LJ you're a beast dude amazing work can't wait to try it,wish you all the best with your amazing and fabulous work arma lacked those incoming jet sounds fear play's a big part on the war and we all know loudness=danger=fear.

Love the new car effects, very authentic.

Just checked arty shells and demo/satchel charges, it seems they're a bit out of proportions from a loudness point of view.

Testing the mortars, 155mm howitzer and the 230mm MLRS all 3 of them are at the same volume, no matter if they impact at 500m or at 100m,

putting that aside they're way too quiet, firing a pistol is louder than a 230mm rocket impacting 100m near the player.

GBUs seem to be untouched, still using vanilla sound effects.

All explosions (including satchel and demo charges) seem to be inaudible above 1500m.

Noticed something weird with the 230mm rockets too, explosions seem to be played near instant without taking speed of sound into consideration, all other arty pieces do this just fine.

Watched the RC6 video, might be just me, rifles sound somehow flat,

as if the samples lost all transients, no attack, no peak so to say,

just all flat and going straight into a tail that's as loud as the actual shot, could just be youtube though.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to test the new car effects!

Cheers

Guys, no jet sounds like that IRL ^^ Its just that you never heard such an effect in a game before and because of weak jet sounds over the years we all associate this noise with a jet. But if you are ingame with DFyre, you can clearly hear whats a jet and whats a approaching car, you might just have to get used to it over time. I got real quick.

Tho I will still tweak some things here and there and will probably lower them a little. :)

LJ

I love it! Thanks LJ!!

Love the new car effects, very authentic.

Just checked arty shells and demo/satchel charges, it seems they're a bit out of proportions from a loudness point of view.

Testing the mortars, 155mm howitzer and the 230mm MLRS all 3 of them are at the same volume, no matter if they impact at 500m or at 100m,

putting that aside they're way too quiet, firing a pistol is louder than a 230mm rocket impacting 100m near the player.

GBUs seem to be untouched, still using vanilla sound effects.

All explosions (including satchel and demo charges) seem to be inaudible above 1500m.

Noticed something weird with the 230mm rockets too, explosions seem to be played near instant without taking speed of sound into consideration, all other arty pieces do this just fine.

Watched the RC6 video, might be just me, rifles sound somehow flat,

as if the samples lost all transients, no attack, no peak so to say,

just all flat and going straight into a tail that's as loud as the actual shot, could just be youtube though.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to test the new car effects!

Cheers

Well these are facts based on the old RC release you use, right? I fixed most of this stuff. Tho some explosions are still a bit quiet as they are using the wrong Class from the script. Thats on my list tho.

And the weapons are not flat at all, there is more bass in them as ever before, might be YouTube, not sure. I can assure there is damn good pressure on them right now :)

LJ

Hey Lj

Maybe if u got time u can show us some mortar / 155 / 230mm / Gbu's in action ? from distant/close :)

Can't wait to see what explosion looks like now :D

Ur 'random footage' showcase was really awesome dude.. give us some more :)

Apparently I was able to deal some really nice effects with two controllers for damperEffect and VelocityMax for vehicles causing real off road soundings when driving fast over hillocks and knolls and stuff. Kinda cool.

Yeah I will have a deep look into all the MRLS weapons and Arty shells to make sure they all got their effects running. From time to time I receive problems as stated above with the timing. Thats because right before the explosion the initial projectile is deleted and replaced by actual visible one which cause the script to think the initial projectile hit something or detonated. I see how I can come up with something there.

LJ

Apparently I was able to deal some really nice effects with two controllers for damperEffect and VelocityMax for vehicles causing real off road soundings when driving fast over hillocks and knolls and stuff. Kinda cool.

Yeah I will have a deep look into all the MRLS weapons and Arty shells to make sure they all got their effects running. From time to time I receive problems as stated above with the timing. Thats because right before the explosion the initial projectile is deleted and replaced by actual visible one which cause the script to think the initial projectile hit something or detonated. I see how I can come up with something there.

