laxemann

Suppress by Jokoho482 and LAxemann - An unforgiving player suppression mod

I totally agree with the philosophy. Hard to create that "1 life" feeling in sims/games. The entire core of simulations, is to trick the human psychology and create that intense immersion. When

we play, we always play with No Respawns. 1life per game. If you die, you have to sit out until

the next one. Absolutely.

Any mods that work on that side of the hobby, gets my vote. Looking forward to finally

trying this one out tonight for our game night. Looks great. Cool stuff bro! Thanks!!

The only way to play! :D

I hope you'll enjoy the mod :)

Awesome mod, definitely adds to the experience. One question: it there a way to modulate how intense the effects are? I quite like them the way they are, but it might be nice to be able to tone down the maximum intensity for some of my less enthusiastic friends.

Thanks for your work!

I was playing and happen to record this footage of your mod, thought I would share. Thanks for an incredible mod.

Oh, didn't even see the video - very nice, glad you're enjoying it and that it's doing the job, haha!

Awesome mod, definitely adds to the experience. One question: it there a way to modulate how intense the effects are? I quite like them the way they are, but it might be nice to be able to tone down the maximum intensity for some of my less enthusiastic friends.

Thanks for your work!

Doing so would be no problem, but at some point it was clear to me that an option like this won't be included.

Suppress is one of these "negative" mods that put players in disadvantage. Most people would tend to tone down the effect but exactly this is what I don't want.

Being suppressed sucks! :D

ok, i totally agree with tricking players into believing in situation, but in my opinion effect this mod creates in some way is opposite to what really should be... Last time I remember being scared to shits - all senses were heightened specially vision and orientation. I think its because adrenaline kicks in, motoring functions go autopilot letting sensory functions use more brain power. For some sensory functions draws too much power or whatever and motoring functions shuts down - its when you crap your pants and can't move a muscle... So i'd say only peripheral vision should be blurred out (or even better DOF'ed) and focal (or center) vision should be sharpened if its possible to achieve in Arma.

ok, i totally agree with tricking players into believing in situation, but in my opinion effect this mod creates in some way is opposite to what really should be... Last time I remember being scared to shits - all senses were heightened specially vision and orientation. I think its because adrenaline kicks in, motoring functions go autopilot letting sensory functions use more brain power. For some sensory functions draws too much power or whatever and motoring functions shuts down - its when you crap your pants and can't move a muscle... So i'd say only peripheral vision should be blurred out (or even better DOF'ed) and focal (or center) vision should be sharpened if its possible to achieve in Arma.

The mod is not trying to recreate the actual feeling of fear, but keeping you behind cover when you're getting shot at.

Looks cool. Bookmarked for future reference but I have a feeling we might see something like this done by Engine in the near future, considering the API suppression addition in the Marksman DLC.

UPDATE

Download

L_Suppress (1.10)

Changelog

• Almost completely switched to CBA's perFrameHandler (Except for the nearby impact effects) - Thanks to Nou for pointing towards this!

• Got rid of pretty much every spawn

• The mod is more accurate now

• You can now be suppressed when turned out of a vehicle

• Official first "Stable" version and players can no longer suppress themselves when using mounted guns and such. (Thanks to Fett_Li!)

• Hopefully fixed the position error

• Added a module so that the mission can enforce the use of Suppress

• Initial release

It should run reeeeeaaaaally smooth now! :)

Edit:

Whoops, uploaded the wrong file.

It's up to date now!

Edited by LAxemann

Small hotfix:

Download

L_Suppress (1.11)

Changelog

• Effects properly disappear when L_suppress_threshold is adjusted via script

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Foxhound - ArmaHolic link is still delivering v1.10, not v1.11

Thank you for the headsup, the Armaholic downloadlink has been fixed :)

Dear LAxemann,

The mod is working great, perhaps a little too well... by that I mean, often the suppression effects (blur, fish eye, desaturation) do not go away anymore until the missions ends. It appears to happen mostly after being suppresed hard by a machine gun, but I'm not 100% sure it happens only in those cases. What should be the normal time for the effects to disappear?

