laxemann

Suppress by Jokoho482 and LAxemann - An unforgiving player suppression mod

Jokoho482 and LAxemann proudly present...
Suppress

What is Suppress about?
Video games generally can barely recreate one thing:
The fear of losing your life.
In reality, suppressing the enemy by sending shitloads of bullets is so effective because he's sure that sticking out his head will end his life-forever.
This can't be recreated, however, because you won't have that feeling when sitting in front of the PC.
Most players will return fire anyway or at least try to get a glimpse at who's shooting at them.
Usually, you wouldn't continue shooting when a bullet just flew right past your face.

This is especially frustrating when playing TvT missions and firing 100 rounds of a 7.62mm at him doesn't seem to bother the enemy.
This mod is supposed to change this dramatically.

How does it work?
The mod works with a value that checks how "suppressed" you are.
Bullets whizzing nearby (so that you can hear their supersonic crack) will suppress you a bit and nearby impacts will suppress you more.
The amount of suppression added to your suppression value depends on which ammo/weapon was shot at you.
(Firing a 7.62 will suppress more than a pistol...duh! :D)
The suppression value decreases quite fast over time, but not if you're getting shot at, so constant fire will keep you suppressed.
The actual suppression effect consists of an increasing tunnelvision, general blur aswell as a desaturated, bright screen.
You'll still be able to move around just fine, but identifying the enemy that is shooting at you from 100m away won't be possible.

As a little side-thingy, nearby impacting bullets will "scare" you and give you a small effect for ~ half a second.

Also, the mod is completely client-side.

Media?

I can show you a video, but I recommend trying it out yourself.

Download

Steam Workshop

ArmAholic

Changelog

2.04 - Suppress now also works when switching units in Zeus. Can be disabled, but will take another unit swap to take effect.

2.03 - Added: Almost all aspects of the mod are now tweakable via the CBA options menu.
Tweaked: The intensity of the "flyby" effect now scales with a combination of calibre and distance to player

2.02 - You'd get suppressed by a nearby enemy using satchels etc.

2.01 - Fixed the Eden issue

2.0 - Completely rewritten by Jokoho482, renamed to "Suppress by Jokoho482 and LAxemann"
        • Added: Settings; They are handled via the CBA in-game menu. Go to "options -> game -> configure addons"

• Switched to CBA XEH system
        • New way to track projectiles should increase performance (Thanks to Blaubär & Joko!)
        • Rewrote most of the code

• Effects properly disappear when L_suppress_threshold is adjusted via script

• Almost completely switched to CBA's perFrameHandler (Except for the nearby impact effects) - Thanks to Nou for pointing towards this!
        • Got rid of pretty much every spawn
        • The mod is more accurate now
        • You can now be suppressed when turned out of a vehicle

• Official first "Stable" version and players can no longer suppress themselves when using mounted guns and such. (Thanks to Fett_Li!)

• Hopefully fixed the position error

• Added a module so that the mission can enforce the use of Suppress

• Initial release

• Like 7

The idea and general realization is nice, but i won't use it, because shaking screen is very bad idea to simulate supression. Just leave shaking screen for nearby explosions and it will be really nice mod.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

So, since I already got three requests, here's a small update! :)

CHANGELOG

0.91- Added a module so that the mission can enforce the use of Suppress (Module itself is useless otherwise)

The downloadlink in the main post got updated :)

Sorry Foxhound and the others! :( :D

Love it, if you're looking for more ideas look at Red Orchestra 2/ Rising Storm.

Edited by Nevbox

Wow man, love this stuff. Tested it and i hate to say it but the effects are not good. I understand the approach yur after (hide you freaking moron) but the whole post processing affects make this mod not enjoyable. The problem i have is even if i turn away and try to run or going around a large building, the effects are not real. I would love it if they were reduced or only happened during bullet impacts...otherwise i dont think i would use it much which is a shame... :( I hope you can understand

Alright i'm sorry but maybe i spoke to soon. I gotta play a round with it some more. Sorry for jumping the gun if i mistakened how these features work

Edited by JCae2798

New mod v0.9.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@LAxemann;

You are now able to manage your own promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and follow the quick and safe claim procedure to get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way by using any filesharing service and add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Good job with the blur effect, it literally gets the enemies suppressed & creates that sense of being "pinned down" :) But the supersonic crack sound is kinda iffy :( it should sound like this:

Edited by TiborasaurusRex

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

Good job with the blur effect, it literally gets the enemies suppressed & creates that sense of being "pinned down" :) But the supersonic crack sound is kinda iffy :( it should sound like this:

It's not related to the mod^^

Why wont A3 find the userconfig files for any of your immersive mods? I tried using the soundscape and immerse mod and it wont find the config files. Help?

EDIT: Fixed

Edited by brandokid25
Fixed

UPDATE:

Download

0.92 - Hopefully fixed the position error

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

I am a big fan of this - Great work, Mr. Laxemann.

Big fan of your mods LAxemann,

I have but three questions;)

compatible with dragonfyre sonic cracks?(assume so just checking)

Is there any performance hit during or prolonging suppression?

3RD thing is more of a suggestion....what if player can be detected to be in/behind solid cover thus reducing suppression effects,as opposed to out in open where knowledge of no cover would get the heart beating faster causing more panic and suppression effects?

Big fan of your mods LAxemann,

I have but three questions;)

compatible with dragonfyre sonic cracks?(assume so just checking)

Is there any performance hit during or prolonging suppression?

3RD thing is more of a suggestion....what if player can be detected to be in/behind solid cover thus reducing suppression effects,as opposed to out in open where knowledge of no cover would get the heart beating faster causing more panic and suppression effects?

Uhhh, how can it not be compatible with a soundmod? It doesn't change anything :P

As for the performance: We had a small round with 30 people yesterday and no problems.

As for your suggestion: It'll stay as it is and even already checks if there is a n object between the impact and you, reducing the suppression amount a bit. :)

Uhhh, how can it not be compatible with a soundmod? It doesn't change anything :P

As for the performance: We had a small round with 30 people yesterday and no problems.

As for your suggestion: It'll stay as it is and even already checks if there is a n object between the impact and you, reducing the suppression amount a bit. :)

Fantastic!

Thought i read somewhere it introduces sonic cracks??? Well all the better for the no;)

Great addition man,dont stop anytime soon haha

Wow man, love this stuff. Tested it and i hate to say it but the effects are not good. I understand the approach yur after (hide you freaking moron) but the whole post processing affects make this mod not enjoyable. The problem i have is even if i turn away and try to run or going around a large building, the effects are not real. I would love it if they were reduced or only happened during bullet impacts...otherwise i dont think i would use it much which is a shame... :( I hope you can understand

Alright i'm sorry but maybe i spoke to soon. I gotta play a round with it some more. Sorry for jumping the gun if i mistakened how these features work

hey man, so i played a bit more with it and seems to be working pretty well. I think when i first tested it i was set to setdamage false; and effects were a lot stronger due to me being more "out there" or maybe it happens when i'm hit actually? Haven t totally figured it out but either way playing normally it seems to work well. Going to keep it in my MOD pack as a must have. Thanks!

Some people can get into the game enough to not need something like this, but it's just the kind of thing needed for those of us who just can't quite get fully into the role. This basically shoves it down your throat, so to speak, whether you like it or not. Haha.

Such a simple concept, yet I'd have never thought of something like this. You've got a good thing there between your ears. :)

Does this mod effect AI at all? I'm guessing that would be difficult to pull off but it would be awesome for COOPs. Great mod man