LJ

Awesome LJ, thanks for your hard work !

Well these are facts based on the old RC release you use, right? I fixed most of this stuff. Tho some explosions are still a bit quiet as they are using the wrong Class from the script. Thats on my list tho.

And the weapons are not flat at all, there is more bass in them as ever before, might be YouTube, not sure. I can assure there is damn good pressure on them right now :)

LJ

Yeah, I'm using the RC4, good to know you got these things covered.

Any insight on the audible distance of things?

It was plain awesome in 1.5 to hear explosions from 8km distance, even if they were barely noticeable.

Cheers

Yeah, I'm using the RC4, good to know you got these things covered.

Any insight on the audible distance of things?

It was plain awesome in 1.5 to hear explosions from 8km distance, even if they were barely noticeable.

Cheers

The main problem would be the performance, imagine the time that would pass for a sound to travel 8 km and finally end up with the player, in that time the script has to be active. Now, these explosions would need to be really big tho and they don't appear as often as let's see a 20/30mm HE round of a helicopter or APC. So I guess it would be OK having these giant distances for larger ammunitions. Like GBU and Arty or tank shells.

I will see about that as I first would need the new script implemented.

LJ

The main problem would be the performance, imagine the time that would pass for a sound to travel 8 km and finally end up with the player, in that time the script has to be active. Now, these explosions would need to be really big tho and they don't appear as often as let's see a 20/30mm HE round of a helicopter or APC. So I guess it would be OK having these giant distances for larger ammunitions. Like GBU and Arty or tank shells.

I will see about that as I first would need the new script implemented.

LJ

Really appreciate your work.

You're right about the size of the explosion,

an explosion of around 170dB results in a 30dB noise at 8km distance,

which is barely more than a whisper, so only the biggest explosions would qualify for this.

As for performance it shouldn't be too heavy to use a sleep calculated by distance to the explosion and then play the correct sample for that specific player at that specific distance.

Even having 100 sleeps running shouldn't be an issue, except there's tons of stuff going on already, heh.

Been thoroughly testing RC4 with my ambient civilian stuff sporting up to 300 active civilians (each running his own FSM) within 1km around the player,

having some 20ish opfor units engage 20ish blufor + armor/cas and arty without experiencing any sound delays or script hickkups or anything else for that matter.

Cheers

Really appreciate your work.

You're right about the size of the explosion,

an explosion of around 170dB results in a 30dB noise at 8km distance,

which is barely more than a whisper, so only the biggest explosions would qualify for this.

As for performance it shouldn't be too heavy to use a sleep calculated by distance to the explosion and then play the correct sample for that specific player at that specific distance.

Even having 100 sleeps running shouldn't be an issue, except there's tons of stuff going on already, heh.

Been thoroughly testing RC4 with my ambient civilian stuff sporting up to 300 active civilians (each running his own FSM) within 1km around the player,

having some 20ish opfor units engage 20ish blufor + armor/cas and arty without experiencing any sound delays or script hickkups or anything else for that matter.

Cheers

Would you be so kind dropping your specs and ingame settings maybe? Would be interesting I guess.

LJ

How's going artillery bomb drop and hitting sound? any progress? :D

Arty and GBU/Mk bombs need some love. Agreed.

It's kind of strange not really hearing any explosion sounds when a CAS plane drops a few bombs. :rolleyes:

Would you be so kind dropping your specs and ingame settings maybe? Would be interesting I guess.

Running a 4770k @4.5ghz with a 770 4gb, so nothing special really.

Output via HDMI to a denon receiver into B&W 5.1 setup.

Ingame settings are all on ultra, view/object distance on most islands at 6km, zargabad/takistan at 12km, on altis 2km (hard to get a playable performance there with around 300 active\2600 buffered civs for some weird reason, maybe the object count there is already out of whack, who knows)

It's kind of strange not really hearing any explosion sounds when a CAS plane drops a few bombs. :rolleyes:

Read the page again, he'll see to it.