Cheers,

Snotgurg

I LOVE this mod!!!

I can barely breathe when in real life when the effects have kicked in by 25% to my virtual self.

BRILLIANT mod. Totally overhauls how Arma 3 feels, and in an extremely effective way.

THANK YOU!

:bounce3:

Great mod!

I have found one issue:

When you die while being supressed, the effect won´t go away anymore until you relog.

I´m not sure if there is a solution to this?

I absolutely adore this mod, but something about it makes my game along with other people's computers drop frames like crazy, especially when we're heavily suppressed. I suppose the effects are just too much for some reason. I'm not sure if it's due to that or the coding, but it can make up a difference of 10-20 FPS. I remember being suppressed in CQB, and my frame went from 50 to 10 in an instant. It was nuts. Without it, I tried the same situation again, and my frames dropped only slightly instead of a ton as expected. I suspect it may have to do with the suppression system that bCombat has. It makes the AI more effective at suppressive fire, so it might be doing something there that makes this mod go overboard.

I'm really hoping this can be addressed. Dx

Edited by Xyelgazel

I absolutely adore this mod, but something about it makes my game along with other people's computers drop frames like crazy, especially when we're heavily suppressed. I suppose the effects are just too much for some reason. I'm not sure if it's due to that or the coding, but it can make up a difference of 10-20 FPS. I remember being suppressed in CQB, and my frame went from 50 to 10 in an instant. It was nuts. Without it, I tried the same situation again, and my frames dropped only slightly instead of a ton as expected. I suspect it may have to do with the suppression system that bCombat has. It makes the AI more effective at suppressive fire, so it might be doing something there that makes this mod go overboard.

I'm really hoping this can be addressed. Dx

Just curious, was this in SP or MP since bCombat is a SP-only mod.

Just curious, was this in SP or MP since bCombat is a SP-only mod.

It was on a dedicated server.

Also, that's not exactly correct from what I can tell, but I understand what you're saying. It was never really meant for MP, but it does work with it quite well regardless. It seems to be a hit and miss for some servers from what I've heard, though I've had no problem with it personally. Only some of the features don't work, such as surrendering or enhanced hearing which I don't mind, though the basic elements seem to work just as well as it does in single player. Heck, I personally prefer bCombat, even in multiplayer, over that of ASR AI, since the former does a better job of handling cover than the other and is far more aggressive. Just to note, I don't have any optimization issues with it either online. The only big FPS drain, especially during combat, that I've discovered over hours of testing is this particular mod. :(

Keep in mind that I found that this mod causes huge frame drops in both MP and SP. It's not always consistent either, since it may happen during a small firefight or not. It does seem to happen more frequently in large ones, of course.

Edited by Xyelgazel

Hey @LAxe

Is there any possibility to see this as mission-script version?

I m really curious why i can't find any player suppression system in script form :/

Hey @LAxe

Is there any possibility to see this as mission-script version?

I m really curious why i can't find any player suppression system in script form :/

TPWCAS is a different mod with less intense effects but has a script version...not sure if player effects are enabled in the script version though.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

I'm using the post effect Colour Corrections in a mission I'm designing, and when I use this mod it's overriding this every time I take fire. Is there a way to return things to normal once the effect has worn off?

Does this mod work with JIP? If I reconnect to the server, will it work?

Is it possible to get a userconfig option to tone down or remove the blurred screen affect?

I play 1st person only and use asr_ai so I definitely keep my head down anyway and I use your sonic cracks and immerse mods. I really like using this with them but only until the screen gets real blurry. Love the black screen twitches and all other affects (get the heart racing) etc but the blur is too much and forces me to not run it which is a shame as it scares the shit out of me for the first few second of fire fights but unfortunately the blur annoys me enough to drop it from my modline :(

Pretty please :) xxx