So, Mr. Jarhead, any info when is the latest JSRS going to come out? Im really impatient :D

When Its Doneâ„¢

• Like 4

Hello,

I was kinda busy lately with the new nexus update. BIS flipped a lot of entries and added new ones that I can use and create new features upon that. Like the new soniccrack values that allows to have different sounds if the crack appears in the open or in the forest or surrounded by houses for example.

Also the new stereo emitters and panners create many new audible options. The whole new system sounds great and opens the door to many new experiences.

I flipped over all weapon sounds and had to adjust many sounds to stereo. Like the reloading sounds and the gear/suit sounds when moving. The step sounds are still mono on purpose.

All external vehicle sounds, cars, tanks, jets, helicopters and apc's, have tweaked in stereo. So when a car drives towards you it first sounds mono and very directional. But as closer it gets the more it will be audible all around you. Within a certain range tho.

Same goes for weapons and explosions. Soniccrack and bullet hits as well. When you are under fire you here the bullets flip all around you. Which sounds amazingly awesome. Many weapons had to be tweaked in certain ways. One problem I had after I moved in a new apartment was the speakers setup. I tried to set it up the way it was supposed to but I hardly can find the best solution, yet.

That's the reason way it may sound different within the next updates. Basically it gets produced in a new factory heh.

The next update is around the corner. I just need to fix the remaining problems and talk to Jan Dusek about some things that fly around my head. Then I'll head for a solid final release.

Stay with me.

LJ

• Like 19

Thanks for sharing your progress LJ.

I was wondering, maybe you would like to add some of the missing sounds if that is even possible?I think that it could make the mod even more awesome than it is. It's a list I maintained for a while on the Audio Tweaking thread.

List of missing sounds:
Infantry

• Going into boresight view.
  • Turning on and off rifle flashlight/IR pointer
  • Turning on GPS
  • Sounds of turning on and off NVGs - for god's sake, Zeus even has one!
  • Sound of falling bodies.
  • Screams when getting hit
  • No sound during parachuting (wind, parachute fabric)
  • No sound for turning (volume should grow louder according to turn speed)

Armour, Aircraft and Vehicles

• Sounds for switching on and off view modes in weapon sights
  • Sounds for switching between optics modes and zoom levels in gunner and commander sights
  • No sound for entering and exiting tanks, vehicles and aircrafts
  • Sound for knocked down trees
  • Sound for squashed bushes
  • Sound for impacting humans
  • Sound for impacting walls
  • Sound for impacting rocks
  • Sound for moving tank tracks and their friction with the ground (there's only the engine sound).
  • Turning headlights on and off
  • Splash sound when wheels impact a waterline (it was in OFP)
  • Sound for movement of fixed MG/GMG
  • No voice notification of events during the flight. e.g.: Low fuel, Over G, Altitude, Pull up, low speed etc.
  • Like 7

Sounds of turning on and off NVGs - for god's sake, Zeus even has one!

I've never really understood this one.  NVGs, contrary to what games show, don't actually make noise when they power up or down.  It's literally the click of a switch and in 1/2 a second, optics are working.  No sound or anything.  Modern NVGs are very reactive and quick CCD devices, not like old school tube TVs that sound like they're draining half the energy from the power grid. 

While having a "sound source pool" like Variable is asking for would be a nice resource, NVGs really shouldn't be part of that.

• Like 2

It's literally the click of a switch

Exactly. That's what the sound should be. A quiet click of a switch.

• Like 2

+1 I would love to hear this why this isn't standard BIS i don't know.

I'd just like to thank you LJ for your efforts with DF.  I played with your lite version in a milsim group recently and it worked a treat no problems and sounded great.

• Like 3

I've never really understood this one.  NVGs, contrary to what games show, don't actually make noise when they power up or down.  It's literally the click of a switch and in 1/2 a second, optics are working.  No sound or anything.  Modern NVGs are very reactive and quick CCD devices, not like old school tube TVs that sound like they're draining half the energy from the power grid. 