Cheers

While the tires noise is a step forward of what we ve seen (heard) for ARMA standards..

I believe the effect must be toned down just-a-bit /also the fading distance must be shorter.

i m also sure..we are going to get lots of "false" reports for "INCOMING JET!!....*oh!...it was a car*..." on the field :)

Actually, it's the other way round.

They fade too quickly. Compared to real life.

But for Arma purposes, it seems perfect as shown in the video, as other louder sounds fade much quicker than they do in real life, too.

Just go to a quiet, open area with a country road nearby, then listen to vehicles driving along the road and try to estimate their distance.

You can clearly hear heavy or fast vehicles over surprisingly long distances.

Anyway. LJ, the new vehicle driving sounds are beyond amazing.

And so are the new jet sounds.

Being used to vanilla now again, I would have never imagined Arma can actually sound that realistic and just that fucking awesome.

I mean, I highly appreciate the increased efforts of the audio devs and I can clearly see progress now in vanilla. E.g. the new coax machinegun sounds are great.

But then, comparing LJ's vehicle driving sounds and jet sounds to vanilla, still makes vanilla appear like it's sound effects from a 10 year old low budget simulation.

So far so good. Was able to sort out the effects that caused problems and replaced these by non-script sounds. But thats for real rare classes like the Cluster 155mm rounds that dont appear that often and have a real distinctive sound. They are loud and ugly right now, just how it supposed to sounds like :P

But so far, all Arty and MRLS rounds that seemed to cause problems are fixed. Also there is no timing problem anymore.

Thats from the old RC4, as stated, all different now :) I should make a video and show some progress. Will also increase the distances a bit further.

Running a 4770k @4.5ghz with a 770 4gb, so nothing special really.

Output via HDMI to a denon receiver into B&W 5.1 setup.

Ingame settings are all on ultra, view/object distance on most islands at 6km, zargabad/takistan at 12km, on altis 2km (hard to get a playable performance there with around 300 active\2600 buffered civs for some weird reason, maybe the object count there is already out of whack, who knows)

Cheers

Yeah right, who knows what it is... :P Thanks for the reply mate ;)

Actually, it's the other way round.

They fade too quickly. Compared to real life.

But for Arma purposes, it seems perfect as shown in the video, as other louder sounds fade much quicker than they do in real life, too.

Just go to a quiet, open area with a country road nearby, then listen to vehicles driving along the road and try to estimate their distance.

You can clearly hear heavy or fast vehicles over surprisingly long distances.

Anyway. LJ, the new vehicle driving sounds are beyond amazing.

And so are the new jet sounds.

Being used to vanilla now again, I would have never imagined Arma can actually sound that realistic and just that fucking awesome.

I mean, I highly appreciate the increased efforts of the audio devs and I can clearly see progress now in vanilla. E.g. the new coax machinegun sounds are great.

But then, comparing LJ's vehicle driving sounds and jet sounds to vanilla, still makes vanilla appear like it's sound effects from a 10 year old low budget simulation.

Thanks Pils,

been working on the values a bit, I have a little problem as I try to cover all the different ways people play the game, like with Stereo Headphones, Stereo Speakers and 5.1 speakers, so I try checking all three and adjust the values so its the best compromise between those three. Also discovered that the game plays Stereo Files way louder then Mono, I would have thought it does not, but no wonder I ran into volume probs the other day.

After all, the vehicle tire effects got a bit quieter on close ranges and audible on a bit further distances. Around 2 km for a normal to fast driving car is enough, maybe a bit further for trucks and heavy wheeled APCs. Also looked over the helicopters and kinda did the same thing with them on distances. So you hear a flat, bass-less windy waving quiet noise first, that you know there is SOMETHING coming in. The closer it gets the more distinctive the sound become :)

LJ

LJ, have you ever considered adding sound effects for the following stuff and the like? This is probably just a partial list, but it convey the type of missing stuff I talk about.

