the model's memory point). The best way to do the rain in my opinion is to use the bullets with a tracer or "thingeffect"(i'm not a prof).

Put a default forests models MLODS here please and then some points to my reputation.

Fully modelled ViewGeo for one of forest models. AI is not able to spot you through trees or bushes. You can expect all of the forests ViewGeo fixed in tI0YPH7.png.

1VNUQvE.png?1