genesis92x

VCOM AI Driving Mod

Fascinating. The new driving AI + this mod,  and suddenly the AI is capable to drive without crashing into Stuff.

Does Asr_Ai + VComIA+VComAi-driving work together?  Are combatiable? Or is there something that will break them 

that someone knows about?

genesis92x, or someone else, do you have a demo mission, like shown the video? thanks!

Does Asr_Ai + VComIA+VComAi-driving work together?  Are combatiable? Or is there something that will break them 

that someone knows about?

If you are using ASR_AI then VCom is kinda not needed and vice versa. If I was you I would use one AI mod or the other.

Sorry for not paying attention to this topic as much as I should have...

I am making a quick post letting people know that this will no longer be maintained as Bohemia is actually giving the AI driving some love. (Wow. Never thought I would ever say that.)

Unless the AI still have massive struggles with simple tasks, I will not be returning to this mod anytime soon. Thank you all!

• Like 5

Thanks for the hard work with this Genesis. I hope they at least got some hints about it from how you did things with your driving scripts.

• Like 1

just a heads up. @Genesis92x.  I know they "did some work" on the ai driving ... but they still need your driving class. 

I have noticed that AI will run over friendlies more then ever now a days. And even though there suppose to have better pathing I still find them stuck on rocks ... and trees.. etc.. 

Please, if you can, do not drop this mod. The AI still need help driving, expecially stopping when things are in front of them... I also see a lot of cars/truck with no front wheels because they speed into obstacles..

On 11/28/2016 at 11:04 PM, lordprimate said:

just a heads up. @Genesis92x.  I know they "did some work" on the ai driving ... but they still need your driving class. 

I have noticed that AI will run over friendlies more then ever now a days. And even though there suppose to have better pathing I still find them stuck on rocks ... and trees.. etc.. 

Please, if you can, do not drop this mod. The AI still need help driving, expecially stopping when things are in front of them... I also see a lot of cars/truck with no front wheels because they speed into obstacles..

I VERY much agree

Please Genesis DO NOT DROP this mod.The new driving Bohemia introduced simply is NOT good enough.

I have observed AI drivers acting as if there was an obstacle infront of them,in middle of empty field,and going forward,back,forward back,forever.It simply isnt good enough.ESPECIALLY for wheeled vehicles who cannot benefit from rotation on tracks.

My opinion is since BIS "fixed" AI driving,they will never feel the need to look at its condition ever again in ARMA3.And if this current state of driving is what we have to play with,im afraid i will never create a combined arms mission without serious headaches.

i did quite some testing with the script version of this mod on the new Taunus map and i gotta say its alot better than bohemias driving ai (running the latest 64bit dev version). There seems to be minor issues from time to time with some new objects that were introduced with taunus. I tried checking the code but couldnt really find out how you could possible fix this on your side. maybe its a problem with the new objects, not registered correctly?    _nearestObject = nearestObject [_Position, "ALL"];  it seems like they dont get picked up by this function. i will report to taunus team aswell, maybe they can find out the problem.

Wow, it has been awhile since I stopped here... From reading a few of these posts it seems like it might be worth taking another look at this mod. I should be able to optimize it to a greater extent and improve its performance by now. I can probably schedule a weekend coming up here and hammer it out. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, genesis92x said:

Wow, it has been awhile since I stopped here... From reading a few of these posts it seems like it might be worth taking another look at this mod. I should be able to optimize it to a greater extent and improve its performance by now. I can probably schedule a weekend coming up here and hammer it out. 

Your AI scripts are among the best (if not the best). :) Having them in script form makes it easy to implement from mission to mission. Any updates/improvements are highly appriciated. :)

• Like 3

sweet. looking forward to see vcom driving in action again

I spent several hours updating/optimizing/ adding new features.

For some reason I decided to waste several more hours making this short video about it:

Mild language warning?

• Like 13

well the effort was worth it lol. nice video. also didn't realise how broken vanilla AI is in that regard.

so basically the idea is you make the driver think about can openers so hard that it numbs his intinct to sadistically kill them one by one? :don9:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bad benson said:

well the effort was worth it lol. nice video. also didn't realise how broken vanilla AI is in that regard.

so basically the idea is you make the driver think about can openers so hard that it numbs his intinct to sadistically kill them one by one? :don9:

Haha yeah - The way to get AI to actually avoid targets is rather simple...Creating a "boundary" of physics objects forces the AI to avoid them, no matter how small it is. If you want to see this, go into the editor and place a bunch of can openers, or some really small object on a road. As long as the objects have PsyX it should work. The AI will refuse to pass over these objects with their vehicles.

Since this video I have removed them from activating on units due to FPS issues. 

7 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

What Bohemia needs to start doing: instead of keep stealing modders/scripters work and ideas and release it as their own "DLC" or "feature update", they should honor guys like Genesis92x. We need some kind of "bug bounty / feature bounty" program in this game instead of retarded cinematic video awards or "the best botnet wins"-Make Arma Not War contest.

The most amazing content, features and ideas have been done by people outside of bohemia in 95/100 cases. Still it takes them years to steal the content and release it in an even worse quality. Next thing this applies: jet dlc. you can already get some mods and make your jet experience more realistic than it will be with jet dlc.

So thanks again Genesis92x and all other modders and scripters who make this game worth playin at all. Without modders and scripters this game would have not even been made in the first place.

