Sign in to follow this  
Feint

[sp] Falling Over - SetCenterOfMass Demo

A few people have asked me to upload my falling over mission that's already on Steam so that they can edit it. Here's a preview video:

I've slightly modified the earlier mission to now demonstrate the relationship between setCenterOfMass and getCenterOfMass.

Mission can be downloaded for editing here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQshG747KqKcEVjRXlqektPWlE/view?usp=sharing

Mission available for subscription on Steam here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=217013582
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dude.....THIS IS AWESOME! I like how the objects start sinking to the bottom, and how you can hear the rusted metal on the boat squeaking at the beginning, good luck with your future projects :)

Download link updated in the first post.

This is still awesome.

Just wish the carrier was classified as a boat, that would make it easier to capsize it :D

E: Might have necroed this. Sorry.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 1:11 PM, Berntsen said:

This is still awesome.

Just wish the carrier was classified as a boat, that would make it easier to capsize it :D

E: Might have necroed this. Sorry.

Well, you can create the illusion of a carrier sinking.  Here's how I'd do it:

1. Get the names of all of of the parts of the carrier and add them to an array
    1. Call these parts something like, "_carrierPart1, _carrierPart2", etc.
    2. Add the names to an array
  2. Spawn a boat of some kind, the bigger, the better.
  3. setPos the boat to where it needs to be
  4. Run a forEach line of code that attaches an object to the boat using attachTo forEach carrier part in the array
  5. Then you can apply the code in this downloadable mission to that boat to cause it to list and then sink (theoretically)

Possible/probably hurdles

1. Getting the names of the parts of the carrier after the carrier is spawned will require a few little tricks
    1. You can look at the code for the carrier to see what the part names are and how they are called and positioned when a carrier is spawned
  2. You can use attachTo with an offset like Feint attachTo [chair]; and the attaching object should attach at it's relative position to the object being attached to.  However, the attaching object might end up facing a strange direction after it attaches, which will necessitate the use of setDir to get it oriented correctly
  3. The position of the carrier parts will have to be tweaked in terms of their height above water in order to look correct after they are attached to the boat
  4. If the boat is too small, the carrier will bob up and down in the waves unrealistically
  5. The carrier probably won't function correctly after it's attached to the boat
  6. All of this might not work.  Welcome to Arma where nothing is certain.

• Like 1