While having a "sound source pool" like Variable is asking for would be a nice resource, NVGs really shouldn't be part of that.

Exactly. That's what the sound should be. A quiet click of a switch.

I don't look for a sound effect of capacitors charging up like on Splinter Cell or anything of that sort. What I am interested in (like in a lot of other items on the list, like GPS, somehow these replies only stick to the NVG) should be some gentle audio indication mainly meant to replace the lack of tactile feedback you have in real life.

Thanks for sharing your progress LJ.

I was wondering, maybe you would like to add some of the missing sounds if that is even possible?I think that it could make the mod even more awesome than it is. It's a list I maintained for a while on the Audio Tweaking thread.

List of missing sounds:Infantry

• Going into boresight view.
  • Turning on and off rifle flashlight/IR pointer
  • Turning on GPS
  • Sounds of turning on and off NVGs - for god's sake, Zeus even has one!
  • Sound of falling bodies.
  • Screams when getting hit
  • No sound for turning (volume should grow louder according to turn speed)

Armour, Aircraft and Vehicles

• Sounds for switching on and off view modes in weapon sights
  • Sounds for switching between optics modes and zoom levels in gunner and commander sights
  • No sound for entering and exiting tanks, vehicles and aircrafts
  • Sound for knocked down trees
  • Sound for squashed bushes
  • Sound for impacting humans
  • Sound for impacting walls
  • Sound for impacting rocks
  • Sound for moving tank tracks and their friction with the ground (there's only the engine sound).
  • Turning headlights on and off
  • Splash sound when wheels impact a waterline (it was in OFP)
  • Sound for movement of fixed MG/GMG
  • No voice notification of events during the flight. e.g.: Low fuel, Over G, Altitude, Pull up, low speed etc.

Well I would love to change or better said add these noises to the game. Sadly as there are no entries given by bis, I'm probably unable to apply these effects. I would love to tho. And thanks for the list you just poster here. That's a great to do list to follow up maybe. Tho I'm thinking that most things are not possible without scripting.

+1 I would love to hear this why this isn't standard BIS i don't know.

I'd just like to thank you LJ for your efforts with DF.  I played with your lite version in a milsim group recently and it worked a treat no problems and sounded great.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope I can keep up the quality and quantity of this mod.

LJ

• Like 4

Thats a shame what you said about it being unlikely you could add those extra sounds-I really wish the parachute was not so silent! I know that HALO script has sounds for falling and the chute opening etc,but just normal parachutes should have the sound of the material billowing and some wind sounds.

So actually I'm uploading a first build of the last version of DragonFyre. It will be JSRS3 DragonFyre 2.5. Thats the last and final verion of JSRS DragonFyre. There will only be THIS ONE VERSION. No differences between Script and Light and all that bull.

So the version I'm uploading is for testing purposes if everything works and such. MP and all the mentioned issues should be fixed but you can never know.

Still there are some things unclear. I created the new triggers for Soniccracks Globals. Means that there will be different crack sounds based on environment, like Forest, Meadow or Houses. Those should be triggered somehow but they wont right now, which is kinda odd. Looks like this:

class SCrackForest
            {
                range[] = {0,500};
                sound1[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_forest (1)",1,1,500};
                sound2[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_forest (2)",1,1,500};
                sound3[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_forest (3)",1,1,500};
                sound4[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_forest (4)",1,1,500};
                sounds[] = {"sound1",0.25,"sound2",0.25,"sound3",0.25,"sound4",025};
                frequency = "((speed factor [330, 930]) * 0.1) + 1.05";
                trigger = "forest";
            };
            class SCrackTrees
            {
                range[] = {0,500};
                sound1[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_forest (1)",1,1,500};
                sound2[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_forest (2)",1,1,500};
                sound3[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_forest (3)",1,1,500};
                sound4[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_forest (4)",1,1,500};
                trigger = "trees";
            };
            class SCrackMeadow
            {
                range[] = {0,500};
                sound1[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_meadow (1)",1,1,500};
                sound2[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_meadow (2)",1,1,500};
                sound3[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_meadow (3)",1,1,500};
                sound4[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_meadow (4)",1,1,500};
                trigger = "meadow max sea";
            };
            class SCrackHouses
            {
                range[] = {0,500};
                sound1[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_houses (1)",1,1,500};
                sound2[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_houses (2)",1,1,500};
                sound3[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_houses (3)",1,1,500};
                sound4[] = {"\DragonFyre_P_Environmensounds\Sonic_Cracks\Globals\Shotgun_houses (4)",1,1,500};
                trigger = "houses max interior";
            };