I know that developing games is difficult, and I am happy they are finally improving the game quality, but I have been very disappointed with many of the decisions of the Bohemia team...this is not the place for this discussion but I really hope their future DLC will bring a swarm of quality of life improvements and bug fixes.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, genesis92x said:

Haha yeah - The way to get AI to actually avoid targets is rather simple...Creating a "boundary" of physics objects forces the AI to avoid them, no matter how small it is. If you want to see this, go into the editor and place a bunch of can openers, or some really small object on a road. As long as the objects have PsyX it should work. The AI will refuse to pass over these objects with their vehicles.

So the reason why many custom objects do not get recognised by driving AI is because the object has no (proper) physx setup?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

So the reason why many custom objects do not get recognised by driving AI is because the object has no (proper) physx setup?

To my knowledge, yes. It is more complex than this. Just from observation I would guess there are at least 2 branches/considerations for driving AI/AI in general. Every mission seems to have a 'node graph' (Not sure of the ArmA term) to covers the map, which tells the AI where they can and can not go. This does not seem to get updated frequently, or if at all, during a mission. The second branch of AI pathing seems to be adaptive around PhysX objects in real-time.

It sounds good in theory...except when a mission maker, or zeus, spawns in an object that is not PhysX to block a path that was previously marked as clear.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, genesis92x said:

I know that developing games is difficult, and I am happy they are finally improving the game quality, but I have been very disappointed with many of the decisions of the Bohemia team...this is not the place for this discussion but I really hope their future DLC will bring a swarm of quality of life improvements and bug fixes.

That's why we have you, so i'm not worried at all. No pressure. :f:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, genesis92x said:

To my knowledge, yes. It is more complex than this. Just from observation I would guess there are at least 2 branches/considerations for driving AI/AI in general. Every mission seems to have a 'node graph' (Not sure of the ArmA term) to covers the map, which tells the AI where they can and can not go. This does not seem to get updated frequently, or if at all, during a mission. The second branch of AI pathing seems to be adaptive around PhysX objects in real-time.

It sounds good in theory...except when a mission maker, or zeus, spawns in an object that is not PhysX to block a path that was previously marked as clear.

Great video and work! But that explanation can't be exactly correct, if you were to run a third test where there are no people in the way the vehicle would have driven up without stopping at all. It seems that the default AI is trying not to hit the infantry but does not have the necessry pathing instrcutions to do it. Your work around seems very good, the AI seems to have a much stronger adverse reaction to PhysX blockers. It seems to me that friendly infantry need to be given this stronger effect by default in addition to a "get off the road" reaction when vehicles are near and moving in their direction.

With your work what happens when the vehicle is travelling much faster? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, law-giver said:

That's why we have you, so i'm not worried at all. No pressure. :f:

Haha thanks :D 

14 hours ago, escforreality said:

Great video and work! But that explanation can't be exactly correct, if you were to run a third test where there are no people in the way the vehicle would have driven up without stopping at all. It seems that the default AI is trying not to hit the infantry but does not have the necessry pathing instrcutions to do it. Your work around seems very good, the AI seems to have a much stronger adverse reaction to PhysX blockers. It seems to me that friendly infantry need to be given this stronger effect by default in addition to a "get off the road" reaction when vehicles are near and moving in their direction.

With your work what happens when the vehicle is travelling much faster? 

This would be a nice change - having infantry simply avoid the road, and shouldn't be too difficult or CPU intensive.

If a vehicle is going full speed it is still possible to crush a friendly before it has time to slow down. This would happen mostly if the AI was walking right toward the vehicle. Currently I just have vehicles slow down when they get close to friendly AI. The closer they are, the slower they go. Of course, during combat vehicles revert back to vanilla behavior.

• Like 6

I just want to give you a pat on the back with how good this mod is. I just tried a mission on Takistan with vanilla driving and had to quit because my friendly squad couldn't get out of the damn northern base. And I'm tired of having to command my friendly drivers out of the driver's seat just so I can correct their path and fix their broken tires and engines (and having to do this every hundred meters or so!) because they hit the same object a million times.

No matter how long this update takes, it will be worth the wait. It's shameful how bad the vanilla driving is.

• Like 1

I use this in every mission that has ground vehicles, and I use it with kju's "DisableFriendlyFire Server" addon - units hit by a friendly vehicle yell, fall down then just get up & carry on with no damage. The other advantage is that it prvents the player being shot in the back by his own AI team-mates. That aspect - like driving - seems much worse than it was in A2/CO; AI really do seem to perceive friendly players hardly at all.

Vcom AI driving mod: don't leave home without it :)

Is there a way to not run this mod on certain units? Like a code I can put in their init or something? I think its messing with my AI helicopters.

I have frequent cases where a convoy of vehicles, the AI suddenly thinks there is an obstruction on the road after the 3rd of 4th vic.

This causes the entire rest of the convoy do all sorts of manoeuvres, ranging from driving around the invisible object to doing a 180 and driving 500-1000m back where it came from only to turn back once more and notice the road is clear.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Katsu.I said:

I have frequent cases where a convoy of vehicles, the AI suddenly thinks there is an obstruction on the road after the 3rd of 4th vic.

This causes the entire rest of the convoy do all sorts of manoeuvres, ranging from driving around the invisible object to doing a 180 and driving 500-1000m back where it came from only to turn back once more and notice the road is clear.

Yeah, crap isn't it !  For shame BIS, for shame !