Going into boresight view

Turning on and off rifle flashlight/IR pointer

Turning on/off GPS

Sounds of turning on and off NVGs

Sound of falling bodies

AI Scream when getting hit

Sounds for switching on and off view modes in weapon sights (thermal/NV/optical etc.)

Sounds for switching between optics modes and zoom levels in vehicles' gunner and commander sights

Sound for impacting humans with a vehicle

Turning vehicle headlights on and off

Edited by Variable

After all, the vehicle tire effects got a bit quieter on close ranges and audible on a bit further distances. Around 2 km for a normal to fast driving car is enough, maybe a bit further for trucks and heavy wheeled APCs. Also looked over the helicopters and kinda did the same thing with them on distances. So you hear a flat, bass-less windy waving quiet noise first, that you know there is SOMETHING coming in. The closer it gets the more distinctive the sound become :)

LJ

Just what it takes to set up some bloody ambush ;)

Very good idea, which could have a serious gameplay value!

Can't wait to see more random action with those kind of features

Edited by Megiddo

Dat next release is going to kick ass! \o/

Thanks Pils,

been working on the values a bit, I have a little problem as I try to cover all the different ways people play the game, like with Stereo Headphones, Stereo Speakers and 5.1 speakers, so I try checking all three and adjust the values so its the best compromise between those three. Also discovered that the game plays Stereo Files way louder then Mono, I would have thought it does not, but no wonder I ran into volume probs the other day.

LJ

Absolutely. There is no doubt that many effects can't have 100% realistic parameters.

The examples in your video were just fine for me.

I really miss playing with your mod and hope all the issues with the scripts and Laxemann's potential new scripts and all that works out well.

I'd give away a few FPS for great sound any day.

Oh and, don't pressure yourself. There is no way one can expect that a completely free mod comes as a single perfect release. And even if it was perfect, some people would still complain.

We don't mind some bugs or some effects possibly being not perfectly adjusted.

Is there a basic problem with the house collapse sounds in ArmA? It seems that when a house collapses on the left side, I hear it on the left speaker (obviously) but when I turn the sound continuously plays on the left speaker even if I turn 180° and the house collapse sound should be on the right now as the building is to my right. I also have the same problem with a burning wrack. Staying next to it, its on my left, i hear the fire on the left speaker, I turn around, the wrack is on my right, still hear the fire on my left speaker... is that an ArmA vanilla problem or am I miss something in my configs?

LJ

its vanilla, it depends on how its called.. ie say3D doesnt do that..

I dont know what call it is but i know for a fact that that is a vanilla issue. and it has to do with which script call is used to play the sound.

I don't know what's worse, to be sound freak or FPS freak :)

Either way it won't let you enjoy any game at 100% you keep focusing on sound and frames.

I don't know what's worse, to be sound freak or FPS freak :)

In any way and if your hardware config is not from NASA you'll end up making some choices :)

Alive, ACE, ASRAI have a performance cost, content-only mods (RHS, Massi's, RH acc/weaps) have little to no impact, then there are "cosmetic" mods, which are a big part for arma, and among them Blastcore and JSRS certainly have a special place^^

Edited by Megiddo

Is there a basic problem with the house collapse sounds in ArmA? It seems that when a house collapses on the left side, I hear it on the left speaker (obviously) but when I turn the sound continuously plays on the left speaker even if I turn 180° and the house collapse sound should be on the right now as the building is to my right. I also have the same problem with a burning wrack. Staying next to it, its on my left, i hear the fire on the left speaker, I turn around, the wrack is on my right, still hear the fire on my left speaker... is that an ArmA vanilla problem or am I miss something in my configs?

LJ

The building collapsing is vanilla problem. It's the same with the thunder for example. But burning wrecks should be constantly 3D.