Anyone any idea why it wont work? I guess I might tweak the triggers a little. Going from "forest" to something like "forest*trees*(1-night)"; or so... we'll see.

Also the new implemented stereo emitter and panner system causes some trouble currently. Sounds will be played on a certain angle and stays there. So for example you here a shooter to your left, the sound will be played and has a tail. Now you turn around like 180 degrees and now you here the still playing firing sounds on your right since the sound is kinda fixed to the camera angle and not a solid position on the map... which drives me crazy currently... You hear someone on your left shooting at you, you quickly turn around and hear the sound or at least the last bit of it to your right. So you are unable to really pinpoint the enemy right now...

Weird, wondering if thats a common issue or if my panner entries are messed up :O

LJ

• Like 4

Also the new implemented stereo emitter and panner system causes some trouble currently. Sounds will be played on a certain angle and stays there. So for example you here a shooter to your left, the sound will be played and has a tail. Now you turn around like 180 degrees and now you here the still playing firing sounds on your right since the sound is kinda fixed to the camera angle and not a solid position on the map... which drives me crazy currently... You hear someone on your left shooting at you, you quickly turn around and hear the sound or at least the last bit of it to your right. So you are unable to really pinpoint the enemy right now...

Weird, wondering if thats a common issue or if my panner entries are messed up :o

LJ

This happens a lot in Arma3 with various sounds like the church bells.

Frankly, of all the games I own, Arma's sound engine is truly the worst - my hats off to you for making it an enjoyable experience nonetheless!

When will it be ready for download!? ;)

Will i have to install this mod in the servar also!?

When its done :P Can't say yet.

No its a client side only mod this time. Only the key must be allowed on the server and its good to go. No CBA required anymore as well.

LJ

• Like 4

So I tested both ArmA3 vanilla and with JSRS. There seems to be a problem with the explosion effect, the LowPassFilter seems not to be applied to it, you know, this thing that makes the explosion muffled over a certain distance. Its supposed to filter frequencies out of the sample to that you just hear a low thud in the distance. But currently I can hear my explosions still crystal clear over any distance, same with Vanilla sounds. Anyone else has this problem?

LJ

• Like 1

You really need to add mirrors for JSRS3: Dragonfyre v 2.01! Armaholic's download speeds are ridiculous, I'm only getting around 50 KBps when I should be getting 3 MBps!

@Lord Jarhead: Yes, I have noticed that as well. To be honest, it doesn't bother me that much as I used to think distant explosions were too quiet and muffled even in the vanilla version. But, you aren't alone in noticing it.

Would there be any way for the sounds you make when moving to be a little more noticeable? Whenever we did patrols IRL, you would hear canteens rattle (before my actual unit got camelbaks), stuff in your pack moving, plus anything extra strapped to you jingling around.

It's a personal preference though. Most gear is strapped down really well or packed well enough to not make so much noise. But I loved how it made you sound geared up.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is the 2.01 patch using many of the same sounds for guns? Like how many of the guns with silencers on them have the same sound.

Mr. Jarhead

Reading through miles of posts I know you are a stickler for perfection. Therefore my observations are veeeeeery gently laid on your desk for you to review.

I don't know what type of helicopter it is that has the sound of a Turbo Model T. This is the best way I can describe it. Aplogies if this has been reported earlier. I have a short clip if needed when I get a few minutes.

I also noticed there is no sond assiciated with,...say switching from Katiba to pistol or vice versa. Example, soft clothing swish sound.

Thanks

You really need to add mirrors for JSRS3: Dragonfyre v 2.01! Armaholic's download speeds are ridiculous, I'm only getting around 50 KBps when I should be getting 3 MBps!

Well that might be a temporarily thing on Armaholic and usually it's pretty fast, at least for me. Also there is Six and our download section on JSRS-Studios.com. These can't be slow normally... Besides I would be careful saying Armaholic speeds are ridiculous honestly because its a service no one of use is paying for... so they dont really have the speed declared in any contract that they have to fulfill :P

@Lord Jarhead: Yes, I have noticed that as well. To be honest, it doesn't bother me that much as I used to think distant explosions were too quiet and muffled even in the vanilla version. But, you aren't alone in noticing it.

Ah ok, thanks. I was wondering if my game got messed in some point. Because I had a small 2MB update and suddenly it went to a 7,2 GB update :O Took me some hours to update my game even if it was complete.... thanks Steam :X

Would there be any way for the sounds you make when moving to be a little more noticeable? Whenever we did patrols IRL, you would hear canteens rattle (before my actual unit got camelbaks), stuff in your pack moving, plus anything extra strapped to you jingling around.

It's a personal preference though. Most gear is strapped down really well or packed well enough to not make so much noise. But I loved how it made you sound geared up.

I tried to create a sounds for moving cloths, stuff in your backpack. So I put the microphone inside a backpack, outside of it and so on and recorded it. Coming up with the best gear sounds I created so far, in my opinion at least. Those are already in earlier releases but maybe I can add something to them... but as you said, most gear is strapped really good. They shouldn't make much noises during a sneaky mission...

Is it just me or is the 2.01 patch using many of the same sounds for guns? Like how many of the guns with silencers on them have the same sound.

SD weapons share the same sounds, yes. I had only sounds for two sorts of pistols, two rifles, DMRs and others. But thats mostly it. So I aim to make SD sounds for each weapon individually.

Mr. Jarhead

Reading through miles of posts I know you are a stickler for perfection. Therefore my observations are veeeeeery gently laid on your desk for you to review.

I don't know what type of helicopter it is that has the sound of a Turbo Model T. This is the best way I can describe it. Aplogies if this has been reported earlier. I have a short clip if needed when I get a few minutes.

I also noticed there is no sond assiciated with,...say switching from Katiba to pistol or vice versa. Example, soft clothing swish sound.

Thanks

Oh ok, thats weird. I will look into the weapon-switch sounds. Normally there should be a sound for that. Any RPT`s maybe you've seen?

Yeah would be cool if you could post the video so I know what you mean exactly before I go do things blindly. But dont post it on YouTube under a weird name like "JSRS DragonFyre weird stupid Turbo model T engine helicopter sounds that sucks" or so :P People think thats the sound this mod makes intentionally rather than a mistake. :)

LJ

• Like 1

Normally there should be a sound for that. Any RPT`s maybe you've seen?

I'll try to capture again on my next session

Edit: I just researched the "no sound" issue I reported earlier. Updated findings are

1) I have sound if I switch from Rifle to handgun and vice versa.

2) I do not have sound switching from binoculars to weapon and vice versa.

I don't know what type of helicopter it is that has the sound of a Turbo Model T.

Yeah would be cool if you could post the video so I know what you mean exactly before I go do things blindly.

https://youtu.be/IB0lyXa0XOU

As to which version I have, all I can submit is that your files are dated 11/2 and 11/7 in the "Addons" folder. Wish I could be more accurate.

Accumulating quite a number of mods so I have decided to insert release information in a more reliable way on my PC so that I can spit that out in situations like this.

Noticed this as well, another thing was that the gun sound was loud even when using a silencer. I could hear echo effects as well. Would be awesome if they got a bit of polish and lower volumes in a future update.

/KC